DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-17-2014, 01:16 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

On a professional level - his time and musicality are both lacking, for starters. Without a doubt. Not to beat a dead horse.
That said, he's an alright drummer. There are some youtube drummers that should probably refrain from uploading stuff, but I don't think he is one.
much of the jam/imrpov stuff I watched didn't click for me as a viewer or listener. Again, definitely lacking in musicality and phrasing.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDark3r View Post
Yeah I'm defending the guy and I don't mean to bash you
1) Link the video and I'll believe you. I've watched a ton of his videos and I can't recall him saying that.
2) I don't agree. He gets a ton of requests every day so obviously he will cover a song that someone have requested. He also covers a lot of new songs and as fast a new song hits the top 25 someone will request it.
3) Weak argument from my side here: It is his videos and his covers. Correct me if I'm wrong but you can find him just grooving behind a band live.

He might not be the worlds greatest but he is a good inspiration. He teaches the importance to practice to a metronome and he shows that it's all about having fun behind the kit.
1) I am not wasting the precious time and resource I have looking through all his videos again. You'll find its one of the more waffly ones like his autobiographical videos where he talks about his life etc (apparently he's a celebrity in the music business)

2) My argument is that he should perhaps spend more time working on his weaknesses than playing covers on youtube. He will always stay stuck as a musician by playing other stuff in his own interpretation. I call 'improving the beat' a cop out, I actually think he just can't play it as played on record. It's conning people and influencing those who perhaps aren't musically that wise into thinking drummers who don't play flashy are crap.

3) Never looked for his live band stuff, I have limited time to do musical research and I don't feel I will learn much from him. That isn't meant to be a slight, I don't really listen to Rush or Dream Theater any more and they are my favourite bands. I need to listen to music where I can actually apply drum beats that are in my capability and also, songs where it is important to learn not to play a plethora of fills, just because you can.

I won't doubt his influence for one moment, he gets a lot of views on his videos but youtube should not be the measuring stick that defines success. I wish I had all the Zildjian K's he has believe me.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:57 AM
Platinum Member

Just for fun, if I took away the beautiful avatar, what do you really think about Bo Eder?

Hahahaha! Don't answer that - I got enough of my own problems ;)
Old 02-17-2014, 04:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFrench501 View Post
3) Never looked for his live band stuff, I have limited time to do musical research and I don't feel I will learn much from him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdXB7o0VlpQ
Old 02-17-2014, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPockets View Post
Dear lord. I have no inherent issue with Casey Cooper but his live band playing is the epitome of everything that I dislike. Chopping all over behind a chorus is a sure-fire way of getting you fired from most gigs, as is the disrupted time feel he has at points, dragging and then speeding up.

I think the guy is a fair player. I don't dislike him particularly on any level but I think there are some glaring weaknesses there that perhaps he isn't aware of.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:16 PM

I can't place why... but he annoys me. Shows off too much, like when Taylor Swift "got down" while playing her song at the Grammys, I'm just like... "oh... You're cool... NAHT!".

Meytal Cohen is one of the only youtube cover people I watch on a regular basis.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:58 PM
Pioneer Member

This whole thread is weird to me. Most of the time when someone uses trickery to promote themselves, we run them out on a rail and lock the thread.

The drumming and production is far from remarkable but as was said earlier, it's not the worst thing on the internet. I don't think it's worth this many responses, but maybe that's why I'm adding mine to the pile.

This kid could be doing far worse things than posting mediocre videos on youtube, so in that regard I guess I'll give it a score of "meh..."
Old 02-17-2014, 08:27 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Ok, in an effort to give this guy more of a fair chance than I've alrerady given, I watched the 'live' video. He behaves like Travis Barker, but apparently doesn't think he needs to play much 2 & 4.

I got through about 30 seconds, and in that time he executed everything well. Unfortunately, most bands/artists don't want all that syncopated snare stuff, they want 2 & 4. They really, really do. Some songs sound great with the offbeat snare, but the song in this video isn't one of them.

Bermuda
Old 02-17-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
This whole thread is weird to me. Most of the time when someone uses trickery to promote themselves, we run them out on a rail and lock the thread.
I think the resulting fallout serves as an important lesson on a few levels.

Bermuda
Old 02-17-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
I think it's pretty obvious which member of that band thinks he's the star who everyone has come to see!
Old 02-17-2014, 10:05 PM
Gold Member

that's church?! I need to turn in my atheist card and start going...nah. holy crap ( sorry lord) but a stage and lights and stuff, that's not the image I get when I think of my church.
Pearl 2002C
Guru supporter
Andy Nemesis
Old 02-17-2014, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
OK, I gave it 50 seconds. I still enjoy Animal backing up Rita Moreno more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDjXeWksP4w
Old 02-17-2014, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Dear lord. I have no inherent issue with Casey Cooper but his live band playing is the epitome of everything that I dislike. Chopping all over behind a chorus is a sure-fire way of getting you fired from most gigs, as is the disrupted time feel he has at points, dragging and then speeding up.

I think the guy is a fair player. I don't dislike him particularly on any level but I think there are some glaring weaknesses there that perhaps he isn't aware of.
Come on though, you've got to admit that bass drum sound is pretty awesome... ;)
Old 02-17-2014, 11:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQleyR View Post
Come on though, you've got to admit that bass drum sound is pretty awesome... ;)

Le sigh.

That is all.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:18 AM
Platinum Member

I watched the last video linked for nearly two minutes and didn't hear two bars he played alike.

Good luck finding steady session work, buddy.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:21 PM

Wow. Just checked out some of the vids. Never heard of this guy, but it's pretty amazing that he's got millions of views on his channel. Just goes to show how far savvy promotion and stick flips will get you.

Now, HERE'S how to do a cover, IMO. Troy Wright is one of my favorite "youtube drummers", mainly because you know for a fact that this guy can cut it on pretty much any stage once you hear him play. Absolutely killer .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-ga4G6kxIU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv_YCUYtGaA

Just my $.02!
Old 02-22-2014, 12:17 AM

Not a huge fan and not sure why he gets so many views but at the end of the day he's doing something he loves and what makes him happy just like all of us... Drums! Although saying that I which he would stop doing stick tricks and just play the drums haha! :)
Old 02-22-2014, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryOnDrums View Post
...it's pretty amazing that he's got millions of views on his channel. Just goes to show how far savvy promotion and stick flips will get you.
Exactly where did it get him? Apart from revenues from the ads that are allowed to run in their entirety, is he known beyond YouTube? Is he gigging? Does he have a career drumming as a result of the views?

Or maybe I'm the one who's been doing this all wrong, getting paid to play with other musicians in front of live audiences... what a chump I am. :(

j/k of course, but I wouldn't trade all the fame on YouTube for whatever it is I've achieved in real life.

Bermuda
Old 02-27-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Exactly where did it get him? Apart from revenues from the ads that are allowed to run in their entirety, is he known beyond YouTube? Is he gigging?
The lucky so and so gets cymbal endorsements and kit endorsements. Sick when you think about the amount of talent out there that doesn't get any sort of help, and he gets it on a platter.

Still fair play to him, guess I just wish I had all those cymbals and practical use for them instead of sitting pretty on a rack!
Old 02-27-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFrench501 View Post
The lucky so and so gets cymbal endorsements and kit endorsements. Sick when you think about the amount of talent out there that doesn't get any sort of help, and he gets it on a platter.
Endorsements are about level of exposure, not (necessarily) about talent. Apparently he's got sufficient exposure.

Endorsements are not (necessarily) about drummers that deserve or have somehow earned a helping hand. It's a mutual agreement intended to benefit the manufacturer through the artist's exposure to potential customers.

Also, nobody except he and the companies know what he gets "on a platter". There are very few endorsements that are completely comped, and many discounts aren't as hefty as you'd think. The consideration to the artist is based on - and here's that word again - exposure.

Cooper's got exposure, but I wonder if he'll ever get a gig?

Bermuda
Old 03-15-2014, 05:09 PM

The best thing that this drummer could do is read all of Bermuda's posts and take them to heart to improve.

Getting instant feedback from great players when you are young is a key to becoming a good player and getting better.

It's funny... I was just watching a Taylor Hawkins interview last night where he was talking about how when he was a teen he thought he was the best f$)(@&: drummer in the world...

... and then he started working and went into the studio and of course was humbled..

This kid, I think, probably has that same (typical young) attitude.

He'll learn.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:51 AM

Hey everyone!

My name is Casey Cooper, but on YouTube my username is "COOP3RDRUMM3R"

I was directed to this forum post by someone on Twitter and after reading it I just wanted to take a little bit to clear up a few things for all of you, as well as offer some insight into a few things. This will be a long response, because I am always long winded and also because there is a ton to respond to.

Firstly, although practically every response on this page was highly critical and an attempt to point out everything each person could find that was annoying, or bad, or wrong, or a mistake in what I do, I would like to thank everyone for checking out the videos. It's obvious they are not for you, but to know you took the time to check them out (whether it was just to bash them or not) is appreciated. I would request that if you truly feel you need to be a judge of what I do and my drumming that instead of judging "gangnam style" (a video in which I dance and goof off and wear a suit and sunglasses and basically just fool around) or some of my older stuff, you take a minute to check out something new. Everyone has a journey musically and we are all improving. I leave up the old stuff because I like to show my viewers that exact point, we all were once a lesser version of ourselves now. We must practice and play and gain experience to improve and no one should be frustrated or discouraged because their level now doesn't match up to someone else's current level. They were where you are now at one point in their life.

I'd like to next point out that many of your statements are very true and I in no way disagree. There are many points in my videos (more predominantly in my older videos, but not absent from more recent ones) where there are timing issues, dirt and definitely apparent immaturity in my playing (where parts that shouldn't be played are played). I could have used multiple takes, or camera cuts, or done it multiple times until the timing and everything was absolutely perfect, but that's not what I want to show my viewers. None of them are perfect, so why on earth should I make it seem like I am? I'm supposed to tell them its ok to make a mistake, we all do, but to be encouraging them to practice and get better.

I think the thing that gets me the most about threads like these about myself is everyone always instantly feels the need to say that I'm some cocky dude who thinks he's all that and I need to be humbled and taught that I'm not that great, like the quote from the last post here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.L. View Post
thought he was the best f$)(@&: drummer in the world...
... and then he started working and went into the studio and of course was humbled..
This kid, I think, probably has that same (typical young) attitude.
He'll learn.
I can assure you. I am the last person to tell someone I'm amazing. I understand you all didn't take the time to really dig into my videos, especially not the ones that matter, and really figure out who I am as a personality on YouTube and what I tell my viewers, but I can assure you that one of the biggest reasons I am as "popular" as I am on YouTube is not because I think I'm great, it's the exact opposite. It's because I know I'm not and I know I'm just like everyone else, having fun, trying to get better and hoping to provide inspiration and entertainment to others to do the same thing. When people watch my videos, they see drumming as something THEY could do. As you all have pointed out many many times, I'm no Steve Gadd, I'm no drum god, I'm no extreme drummer who plays things that melt your mind and that's EXACTLY what people like about me. When they watch my videos, they see the passion, they see the love, the energy, the fun that I'm having and they see that what I play is actually attainable. Most people don't watch a Neil Peart drum solo and think "that could be me in a few years." But one of my biggest goals is that that is what people think when they watch my videos.

Now, another important thing that is driving me crazy, is reading you all bashing on the YouTube thing. You're asking yourselves "what is it all worth?" "what has he actually gotten out of it?" and saying things like it doesn't matter and live playing in a paid gig is all that matters. We're in the age of technology. I reach more people in ONE DAY than almost any drummer in the world reaches through live shows in a month. And that's not me being a cocky dude and bragging, it's just the truth. My YouTube isn't about what I get out of it. (Although I admit, I started it thinking all about me me me and what it could do for me) but my YouTube is about what I can do for OTHERS. I have quite a few people EVERY DAY that tell me that they watched my videos and then they went and learned to play drums, or they got the encouragement to go jump back on a kit they hadn't played in forever, or they joined their school band, or a church band, or a rock band because after watching my videos they saw how much fun I was having, or they heard me tell them that with hard work and practice they can accomplish anything and so they put in the hard work to make it happen. My channel is about the drum community and positively influencing it. Creating more drummers and inspiring people to go out and have fun. And yes, a counter argument could be that it would be better for someone more technically talented or knowledgable or experienced than myself to do that, and if that is you, PLEASE DO IT. I want everyone to help out the drum community.

I think I'm most disappointed in the moderator "bermuda"'s response to what I do. Sarcastically putting it down and wondering "if I'll ever get a gig?"
What if I never did? Is that such a terrible thing? Even if I didn't get a gig, but some of the kids I inspired to play drums and to work their tails off to be the best they can be, do, then I feel I have won. He's a moderator on a great drum forum, I think it would be way cooler to have a much more positive approach to the drum community than sarcastically putting something down just because it's not what you do, or like.

And lastly (because this is SUPER SUPER LONG). Even though your opinions don't bother me to the point I feel I need "back myself up" or spit a resume or anything, I would like to point out a few things that might change your mind a bit about what I do.

Just because I do something in a video doesn't mean that's what i feel is best in a different scenario. I overplay almost everything in all of my videos. Why? Because that's what my viewers want to see. I can't remember the last time someone came on a video and said "I came to YouTube to watch the most simple rendition of a song you can possibly do, so I would appreciate it if you could just play time for 4 minutes and I'll watch"
I don't think any of you can argue that I know what I'm doing in terms of reaching an audience and having people enjoy what I do in video format. In a live setting, there are times where I tone down the overplaying quite a bit. There are still times where I keep it there because people love it, but for you to make a statement that I don't understand that if I were to play for a big name artist they'd want me to play more time and less fills, that's crazy. Of course I understand this, but I also understand that the same principle doesn't translate to a visual medium like YouTube. I know what I'm doing can't be that out of line, because I have been recognized by people who are actually somebody in the music industry. Zakk Wylde shared my cover of his track Stillborn just the other day (which is a cover that's not perfect), Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park tweeted out my cover of their new song and was impressed. Chad Szeliga and I are friends and he shares my videos. And my favorite drummer on the entire planet, Chad Smith was blown away by what I do when I met him. (Not technically impressed of course lol, but excited about what I do for the drum community).

As far as gigs go, no, I don't play for Bruno Mars, but do you? I in no way intend to bash anyone commenting on this thread, but I feel most of you probably play similar gigs to what I do. I get paid (and I'm on scholarships) to play for Georgia State's marching band and basketball band, I get paid to play and fill in at various churches, I get paid to appear and play at various events, and although I don't do it as much anymore due to time constraints because of YouTube/GSU, I used to get paid to play with quite a few bands in the Atlanta area and still get asked to fill in all the time. Not to mention, I'm 22 years old and still in school. I'm working my way towards the bigger gigs, I'm not 80 and past my chances. lol

And as far as exposure/endorsements/all that jazz goes. I wish everyone could have endorsements and you are very correct that it all boils down to exposure. No, Pearl and Zildjian don't think I'm the best drummer out there, but they both think I have enough ability to positively represent the company and they both are a fan of what I do for the drum community. No, I'm not most deserving technically speaking, but I will say you'd be hard pressed to find someone who has worked harder on his career/exposure/network etc than myself. That is one of the biggest things I try to teach the people who watch me. I don't do a lot of technical/technique based lessons, because I feel I am not the one to be speaking about that, but I do lessons discussing hard work, encouragement, going after your dreams and having the most fun you can while playing. That is what I promote.

If there is one thing I can ask of you, let it be that you positively influence the drum community and use your powers for good. You don't have to like my playing or anything, and heck you don't even have to like me if you don't, but don't go around judging people that you don't really know. Someone could be reading your responses, and be discouraged because they still have a way to go, themselves.

I appreciate you reading this, if you did.

Have a great one, work hard, jam hard, and have fun!

Cooper
Old 03-20-2014, 02:12 AM

Good on you, Casey, for responding to the comments on this thread.

You're well on your way to becoming an awesome player and as you said, you have lots of time to improve. At 22, you have had a great start!

I don't see most of the comments on here as critical in a bad way... When I was a teen, my older brothers were both already established professional musicians. When I started gigging with them when I was 17 when we'd rehearse they'd be giving me suggestions very similar to the spirit of what guys like Bermuda said on here... mainly just emphasizing the beauty in knowing how to and when to play simple and really dig into the groove.

For what it's worth, when I was 17 I thought I was the best F($&@@(; drummer in the world (just like what Taylor Hawkins said, which I thought was how every guy felt at that age)!

By the time I was 22 (like you) I saw my playing as a work in progress....Over 10 years later one of the favourite parts of my day is sitting down at the drums and playing music.

Don't let any criticism or comments get you down, Casey, but also use the legit and helpful ones to help you get better.

All the best.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOP3RDRUMM3R View Post

I appreciate you reading this, if you did.
I could not, and did not. Its too long.
I'm sorry but there should be a word limit on posts, whether offensive or defensive ones.
Your drum channel obviously garners plenty of attention though.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:47 AM

Hi Casey,

Thanks for joining in, it's always best to get info from the horse's mouth and I'm glad to learn you're not just a YouTube Drummer. I will stand corrected on my gig comments.

You need to understand that the term "YouTube Drummer" doesn't necessarily carry a lot of credibility, thanks to some unfortunate exploitation by certain well-known folks. Also, the original post in this thread really set you up as something extra special, which is a lot for any drummer to live up to.

I won't backpeddle on my comments however, you do need to work on locking-in with tracks. But at 22, you've got a lot of musical growth ahead. In fact, the learning process never really ends, there are certainly things I could stand to improve (perhaps not just musically!)

Also, my being a moderator doesn't mean that my opinions necessarily reflect those of the other moderators or the majority of the membership. I watch what I say for other reasons, but not because I'm a mod.

Anyway, welcome, and please feel free to contribute on a regular basis. I think you'll find everyone is pretty nice, when they're not jumping down your throat! :)

Bermuda
Old 03-20-2014, 05:03 AM

Casey, you're a huge inspiration to me and others. The first cover I watched was your remix "My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark" and it blew me away. I prefer to listen to your Get Lucky remix compared to the original song because it sounds way better. I think its cool that you stood up to to these guys bashing on your videos. You said so yourself that you didn't take lessons. You see a bunch of guys on YouTube playing on References that their parents bought with the A Customs they bought them. You play on Exports with cymbals you earned and sound wayyyyy better than them and have more exposure than them.
Thanks
Old 03-20-2014, 05:12 AM

Hey Bermuda...
It's funny, right after I hopped in the car tonight after re-reading your post that Casey had referred to guess what was on the radio?

Weird Al!

I chuckled right away, of course!
Old 03-20-2014, 05:31 AM

In Casey's post, he asked if anyone here plays with Bruno Mars...

Probably not, but Bermuda, correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Bruno on Weird Al's recent album, Apocolypse?

("Check out this rad Boba Fett, he's playing clarinet!")

:)
Old 03-20-2014, 10:15 AM

A very eloquent answer I thought Mr Cooper.

Set a few things straight, but best of all agreed that you, like the rest of us, are always open to legit criticism in order to get better.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:11 PM

Casey,

I thought you handled this very well. It's tough not to get over defensive and bite back. You kept it professional I thought. As a drummer in his 30s who is getting back into it, I envy your age and skill level, even if there is room for improvement as some have mentioned. There is good advice here that was given so make the best of it. Keep it up.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:33 PM
Gold Member

there are videos on youtube of guys falling off of bicycles that have thousands of views, doesn't mean much. this is a drum forum, if your drumming isn't as good as its claimed to be, your going to hear it.
Pearl 2002C
Guru supporter
Andy Nemesis
Old 03-20-2014, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Hyde View Post
there are videos on youtube of guys falling off of bicycles that have thousands of views, doesn't mean much. this is a drum forum, if your drumming isn't as good as its claimed to be, your going to hear it.
Yeah pretty much this. When a youtube drummer gets this much praise, people want to see if they deserve it. We've seen average drummers rise to youtube fame, wherever that gets them in real life I don't know but I think it's reasonable for us to find it annoying if someone is cutting the queue, I mean that annoys us in any other area of life. Imagine you have a job and some new recruit comes along and gets promoted ahead of you when you're actually better at the job, that's annoying! Or your gf leaves you for a total douche bag but everyone else thinks he's great. But life isn't fair so most of us just let it be (I do).

I watched your most recent one, your drumming is really good, looks very rehearsed. I probably look a bit anti-social when I make a video but I would rather that than your plastic smile, but hey they probably encourage you to do that stuff. Are you over-rated? Yes, but I'm sure that kind of criticism will motivate you to want to live up to your hype.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:24 PM

"I appreciate you reading this, if you did. "

I did. I read the entire thread, as well. Personally, I think the OP set you up. The original vid set you up. Then I watched three or four of the vids on your channel, maybe 60 seconds each. Then I read more of the thread and saw the link for the live clip. Watched a minute or so of that. Finally got to here.

Someone, I think it was Bermuda, mentioned Travis Barker. That was my initial thought. Not a style that moves me very much, nor the music it's associated with. So, that makes me biased, I guess.

You do have a lot of energy. In the vids I watched I didn't hear any timing issues, per se. If you are going to play in a busy style like that, physically, it's to be expected you'll probably push or drag things now and then.

I, too, as others, was surprised at your presence on yt, or rather the response, all things considered. YT is a phenomenon of our age. It has started careers, finished careers, and continues to draw millions of people daily to be entertained, instructed, enlightened, and taken down every conceivable path of the information highway. Kudos to you for carving out a place at your age. God has blessed you with talent and a good attitude. I wish you well.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
Yeah pretty much this. When a youtube drummer gets this much praise, people want to see if they deserve it. We've seen average drummers rise to youtube fame, wherever that gets them in real life I don't know but I think it's reasonable for us to find it annoying if someone is cutting the queue, I mean that annoys us in any other area of life. Imagine you have a job and some new recruit comes along and gets promoted ahead of you when you're actually better at the job, that's annoying! Or your gf leaves you for a total douche bag but everyone else thinks he's great. But life isn't fair so most of us just let it be (I do).

I watched your most recent one, your drumming is really good, looks very rehearsed. I probably look a bit anti-social when I make a video but I would rather that than your plastic smile, but hey they probably encourage you to do that stuff. Are you over-rated? Yes, but I'm sure that kind of criticism will motivate you to want to live up to your hype.
Everyone's response to what I said was very respectable and I'm appreciative of everyone who took the time to read about it from my point of view. Almost everyone's words are fair and I really do appreciate the constructive criticism, I know I have a lot of things to improve on and to hear it from those who know more than me is great, but your words really aren't as fair as everyone else's.

You look at me and my "success" as "cutting the queue," when it's the exact opposite of that. I don't believe you give me anywhere near the credit for what I have accomplished and the work I've put in. If a new recruit came into your job, took a similar job to you for WAY less money (if you divided my ad revenue from YouTube by the amount of hours I've worked to build my channel, I would be making about 10 cents an hour), and proceeded to work 16 hours a day almost everyday for a couple of years, would you say he is undeserving of the fruits of his labor just because he is younger or new?
Now I understand you probably have no idea what goes into creating a YouTube channel like mine, but in less than 3 years I have created over 500 videos, almost exclusively by myself (recording, mixing, editing, uploading, responding, etc etc etc) all while over the spring/summer/fall working 80+ hours a week at Turner Field to earn the money to pay for the gear I use in my videos and going to school and performing with Georgia State's marching band and basketball band. That has translated to way too many days where I get to sleep at 5 or 6am and wake back up at 8 or 9am to get started again. I'm not saying I'm, the only person who works their tail end off, but I am saying that if you think I haven't worked for what I've achieved and that I've cheated the system, you're off on that. Getting lucky is the only way to cheat the system. There's no substitute for hard work.

And the whole "plastic smile" is completely missing the point, too. You must not have watched much of my playing because 99.99% of the time I look constipated rather than smiling, but the times I do happen to smile, it's because I genuinely have the time of my life when I play drums and that's what I want others to have too.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:36 PM

Casey, if you are a believer (assuming the church video is based on conviction not a gig offer), back away from defending yourself, live your life, and give glory to God.

If you are not a disciple of Christ, spending time defending yourself on every negative point made still doesn't place you in the best light, know what I mean?

Just sayin.'
Old 03-20-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsinhisheart View Post
Casey, if you are a believer (assuming the church video is based on conviction not a gig offer), back away from defending yourself, live your life, and give glory to God.

If you are not a disciple of Christ, spending time defending yourself on every negative point made still doesn't place you in the best light, know what I mean?

Just sayin.'
Yes, I totally get you, and 99% of the time people say things that could warrant a rebuttal, they are ignored, but I saw this thread as an opportunity. It's my hope that anyone reading this may take away that hard work does pay off. I feel that's not such a bad thing. Anyway, I wish everyone the best!
Old 03-20-2014, 06:41 PM

I'll just try to keep it short.

First off, it's good to hear things straight from the person himself.

I think the lad's been misjudged as having everything handed to him on a sliver platter from the start. And after seeing a lot of his older and newer vids, I think he's improved a lot, which is pretty good.

Keep up the good work, Mr. Cooper.All I could say is best of luck to you in your future endavours.

Last edited by XG65; 03-20-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:09 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
You look at me and my "success" as "cutting the queue," when it's the exact opposite of that. I don't believe you give me anywhere near the credit for what I have accomplished and the work I've put in. If a new recruit came into your job, took a similar job to you for WAY less money (if you divided my ad revenue from YouTube by the amount of hours I've worked to build my channel, I would be making about 10 cents an hour), and proceeded to work 16 hours a day almost everyday for a couple of years, would you say he is undeserving of the fruits of his labor just because he is younger or new?
Now I understand you probably have no idea what goes into creating a YouTube channel like mine, but in less than 3 years I have created over 500 videos, almost exclusively by myself (recording, mixing, editing, uploading, responding, etc etc etc) all while over the spring/summer/fall working 80+ hours a week at Turner Field to earn the money to pay for the gear I use in my videos and going to school and performing with Georgia State's marching band and basketball band. That has translated to way too many days where I get to sleep at 5 or 6am and wake back up at 8 or 9am to get started again. I'm not saying I'm, the only person who works their tail end off, but I am saying that if you think I haven't worked for what I've achieved and that I've cheated the system, you're off on that. Getting lucky is the only way to cheat the system. There's no substitute for hard work.
Before reading this post I may have agreed with Dre's assertion of Mr Cooper "cutting the queue" but this has changed my mind on the subject.
No, not the best drummer in the world (he admits this) but no one can deny the time and effort he's put into his videos and building his channel (if nothing else, the sheer quantity is staggering IMO).
Old 03-21-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmc View Post
Before reading this post I may have agreed with Dre's assertion of Mr Cooper "cutting the queue" but this has changed my mind on the subject.
No, not the best drummer in the world (he admits this) but no one can deny the time and effort he's put into his videos and building his channel (if nothing else, the sheer quantity is staggering IMO).
+1

Interestingly enough, a non-drummer non-musician friend of mine linked me to one of Casey's videos. When you grab the attention of someone who isn't a musician of any sort that says to me they must be doing something right.

Not really my cup of tea, but I respect the passion and love for the drums definitely. Good on you Casey.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Everyone's response to what I said was very respectable and I'm appreciative of everyone who took the time to read about it from my point of view. Almost everyone's words are fair and I really do appreciate the constructive criticism, I know I have a lot of things to improve on and to hear it from those who know more than me is great, but your words really aren't as fair as everyone else's.

And the whole "plastic smile" is completely missing the point, too. You must not have watched much of my playing because 99.99% of the time I look constipated rather than smiling, but the times I do happen to smile, it's because I genuinely have the time of my life when I play drums and that's what I want others to have too.
I don't owe credit for anything and I think being a great drummer is an accomplishment not to be confused with being big on youtube (and besides, I did say you are a good drummer). You chose to put that work in and building your youtube channel is for your own benefit, not ours, we see the drumming for what it is.

RE: cutting the queue; Consider that Virgil Donati has 6,000 youtube subscribers. Travis Barker has 84,000. You have 330,000. Where do you think you stand next to Virgil Donati as a drummer? You are a cool drummer but a bigger part of your fan base was earned with pop song choices, stick tricks, lots of cameras, loads of spamming, knowing what appeals to teenage drummers and non-drummers and whatever else, and there's a term for all of that. Congratulations on that but if some ugly guy with one camera in a dimly lit room plays better drums than you, I (and the guys on this site) would rather watch him, hence some of these comments.

I understand your frustration and I'm not trying to be a jerk in saying any of this, though I probably look like one now. I just think it's an interesting topic, and in my opinion commercialism changes music and musicianship, and not for the better.

And I'll say it one more time - you are a good drummer.

Last edited by Dre25; 03-21-2014 at 02:28 PM.