DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-18-2014, 10:56 PM

Default Ralph Humphrey

Looks like Ralph Humphrey and the band on DWTS has been let go for a more younger band.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:25 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Ralph Humphrey

Yep, there has been quite an uproar and even speculation that a DJ or pre-recorded tracks would replace the live band, but the plan all along was to have a smaller band with keyboards supplementing as needed (really, just what most working bands do anyway.)

Sounded like a lot of tracks to me though.

Bermuda
Old 03-18-2014, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member

As a member of the Musicians Union, I received alot of information on this uproar about losing the orchestra on this tv show and going with a small ensemble. Of course, we're all supposed to outraged and hurt by this turn of events, and part of me is. But when I look at the situation more closely, and look at it in terms of an entire industry, anyone should be happy if they get a chance at a long-term gig to begin with. As musicians, I don't want to say "not supposed to", but it is rare if you get a steady gig at all.

Even here at Disneyland, management lets bands and players go, and they get replaced, or not replaced at all. Frankly, I'm surprised when a band that's been here for 20 years is shocked when they're let go. Shocking still when the band starts to whine about "what are we supposed to do now?" As a musician, it's nice to have a somewhat steady gig, but is it really realistic to expect it for years?

So, yeah, I get it. What happened on DWTS was wrong and unfair, but was it really? At any time some executive could say, "Maybe it's time for a new DWTS". Jay Leno got fired twice. Things like that affect the entire crew that makes those shows, not just the musicians.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:31 AM
Platinum Member

I was always sort of surprised a show like that had the a live drummer in the first place, particularly one of the caliber of Ralph.

I know a guy who did sound on TV shows for 39 years. He said only once did he ever do a show that ran more than 3 seasons. Anyone who works in TV knows shows are temporary best. And Ralph has done a lot of TV work.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:18 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
As a musician, it's nice to have a somewhat steady gig, but is it really realistic to expect it for years?

So, yeah, I get it. What happened on DWTS was wrong and unfair, but was it really?
Well, they cut a bunch of players loose, and replaced them with a slightly lower number of other players. There can only be so much outrage. It's not as if they went to tracks only cooked up beforehand by a producer and a few singers. The vast majority of TV shows use canned music... where's the uproar over that?

Bermuda
Old 03-19-2014, 02:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Well, they cut a bunch of players loose, and replaced them with a slightly lower number of other players. There can only be so much outrage. It's not as if they went to tracks only cooked up beforehand by a producer and a few singers. The vast majority of TV shows use canned music... where's the uproar over that?

Bermuda
That's true too!

We used to use musicians for all of the floats in your average parade here at the Magic Kingdom, and slowly but surely, the bands were cut away and replaced with tracks. Our biggest parade (Christmas) is now down to one student band (not part of the union) and that's it. Nobody seemed to scream about this slow transition, either.