DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 03-14-2014, 04:44 PM

Default Roland TD-4KP Quiet

I recently purchased a Roland TD-4KP electric set, which came with Audiotechnica Headphones:

Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002D03ZW/..._8ivfz6owl5_ee

I've noticed that the sound coming out of the headphones is just not very loud, almost quiet. When I try to drum along to songs, I can barely hear the drum kit.

...do you think it's the headphone, or could there be an issue with the module? It's not silent, but when I put the volume on full blast using the module, the headphones really aren't that loud. I was wondering if anyone else had that issue - is it the headphones? or is there something wrong with the module?

Thanks a lot.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Roland TD-4KP Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flan55 View Post
I recently purchased a Roland TD-4KP electric set, which came with Audiotechnica Headphones:

Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002D03ZW/..._8ivfz6owl5_ee

I've noticed that the sound coming out of the headphones is just not very loud, almost quiet. When I try to drum along to songs, I can barely hear the drum kit.

...do you think it's the headphone, or could there be an issue with the module? It's not silent, but when I put the volume on full blast using the module, the headphones really aren't that loud. I was wondering if anyone else had that issue - is it the headphones? or is there something wrong with the module?

Thanks a lot.
I own the M40fs, they are made more for mixing purposes. You will need a headphone amplifier in order to use it. They have an extremely flat frequency response which makes it excellent for detailed mixing, but not so much for monitoring/listening back. I would recommend getting another pair of headphones, like the Vic Firth drummer's headphones. Or if you want to keep the ATH-M40fs, go out and purchase a cheap headphone amp... I know Behringer makes an inexpensive one.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:05 PM

I'm not sure if this is applicable to the TD-4kp so I can't answer this directly but I had a similar situation with ATH-50's and my Roland TD-11. I had to set the pad sensitivity up from 8 to 20. It works fine now - maybe this will work for you.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:48 PM

You want Isolation headphones

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...ion-headphones
Old 03-14-2014, 06:04 PM

I have the same Roland e-kit. The headphone amp in the module is woefully underpowered. I would suspect that this is what the problem is. Get yourself a headphone amp or connect the output of the TD-4 to a mixer and your problem will be solved.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:15 PM

Thanks for everybody's responses...all great points. I'll check out the headphone amp first, and then go from there. I knew I wasn't getting top of the line headphones...they were really throw ins to use the kit, but I definitely need more noise.

Thanks again.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gconyers View Post
I have the same Roland e-kit. The headphone amp in the module is woefully underpowered. I would suspect that this is what the problem is. Get yourself a headphone amp or connect the output of the TD-4 to a mixer and your problem will be solved.
What? I can't even turn mine up past half way with the vic firth headphones I posted.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:16 PM
Gold Member

Had the same set and with my isolation headphones I had no problems, I ran my mp3 player with it to play along with songs and even with the mp3 at max level I could still hear my drums. It may be your headphones.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braincramp View Post
Had the same set and with my isolation headphones I had no problems, I ran my mp3 player with it to play along with songs and even with the mp3 at max level I could still hear my drums. It may be your headphones.
Never tried anything but my isolation just tried a pair of Sony plain old headphone can't hear a dam thing can even hear myself hitting the pads more then the sounds lol. it's the headphones.