DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-04-2014, 09:43 PM
Silver Member

Default what ride stands are you using?

What ride stand are you guys using? I need some advice/review in deciding what to get.

I was using a pdp boom stand I bought years ago but it wobbled a bit and tightener on the boom arm wasnt the best. What i started using afterwards and for the moment is a dw 9000 double tom stand with a short boom arm mounted on the back. Its overkill and looks sloppy with a 4 piece kit

I also have some older tama boom stands but are built with thin tubing and dont want to risk my ride coming down during playing. I think they were hardware that came with the swingstars in the early 2000s.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: what ride stands are you using?

depends what you do. If you gig a lot, and travel with packing up/down, may want some heavier duty stuff, well built, double-braced

IMO you can't go wrong with Yamaha hardware, or Tama for the price.

If you gig locally, or lightly, I find single braced stands are fine, and/or modest engineered boom stands. I use a Yamaha boom stand or Tama Roadpro. Either one of them can hold plenty.....even my 40 inch ride (just kidding on that).
Old 03-04-2014, 10:31 PM
Silver Member

I use the DW 9701. It is a standard double braced DW stand, except it is shorter by about a foot. This leaves the center of gravity lower and allows me to put the ride down really low, where I like it.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:34 PM
Silver Member

I use a single brace yamaha boom stand. I need a boom because the straight doesn't allow the cymbal to be close enough. Don't use much of the boom but enough to need it :)
Old 03-04-2014, 10:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
depends what you do. If you gig a lot, and travel with packing up/down, may want some heavier duty stuff, well built, double-braced

IMO you can't go wrong with Yamaha hardware, or Tama for the price.

If you gig locally, or lightly, I find single braced stands are fine, and/or modest engineered boom stands. I use a Yamaha boom stand or Tama Roadpro. Either one of them can hold plenty.....even my 40 inch ride (just kidding on that).
Ill take a look into the yamaha stuff. I don gig much but I also dont want my cymbals falling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseownzu View Post
I use the DW 9701. It is a standard double braced DW stand, except it is shorter by about a foot. This leaves the center of gravity lower and allows me to put the ride down really low, where I like it.
That looks like something I might have to look at. The low feature is a plus.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:07 AM
Platinum Member

I use the Gibraltar flat base stand. I haven't had any issues at all in 3-4 years of gigging with it.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:16 AM
Platinum Member

Yup another Yamaha single braced boom stand user here.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
I use the Gibraltar flat base stand. I haven't had any issues at all in 3-4 years of gigging with it.
I just switched to these and love them. My hardware bag went from being called "the body bag" by my band mates and is now light enough that I can pick it up and sling it over my shoulder.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:48 AM
Gold Member

I have a set of the Yamaha single braced stands (600 and 700 series) that I mainly use at home, although they are fantastic and totally giggable. I use a set of Ludwig Atlas Classic flat based stands for travel (rehearsals and gigs.)

I have zero desire to own heavier duty stands.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:03 AM

Surprisingly I just switched to DW 6710 flush based stands for my ride cymbals. I was reluctant to ever go back to flat base stands; too many bad memories of my cymbals taking a stage dive with the flat base stands on my '64 Stewart kit. The DW's are fantastic. Really nice balance between light weight and stability.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:15 AM

I use single braced Yamaha 700 series hardware. Light weight yet rock solid, dependable, intelligently designed. Highly recommended. I'm selling all of my double braced stands, I'm done with the heavy stuff.
Yamaha 700 series hardware
Old 03-05-2014, 04:24 AM
Platinum Member

I know they're relatively heavy duty/modern compared to the others here, but I love the Mapex Falcon stands. Check out the ease of adjustment on them.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:26 AM
Platinum Member

Yamaha CS 755, and some older, similar Yamaha straight stands - don't know the model number of those.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
+2 I have a flat base boom stand that I keep 2 22" rides on. Nice and sturdy and really cut the weight of my hardware bag.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:44 AM
Silver Member

Hmmmm looks like a lot of you guys use the Yamaha hardware. I will be looking at the 600 & 700 stuff. Im not into the flat base stands.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:48 AM
Silver Member

I'll throw out another +1 for Tama hardware. It's rock solid, and at a decent price. I used to use my Roadpro boom stand for my ride, before I got a rack.

I have used Yamaha hardware in the past; I cant say anything bad about it at all.

"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900
Old 03-05-2014, 04:49 AM
Platinum Member

I don't think it's so much the weight of the stand, or if its double-braced or single-braced, but how well it's engineered. The Yamaha stuff is great. I have a set of the 600-series straight cymbal stands and those are awesome. Tilters work great, the height adjustments are positive. For light stands, you can't ask for better, and they're lighter than flat-based stands (if you can believe that). On the other end of the spectrum, I'm also using Pearl's C-900 straight cymbals stands and the same thing here - well-engineered with great tilters and adjustments. Tama also makes good stuff too. I tried some no-name brand stuff a few years ago and after a while those adjusters and tilters just stripped out or were no longer functional.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:18 AM

I have DWs, Yamaha's, and Tama's. I prefer the single-braced Yamaha's especially for gigging. The DWs are too heavy but really nice all the same. The Tama's are great too, but I don't like the nuts (I know I can replace them).

I also like Gibraltar but I've never like the flat based stands. I have some regular boom stands that are good.

I have a couple Pearls that I really don't care for. I can't explain why but I do know that I don't like the same of the wingnuts.

I used to have some Mapex hardware which was good stuff, but its heavy and it didn't except the gibraltar cymbal sleeves and flanges that I like.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:47 PM

Buying new I've been getting the Yamaha single brace CS-650A straight stand. I was using a 70s Ludwig Hercules straight stand with a cymbal spring. I wanted something more compact but as sturdy. I prefer a straight stand on a 2pc/3pc/4pc set. If I needed a boom, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase either the CS-655A (single) or CS-665A (double) boom stand. Yamaha makes great hardware, especially their "light weight" stuff.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Gold Member

I've been using Ludwig 1400 series stands for the last 30 years. They are light and I am not a heavy hitter. They also don't take up too much room.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:43 PM

Gibraltar 6709 for my 22" A Zildjian medium ride. Rock solid, but quite heavy.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:55 AM
Silver Member

I keep my eyes open for yamaha, that short dw stand and Gibraltar stand too. I know tama makes good stuff my im not diggin the thin ones I have for my ride.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:19 AM
Platinum Member

I'm using a really old and heavy Sound Percussion stand with double-brace legs. It's been in service since the early 90's. It belong to my uncle before I bought it from him. So it was already worn-in when I got it. It's missing its grommet where you tighten the leg part wing nut to the stand pole part. I just use a wadded up piece of card board there in place of the grommet.

Last year I picked up a straight stand with single-brace legs for my giggin hardware. Forgot what brand it is. It's a good one though.

Besides my hi-hat stands, the only stands I ever bought new are a couple Pearl boom stands with double-braced legs, but I use those for the crashes.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:37 AM
Platinum Member

I have one of the $35 sound percussion double-braced ones as well, and it's kind of amazing for $35. I've had it for at least 4 years with 3-5 things hanging off of it for the vast majority of that time, and it's never failed me.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:44 PM
Gold Member

Here's another vote for Yamaha 600 and 700 single braced stands.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:09 PM
Platinum Member

I use flat base stands for everything.
Been using them pretty much exclusively for about 4 years, with no problems at all. I have DW, and Ludwig Atlas. Even the 24" ride that I crash a lot is perfectly stable on it. I use the straight stands.

Gibraltar's flat base gear is very nice also. and I will be getting their new ultra adjust snare stand for my tom. If someone else uses my kit on a show, which happens from time to time, it will be super easy to get things back in order for myself, and they can move it if they want also (I'm nice like that).

Old 03-09-2014, 10:04 PM

I'm using one of my late 90s gibraltar 9500 heavy boom stands. It's a beast of a stand. My ride is now positioned almost halfway over the bass drum so the counterweighted boom really helps keep it from wobbling or skipping around. I try to remember that every time I'm carrying it up a flight of stairs.

I have two of them. The boom holding up the two crashes in the pic is the same model, just with a very annoying key operated tilting tripod system.

I know most people prefer stands that fall somewhere in a medium weight, but when it comes to ride stands that wont be mounted straight, or anything you're going to clamp one or two drums and a cymbal on, dont skimp on the amount of metal.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2014, 06:37 PM

I'm using a straight double-braced cymbal stand that came with my Starclassic kit. Almost 18 years old and never had a problem with it. I also hang a 14" tom off of it (like a suspended floor tom). No stability issues.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:14 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by drum4fun27302 View Post
I use a single brace yamaha boom stand. I need a boom because the straight doesn't allow the cymbal to be close enough. Don't use much of the boom but enough to need it :)
I have the same issue with the ride being too close with a straight stand, as I have a hanging floor tom on that stand. I just hacksaw off any extra boom I don't use. Less weight. My boom on my ride is maybe 4" long lol. It's a boom-ette lol. I keep the ride pretty low, so I don't have to break it down for travel either, I just fold the legs up. It's the only boom stand on my gig kit.

I'll never understand double braced legs. They just seem like a waste of metal. You could have 6 legs with that amount of metal.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:48 PM

Im using the pre-atlas ludwig flat based stands for my cymbals. And yamaha single braced hi-hat and snare stands. I am not a fan of heavy hardware I like it to be as light as possible. I can put everything besides my throne and hi-hat stand in a small duffle bag. I have a zildjian K custom dry ride that weighs a ton and have never had a problem. I am not a cymbal basher but even if I do it holds up. But really its all up to you.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:10 PM

If your configuration is a one up then I would suggest the new Ludwig bass drum mount bracket and atlas classic cymbal holder it isolates the holder from the bracket, it's well built and will lighten your load and take up less space both on stage and in your bag.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:29 AM
Platinum Member

Another vote for single braced Yamaha here. I have a really heavy Tama that is indestructible here in my project studio, but I leave it at home. Since I have two hanging side toms, those along with a crash are on a DW 9000 stand. But the ride has never moved or been an issue with the Yamaha. A real heavy hitter turned me one to these. I collected some to use with my Safari kit but after watching him over a couple of months I started taking one out for the ride to lighten the load. As Bo said, well made beats overmade every time.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member

Also using a single braced yamaha stand. They won't topple, the trick is to position the legs the right way, and don't overextend the cymbal holding part.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:26 AM
Administrator

A double braced Pearl stand.
I have Frankenstein hardware but I made sure all of the cymbal stands are double braced when I got them (second hand). Any other of my cymbal stands would work for the ride, too, but somehow I got used to picking the Pearl for the ride cymbal. I think the legs on the Pearl stand can be set into a lower setting than on the other stands so the feet would cover more ground which gives me more confidence when using heavy cymbals, and the ride is the heaviest I have (20'' Byzance Dry Ride).
Old 03-27-2014, 02:51 AM
Silver Member

Hmm, forgot to look back at this thread. Im stilling looking into it. Havent had the spare cash for the next stand.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:31 PM

Tama RoadPro is an ultimate quality/price workhorse for me. I have some of them more than 10 years for now, some are younger a bit. Those with quick-tilt feature works best in my opinion. But they are too heavy for every day trips.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:49 AM

I use a Yamaha single braced boomstand for my ride. I also have stands from Tama/Pearl/and Gibralter. The easiest to adjust in a hurry is the Yamaha. The Gibralter stuff would stand up to a nucluer war, but is heavy. I have a Gibralter stand, double braced from the mid 90's, the only serial number on it are the words "The Rock"

Yamaha
Vater 2B
Hardware Assorted