DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 02-21-2014, 01:29 PM
Silver Member

Default New SB1 laser triggers for my Trick Dominators

After three months of waiting, my new Trick Dominator SB1 laser triggers finally arrived.

The company seems to have taken the negative publicity about the "ludicrous speed" stompbox that used to come with the trigger system in the right spirit. Out of the box, I got two separate SB1 tethers -- i.e. the wiring contraption for the laser trigger -- which I was informed is the new avatar of the product. Websites need to update it though (I bought from Guitarcenter). Suits me fine, except the requirement for a second wall wart, I would have been as happy with a single power supply and the ludicrous speed stomp.

Had to wait a while before installation, because I didn't have a manual unfortunately. Trick eventually sent me video demonstrating how to install the device.

An interesting thing: there have been a lot of complaints about play in the drive shaft of the Dominators. Because of space on either side of the linkage on the pedal, you're able to slide it toward the left and right, which is necessary because the new reflector fin/beater holder for the Dominator is much fatter than the original piece. As a result, things to the right get pushed further outward. At first, I thought the direct drive shaft was bent, but when I slid it a bit to the right, it straightened out. Interesting.

After I set it up, I had to tinker around with my module settings in order to get an appropriate response. But just judging by the flashing light, the trigger is very responsive. Unfortunately, I only received my package in the middle of the night and could install it this morning, so not much trial time.

Also, do expect my final review post on the Trick Dominator pedals in a couple of weeks, had them a year now and I have a few interesting findings.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:34 PM

Default Re: New SB1 laser triggers for my Trick Dominators

Hey man, those look sick. I've been wanting a pair of sb1s for awhile. As far as play in the drive shaft, I've experienced 0, though I know trick changed their shaft, I may have a different model.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:02 AM
Silver Member

Thanks, risewiththefallen, they do look real sick, very well fabricated.

I wasn't mentioning play with the drive shaft, i.e.the rod connecting master and slave. I was talking about the direct drive linkage (connecting footboard to the rest of the assembly). If you look at the footboard end, there's a bit of space on either side of the link. I read a couple of reviews somewhere that since you could move that linkage a bit with your hand, it's "play".

I haven't noticed any side to side motion when I play though. It's very sturdy, even more so if you consider the fact that some pedals only come with a couple of bars as a "base plate". The Dominator has a plate, it's just latticed to keep costs lower.

I got really scared yesterday though. I was trying to set up my computer and suddenly my external hard disk crashed, with a "cyclic redundancy check" error. Can't get it to work and I have a lot of work and data backed up on it. I have no idea what caused it. Looked at the laser trigger a bit suspiciously though, All those circuits. Anything could be in there. Brrr.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:33 PM

Oh the linkage. When i first got the pedals it worried me , but as you said ive never noticed anything while I play. Thats crazy your computer crashed. Hopefully it wasn't the triggers.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:14 PM
Silver Member

Marvin the paranoid android. They're watching you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pLAX...ature=youtu.be

Please watch, I tried to put a good review. I'll try to show the triggers used in a more popular setting maybe later this week, still haven't worked out all the kinks. Sure is handy though.