DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-22-2014, 09:29 PM
The Old Hyde
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Single vs double chain

Ive been practicing and playing on mostly single pedal kits for the last few months and decided to buy a single pedal. whats the difference besides money of a single or double chain? will a single really break compared to a double chain?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-22-2014, 10:12 PM
MrInsanePolack's Avatar
MrInsanePolack MrInsanePolack is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 1,393
Default Re: Single vs double chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Hyde View Post
Ive been practicing and playing on mostly single pedal kits for the last few months and decided to buy a single pedal. whats the difference besides money of a single or double chain? will a single really break compared to a double chain?
On pedals I have broken: beater shafts, beater heads, spring assemblies, u-joint pins, drive shafts, bearing assemblies, worn the teeth off a geared sprocket, foot board hinges, and even a footboard itself. Never once have I broken a chain, single or double. I have had more single chain pedals than double chain, and the only issue I foresee with them is the chain itself has more side to side flex, which can lead to worn out hinges on the footboard. I beat the crap out of pedals, and the chains have always taken it like a pro.
__________________
Wanted: GURU 13x7 Segmented English Ash & Ovangkol with Ovangkol Segmented Hoops
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-22-2014, 11:59 PM
Michaelocalypse Michaelocalypse is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 192
Default Re: Single vs double chain

I'll second that. A single chain will allow for more lateral movent of the foot board, which destroys heel bearings/bushings. That wouldn't be a big deal, but the ones I've seen are a very odd size and not easily replaced.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-23-2014, 12:44 AM
The Old Hyde
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Single vs double chain

thanks guys, takes away my concern....the prices are better on the singles and my wife wont be mad that way
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-23-2014, 12:58 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,533
Default Re: Single vs double chain

You'd be surprised just how durable the new nylon straps are these days for cam-strap pedals. Chains are a bit of overkill (even back then). I agree, you may get some lateral movement over time, but it isn't something that can be readjusted if necessary. BTW - have you seen those new PDP Concept pedals? I saw one in person and was impressed by the simple-ness of it. Nice single-chain pedal for $90.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-23-2014, 01:01 AM
Dignan's Avatar
Dignan Dignan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 314
Default Re: Single vs double chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Hyde View Post
thanks guys, takes away my concern....the prices are better on the singles and my wife wont be mad that way
I've been there. Sometimes I feel like the Iranian government trying to build a nuclear program (drums) without the international community (wife) finding out. I try to make all my unauthorized drum purchases in cash to stay off the grid.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-23-2014, 01:08 AM
The Old Hyde
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Single vs double chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
You'd be surprised just how durable the new nylon straps are these days for cam-strap pedals. Chains are a bit of overkill (even back then). I agree, you may get some lateral movement over time, but it isn't something that can be readjusted if necessary. BTW - have you seen those new PDP Concept pedals? I saw one in person and was impressed by the simple-ness of it. Nice single-chain pedal for $90.
Bo funny you mention that pedal, I looked online at it but not in person. I like the heavy pacific hardware, I have the 900 stuff which I think is now the concept line. I may get that pedal!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-23-2014, 01:49 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,533
Default Re: Single vs double chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Hyde View Post
Bo funny you mention that pedal, I looked online at it but not in person. I like the heavy pacific hardware, I have the 900 stuff which I think is now the concept line. I may get that pedal!
I don't think you'll be disappointed - another solid working pedal to choose from!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com