DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 02-22-2014, 09:29 PM
The Old Hyde

Default Single vs double chain

Ive been practicing and playing on mostly single pedal kits for the last few months and decided to buy a single pedal. whats the difference besides money of a single or double chain? will a single really break compared to a double chain?
Old 02-22-2014, 10:12 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Single vs double chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Hyde View Post
Ive been practicing and playing on mostly single pedal kits for the last few months and decided to buy a single pedal. whats the difference besides money of a single or double chain? will a single really break compared to a double chain?
On pedals I have broken: beater shafts, beater heads, spring assemblies, u-joint pins, drive shafts, bearing assemblies, worn the teeth off a geared sprocket, foot board hinges, and even a footboard itself. Never once have I broken a chain, single or double. I have had more single chain pedals than double chain, and the only issue I foresee with them is the chain itself has more side to side flex, which can lead to worn out hinges on the footboard. I beat the crap out of pedals, and the chains have always taken it like a pro.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:59 PM

I'll second that. A single chain will allow for more lateral movent of the foot board, which destroys heel bearings/bushings. That wouldn't be a big deal, but the ones I've seen are a very odd size and not easily replaced.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:44 AM
The Old Hyde

thanks guys, takes away my concern....the prices are better on the singles and my wife wont be mad that way
Old 02-23-2014, 12:58 AM
Platinum Member

You'd be surprised just how durable the new nylon straps are these days for cam-strap pedals. Chains are a bit of overkill (even back then). I agree, you may get some lateral movement over time, but it isn't something that can be readjusted if necessary. BTW - have you seen those new PDP Concept pedals? I saw one in person and was impressed by the simple-ness of it. Nice single-chain pedal for $90.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:01 AM

Quote:
thanks guys, takes away my concern....the prices are better on the singles and my wife wont be mad that way
I've been there. Sometimes I feel like the Iranian government trying to build a nuclear program (drums) without the international community (wife) finding out. I try to make all my unauthorized drum purchases in cash to stay off the grid.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:08 AM
The Old Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
You'd be surprised just how durable the new nylon straps are these days for cam-strap pedals. Chains are a bit of overkill (even back then). I agree, you may get some lateral movement over time, but it isn't something that can be readjusted if necessary. BTW - have you seen those new PDP Concept pedals? I saw one in person and was impressed by the simple-ness of it. Nice single-chain pedal for $90.
Bo funny you mention that pedal, I looked online at it but not in person. I like the heavy pacific hardware, I have the 900 stuff which I think is now the concept line. I may get that pedal!
Old 02-23-2014, 01:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Bo funny you mention that pedal, I looked online at it but not in person. I like the heavy pacific hardware, I have the 900 stuff which I think is now the concept line. I may get that pedal!
I don't think you'll be disappointed - another solid working pedal to choose from!