DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 10-09-2013, 05:34 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Your Favorite Alcohol High

Jameson Irish Whiskey. Oh so smooth, and it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. :)
Old 10-09-2013, 05:55 AM
Platinum Member

I've heard that this will give you Good Dreaming:

www.whitemanspoisonfirewater.com
Old 10-10-2013, 03:24 AM
Senior Consultant

After the party is over, apparently all you need is a Sprite.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...ays-yes/nbKc3/
Old 11-04-2013, 01:39 AM

Biltmore House Reisling.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:46 AM
Silver Member

Bookers bourbon, yummy...120-130 proof :D
Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA
Unibroue Trois Pistoles

Those are my top three alcohol choices for a cozy night.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:14 AM

Pale ales and IPA's are my absolute favorite. Currently I would have to say that Stone IPA and Little Sumpin' Sumpin' are at the top of my charts. But for most normal days, I buy Sierra Nevada Pale Ale at Walmart. Tastes great and not too expensive.

Second choice is liquor. I like bourbon on the rocks (JD or Woodford Reserve) and quality tequila, neat - Don Julio 1942 is good, as is Classe Azul. In a pinch, Cuervo Tradicional is acceptable when chilled in the freezer.

I also really like red wine, and when I say red wine, I mean cabernet sauvignon. I try to stick to the Napa Valley wines. There are soooo many choices when it comes to wine - I restrict myself to that particular region just so that I can develop enough breadth of experience to be able to make a more intelligent selection. For example, I know that I like cabs from Mt. Veeder from 2009, because I've had a couple different ones that I thought were very good. So if I see one on a wine list somewhere, I can be reasonably sure that it will be of similar quality.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:31 AM

I like to drink good IPA's or Sierra Nevada pale ale. They tend to make me a little classy and I think deeper.

My other drink of choice is gin. Straight up, with tonic, or in a tom collins . It just makes me feel good inside.

Of coarse a lot of shows I have played we get free bud light or something else I am not a fan on. Don't care for it but It will get you drunk if you drink enough. Once you get to that point the taste doesn't matter anymore.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerjims View Post
I like to drink good IPA's or Sierra Nevada pale ale. They tend to make me a little classy and I think deeper.

My other drink of choice is gin. Straight up, with tonic, or in a tom collins . It just makes me feel good inside.

Of coarse a lot of shows I have played we get free bud light or something else I am not a fan on. Don't care for it but It will get you drunk if you drink enough. Once you get to that point the taste doesn't matter anymore.
Have you tried the Sierra Nevada Torpedo yet?

I've gone back to Red Bull & Vodka recently. No more than two before a gig though, or anytime for that matter, then back to whiskey. :)
Old 01-10-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Have you tried the Sierra Nevada Torpedo yet?
I love the Torpedo I was also a big fan of the Hoptimum.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:13 PM

Champagne... On the plane, with Christmas dessert, on New Year's eve...
Old 01-12-2014, 07:08 PM

SHOOTERS!!! WHOOOO!!!!
Old 02-04-2014, 09:51 PM

Lagavulin. Smokey, peaty, single malt scotch. Great with a good cigar too.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:33 PM

I'd have to go with scotch or bourbon. I've drunk quite a bit more bourbon in my short years, however, so I'll have to go with that.

Let me paint you a picture:

It's August in Colorado. You're in an old gold rush town, already a little bit drunk, walking with a some new friends down Main Street, where the sounds and smells of coal-burning steam locomotives and gasoline-belching Harley-Davidsons intermingle in the cool night air. There was rather large inflatable penis at that last bar, but you choose to ignore it for the time being. You enter another bar a block down - the door is on the corner of the building; the doors are that old saloon-type swinging door that you only thought existed in spaghetti westerns, and yet, here it is, and you're walking through it. There's an older gentleman at the upright piano wearing white and black, really cranking out some ragtime. The whole place appears to be lit as if by candlelight; the men behind the bar are dressed in the same white long-sleeve shirts and black vests, but with the addition of thick waxed mustaches, they look every bit their part. Attractive women in feathers and tight corsets that shine like fish scales in the dim light roam amidst the tables, taking orders and fetching drinks. You and your friends decide that such a place requires a good whiskey of some sort, and you settle on Buffalo Trace, straight; one for each of you. The piano man calls at you - you'd requested Maple Leaf Rag, remember? He doesn't really know it, yet somehow makes his way through the best rendition of the Scott Joplin tune that you've ever heard someone-who-didn't-know-it pull out of his ass. And the bourbon is good. And life is good.

And that's why I like bourbon.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:14 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: What is the your favorite alcohol high?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeplyTuna View Post
I use Listorine sometimes. I aim for once a day, but sometimes I'm just too tired.
You don't swallow, do you? You're not supposed to swallow, you know.

I drink for the taste, not the high. I don't do that.... .....anymore.

Have you tried beertinis? Great taste and, if you're not careful, they will sneak up on you. Here's the recipe:

one can of frozen limeade concentrate
vodka (equal to the empty limeade can-grapefruit flavored is good but anything will work
three beers (I use Corona but any pale or light colored beer is good)

Mix and drink.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:35 AM

Fireball right out of the freezer. It's practically a syrup and is actually great on ice cream.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by con struct View Post
A bottle of Bulleit rye from the Whiskey Exchange will cost you forty quid.

Send me your address, Ben, and I'll ship a bottle over to you.
And he only went and did it!

I meant to post an update about this. I can't thank you enough, Jay. You are a gentleman's gentleman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsabianguy View Post
I'd have to go with scotch or bourbon. I've drunk quite a bit more bourbon in my short years, however, so I'll have to go with that.

Let me paint you a picture:

It's August in Colorado. You're in an old gold rush town, already a little bit drunk, walking with a some new friends down Main Street, where the sounds and smells of coal-burning steam locomotives and gasoline-belching Harley-Davidsons intermingle in the cool night air. There was rather large inflatable penis at that last bar, but you choose to ignore it for the time being. You enter another bar a block down - the door is on the corner of the building; the doors are that old saloon-type swinging door that you only thought existed in spaghetti westerns, and yet, here it is, and you're walking through it. There's an older gentleman at the upright piano wearing white and black, really cranking out some ragtime. The whole place appears to be lit as if by candlelight; the men behind the bar are dressed in the same white long-sleeve shirts and black vests, but with the addition of thick waxed mustaches, they look every bit their part. Attractive women in feathers and tight corsets that shine like fish scales in the dim light roam amidst the tables, taking orders and fetching drinks. You and your friends decide that such a place requires a good whiskey of some sort, and you settle on Buffalo Trace, straight; one for each of you. The piano man calls at you - you'd requested Maple Leaf Rag, remember? He doesn't really know it, yet somehow makes his way through the best rendition of the Scott Joplin tune that you've ever heard someone-who-didn't-know-it pull out of his ass. And the bourbon is good. And life is good.

And that's why I like bourbon.
That's awesome. Can I be your friend?

Did I mention that I really like gin? I like gin a lot. I just got some export strength (47%) Bombay Sapphire when I came back from Miami, which is a great mixing gin. My favourite in the world though is Williams Chase which is truly exceptional. That's the one I had at the Hilton after the LDS, people who were there...some of you tried it I think?
Old 02-06-2014, 03:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioragegarden View Post
Fireball right out of the freezer. It's practically a syrup and is actually great on ice cream.
My first choice as well. When I'm playing a club and drinks are comped, I'll either go with an A.M.F. if I'm feeling confident or a Crown and Coke if I need to keep my wits about me.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 02-06-2014, 09:02 PM
Banned

Before I quit drinking (quit when my daughter asked my wife why daddy always drank beer - ouch!) it went something like this:

Beer - fun buzz at about the 3 beer point, sustained through the first 12 pack. After that things would get sloppy.

Any whiskey - Good times until about the 3rd shot - then I'd get diarrhea of the mouth and could count on a black out. Behavior during black out was always interesting and a fun mystery to solve the next day. Usually would drunk-call someone or beg an ex to get back together. Never got violent or anything.

Rum - Never drank it much. Always thought rum and cokes were the drinks of amateurs.

Vodka - Only as a last resort would I drink vodka. Popular when I was a teen as it was always in our parents liquor cabinet and was easily cut with water. Years later my mom told me she knew we were cutting it!

Tequilla - Guaranteed black out. Last time I drank tequilla my last semi-conscious thought was figuring out how I was going to bash my friends head in with a beer bottle. I woke up at a bus stop several hours later in the middle of the city with a pool of vomit next to me. Also peed my pants. Good times.

Yeah - I should probably stay 'retired'....

MM
Old 02-17-2014, 11:33 AM

Rum and orange juice.

Beers-it has to be micro beers or the dark stuff. I can't drink Bud and the like anymore. Unless someone gives them to me.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:01 PM

Used be rum & coke but I can;t really drink coke any more - it just tastes too sweet (been on one of those anti-sugar diets and after getting off sweet stuff, I can;t take the taste any more).

Beer gives me bad hangovers these days. Dry red wine is now where it's at...
Old 03-09-2014, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

I just tried the new Miller Fortune Lager. 6.9%. Ale strength lager, doesn't have that weird Malt liquor flavor to it, or that skunky, hoppy flavor associated with IPA beers (which I happen to like). A good US domestic indeed.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:48 AM

Not worried about ABV, Love the taste of beer, And depending on my mood That's what for dinner....
Old 06-15-2014, 06:47 PM
Silver Member

I used to be a good drinker, but like many here now not so much. I try to drink no more than 2 or 3 drinks. If I have more my sleep is affected.

Corona(perfect for the hot weather in Malaysia)
Gin and Tonic
Margarita
Sauvignon Black white wine from the Marlborough district in New Zealand
Champagne and Prosecco
Jaegermeister

thx

jorn
Old 06-15-2014, 07:47 PM

My favourite beer at the moment is a French beer called Desperados. It's actually a hybrid, has some tequila in it. Nice sweet beer. Corona is also decent.

Erdinger is a good, more traditional German beer which I like.

I drink the Irish cider Bulmers a good bit too, and Guinness.

I rarely drink though if I'm being honest, I don't get the whole obsession with alcohol in Ireland.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:01 AM
Silver Member

I don't like to get drunk. I sometimes have a glass of wine or a dark beer with dinner. I'd be perfectly happy with it if somehow the alcohol didn't effect me.

I prefer dark red wines like a pino noir. For the beer family, I like brown ales, porter and stout. I also like some of the Belgian beers that are almost like wine, with fruit.

Until "specialty" beers began to get popular in the USA (1980s), I had to rely on the British imports (at least the ones we could get). Some friends raved about Guiness stout but to me it was the Budweiser of stouts (Bud, Miller, Coors, etc., in my opinion, are beers made for people who don't like a flavorful beer but who do enjoy urinating). My preference for stouts were the Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout and Imperial Stout. Also liked their Taddy Porter. Other popular items at the time included Whitbread Ale, Newcastle Brown Ale, Whatney's Red Barrel and Stingo Stout.

Fortunately, these days we have a top notch brewery in town that makes some excellent ales. The brewery dates from 1888 (The F X Matt Brewery) but they are mostly known for the award winning Saranac line of brews.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:47 AM
Silver Member

If it is really hot and I've been working outside and I am really thirsty....

I like ONE Ice Cold Guinness.

The 2nd one doesn't taste that good to me.

I like 100 proof bottled and bond bourbon and coke (room temp)
I like spiced 100 proof rum and coke (or juice)

Vodka... only if it's a Black Russian... did you know Vodka isn't made from potatoes anymore and hasn't been in decades? Sheesh...

I have never had a REAL Old Fashioned. I hear there's a place in town that actually makes them from scratch... I'll have to check that out one of these days.

Beer.... in a can. Why? Beer doesn't get skunked in a can and taste tests show that people can't tell. Cans transport so much better.

Wine... after years of living in SE Asia and the Western Pacific Islands my taste buds have been totally fried by hot peppers (we're talkin' HOT peppers).... which means that good, expensive wine is wasted on me. I'll have the cheapest 12% red you got... I mix it with lemon lime soda and have it Spritzer style.

How often do I drink? My cardiologist suggests 1 or 2 glasses per week. So, it's 1 or 2 glasses per week... sometimes I skip for a month or two but substitute dark grape juice or a chunck of dark chocolate if I'm thinkin' about it.

Now coffee on the other hand is a whole other subject....
Old 07-04-2014, 10:55 PM

I really love Weiss beer, and a few of the craft beers that have popped up in Cape Town over the past few years.

This has to be my favorite, the first craft beer I tasted, and I always come back to it. Just delicious, but it could have a longer lasting head.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

Here's a cocktail I invented the other evening. I call it the Classic Clarkston:

3 ounces Jack Daniels
1 ounce Martini&Rossi
1 slice of lemon

Combine first two ingredients in blender, shake for 20 seconds.
Pour into an old fashioned glass filled with ice.
Squeeze lemon and drop into the glass.
Makes 1 cocktail.

It's pretty good.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:27 AM

speaking of creating things: I was taking a pint (Hansa) and my mate decided to put some whisky into my bottle much to my horror. I took a sip, and 'WOW!' it is flipping good! different, but good!