DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-27-2014, 09:01 PM
Silver Member

Default Heads for 5.5x14 maple snare?

I've had Aquarian Modern Vintage Medium heads on my Gretsch snare for over a year, and it's time to replace them. I can't say those heads really rocked my world (the type is great on toms but on the snare it seems to choke the life out of the drum).

Anybody have head recommendations for getting a good, warm tone out of this snare? I have really been liking the Evans 360 heads (although I tried a reverse-dot on this snare and it was a little too muffling). So I'm thinking maybe EC2 coated for the batter side?
Old 01-27-2014, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Heads for 5.5x14 maple snare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken View Post
I've had Aquarian Modern Vintage Medium heads on my Gretsch snare for over a year, and it's time to replace them. I can't say those heads really rocked my world (the type is great on toms but on the snare it seems to choke the life out of the drum).

Anybody have head recommendations for getting a good, warm tone out of this snare? I have really been liking the Evans 360 heads (although I tried a reverse-dot on this snare and it was a little too muffling). So I'm thinking maybe EC2 coated for the batter side?
Given everything you've said about how you feel the Modern Vintage and the Power Center Reverse Dot choke the life out of your snare, an EC2 Coated is absolutely not the head for you. You will be very dissatisfied with it as it is a double ply (two 7mil plies) with an edge-control treatment, that dampens the higher frequencies.

You are much better off with a coated G1, or if you need durability but still a bit more liveliness to the head, try a G12.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:19 PM
Silver Member

Ah ok, thanks, I need to pay more attention to number of layers and layer thickness. I've just been so surprised by heads seeming to randomly sound good that I've come to think of it as a bit of a mystic process, but really I guess common sense applies. :-P

I love a ringy snare. You can always dampen the ring out, but you can't make a dampened snare ring.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken View Post
I agree with Yoshinya, if you think a reverse-dot sounds head muffled, definitely don't get an EC2. I also second the coated G1. I used to muffle the heck out my snare drums in the past but went the complete opposite direction now.

To get a good drum sound you need:
a) good tuning
b) a good drum head

Quality of drums comes next.
I don't like muffled drum heads. You can always control overtones with moongel, gaffar tape, used paper towels, toilet paper or whatever. But you cannot get any sustain (and ring) back, should you choose so.

BTW: Evans 360 seems more of a technique to produce drum heads than a certain sound of drum heads to me.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:01 PM

I think selection of heads really is a case-by-case, drum-by-drum basis. On my Tama Starclassic Maple, Starclassic Performer Birch, or S.L.P. Vintage Steel 5.5" x 14" snares, I prefer a coated G1 or Power Center (top or reverse dot), as it complements the character of those drums and allows them to sing.

On my Pork Pie Big Black (Brass) 6.5" x 14", I really like a coated G2, ST (not the ST Dry) or an Onyx. I wouldn't dare put any of those on the other snares, but they all seem to add a little "beefiness", tonally, to that particular drum, without killing much of the ring (which I like).

eric_B is right: You're better off getting a head with all the overtones and ring still present, and muffling it to your own tastes, if need be.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshinya View Post
Given everything you've said about how you feel the Modern Vintage and the Power Center Reverse Dot choke the life out of your snare, an EC2 Coated is absolutely not the head for you. You will be very dissatisfied with it as it is a double ply (two 7mil plies) with an edge-control treatment, that dampens the higher frequencies.

You are much better off with a coated G1, or if you need durability but still a bit more liveliness to the head, try a G12.
I agree completely. I have tried basically all of evans heads on my black panther, I haven't disliked one in particular but my favorite in definitely the G1. It really lets the drum sing with a clear note but still having a good crack and a variety of overtones. The other one I liked was the G12 with lower tone and a little less overtones if that's what your looking for.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:18 AM

I've got a Remo Coated Ambassador on top and a clear Ambassador on the bottom of my 5.5x14 Gretsch New Classic Maple snare. I think thats a great combination.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:11 PM
Silver Member

I have an Aquarian hi energy on a yamaha tour custom 14x5.5 maple snare and it rounds great with a very wide tuning range.
You can here it on the link below (live and unmiked)
http://youtu.be/ZNfzLtYVITc
Old 01-30-2014, 10:21 AM
Platinum Member

My first choice is always an ambassador. If I want to dry it out a bit I can use a control ring or moongel.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:58 PM

I like my 8 ply Spaun maple snare to have a slightly drier bark to i. The HD and HD Drys are too far in that direction, so I use the Evans Genera coated head. Basically just a G1 coated with the thin muffling ring on the underside.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:34 AM
Silver Member

Following up on this: I ended up getting an Evans 360 G1 Coated for the top and a standard Hazy 300 for the bottom. Tuned to about mid-range it sounds amazing. Behind the kit it's a bit ringier than I want, but from in front (and on loose mic recordings) it sounds punchy and awesome.

My only minor complaint is that this head has no texture, which would make brush work difficult, but I don't use brushes very much nowadays.

So far I've really been impressed by the 360s. The guy at Guitar Center shrugged it off as a marketing gimmick but they actually sound better to my ear.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:02 AM
Administrator

Hazy 300 on the snare side and Genera HD Dry on the batter. EVANS