DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 12-21-2013, 09:07 AM

Default Best Bonham Snare Tuning Method

Hey guys

I would like to know all your Bonham Tuning Method's I'm trying to tune my Supra at the moment so any advice would help!

Cheers!
Old 12-21-2013, 09:13 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: BEST BONHAM SNARE TUNING METHOD

There is a nice video with Jeff Ochletree who was Bonzos tech for a spell

Search utoob

He has Bonzos green sparkle kit and discuses the tuning in decent detail.

Bonhams supra was Steel, not chrome over brass
Old 12-21-2013, 09:21 AM

Default Re: Best Bonham Snare Tuning Method

I have watched that video like 1000 times ahahaha it's so vague though in my opinion. What I would really like to know is what were the pitches of his batter and reso that would be rad if anybody knew that.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:25 AM
Silver Member

I don't have answers for the pitch....

Have you seen the dude Joe2112 channel on utoob...

You should be able to cop the snare pitch from a Zep tune....or drop in on Joe2112... I'm sure he will know....his kit sound phenomenal
Old 12-21-2013, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Bonhams supra was Steel, not chrome over brass
Half right. Bonham's Supra was aluminium.......not chrome over brass. Supra's have never been made with a steel shell.

Bonzo's tuning methods are well covered online and have been discussed at length here on DW. Have a scour mate, there's a ton of info available. However, most of it entails a "best guess". Tuning guidance from both Ocheltree and Mick Hinton can be found via a simple Google search, but the man himself never tuned to specific pitches nor did he use drum dials or tune bots or the like (they just weren't invented before he curled the toes up). The best you can do is use the available information and play around with the tuning until you get something that you think is close.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Platinum Member

+1.If you ever come across a steel shelled supra....hold on to it,for they are very rare birds,and only rumored to actually exist.The same for 8 lug surpas,10 lug 5x14 acros,which do exist,in very small numbers.

Jeff uses the term metal,to differenciate the ludalloy shell,from the brass shell.

Bonham prefered the ludalloy shell LM 402,which is an alloy of aluminum and zinc.

Go to youtube and search Bonzoliums channel.Terry is serious Bonzo fan,and he does a vid on how Bonzo tuned his drums,which is pretty dead on..He's also a forum member.

Steve B

Last edited by tamadrm; 12-23-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Half right. Bonham's Supra was aluminium.......not chrome over brass. Supra's have never been made with a steel shell.
My bad; I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:03 AM

Default Bonzo snare tuning

Hey guys I just wanted to share some thoughts I had on Bonzo's snare tuning with you and see what you guys think and get your opinions on it.

Over the last year I have been studying and trying to get that Bonzo snare sound and I have literally talked to dozens of people and watched footage after footage and listened to track after track and today I finally came to the conclusion that Bonzo's snare sound was ever evolving. If you listen to his snare sound on say "The song remains the same" its a very round, buttery mid to mid-high tuned snare that I hear but compared to say the late Zep days for example seen in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJkP5slkz98) he began tuning his snare higher than he used to, it sounds as if the batter and the reso are tuned to around the same tension.

Your responses are appreciated :)
Old 01-17-2014, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

I think the tuning was the same or very similar,and the seemingy higher pitch,is more a function of the recording and the acoustics.than the tuning.I've heard recordings from this period,and saw Zep live around the same time,and Bonzos snare drum sound, was one of the consistant things about his set ups.

Forum member Bonzolium,can give you more detailed info on the tuning,but you'll never get that exact sound,because you're not Bonzo.The sticks he used,and where and how he hit the drums.also gave him that sound.Trying to duplicate it...may ..get you in the ballpark,but you're not going to hit that grand slam homer.

Steve B
Old 01-28-2014, 04:38 AM

The Snare can obviously be a tricky thing without trying to emulate someone else's sound. Bonzo's sound was one of the best drum kit sounds ever. His snare seems to be the most challenging to find the right tuning - I've messed around with this and it drove me crazy- ultimately I came to the conclusion that to get it right you first need the same drum, the same skins, and the same snare at the time they were made- I am hard pressed to believe that the art and manufacturing of drum making didn't evolve over the years, and quite frankly he simply had HIS WAY of tuning to the drum and his ear. I've come close enough and at that i stopped trying to figure it out because trying to split the atom was crossing my eyes. This is how i got close. I do a basic tightening of the reso head then hit the drum on the side to hear the sound of the drum ( Its note ) then bring the reso to that then I do the the same with the batter. After that i go back to the reso and tune it up a hair until i hear that true harmonic pitch come out at each lug. Now I am back at the batter? this is where I had serious issues but I found if i stayed true to the drums sound which could be up or down a bit depending on the drum. There is one studio out take of Bonham playing "fool in the rain" on "you tube" , which is a good example of his sound in a good acoustically complimenting room. And I think that is the best snare sound known to man personally.
So that is what i did, and my own experience with the Bonham "snare" dilemma.
Also Jason Bonham (still alive) has some pretty good snare sounds in honour of his dad too, lets not forget Jason!!!!
Just want to say thank you to everyone on here -- I get so much great advice and new ideas, so>>>>>> cheers to all.

Last edited by Derek LJ; 01-30-2014 at 09:36 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-29-2014, 04:44 AM

I would say that both going by what i've both heard&read his reso head was tuned to the pitch of a banjo head or in 4ths.His batter either medium-tight or tight or interms of pitch in 3rds.Now i DONT know what "halfs/thirds&fourths" mean interms of pitch as i've NEVER tuned to pitches(don't know how to).But IMHO i read in Drum magazine that the pitch's is somewhere between a half &third-fourth, now to me that means either 3-4 turns of the drum key on the reso side&2-3 turns of the drum key on the batter side.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:58 AM

To at to my recent post about Bonham's snare sound and tuning, I would also like to share my DW collectors series Nickel over brass ( 6 1/2 x 14 ) snare tuning - snare skin is a Remo Ambassador clear and the batter head is a Remo coated vintage emperor. I tuned it by ear ( which I do all my drums ), true to the drum tone. Then i brought it up a bit on the bottom to get the right harmonic ring, and continued with the batter, fine tuning it to where it naturally wanted to be in relation to the snare head. Now I know a lot of people say to crank the bottom head. In my experience I don't believe that "CRANK" actually means CRANK. It is a thiner skin so if you tune it up a bit It will make a huge difference. If you crank it to much It will sound awful. No matter what you do you have to stay true to the drum. Moving on, after i finished tuning the drum I found it to be a very similar to Bonham's sound - phenomenal, It has a great pop and nice tone with a very close ring, and as much snare wash as I want. For the hell of it I put the Drum Dial on it and the snare was 82ish and the Batter was 87- 89. I use my ear because the dial isn't accurate harmonically - each lug can vary harmonically and the dial can't hear that - It's ok to get you in the ball park if you need it, but the ear doesn't lie.
You can't force a drum to get a sound it can't produce - It can only sound as good as it can. every drum has a sweat spot and i Believe with Bonham he was just able to easily find that sweat spot. Simple.And a lot of guys on Hear say" trust your ear " , and I say "believe them".
Old 01-31-2014, 04:27 AM
dreyn77

Ever heard of a tension wrench? it's the only way you can know if you are accurite.

I've heard all the rubbish about this person. This is a joke and it'll go on forever! He was a boozer and his mates were idiots. Jimi page is still and idiot. so to is plant.

If your having trouble maybe you need to soak the skins in beer first.

I prefer Al to steel too. steel is BS for drums! it's good for wobble boards.
If you guys were so interested in steel you'd have twisted steel stands and forged leaves on the end of those lock nuts etc...

All I see in catalogues is excuses to add adjustable mounts to everything! this adds to the price of the object, and you guys keep buying it. when are you going to decide on the right height for the object? then you can get the real stand made for it. you know the hand forged model?!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyn77 View Post
I've heard all the rubbish about this person. This is a joke and it'll go on forever! He was a boozer and his mates were idiots. Jimi page is still and idiot. so to is plant.
You were worthy of a giggle.........initially.

But now it's just old and you sound like a dimwit. Can you dribble, drool and occasionally soil yourself elsewhere?

I'm now officially bored shitless!!
Old 01-31-2014, 12:57 PM
dreyn77

You've never been in the same room as this proven dimwit and you act like you'd take a hit for him.
Your thoughts have wandered from the reality path.
I find myself having to explain about a couple of guys who offered some relief from reality back in the past. Life has moved on. LED ZEP are but a distant memory in some peoples minds. Most of the world has no idea who they are.
If you can't tune a drum and you need to use a dead guys mysteryous gossip technique, then you are truely lost.
The guy died because he didn't ultimately care, if he did he wouldn't have left a mystery. The guy spent his days getting plastered and not recording/ documenting drumming information for us to all share. Let's call that 'selfish'.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:03 PM
dreyn77

Still no worthy foe has chosen to offer free advice on Peace Drums.
THat means this forum is full of unworthy commentors.
There is NO honour among thee here, don't put up info telling readers you have honour.

Don't buy new and don't follow the crooked advisers here!
Old 01-31-2014, 01:06 PM
Platinum Member

dreyn77,
you're on the verge of getting banned.
Please reconsider your manners here or - well, guess what will happen.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:09 PM
dreyn77

He played a drum kit because they gave it too him and the shops want YOU and I to copy him and they want $8000 fromYOUR and MY pocket.

Take that $8000 and put a payment on land. They are going to do it with the money so why not copy them. If you buy the drum kit they are going to put up your rent $'s.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:42 AM

AND this is why i sometimes cringe&HATE both the internet&social media!.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:58 AM

Think what you want Dreyn I never did once mention John Henry Bonham's Temperament. This post was never about The life and times of Bonzo. This post was about myself being inspired by a beautiful sounding drum and wanting to emulate it with help and advice from the many talented drummers on this forum. Thanks to all that put positive input into this post, you were all very helpful.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:04 AM
Platinum Member

Forget Dreyn mate. Dreyn was a moron. In fact, the single greatest moron that I've encountered on this, or any other forum.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:18 AM

Not to sound like a jerk, but I say forget about Bonham's snare tuning. Come up with your own. Your own would probably sound better than his. I'm not trying to be negative here. I'm just saying that I think too many people get caught up in Bonham. I know he's amazing and all that, but I would rather come up with my own stuff. I don't want to be Bonham or play his set up or have his set up or have a set of clear, see-thru drums. Forget that. I want to have a better set up than him. I want to be better than him. I want to play stuff he didn't play or couldn't play. Rant over. Sorry. I think you get my point. Have your own sound. Take it easy. Good luck! :) And this is coming from someone who is influenced by John Bonham.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyn77 View Post
Still no worthy foe has chosen to offer free advice on Peace Drums.
THat means this forum is full of unworthy commentors.
There is NO honour among thee here, don't put up info telling readers you have honour.

Don't buy new and don't follow the crooked advisers here!
Walking on a dead man's grave is really bad kharma.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:15 AM
stellar92010
This message has been deleted by stellar92010. Reason: not sure
Old 02-06-2014, 09:51 AM
Silver Member

I'm fully convinced that everything envied about Bonham's sound is mostly due to room sound/ audio engineering, big sticks, and technique. He had a lot of tunings and cymbals, but all sounded like him no matter what. Channeling the vibe is #1, because music needs music more than it needs god-tone drums.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodgey4 View Post
I'm fully convinced that everything envied about Bonham's sound is mostly due to room sound/ audio engineering, big sticks, and technique. He had a lot of tunings and cymbals, but all sounded like him no matter what. Channeling the vibe is #1, because music needs music more than it needs god-tone drums.
Yes.

He could produce the Bonham Sound with Ludwig Maples/ Vistalites/ and Steel at the end. It was the same snare, true, but he could get his sound from that snare in a recording studio, in a hallway, in an auditorium with 80k people or probably on top of a Medieval Castle. The sound of not only the snare, but the entire kit and even cymbals he made his own when he sat down behind the kit. He put himself, his absolute love for drumming, his problems, his fears, his positive attributes, his power and his gentleness of being a father. He put his soul into the whole kit and his playing, this is what makes him a legend.
Vater 2B
Hardware Assorted