DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-17-2013, 09:47 AM
Arky's Avatar
Arky Arky is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,048
Default Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqm43...ature=youtu.be

According to the video, those sticks are made of advanced aerospace grade carbon fiber composite. Feel is said to be very similar to wood. Weight and pitch will be within an extremely tight corridor. High durability - e.g. hardly any marks from rimshots.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-17-2013, 05:37 PM
porter's Avatar
porter porter is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,771
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

Interesting. I do a lot of rimshots and my sticks usually look like somebody's been chopping them up. Also, the Nerve is helping my impressions :)

Not keen on spending $50 on sticks, though, especially since I haven't seen them anywhere around to try- and I'm skeptical about how they sound on cymbals (mostly on rides).
__________________
Check out my Youtube channel!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-17-2013, 06:54 PM
jornthedrummer jornthedrummer is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 596
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

Commercial suicide?


202020202020202020666
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-17-2013, 07:03 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is online now
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 13,758
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

Quote:
Originally Posted by jornthedrummer View Post
Commercial suicide?


202020202020202020666
I don't think so. At 50 bucks a pair....if they last 5x as long as regular sticks then my drumstick budget shouldn't change much. I am just assuming they are 50 bucks a pair because porter said it.

Pretty impressive though, I gotta say. The weight and the tone is so consistent. If they end up costing the same as wood sticks in the long run....it's a better value because of the consistency, which wood cannot match. The rimclicks sounded superior to the wooden stick, at least in that example.

I'd try a pair. I bet there is zero warpage too.
__________________
Great art is born out of great pain.

Gomez Addams
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-17-2013, 07:13 PM
eclipseownzu's Avatar
eclipseownzu eclipseownzu is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New London, CT
Posts: 934
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

I look at this like the Ahead sticks. I really dont want to hit my cymbals with something that is harder than the cymbals themselves. I would really like a more durable stick because for some reason I go through a shit load of sticks, but not at the risk of my cymbals.
__________________
www.reverbnation.com/stikpin
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-17-2013, 07:15 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is online now
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 13,758
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

Carbon fiber is harder than bronze?
__________________
Great art is born out of great pain.

Gomez Addams
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-17-2013, 07:56 PM
Fuo's Avatar
Fuo Fuo is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,684
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

Quote:
Originally Posted by jornthedrummer View Post
Commercial suicide?
Nah... Like Larry said, plus people will loose them, and want different sizes, etc. And I'm sure there are bashers out there mighty enough to break these on a regular basis. Some people take pride in breaking lots of sticks, they'll take even more pride in breaking these :)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-17-2013, 07:56 PM
porter's Avatar
porter porter is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,771
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

All of Firth's website links are charging around $48 a pair. Bizarrely, Rupps still has them at $100- which was their price when they were originally introduced at least a year ago IIRC. Not totally sure.
__________________
Check out my Youtube channel!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-17-2013, 08:31 PM
TColumbia37's Avatar
TColumbia37 TColumbia37 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Davenport, Iowa
Posts: 909
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

They've certainly caught my attention. I might have to get ahold of a pair.

My biggest concern is how the tips will sound on cymbals. I'm really not a fan of nylon tips. If they have somehow found a way to create a composite material that doesn't give you a sound similar to that of nylon tips, I'll be sold.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-17-2013, 08:37 PM
porter's Avatar
porter porter is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,771
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

Quote:
Originally Posted by TColumbia37 View Post
They've certainly caught my attention. I might have to get ahold of a pair.

My biggest concern is how the tips will sound on cymbals. I'm really not a fan of nylon tips. If they have somehow found a way to create a composite material that doesn't give you a sound similar to that of nylon tips, I'll be sold.
My question as well. Having had some questionable results with non-hickory or maple tips before, I'm a little scared that the carbon fiber tips will give the bizarre sound that those often do.
__________________
Check out my Youtube channel!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-18-2013, 12:12 AM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is online now
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 13,758
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

Good point about what the tip does to the ride cymbal tone. That is a huge factor. Notice they did not mention that whatsoever in the video.
__________________
Great art is born out of great pain.

Gomez Addams
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-18-2013, 12:23 AM
Jeff Almeyda's Avatar
Jeff Almeyda Jeff Almeyda is offline
Senior Consultant
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,268
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Good point about what the tip does to the ride cymbal tone. That is a huge factor. Notice they did not mention that whatsoever in the video.
Which means they sound weird on the rides.

Even if they do, most rock players could use them for practice and band rehearsal.

Jazz guys will never use em.
__________________
Either you have a purpose behind your expression... or you don't.
JoJo Mayer
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-18-2013, 12:56 AM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is online now
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 13,758
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
Which means they sound weird on the rides.
Lol Jeff, because if they sounded as good, you know they would have been all over that in the video.

If they could solve that issue, then I would consider them.

I like VF sticks. It seems like a good company. Great website too. Who else pitch matches sticks?
__________________
Great art is born out of great pain.

Gomez Addams
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-18-2013, 01:18 AM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Florida's West Coast
Posts: 15,578
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

As one who has really been having problems with his hands lately, I would really like to know about the transfer of energy and just how close they act or react like wood.
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Gretsch Renown
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-18-2013, 03:05 AM
TColumbia37's Avatar
TColumbia37 TColumbia37 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Davenport, Iowa
Posts: 909
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
As one who has really been having problems with his hands lately, I would really like to know about the transfer of energy and just how close they act or react like wood.
According to reviews and such, they have no increase on hand and arm fatigue. They are said to play and react just like a wood stick.

Also, for the rest of you, here's a video comparison of them versus wood tips on a ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr21A8cEShk

I can't believe how good they sound. They're just a little brighter than wood tips, but not nearly as offensively bright as nylon tips can be. Sounds like a good trade-off.

I'm really starting to think that Vic Firth is on to something here.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-18-2013, 03:30 AM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is online now
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 13,758
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

Wow they don't suck! I thought they sounded even warmer than the wood. The wood sounded brighter to me, just by a little.

Hmm...I might buy 1 pair and see how I like them. The tips should outlast hickory by quite a bit I would imagine.

Thanks Tony!
__________________
Great art is born out of great pain.

Gomez Addams
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-18-2013, 03:55 AM
eclipseownzu's Avatar
eclipseownzu eclipseownzu is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New London, CT
Posts: 934
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

I am definitely picking up a set of these. If nothing else for practice. I go through about a pair of sticks a week, so if these were to last a couple of months they would pay for themselves. I play Vic Firth 5B's anyway, so switching to a set of these in a 5B shouldn't be too big of a difference.
__________________
www.reverbnation.com/stikpin
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-18-2013, 04:08 AM
TColumbia37's Avatar
TColumbia37 TColumbia37 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Davenport, Iowa
Posts: 909
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Wow they don't suck! I thought they sounded even warmer than the wood. The wood sounded brighter to me, just by a little.

Hmm...I might buy 1 pair and see how I like them. The tips should outlast hickory by quite a bit I would imagine.

Thanks Tony!
No problem, Larry! I'll probably pick up a pair soon, myself. I'm sure I'll be able to find some locally fairly soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseownzu View Post
I am definitely picking up a set of these. If nothing else for practice. I go through about a pair of sticks a week, so if these were to last a couple of months they would pay for themselves. I play Vic Firth 5B's anyway, so switching to a set of these in a 5B shouldn't be too big of a difference.
I know what you mean. I NEVER used to break sticks, but I've just been eating through them lately.

I've always played 5A, but I need to switch to something bigger, anyhow. If you get ahold of some, let us know how they work out for you!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-18-2013, 04:21 AM
sonnygrabber's Avatar
sonnygrabber sonnygrabber is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: As far away as is possible.
Posts: 476
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter View Post
All of Firth's website links are charging around $48 a pair. Bizarrely, Rupps still has them at $100- which was their price when they were originally introduced at least a year ago IIRC. Not totally sure.
So if they sell for $50 in the States that means they'll be $250 here in Oz, (slight exaggeration...maybe). Won't be picking any of these up any time soon, alas.
__________________
It's better to sit in silence and be thought a fool, than open ones mouth and remove all doubt..
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-18-2013, 11:11 PM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Florida's West Coast
Posts: 15,578
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

I assume they are waiting to see the response before making other sizes. Does anyone know the process? And they molded or heat forced some way. Just wondering
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Gretsch Renown
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-18-2013, 11:41 PM
Fiery's Avatar
Fiery Fiery is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Serbia
Posts: 705
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

How do they compare to Aquarian Graphite sticks?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-19-2013, 12:44 AM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,046
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

I'm always a fan of a well-made, great-feeling synthetic stick, but there have been only a few that measured up in the last 30 years. If these are the old Carbosticks/Blackwood products, they're not so great.

If they're not, I'd be interested in checking them out!

Bermuda
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-19-2013, 04:58 AM
porter's Avatar
porter porter is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,771
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

Quote:
Originally Posted by TColumbia37 View Post
According to reviews and such, they have no increase on hand and arm fatigue. They are said to play and react just like a wood stick.

Also, for the rest of you, here's a video comparison of them versus wood tips on a ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr21A8cEShk

I can't believe how good they sound. They're just a little brighter than wood tips, but not nearly as offensively bright as nylon tips can be. Sounds like a good trade-off.

I'm really starting to think that Vic Firth is on to something here.
Very interesting! I guess I am going to pick a pair of these up then. They actually seemed to pull more low-end out of the ride for me. Yes please!
__________________
Check out my Youtube channel!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-26-2013, 02:22 PM
mandrew mandrew is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 722
Default titan sticks

Anyone tried the new VF Titan sticks?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-27-2013, 04:17 AM
gretsch-o-rama's Avatar
gretsch-o-rama gretsch-o-rama is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hornell, NY
Posts: 307
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

I've never been concerned with sticks holding up. They're cheap. Im more concerned with drums, cymbals and heads etc... somehow I feel the titans would threaten that..
__________________
Practice smarter. Not harder.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-27-2013, 07:55 AM
longgun's Avatar
longgun longgun is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,330
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I assume they are waiting to see the response before making other sizes. Does anyone know the process? And they molded or heat forced some way. Just wondering
You'd think if they went through the process of creating / marketing, etc. they'd offer a few sizes at least.........5b's are a little too big for my taste
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-25-2013, 01:43 PM
Jeff Almeyda's Avatar
Jeff Almeyda Jeff Almeyda is offline
Senior Consultant
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,268
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

I just got a pair and so far, so good.

My biggest pet peeve with sticks is the weight inconsistency. Pitch pairing never made much sense to me as a kit player because I just take the sticks and throw them all in my stick bag anyway. But I hate it when one stick feels much lighter than the other.

These sticks are on the heavy side, which I like, and they are the same weight, every time. They are straight and I assume that they will maintain their straightness despite temperate and humidity changes, we'll see about that.

I use nylon tip sticks so I the change in cymbal tone is negligible as a rock player. They do sound much better and more natural than any other synthetic stick I've used. Rimshots are killer. (I doubt the straight ahead guys will change anyway.)

I got a pair for $42.00 . If they make me happy over the next few months, I may switch.
__________________
Either you have a purpose behind your expression... or you don't.
JoJo Mayer
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-06-2014, 05:58 AM
porter's Avatar
porter porter is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,771
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
I just got a pair and so far, so good.

I use nylon tip sticks so I the change in cymbal tone is negligible as a rock player. They do sound much better and more natural than any other synthetic stick I've used. Rimshots are killer. (I doubt the straight ahead guys will change anyway.)
I also just got a pair today, and they are really something else. I noticed that they sound a little bit brighter on the ride at lower volumes (though if you're playing low volume ride, you probably don't want to use these anyways) but they sound like normal sticks at higher volumes, and sound fantastic on everything else. I find the weight refreshing, and yet they're easy to handle due to the pretty standard diameter (plus, they're hollowed out in the butt of the stick to a certain point to decrease weight- puts a little more weight towards the front so they move more easily). Rimshots are markedly different- the stick contributes a really unique 'pop' to the sound, at least on my die-cast hoops. It's awesome, and I honestly can't see any marks on them where I rimshot. (plus, cross stick sounds are also really good!)

My only complaint so far is that they chip kind of easily on the portion where I'm crashing cymbal edges (most of my cymbals are angled so the stick is reasonably tangential to the edge curve when hit, so I'm not sure why it happens), but it's not any worse than wood chipping. It started happening much quicker than my wood sticks, but I don't expect it to be a major issue as far as life expectancy goes.

Overall, I really like them a lot, for both the logical reasons and the feel reasons. I got mine for ~$45 on Amazon, and I would seriously recommend them for anyone looking for a longer-lasting stick (or just a nice feeling heavy 5B).
__________________
Check out my Youtube channel!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-06-2014, 03:48 PM
TColumbia37's Avatar
TColumbia37 TColumbia37 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Davenport, Iowa
Posts: 909
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter View Post
I also just got a pair today, and they are really something else. I noticed that they sound a little bit brighter on the ride at lower volumes (though if you're playing low volume ride, you probably don't want to use these anyways) but they sound like normal sticks at higher volumes, and sound fantastic on everything else. I find the weight refreshing, and yet they're easy to handle due to the pretty standard diameter (plus, they're hollowed out in the butt of the stick to a certain point to decrease weight- puts a little more weight towards the front so they move more easily). Rimshots are markedly different- the stick contributes a really unique 'pop' to the sound, at least on my die-cast hoops. It's awesome, and I honestly can't see any marks on them where I rimshot. (plus, cross stick sounds are also really good!)

My only complaint so far is that they chip kind of easily on the portion where I'm crashing cymbal edges (most of my cymbals are angled so the stick is reasonably tangential to the edge curve when hit, so I'm not sure why it happens), but it's not any worse than wood chipping. It started happening much quicker than my wood sticks, but I don't expect it to be a major issue as far as life expectancy goes.

Overall, I really like them a lot, for both the logical reasons and the feel reasons. I got mine for ~$45 on Amazon, and I would seriously recommend them for anyone looking for a longer-lasting stick (or just a nice feeling heavy 5B).
Are they leaving any sort of unusual marks on your cymbals?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-06-2014, 04:49 PM
Yoshinya Yoshinya is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA
Posts: 123
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

I'd like to see how everyones' Titan 5Bs are holding up, about 3-4 months after they've bought them...
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-06-2014, 10:06 PM
porter's Avatar
porter porter is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,771
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

Quote:
Originally Posted by TColumbia37 View Post
Are they leaving any sort of unusual marks on your cymbals?
Not at all. The marks on my Coater Ambassadors are a little darker compared to the usual white color of wood sticks but it doesn't seem like it will be an issue.
__________________
Check out my Youtube channel!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-07-2014, 03:14 AM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, CA
Posts: 3,282
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

Aquarian has been making composite sticks since the 80's. These are only $10 on sale.

Aquarian Formula X-10
__________________
5A Sticks--Coated Heads--Acoustic Drums--Cast Bronze Cymbals--Heavy-Duty Hardware
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-07-2014, 06:13 AM
TColumbia37's Avatar
TColumbia37 TColumbia37 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Davenport, Iowa
Posts: 909
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Aquarian has been making composite sticks since the 80's. These are only $10 on sale.

Aquarian Formula X-10
SNAP

I may have to try these
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-07-2014, 08:47 AM
porter's Avatar
porter porter is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,771
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

Those are graphite, looks like (not carbon fiber). I'd be more worried about stick marks from a stick made of the same material as pencil lead.
__________________
Check out my Youtube channel!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-23-2014, 07:42 AM
porter's Avatar
porter porter is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,771
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video



Well, guys, I finally did it. I broke one :( From my previous posts, we can see they lasted 3 and a half months through my very frequent playing. Before these, my sticks were usually ruined by rimshots in 2-3 weeks so by my worst estimate, these lasted 5 times as long as regular sticks in my situation, and they're 5 times the price- so they're an even trade in the worst case estimate. I'd call it better than that, though. I'm definitely buying another pair once I go into college, but for now I'm just going to try a couple different big sticks (starting with the Vater Marching MV-20s I've had for a while) and go from there. Seriously, though, the tone is pretty great for synthetic sticks and they feel great. Rimshots are definitely a bit louder. I recommend them.
__________________
Check out my Youtube channel!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-25-2014, 04:14 AM
mike d mike d is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 78
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

I like the idea, and I'd love to try them by 5B's are not my cup of tea. Anyone know when/where I can get some 5As?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-25-2014, 07:07 AM
porter's Avatar
porter porter is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,771
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

I swear they had 5As when they first tried this a couple years ago (then pulled them and retried). They definitely don't now, though. I suppose we'll have to wait and see if they're popular enough for Vic to introduce more sizes this time.
__________________
Check out my Youtube channel!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-25-2014, 07:32 AM
dat yeti's Avatar
dat yeti dat yeti is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 166
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

I have a Vic Firth catalog that isn't more than a year old, and it has 5A and 5B listed as models. (TI5A, TI5B model #'s). It is the catalog that is black, tall, but not wide, and says celebrating 50 years. Around 75 pages to.

I have tried finding 5A's and haven't had any luck :(, 5B's are a little too much for me!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-18-2014, 09:19 PM
SnareSpectre SnareSpectre is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

I see a lot of positive things going around about the TITAN sticks, so I figured I'd throw a rare negative opinion of them in here:

The company I work for buys the carbon fiber from a supplier, then sells to Vic Firth for these sticks. A guy in the office was given a pair of these, and knowing that I'm a drummer, wanted me to try them out and see what I thought.

From a durability standpoint, these things seem to be awesome. They're also awesome from a "blister" standpoint...they're very smooth and don't tear up your hands at all (although I know some people prefer grippier sticks).

My biggest complaint was the weighting of the stick, and it made it unplayable for me. I know stick preference is totally subjective, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but these things are so forward-weighted (probably from the hollowed-out butt end) that I feel like I'm desperately fighting the stick instead of letting it do the work. I wanted to play for a few hours with them to give him some feedback, but I honestly couldn't stand them for more than 15 minutes. It feels like the equivalent of swinging a baseball bat with a donut on it.

I really am hoping they catch on and make more sizes and weights to choose from because I love the idea of ultra-durable and ultra-consistent sticks like this, but the TITANs themselves just don't do it for me.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-18-2014, 10:50 PM
porter's Avatar
porter porter is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,771
Default Re: Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnareSpectre View Post
My biggest complaint was the weighting of the stick, and it made it unplayable for me. I know stick preference is totally subjective, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but these things are so forward-weighted (probably from the hollowed-out butt end) that I feel like I'm desperately fighting the stick instead of letting it do the work. I wanted to play for a few hours with them to give him some feedback, but I honestly couldn't stand them for more than 15 minutes. It feels like the equivalent of swinging a baseball bat with a donut on it.

I really am hoping they catch on and make more sizes and weights to choose from because I love the idea of ultra-durable and ultra-consistent sticks like this, but the TITANs themselves just don't do it for me.
See, Promark gets that people have these balance preferences! I kind of wish they made the Titans so we'd at least have two balance choices. I much prefer forward weights, which explains why I like these more than you did.

Have to say, though, after playing with Vater Power Houses after breaking that Titan, I prefer the rimshot feel of wood sticks.
__________________
Check out my Youtube channel!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com