DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1761  
Old 01-09-2014, 09:26 PM
Magenta's Avatar
Magenta Magenta is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Gwlad Cymru
Posts: 1,897
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Maybe Emma can get mini Madge some contacts :) I'll ask.
Thank you, you don't have to, and neither does Emma - but she IS good.
__________________
Thinly veiled stiletto
Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Reply With Quote
  #1762  
Old 01-09-2014, 09:48 PM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,368
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
Thank you, you don't have to, and neither does Emma - but she IS good.
Ah, but can she make me look like a woman? That'd be something!

Sorry, chain yanking.

Andy, really pleased for you mate and for Emma!
__________________
Bring Me Coffee or Tea
Reply With Quote
  #1763  
Old 01-09-2014, 09:54 PM
Magenta's Avatar
Magenta Magenta is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Gwlad Cymru
Posts: 1,897
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Ah, but can she make me look like a woman? That'd be something!
Well, if she can do it for me, she can do it for you. And she can - for a fee ;)
__________________
Thinly veiled stiletto
Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Reply With Quote
  #1764  
Old 01-09-2014, 09:55 PM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,368
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
Well, if she can do it for me, she can do it for you. And she can - for a fee ;)
With added surcharge for beard concealment, no doubt?

Next time I go to one of those parties, I might have to be in touch...
__________________
Bring Me Coffee or Tea
Reply With Quote
  #1765  
Old 01-09-2014, 10:00 PM
Magenta's Avatar
Magenta Magenta is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Gwlad Cymru
Posts: 1,897
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
With added surcharge for beard concealment, no doubt?

Next time I go to one of those parties, I might have to be in touch...
Well, you're never going to come cheap, are you, my lovely!
__________________
Thinly veiled stiletto
Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Reply With Quote
  #1766  
Old 01-09-2014, 10:02 PM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,368
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
Well, you're never going to come cheap, are you, my lovely!
What can I say my dear, I have expensive tastes - especially in makeovers.
__________________
Bring Me Coffee or Tea
Reply With Quote
  #1767  
Old 01-09-2014, 10:08 PM
MaryO's Avatar
MaryO MaryO is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,943
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
With added surcharge for beard concealment, no doubt?

Next time I go to one of those parties, I might have to be in touch...
I want before AND after photos. And just how often do you go to one of "those" parties?
__________________
I am deluded enough to think I can bring something to the table - Huey Lewis.
Reply With Quote
  #1768  
Old 01-09-2014, 10:34 PM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,368
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
I want before AND after photos. And just how often do you go to one of "those" parties?
They're probably the kind of parties that you only go to once...
__________________
Bring Me Coffee or Tea
Reply With Quote
  #1769  
Old 01-10-2014, 05:31 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,650
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Andy, you can rest assured that Emma's father was not a local tradesman. Really strong family resemblance. It sounds like she's on for an exciting time!

Duncan, Maybe next incarnation, darls. Have attached evidence to show how forlorn it would all be. No amount of soft focus and clone stamping could save you :)

The piece sound a lot like Metal Machine Music to me, Duncan, but I'm no connoisseur.

I did a noise piece about pain too, called Cold Shower (which I have attached, though I consider it a failed experiment). In my 20s I decided to have exclusively cold showers as some kind of crazy test of my willpower. This continued for nine months.

When you have a cold shower you go through stages. First is the shock. Then you get a bit used to it for a while until the coldness builds up again until it's unbearable! That was the hardest stage to get through but if you did you'd go into a more peaceful phase again before really having to get out.

Quite a trip.
Attached Images
 
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Cold shower 3 128b.mp3 (5.99 MB, 20 views)
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #1770  
Old 01-10-2014, 07:44 AM
aydee aydee is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,308
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I'm so happy today because my daughter just landed a major roll in a Bollywood film. She starts filming in India in March. Great break for a young actress, & exposure to a totally different audience. It's a mass appeal comedy apparently, & stars a well known Indian actor I've never heard of.



Wow, thats massive, Andy. Bollywood is about 3 times the size of Hollywood, so there's a serious career & big bucks out there potentially. Maybe she can fund the Guru marketing program very soon ; ))

G'luck, Emma.


Reply With Quote
  #1771  
Old 01-10-2014, 09:27 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 15,902
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Andy, you can rest assured that Emma's father was not a local tradesman. Really strong family resemblance. It sounds like she's on for an exciting time!
Thank you for that comfort Grea ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post



Wow, thats massive, Andy. Bollywood is about 3 times the size of Hollywood, so there's a serious career & big bucks out there potentially. Maybe she can fund the Guru marketing program very soon ; ))

G'luck, Emma.


Thanks Abe. I know you have experience in this sector. Certainly, any insights you have would be useful. Emma's agent is currently checking out the director & production company. To date, both have communicated freely. Lucky that Emma's agent is of Indian decent :) Of course, I have all the usual parental concerns, but so long as they're satisfied, I'm happy about the opportunity. Let's face it, any major film business is difficult to break into for a young actress, so I'm pretty excited by the potential. Small steps.
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #1772  
Old 01-19-2014, 09:36 PM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,665
Default Re: Random Thoughts

I found a new use for an old Tama drum rack:

Per my kids (4 and 7) you can use it to build a super weapon for the US Army.

lol.
Reply With Quote
  #1773  
Old 01-20-2014, 04:34 AM
MrInsanePolack's Avatar
MrInsanePolack MrInsanePolack is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 1,470
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I found a new use for an old Tama drum rack:

Per my kids (4 and 7) you can use it to build a super weapon for the US Army.

lol.
You should make a potato gun out of it for them. It's not a super weapon, but I am sure they would really appreciate it.
__________________
Wanted: GURU 13x7 Segmented English Ash & Ovangkol with Ovangkol Segmented Hoops
Reply With Quote
  #1774  
Old 01-20-2014, 04:38 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 9,814
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
........It's not a super weapon........
Tell that to the potato.
__________________
What's the best cape for running away from a gig?
Reply With Quote
  #1775  
Old 01-21-2014, 07:18 AM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,368
Default Re: Random Thoughts

I'm pretty amazed by this virtual machines malarkey...
__________________
Bring Me Coffee or Tea
Reply With Quote
  #1776  
Old 01-25-2014, 04:40 PM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, CA
Posts: 3,125
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Tool's parody about the new album coming out this year hopefully before Christmas. It's in German with English sub-titles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3bveYrlrlI
__________________
5A Sticks--Coated Heads--Acoustic Drums--Cast Bronze Cymbals--Heavy-Duty Hardware
Reply With Quote
  #1777  
Old 02-04-2014, 03:27 PM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: God's Waiting Room
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: Random Thoughts

I just had to post this as an example of where we are in this world.

I started competitive swimming when I was 14. Lots of work, lots of fun. I swam until I was 35. I also coached summer leagues for many years to help pay my way through college. When my son was growing up he had interests in fishing, golf, lacrosse, basketball, but never swimming. I never pushed, just encouraged, any of his activities.
Now his son, who is 8 has started swimming, 2nd year and I love it. Last summer I went to one of his meets, and was proud of his accompolishments no matter how small. This year he is swimming winter meets through a local Maryland YMCA. He had a meet this past weekend and I asked my son to take a few pictures since I am in Florida. His response to me was, "They frown on it". I said why would that be. He replied in one word. PERVERTS. I almost fell off of my chair. People are actually stalking kids swim meets to take photos of kids in their Speedos? I told my son, never mind, I will talk to my grandson about how well he did later by Skype. I tell you I just give up on this world. It is not worth it.
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Reply With Quote
  #1778  
Old 02-04-2014, 06:53 PM
MrInsanePolack's Avatar
MrInsanePolack MrInsanePolack is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 1,470
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I just had to post this as an example of where we are in this world.

I started competitive swimming when I was 14. Lots of work, lots of fun. I swam until I was 35. I also coached summer leagues for many years to help pay my way through college. When my son was growing up he had interests in fishing, golf, lacrosse, basketball, but never swimming. I never pushed, just encouraged, any of his activities.
Now his son, who is 8 has started swimming, 2nd year and I love it. Last summer I went to one of his meets, and was proud of his accompolishments no matter how small. This year he is swimming winter meets through a local Maryland YMCA. He had a meet this past weekend and I asked my son to take a few pictures since I am in Florida. His response to me was, "They frown on it". I said why would that be. He replied in one word. PERVERTS. I almost fell off of my chair. People are actually stalking kids swim meets to take photos of kids in their Speedos? I told my son, never mind, I will talk to my grandson about how well he did later by Skype. I tell you I just give up on this world. It is not worth it.
Yeah that is retarded. A parent can't photograph his own kid?

I have noticed that on the local news, if there is a story in a local school (K-12) they now blur out the students if they are shown, or only video their feet as they walk. Why? Are people that desperate to abuse kids? Do stalkers record the news in hopes to see a child? I find this a bit disturbing.
__________________
Wanted: GURU 13x7 Segmented English Ash & Ovangkol with Ovangkol Segmented Hoops
Reply With Quote
  #1779  
Old 02-04-2014, 07:59 PM
IDDrummer's Avatar
IDDrummer IDDrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: I-Dee-Ho
Posts: 3,304
Default Re: Random Thoughts

I've made a big decision.

I'm stepping away from the gigging scene after more than 30 years. I'm not loving it any more, it's a big distraction from what I need to be doing right now, the money isn't worth it, I wake up early these days no matter how late I'm up, and the body just doesn't adjust the way it used to.

I'm not sure yet how this is going to fit into my life, because I've self-identified as a drummer for my whole adult life (no matter how I made my living). It's sad, but I need to move on. I feel stuck in an endless loop.
__________________
http://www.gurudrums.co.uk/
Reply With Quote
  #1780  
Old 02-04-2014, 08:30 PM
HipshotPercussion's Avatar
HipshotPercussion HipshotPercussion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Port Townsend, WA
Posts: 454
Default Re: Random Thoughts

I understand how you feel. I've been a professional writer since my teens. I don't write what I used to write anymore - for the same reasons you're not gigging. Can you think of yourself as a drummer even if you're not going out to venues every few nights? I still see myself as a writer, no matter what.

I think we're whatever is in our souls.
__________________
Hipshot Percussion
DW Collectors
"You can't have too big a dream - or too many drums."
Reply With Quote
  #1781  
Old 02-04-2014, 11:12 PM
MrInsanePolack's Avatar
MrInsanePolack MrInsanePolack is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 1,470
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Same here. I stepped away from gigging after 8 years because we (gigging and I) just didn't get along. I need to be at home at night, not some unfamiliar place. I still love to play and write music, but now I can do it at my own accord and am much happier because of it.

I still identify myself as a drummer, and it fits into a normal lifestyle just fine. Don't be disappointed with yourself or your decision. Just think of the time you will have now to explore the things that possibly you wanted to but just didn't have the time for.
__________________
Wanted: GURU 13x7 Segmented English Ash & Ovangkol with Ovangkol Segmented Hoops
Reply With Quote
  #1782  
Old 02-04-2014, 11:22 PM
IDDrummer's Avatar
IDDrummer IDDrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: I-Dee-Ho
Posts: 3,304
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipshotPercussion View Post
I understand how you feel. I've been a professional writer since my teens. I don't write what I used to write anymore - for the same reasons you're not gigging. Can you think of yourself as a drummer even if you're not going out to venues every few nights? I still see myself as a writer, no matter what.

I think we're whatever is in our souls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
Same here. I stepped away from gigging after 8 years because we (gigging and I) just didn't get along. I need to be at home at night, not some unfamiliar place. I still love to play and write music, but now I can do it at my own accord and am much happier because of it.

I still identify myself as a drummer, and it fits into a normal lifestyle just fine. Don't be disappointed with yourself or your decision. Just think of the time you will have now to explore the things that possibly you wanted to but just didn't have the time for.
Thank you for the encouragement and for sharing your experiences, gentlemen.
__________________
http://www.gurudrums.co.uk/
Reply With Quote
  #1783  
Old 02-06-2014, 12:12 AM
Otto Otto is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,119
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Gigging gets in the way of making music.

A 'gig' is about performing for people...recording or simply playing for your own benefit is about constructing music.

To regurgitate something over and over to make $ shouldnt be lauded or defended in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #1784  
Old 02-06-2014, 12:18 AM
con struct's Avatar
con struct con struct is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lumpen post-industrial district
Posts: 2,131
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Gigging gets in the way of making music.

A 'gig' is about performing for people...recording or simply playing for your own benefit is about constructing music.

To regurgitate something over and over to make $ shouldnt be lauded or defended in my opinion.
So you're saying musicians shouldn't make a living?
__________________
Call me J
Reply With Quote
  #1785  
Old 02-06-2014, 12:51 AM
HipshotPercussion's Avatar
HipshotPercussion HipshotPercussion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Port Townsend, WA
Posts: 454
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Gigging gets in the way of making music.

A 'gig' is about performing for people...recording or simply playing for your own benefit is about constructing music.

To regurgitate something over and over to make $ shouldnt be lauded or defended in my opinion.
I'm no fan of concerts in which big name groups play their hit recordings note for note. And I'm not a big fan of cover bands either. My background is in improv. Jazz improv. Rock improv. When every gig was a chance to rework each song and put something new into it. To me, that's what live music was all about.

But to say gigging isn't making music, dood. Sorry, but I don't get that at all. Some of us need that gigging $$$ every now and again, and we can play in order to communicate with our audience without "regurgitating" or having to play without heart...or art. Far from dragging me down, public performance inspires me.

Didn't your mama teach you that every moment is new?

Yeah, mine didn't either. But I've got this Buddhist monk friend and....
__________________
Hipshot Percussion
DW Collectors
"You can't have too big a dream - or too many drums."
Reply With Quote
  #1786  
Old 02-06-2014, 01:03 AM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: God's Waiting Room
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: Random Thoughts

I think gigging can also be defined as me wanting to be entertained by the band and them sharing something with an audience. Paintings hand in galleries for ions, never changing, and people still flocking to see them. I like to entertain and I like to be entertained. to say that gigging isn't making music is pretty shallow. Every performance is different. The band play different, the audience members are different, it is interpreted differently by different people. Turning on a juke box isn't making music. Gigging surely is.
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Reply With Quote
  #1787  
Old 02-06-2014, 01:11 AM
IDDrummer's Avatar
IDDrummer IDDrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: I-Dee-Ho
Posts: 3,304
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Gigging gets in the way of making music.

A 'gig' is about performing for people...recording or simply playing for your own benefit is about constructing music.

To regurgitate something over and over to make $ shouldnt be lauded or defended in my opinion.
I disagree with this premise, for the most part. Different activities, perhaps, but I don't think one is any more or less worthwhile.

No, I'm talking strictly about return on investment, and it's not particularly about money. For a long time, I enjoyed gigging and it was worthwhile to me. These days, for the reasons I mentioned before, it really doesn't work for me. That's just where my situation is right now.

It's still a bit of a struggle to accept that at an emotional level, which is what was really posting about. Before, I could say to someone, "If you want to know what I do and what I'm about, come out this weekend and watch me play!" Now, I don't really have that, and it's a big change.
__________________
http://www.gurudrums.co.uk/
Reply With Quote
  #1788  
Old 02-06-2014, 01:37 AM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, CA
Posts: 3,125
Default Re: Random Thoughts

So, if you take a piece of tracing paper, put it over a nice picture and trace it, does that make you an artist? A good tracing takes some skill, you know?
__________________
5A Sticks--Coated Heads--Acoustic Drums--Cast Bronze Cymbals--Heavy-Duty Hardware
Reply With Quote
  #1789  
Old 02-06-2014, 01:50 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,650
Default Re: Random Thoughts

hgdh rvsdfvs wvtge wevuirvge butweujWJ[

Just a random thought ...
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #1790  
Old 02-06-2014, 02:40 AM
HipshotPercussion's Avatar
HipshotPercussion HipshotPercussion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Port Townsend, WA
Posts: 454
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
I disagree with this premise, for the most part. Different activities, perhaps, but I don't think one is any more or less worthwhile.

No, I'm talking strictly about return on investment, and it's not particularly about money. For a long time, I enjoyed gigging and it was worthwhile to me. These days, for the reasons I mentioned before, it really doesn't work for me. That's just where my situation is right now.

It's still a bit of a struggle to accept that at an emotional level, which is what was really posting about. Before, I could say to someone, "If you want to know what I do and what I'm about, come out this weekend and watch me play!" Now, I don't really have that, and it's a big change.
I was going to say that I've never heard of any major artist in any discipline who didn't do whatever s/he did and deliberately not try to share it with the public. But then I realized that if they weren't sharing, of course I wouldn't know. (Of course, if we all were like that we could all be major - within our own minds. Hey, maybe that is the way to go?
__________________
Hipshot Percussion
DW Collectors
"You can't have too big a dream - or too many drums."
Reply With Quote
  #1791  
Old 02-06-2014, 09:52 PM
Otto Otto is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,119
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipshotPercussion View Post
I'm no fan of concerts in which big name groups play their hit recordings note for note. And I'm not a big fan of cover bands either. My background is in improv. Jazz improv. Rock improv. When every gig was a chance to rework each song and put something new into it. To me, that's what live music was all about.

But to say gigging isn't making music, dood. Sorry, but I don't get that at all. Some of us need that gigging $$$ every now and again, and we can play in order to communicate with our audience without "regurgitating" or having to play without heart...or art. Far from dragging me down, public performance inspires me.

Didn't your mama teach you that every moment is new?

Yeah, mine didn't either. But I've got this Buddhist monk friend and....
I gotta give it up to the gigging improv artists...thats certainly NOT regurgitation!
Reply With Quote
  #1792  
Old 02-06-2014, 10:08 PM
HipshotPercussion's Avatar
HipshotPercussion HipshotPercussion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Port Townsend, WA
Posts: 454
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
I gotta give it up to the gigging improv artists...thats certainly NOT regurgitation!
Ah, Otto and Hipshot - buds for life!
__________________
Hipshot Percussion
DW Collectors
"You can't have too big a dream - or too many drums."
Reply With Quote
  #1793  
Old 02-07-2014, 04:26 AM
Jeremy Bender's Avatar
Jeremy Bender Jeremy Bender is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gulf Coast USA
Posts: 2,067
Default Re: Random Thoughts

The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears it is true.
-- J. Robert Oppenheimer
__________________
"Music is the traveler crossing our world, meeting so many people, bridging the seas"
Reply With Quote
  #1794  
Old 02-07-2014, 09:08 AM
Magenta's Avatar
Magenta Magenta is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Gwlad Cymru
Posts: 1,897
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
I've made a big decision.

I'm stepping away from the gigging scene after more than 30 years. I'm not loving it any more, it's a big distraction from what I need to be doing right now, the money isn't worth it, I wake up early these days no matter how late I'm up, and the body just doesn't adjust the way it used to.

I'm not sure yet how this is going to fit into my life, because I've self-identified as a drummer for my whole adult life (no matter how I made my living). It's sad, but I need to move on. I feel stuck in an endless loop.
For all things there is a season, as they say. It can be very tough, when it's been such a big part of one's life, but when the love is gone ... well, there isn't much point. That doesn't make it easy, and I agree that it's sad.

You'll always be a drummer, though, surely?
__________________
Thinly veiled stiletto
Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Reply With Quote
  #1795  
Old 02-07-2014, 04:11 PM
IDDrummer's Avatar
IDDrummer IDDrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: I-Dee-Ho
Posts: 3,304
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
You'll always be a drummer, though, surely?
I'm not sure. When an astronaut stops flying into space, is he still an astronaut?

I suspect I'll always play at some level. So I suppose the answer is yes. I won't likely be flying into space, though.
__________________
http://www.gurudrums.co.uk/
Reply With Quote
  #1796  
Old 02-07-2014, 04:17 PM
Magenta's Avatar
Magenta Magenta is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Gwlad Cymru
Posts: 1,897
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
I'm not sure. When an astronaut stops flying into space, is he still an astronaut?

I suspect I'll always play at some level. So I suppose the answer is yes. I won't likely be flying into space, though.
Yes of course an astronaut is always an astronaut - to infinity and beyond! It's a state of mind.

Space has never appealed to me. No atmosphere.
__________________
Thinly veiled stiletto
Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Reply With Quote
  #1797  
Old 02-07-2014, 04:39 PM
IDDrummer's Avatar
IDDrummer IDDrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: I-Dee-Ho
Posts: 3,304
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
Yes of course an astronaut is always an astronaut - to infinity and beyond! It's a state of mind.

Space has never appealed to me. No atmosphere.
That made me smile. :)
__________________
http://www.gurudrums.co.uk/
Reply With Quote
  #1798  
Old 02-07-2014, 04:48 PM
Magenta's Avatar
Magenta Magenta is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Gwlad Cymru
Posts: 1,897
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
That made me smile. :)
I'm glad :) ............
__________________
Thinly veiled stiletto
Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Reply With Quote
  #1799  
Old 02-13-2014, 11:21 PM
MrInsanePolack's Avatar
MrInsanePolack MrInsanePolack is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 1,470
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Tomorrow is valentines day. My wife and I don't celebrate it, but I decided to forgo this and get her a watch she really wants. She has been eyeballing this particular watch for well over a year. I went today to go get her the watch and it was gone! Words cannot describe exactly how pissed I am about this. It was there two days ago. It was there two weeks, months, maybe even years ago. Of course now that I can get it for her, it is gone. This sucks.
__________________
Wanted: GURU 13x7 Segmented English Ash & Ovangkol with Ovangkol Segmented Hoops
Reply With Quote
  #1800  
Old 02-13-2014, 11:33 PM
Mad About Drums's Avatar
Mad About Drums Mad About Drums is offline
Pollyanna's Agent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shropshire, UK
Posts: 5,467
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
Tomorrow is valentines day...
geez.. I forgot... trouble....
__________________
Keep On Drumming
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com