DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 05-27-2008, 02:28 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Thomas Lang

Well....I find Thomas' work inspiring, if a little mathematically based. His playing is extremely good and he has helped a lot of drummers improve their skills, sadly whether one has them or not, groove and feel are both unteachable and unlearnable..
Old 05-27-2008, 09:34 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Cable View Post
groove and feel are both unteachable and unlearnable..
I strongly disagree...
Old 11-26-2008, 05:37 PM

For all you thomas lang fans that absolutely Love his work are going to LOVE to hear this: Most recently he has joined a band. The UK band sikth featured some of the most talented musicians i have ever heard. With the most ridiculous time signature changes and melodic phrasing ever!! The band broke up close to a year ago, and DIN the lead guitarist has been looking for an alternate band. And no one could guess he'd be working with THOMAS LANG! What an amazing combination for the type of music they will be creating!

Here's a taste of the guitarist: The bald one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-8aipuDILs

Here's a taste of the style of music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5AEs3CkOkI

Here's a taste of the new project:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=340229667

You will see under blogs a video of lang playing to one of the new songs NOT released yet
Old 11-26-2008, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Thomas Lang Dvd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylernator View Post
hey everyone, does anyone have the Thomas Lang dvd? If so can you tell me if its worth getting? thx!

Depends of what you are looking for. I have it, and found that for me a groove oriented DVD is way more useful.

Lang displays his amazing skill and its certinaly very interesting to watch. The big question, will you be able to use any of this stuff! Let me know.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:22 AM

I've never seen any of his DVDs or been to any clinics, but he is doing a clinic near to me soon. Should I go? What can I expect to take away from it? If he is really all about over your head technical stuff would the ticket money be better spent on a good book/dvd?
Old 04-21-2009, 06:29 PM

Ok after reading some more about him, I've realised what a stupid question that was. I have got my ticket!
Old 04-21-2009, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Thomas Lang Dvd?

That's interesting, I find books/DVDs can't really teach me 'groove'..it seems more of a soul/feel for yourself type of thing.

I do find working on Lang's stuff beneficial for what I would call 'Chops' - sometimes when he goes off using the weird pedals I would never probably buy - I get put off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenYS View Post
Depends of what you are looking for. I have it, and found that for me a groove oriented DVD is way more useful.

Lang displays his amazing skill and its certinaly very interesting to watch. The big question, will you be able to use any of this stuff! Let me know.

http://www.askgavinharrison.com
Old 04-22-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemancan View Post
For all you thomas lang fans that absolutely Love his work are going to LOVE to hear this: Most recently he has joined a band. The UK band sikth featured some of the most talented musicians i have ever heard. With the most ridiculous time signature changes and melodic phrasing ever!! The band broke up close to a year ago, and DIN the lead guitarist has been looking for an alternate band. And no one could guess he'd be working with THOMAS LANG! What an amazing combination for the type of music they will be creating!

Here's a taste of the guitarist: The bald one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-8aipuDILs

Here's a taste of the style of music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5AEs3CkOkI

Here's a taste of the new project:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=340229667

You will see under blogs a video of lang playing to one of the new songs NOT released yet
That is amazing news, thanks for posting this!
Old 05-20-2009, 03:46 PM

Default Thomas Lang UK clinics

I went to Thomas' clinic in Manchester yesterday. Wow is that guy good! But also he was really funny and seemed like a great guy, much more than the heartless, soulless drum machine some have labelled him.

Anyway, he played a solo from his new DVD, and explained about his matrix coordination practice routine to gain 4 limb independence, and it makes a lot of sense. Basically you play singles on your feet and keep that going while you use your hands to play singles (RLRL), then doubles (RRLLRRLL), then triples (RRR LLL), then four....up to eights. Then you play doubles with your feet and repeat the process. Then triples with your feet and repeat...up to playing 8s with the feet. So far so easy (?)!

Then you switch it round, so your hands start with singles and your feet go through the stages (singles, doubles, triples...up to 8s). Then play doubles with your hands and repeat the process, then triples with your hands and repeat.....again up to 8s with your hands. Still with me?

Then the clever bit, you use right hand/left foot singles and go through the process of singles, doubles etc..up to 8s using your left hand/right foot. Then do doubles with RH/LF and repeat, then do triples with RH/LF......

Next do the opposite and use LH/RF for the singles, adding singles, doubles, triples etc with RH/LF...Then work through the process using doubles with LH/RF, then triples, and so on.

It obviously takes a lot of time to go through all the combinations, but if the result is complete 4 way independence I'm up for it! ALso, its a different way of practicing basic rudiments as you get to play singles, doubles, paradiddles etc. And you can do round the kit so its a good all round way to practice.

I'll let you know how it goes in 10 years or so!
Old 05-29-2009, 12:54 PM

This guy is a genius - go see him live or buy his dvd.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:31 AM
Gold Member

Default Thomas Lang Leaves Sonor

Anywho it appears as though Mr. Lang left Sonor for DW.

Anybody have any clue why?

-Jonathan

(sorry mods, not sure why I didn't think of posting that here)

and a like facebook.com/tylordory3

Last edited by Pass.of.E.r.a.; 03-15-2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Founder Drummerworld

I just posted a video where he shows his new kit (DW Promotion):

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/thomaslangdw.html

Bernhard
Old 03-15-2010, 09:33 PM

Mr. Lang, please feel free to send over your old Sonor acrylic set since you won't be needing that anymore. Danke! :)

Look Mommy, there's an airplane up in the sky.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:09 PM

"My experience with the custom shop is... you know... a unique bla bla bla"

Why do all these endorsers bother to emphasize the so-called uniqueness of their brand? They know as well as we do that it's all personal mojo, and I bet you can find soundbytes of Thomas saying the same thing about Sonor. It doesn't mean anything with regard to why he chooses one brand over the other. Apparently "I was in for a change" doesn't cut it, but why is a mystery to me.

That said, whatever floats his boat - if he's happy playing DW instead of Sonor, good luck. Those sound samples sound pretty good, and I definitely like him playing on wood shells more than acrylic. Which of course, does not mean that I would pry that acrylic Sonor set out of his cold hands if I could :-)
Old 03-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member

I think it's all about business.

...and only judging his new kit by the above linked video sounds ...well... quite the opposite of how he describes it, haha :)
Old 03-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
I think it's all about business.

...and only judging his new kit by the above linked video sounds ...well... quite the opposite of how he describes it, haha :)

Yeah it's all about business... DW is all about throwing tons of money at high profile drummers to recruit them. Before I even found out who Thomas went to I just knew it was going to be DW.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member

i heard that sonor is having some financial trouble. that could be why he left. maybe they can't afford him anymore.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:48 PM
Forum Pro

Sonor has (had?) short-work at the home factory in Germany, but that has nothing to do with endorsers. And also DW isn't untouched by the worldwide economic crises.

Thomas want's to do clincis to promote his DVDs etc., and Sonor has no good base in USA and it seems to be they don't want to change it. So he looked out for a company which gives him good oppurtunities in the States. So why not just asked at a good company round the corner? He lives just a few miles away from DW (like some others too, many pros are in and around L.A.).

As an endorser you don't get money, that's a misbelief. Right now only ddrum pays something cash, but that's the absolute exception.

Lang get's no cash from DW, it's even the opposite, besides at the start-up he has to pay for his set like the big majority of all DW Endorsers. At Sonor you get kits for free, but only as a loan, which means you have to give it back (sure that's not strict, but it's not that you are endorser and then get what you want).

Yes, it's about business, but not in case of the endorsement itself, it's the support, opportunities and network that counts.

Last edited by 00Schneider; 03-16-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

It's all fine, except for the fact that drummers tend to make a lot of blabla about how great their new kit is etc etc etc. That's a bit of a shame, since you can never be sure whether one word actually is truthfully meant.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:35 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I agree....
Not sure if it was the micing/recorder but they sounded like tin cans...
Old 03-17-2010, 12:43 AM

My friend actually knows thomas, Lang actually gave my friend one of his acrylic kits with all the cymbals and shit that he didnt need. its awesome
Old 03-17-2010, 08:22 AM
Founder Drummerworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Schneider View Post
Sonor has (had?) short-work at the home factory in Germany, but that has nothing to do with endorsers. And also DW isn't untouched by the worldwide economic crises.

Thomas want's to do clincis to promote his DVDs etc., and Sonor has no good base in USA and it seems to be they don't want to change it. So he looked out for a company which gives him good oppurtunities in the States. So why not just asked at a good company round the corner? He lives just a few miles away from DW (like some others too, many pros are in and around L.A.).

As an endorser you don't get money, that's a misbelief. Right now only ddrum pays something cash, but that's the absolute exception.

Lang get's no cash from DW, it's even the opposite, besides at the start-up he has to pay for his set like the big majority of all DW Endorsers. At Sonor you get kits for free, but only as a loan, which means you have to give it back (sure that's not strict, but it's not that you are endorser and then get what you want).

Yes, it's about business, but not in case of the endorsement itself, it's the support, opportunities and network that counts.
00Schneider nails it!! Exactly how it is.

Just received information from DW that they signed also Dave Grohl, Derek Roddy and J.R. Robinson

Bernhard
Old 03-17-2010, 12:28 PM

But there's my whole point: why bother with all the promo stuff while everyone's going 'yeah right, just tell me why you really switched' - which I think was a pretty good reason, assuming Schneider was right.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:55 AM

Wonder what the drums sound like in real life rather than on video....outside....who knows what mixing or triggers done. I mean, c'mon, the drums are top notch and they probably sound better than the video exhibited. I'd switch if I could (then again, I play Pacific).
Old 03-19-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
00Schneider nails it!! Exactly how it is.

Just received information from DW that they signed also Dave Grohl, Derek Roddy and J.R. Robinson

Bernhard
hasnt grohl been playing dw for ages now?
or was that his own kit rather than a kit given to him?
Old 03-19-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
It's all fine, except for the fact that drummers tend to make a lot of blabla about how great their new kit is etc etc etc. That's a bit of a shame, since you can never be sure whether one word actually is truthfully meant.
Could'nt agree more!
Old 04-18-2010, 02:14 AM
Platinum Member

Why is he outside and not in a studio? And why is he wearing that stuff? I thought they were trying to promote DW.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:28 PM

Am I the only one disappointed he switched to matched grip? I read an interview and he called traditional grip stupid and pointless. It's definitely pointless on a kit (duh, it was adapted for marching snare drummers before carriers were made and the drum hanging from a strap made it necessary), but it still looks cool and imo is sort of a status symbol among many drummers. If you can do it well on a kit, why not?
Old 05-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Gold Member

Well Mr. Lang said it himself, playing Traditional grip was a crutch, and while I agree it looks cool, Thomas Lang has plenty of stick tricks to make up for it. lol!

If you want to hear word for word what he said about matched versus traditional, just read his interview in DRUM! magazine.

-Jonathan

and a like facebook.com/tylordory3
Old 06-01-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad901 View Post
This guy is a genius - go see him live or buy his dvd.
LOL... man, we'll call just about anybody a genius nowadays won't we.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by percusmann View Post
LOL... man, we'll call just about anybody a genius nowadays won't we.
Let me guess: you think Terry Bozzio randomly banging around on his laughably over-sized kit is genius?
Old 06-29-2011, 03:41 PM

Thomas is one of the best drummer ever, I studyed with him privatley, and he's also an awsome person. I had also the pleasure of a cool drumduet on my drumset during a clinic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UIw_ccZREQ

I hope you like it :)
Riccardo Merlini
Old 02-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

Good interview with Thomas:

http://magazine2.idrummag.com/drum-m.../issue7/page/1

-> page 17
Old 02-27-2012, 07:41 PM

I did one of Thomas`s drum camps in Austria. All I can say about his is "He`s a powerhouse."
Old 02-03-2014, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member

Based on his DVD, youtube posts of clinics and general reputation as a soloist, I always figured he was one these guys who practiced in the basement for 20 years and used the net to make a name for himself, but had never really just been just a working drummer laying down 2 and 4.

Then I listening to his podcast interview, and he was the drummer for Falco's entire career in the 80's. I guess overlooked on my part, as Falco and many of the other artists he worked with were far more high profile overseas than in the US. Boy, was I wrong!

So I had to see if there was any footage online:

Last edited by DrumEatDrum; 02-04-2014 at 01:30 AM.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post

And so yes, Thomas Lang in 1985
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbFOA62dCEs
LOL! No way that this is Thomas.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:15 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
And so yes, Thomas Lang in 1985
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbFOA62dCEs
That isn't Thomas Lang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2H8SFyUJpE
That is probably 'Mookie' (spelling?).
Old 02-04-2014, 01:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPockets View Post
That isn't Thomas Lang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2H8SFyUJpE
That is probably 'Mookie' (spelling?).
Perhaps you're right.

Lang says in his interview he implies all of Falco's tours
http://idhitthatpodcast.podomatic.co...08_07_11-07_00
But he also says he joined at age 18, which would be 1985. So it must have been right after that video.

Which means he's somewhere in these videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGnhJTbHSls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auEGzIBUqS8

But no clear shots of his face.