DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 01-29-2014, 04:05 AM
Platinum Member

Default Best Buys from NAMM 2014?

After reviewing the seemingly slim pickings from NAMM this year, I'll venture an opinion that the revised Yamaha Stage Custom (birch) kits and the Crush Eminent Birch or Acrylic kits are the best quality-to-purchase options. These kits seem to have super solid quality at very affordable prices, and they all sound pretty darn good.
  • The Yamaha Absolute Hybrid Maple: far too overpriced, especially for its Chinese-made location/labor. $2,999.00 for the most basic 4 pc. kit? Really??
  • Tama, to my knowledge, has zero kits to offer--nothing in Starclassic range--and no new finishes, really, in the SC range. Only the 40th Anniversary snare line looks cool.
  • Pearl has the BCX kits, which are affordably priced around $1499, but a meager three finish options that each leave something to be desired (the bronze and silver glitter lacquer are eye-destroyingly bright).
  • The Mapex Armory line and the new bearing edges sound cool, but, again, the finishes are hideous or average/decent at best.

What do folks think? I'm really hard pressed to see anything that beats the Stage Customs or Crush Eminents/Acrylics, and of this grouping the new Stage Customs would seem to be the winner: they sound good, quality/hardware has been improved, finishes are pretty good, and drums sizes good and flexible (e.g., Crush Eminents offer no 18", I believe).
Old 01-29-2014, 04:34 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Best Buys from NAMM 2014?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post

...The Yamaha Absolute Hybrid Maple: far too overpriced, especially for its Chinese-made location/labor. $2,999.00 for the most basic 4 pc. kit? Really??...

...What do folks think?...

I think I'd like to see a link to where you're getting that price.

I have Stage Customs, so my thoughts on those are probably biased (I like 'em, and the new ones too.)

Not drums, but I think that new 20" Zildjian Dark Thin Crash is gonna' be nice.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
I think I'd like to see a link to where you're getting that price.

I have Stage Customs, so my thoughts on those are probably biased (I like 'em, and the new ones too.)
Rupps Drums/Massmusic, $2999: http://www.ruppsdrums.com/item/Yamah...-AM2F40J-50194
Old 01-29-2014, 04:46 AM
Platinum Member

OK - while you were writing, I read your post in the Yamaha thread and checked - found this:

http://www.ruppsdrums.com/item/Yamah...-AM2F50J-50207

I noticed in the past that Ruppsdrums was always a bit higher priced than other places - but still....
$3559.99 for your typical 22" kick, 5 piece.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:57 AM
Silver Member

Didnt I just read that the starclassic will have an option coming in the Onyx Wrap finish?
Old 01-29-2014, 05:24 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
What do folks think? I'm really hard pressed to see anything that beats the Stage Customs or Crush Eminents/Acrylics
Gretsch Marquee.

http://www.gretschdrums.com/?fa=drums&sid=757
Old 01-29-2014, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

I noticed that there wasn't really a "this years product" everyone was talking about.

The Signet from Ludwig had some talk, but other than that, not much seems to be going on other than some different edges or whatever (Mapex), some nice finishes.

The new Yamaha YESS with 4 holes is just dumb IMO. They should just go back to the mount on the drum. Their mount never inhibited the resonance when I played them back in the day.

Pearl's new snares seem real nice. New lugs and a new strainer.

The one thing I WILL get this year is the new Gibraltar flat base snare stand with the Ultra Adjust basket.
This is what Ludwig SHOULD HAVE DONE with their ATLAS flat base snare stand.

http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa...id=683&cid=123
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2014, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
[*]The Mapex Armory line and the new bearing edges sound cool, but, again, the finishes are hideous or average/decent at best.
They had a couple of finishes that were nice. The Armory series doesn't cost and arm and leg though. I don't recall the exact price I was told, but it was much cheaper than I anticipated for the quality of the product.

Quote:
What do folks think? I'm really hard pressed to see anything that beats the Stage Customs or Crush Eminents/Acrylics,
In terms of pure cost, the Premier XPK. 7 pc all birch shells for $799 MAP was the best value I saw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.zarate View Post
Didnt I just read that the starclassic will have an option coming in the Onyx Wrap finish?
Indeed

The pic I took
Old 01-29-2014, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
....The Armory series doesn't cost and arm and leg though. I don't recall the exact price I was told, but it was much cheaper than I anticipated for the quality of the product.....
One of the big box stores has the 5 piece Armory for $829, and the 6 piece for $899.
the 5 piece Mars is $599

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming sort of person View Post
I really don't see the point of the Marquee, when the Renowns are available.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
One of the big box stores has the 5 piece Armory for $829, and the 6 piece for $899.
the 5 piece Mars is $599
Holly cow!

In person, The Armory looked like a $1600-2000 type of drum kit.

It's ridiculous how much cheaper drums are compared to 10-20 years ago.

I don't need another drum kit, but if an Armory fell into my lap, I'd certainly play it.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
The one thing I WILL get this year is the new Gibraltar flat base snare stand with the Ultra Adjust basket.
Woa, this is the first I have seen of the new Gibraltar stuff. I'm not really on the market for a new kit or cymbals but I would always love some new hardware. I have the flat base cymbal stands and I love them. Wondering what these sexy new snare stands will retail for...
Old 01-29-2014, 10:32 PM
Silver Member

This was one of our "best buys". :D It definitely went to a good home, an LA session cat bought it. John Ferraro.

Best Regards,
Bill Ray
http://billraydrums.com
Old 01-29-2014, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Red Menace:
Probably around an $85 or $90 street price--comparing it to the 8606 version with the 7/8-3/4 tubing.

There is also a 8706 regular toothed stand coming out.
Looks like this, and the Ultra Adjust stands have slightly larger tubing (like the ATLAS stuff has) than the 8600 series.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Holly cow!

In person, The Armory looked like a $1600-2000 type of drum kit. .....

Maybe they look better in person. Nothing much special to them as far as I can see:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...ock-shell-pack
Old 01-29-2014, 11:15 PM
Administrator

In another thread they are saying that the Ludwig Signet got best in show for drums...
Old 01-29-2014, 11:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
After reviewing the seemingly slim pickings from NAMM this year, I'll venture an opinion that the revised Yamaha Stage Custom (birch) kits and the Crush Eminent Birch or Acrylic kits are the best quality-to-purchase options. These kits seem to have super solid quality at very affordable prices, and they all sound pretty darn good.
  • The Yamaha Absolute Hybrid Maple: far too overpriced, especially for its Chinese-made location/labor. $2,999.00 for the most basic 4 pc. kit? Really??
  • Tama, to my knowledge, has zero kits to offer--nothing in Starclassic range--and no new finishes, really, in the SC range. Only the 40th Anniversary snare line looks cool.
  • Pearl has the BCX kits, which are affordably priced around $1499, but a meager three finish options that each leave something to be desired (the bronze and silver glitter lacquer are eye-destroyingly bright).
  • The Mapex Armory line and the new bearing edges sound cool, but, again, the finishes are hideous or average/decent at best.

What do folks think? I'm really hard pressed to see anything that beats the Stage Customs or Crush Eminents/Acrylics, and of this grouping the new Stage Customs would seem to be the winner: they sound good, quality/hardware has been improved, finishes are pretty good, and drums sizes good and flexible (e.g., Crush Eminents offer no 18", I believe).
Sonor Prolite starts at that price; $2,999.99. I really dig the new Sonor finishes and the option of shallower kicks in pre-configured set. You get an SQ2 sounding kit, same build quality but at a great price point.

Ludwig did a great job I thought with the signet line. A US made drumset for under $800??!!

Meinl has a ton of great offerings to include great additions to their Jazz line that actually sound like the great old school Turkish Jazz cymbals. Also they are selling them at a price point bellow an equivalent Zildjian cymbal.
Session Work
Old 01-29-2014, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
In another thread they are saying that the Ludwig Signet got best in show for drums...
I think you missed where Les said "IMO" aka "In my opinion".
Old 01-29-2014, 11:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
I noticed that there wasn't really a "this years product" everyone was talking about.

The Signet from Ludwig had some talk, but other than that, not much seems to be going on other than some different edges or whatever (Mapex), some nice finishes.

The new Yamaha YESS with 4 holes is just dumb IMO. They should just go back to the mount on the drum. Their mount never inhibited the resonance when I played them back in the day.

Pearl's new snares seem real nice. New lugs and a new strainer.

http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa...id=683&cid=123
Very cool! I have been using their flat base gear for a while now and I love it. I still have not found a new flat base stand that I enjoy more than a real vintage hi hat stand but the Gibraltar and Ludwig offerings are not bad.

What is great about this design is it fixes the problem of tightening the snare basket when you have it sitting at near flat angle.
Session Work
Old 01-29-2014, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I think you missed where Les said "IMO" aka "In my opinion".
Oh. Oops, I did miss that. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Maybe they look better in person. Nothing much special to them as far as I can see:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...ock-shell-pack
Just saying, back in the late 80s/early 90's, such a kit with maple and birch shells would have cost closer to $2k.

The fact that they can spit it out for $829 is amazing (granted, it's all made in China).

In 1993, if you only had $829 to spend on a shall pack, you were getting a kit made of undisclosed wood with no suspension mounts, and no one talked about the bearing edge.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:31 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

I also didn't find anything that stood out much above anything else. Signet was new in concept, Tama had some nice but costly reissues, DW entered the direct drive pedal fray, Pear had some sweet new snares, and Sakae expanded their offerings, but nothing truly groundbreaking or amazing or "must-have" as far as I could see.

Lots of coool stuff for sure, but nothing in the "you HAVE to see this!" category.

Bermuda
Old 01-30-2014, 01:28 AM

I'd like to know more about the Premier XPK all birch kit for $799. They were blowing out Genista birch kits for $500-600 recently and I read about some issues with those.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneSFC View Post

Sonor Prolite starts at that price; $2,999.99...

Are the Prolites made in China? Just curious.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:42 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
No, they're made in Germany. Although I think the hardware (lugs, hoops, etc) may be sourced from China.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Made in Germany. Here are some being made at the factory.

I believe some of the hardware fittings are made in Germany and other metal parts are likely made in the far east. The shells though are 100% made in Germany.

Also the new SQ2 drums also will have the same vent badges the Prolites have that says made in Germany.
Session Work
Old 01-30-2014, 02:43 AM
Platinum Member

Sonor shells. Wonderful instruments,
I hope the blue sparkle they introduced at NAMM will be available soon.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming sort of person View Post
No, they're made in Germany. Although I think the hardware (lugs, hoops, etc) may be sourced from China.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneSFC View Post
Made in Germany. Here are some being made at the factory....

Thanks guys. The only reason I even mentioned it was because the Yamaha Hybrid discussion got me thinking about it.
Don't want to bug you guys, but could I ask where the Ascents are made. I saw one recently I really liked.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I also didn't find anything that stood out much above anything else. Signet was new in concept, Tama had some nice but costly reissues, DW entered the direct drive pedal fray, Pear had some sweet new snares, and Sakae expanded their offerings, but nothing truly groundbreaking or amazing or "must-have" as far as I could see.

Lots of coool stuff for sure, but nothing in the "you HAVE to see this!" category.

Bermuda
Bermuda: Regarding Sakae, do you mean the new lineup of snares? I didn't notice any expansion to the drum series--same old Celestial, Almighty, etc., series. Sakae has peaked my interest--quite a few Yamaha endorsers jumped ship to them after the Yamaha-Sakae split.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Don't want to bug you guys, but could I ask where the Ascents are made. I saw one recently I really liked.
The Ascents are made in China. As far as I know, the only kits made in Germany are SQ2, Pro-lites, those new special edition snares, the re-issue Phonic snares, etc. If you want good quality Sonor, it is German and will cost you--but that's the way they've always been, I think.

Interesting to note, though, the Absolute Maple Hybrids being near $3K. I'd easily go for a Pro-lite or even a Pearl Reference Pure, which cost the same. Yamaha goofed there.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
....Interesting to note, though, the Absolute Maple Hybrids being near $3K. I'd easily go for a Pro-lite or even a Pearl Reference Pure, which cost the same. Yamaha goofed there.

I play Stage Customs now, just for fun.
I haven't bought a more expensive kit since I was a kid. If I were to do so now, it would be Ludwig or Gretsch.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:36 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I'm really hard pressed to see anything that beats the Stage Customs or Crush Eminents/Acrylics
I mentioned it in another post already, but damn does that red acrylic kit look good! And now that they have a 20" bass config, it just makes me wish I had more than loose change.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:58 PM
Platinum Member

Doooohhh!

Im just sayin'

Someone got some splainin' to do

Attached Images

Old 01-30-2014, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

Ummmmmmm SONOR!

Hows that chocolate inner ply? Sweeet!

Take that SIGNET 105
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2014, 09:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Doooohhh!

Im just sayin'

It's an optical illusion. I chopped around on that image to do that ad and something probably got munched.. I can assure you that drum is in 100% round and everything is square where it needs to be.

Best Regards,
Bill Ray
http://billraydrums.com
Old 01-31-2014, 12:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillRayDrums View Post
It's an optical illusion. I chopped around on that image to do that ad and something probably got munched.. I can assure you that drum is in 100% round and everything is square where it needs to be.

We see those a lot, them pesky optical ammusings.

Quite a few drum photos getting chopped apparently.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Doooohhh!

Im just sayin'

Saw that pic and immediately thought of you, Les. :-)
Old 01-31-2014, 01:14 AM
Platinum Member

Bottom hoop larger diameter than top hoop - it's the new trend - ha ha.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:17 AM
Platinum Member

......yeah, post a pic of a new drum with unacceptable lug splay and Im probably going to cite you.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Bottom hoop larger diameter than top hoop - it's the new trend - ha ha.
Quote:
......yeah, post a pic of a new drum with unacceptable lug splay and Im probably going to cite you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillRayDrums View Post
Although there's a lot of drums out there with splay, I doubt this is one of them. The bottom hoop appearing bigger than the top hoop is the giveaway.

Bill, you got your camera too close to the drum. Modern point & shoot cameras have a kind of "fisheye" lens affect when too close to the piece. Better to back off a bit then enlarge/crop in processing later.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Although there's a lot of drums out there with splay, I doubt this is one of them. The bottom hoop appearing bigger than the top hoop is the giveaway.

Bill, you got your camera too close to the drum. Modern point & shoot cameras have a kind of "fisheye" lens affect when too close to the piece. Better to back off a bit then enlarge/crop in processing later.

Too be clear, he did get off with just a warning.

Yup watch those camera angles Bill, they could hurt you down the road. : )