DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 01-29-2014, 06:04 PM

Default Questions regarding custom ordering

Hey all,

First of all, i'd like to quickly introduce myself since i'm new to the forums! My name's Dan, i'm currently 18 and have been a drummer for about 5 years now. I mainly play a lot of rock type music, but also enjoy metal and have been digging into other drumming styles recently as well.

Anyway, I created this thread because I have decided that I want to custom order my own kit at some point this year and just wanted a place that I could ask all my randoms questions and hopefully have at least a few of them answered and maybe some advice given from those that may have already been through the process. I've owned 5 different kits since I started, and all of them have been used/pre-owned. For the most part I think i've figured out what I like and don't like and want to get a kit exactly to my specifications, but there are a few things i'm not completely sure about.

The kit in question is going to be a Tama Starclassic Performer B/B. I'm looking to get 8x10 and 8x12 rack toms, 14x14 and 14x16 floor toms and two 18x20 kick drums.

Basically, some of the things that have been floating around in my mind: A previous kit I owned had 8x10 and 9x12 rack toms and 12x14 and 14x16 floor toms. I like the look of drums with the same depths next to each other, but will one inch shorter on the seond rack and two deeper on the first floor tom make a huge difference and will it even sound alright? And as far as the bass drums, i've never used one smaller than 22, will the 20's have a good sound for playing louder and more energetic music? I'm thinking they'll be a little more punchy and have a little less of that low end "boom", for lack of a better term.
I'm also considering getting two octobans (I like to stay consistent with brands so i'm not interested in deccabans or any other similar drum), but i'm unsure of what sizes would sound best with the sizes i'm thinking about as i've never personally used octobans before.

Also, on the off-chance that anyone would be able to give me a rough estimate, how much do you think this kit would run me. I know it won't be cheap obviously, but i've never even bought a kit new so I don't know exactly how much to expect to drop.

Anyway, those are some of the things that i've been thinking about and I want to make sure i'm super informed and don't blindly order a kit without knowing what i'm doing. I definitely appreciate any help you guys can give me!
Old 01-29-2014, 07:21 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Questions regarding custom ordering

Drums that have the same ratio (diameter/width) will tend to have a similar tonality. Drums that don't won't. It's not that one is better than the other, but if you're going for a super consistent thing, I would opt for either 10" x 8" and 12" x 9", or 10" x 7" and 12" x 8". With the floors, same thing. Either get both square, or 14" x 12" and 16" x 14".

With the bass drums, 20" is a great size, but I would suggest sticking with 22" unless you're very small in stature.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Questions regarding custom ordering

There's a Tama BB kit at Long Island Drun Center right now,with a matching snare for 2500.but the bass drum is 22,not 20.

Secondy,are you just going to order a kit,witout listening to it first?That's a lot of coin to drop,on something you haven't listen to.I love Tama drums,but I'm also a Ludwig guy,so why not give their USA made drums a listen.And even the Gretsch USA customs and Brooklyn lines?Or even Mapex Saturns(I can hear you smiling Andy),which are great drums

They're are all within that price range,so why limit your options.Go play some drums man.:):)

Steve B