DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-21-2014, 11:16 PM

Default Carmichael or Soundseat?

Trying to decide between these 2 thrones. I have my heart set on the carmichael since it seems to be what I need. Any opinions?
Old 01-21-2014, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Carmichael or Soundseat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparker2005 View Post
Trying to decide between these 2 thrones. I have my heart set on the carmichael since it seems to be what I need. Any opinions?
The Carmichael is obviously superior to my eyes. Not saying that the SoundSeat isn't a good throne, but most of the folks on here with the Carmichael swear by it- and though I don't own one, I think it's a fantastic product (I'm going to buy just the seat eventually & put it on my current Tama base). The SoundSeat looks like an 'average' throne- high-end, but not anything special. Plus, their website has some pretty blatant hyperbole & dishonesty going on ("All other thrones...").
Old 01-22-2014, 01:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Dude you've got to get your tailbone in the groove, any piece of foam is not going to do.

SS says the foam will not bottom out, but your tailbone will bottom out/compress on the foam. I don't see the point with S SEAT.
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2014, 04:22 AM

I'm definitely going with Carmichael. It's what I had my heart set on. I keep trying to decide if the Hydraulic throne top will fit my Tama Hydraulix Ergo Rider Throne Base. Based on someone having one on this site, this is what they sent. My Tama hydraulic base is right at 1 inch, maybe a hair less. Based on this response, the Carmichael should fit correct?

I just checked the Carmichael top and base - the top mount can fit a diameter of up to 28 mm (1 1/10th inch).
The base is slightly less in diameter, by around 1.5 mm.
The top mount can be tightened/locked (by some 2 mm) to fit a bass of smaller diameter.
So the Carmichael should work with any base having a diameter of 26-28 mm.
Even less diameter would work but then you'd have to use some additional material, filling up the 'gap'.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:07 AM
Platinum Member

Hopefully it should! I know that Tama and the Carmichael's spindle throne bases are the same at least- both 7/8".
Old 01-22-2014, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

I've had my Charmichael seat top for a while now (since Aug 2013), and it's the best seat I've ever had.
I have the 15" size. Very comfortable for long rehearsals, and it's very sturdy covering too. The foam has not "squished" at all.
I've even had several seats in just the last few years, all well made, but, they were not comfortable in one way or another after a period of time. You first sit down and it's fine, but after 1/2 an hour...

I felt greater freedom of motion pretty much instantly compared to my other seats.
Not feeling fatigued (or sore) after a show or rehearsal is really great too, but having it feel easier to just play was kind of eye opening.

I've seen/sat on another seat that was split, with a cycle style seat, and it didn't feel anywhere close to as good as the Charmichael. It felt cheap (and looked it too).
Old 01-23-2014, 03:20 AM

I'm nervous about it not fitting and am almost tempted to order an entirely new throne. I'm gonna take a chance though. Surely it'll fit if the spindle are the same. If not I'll just return the Hydraulic top and go with a manual Carmichael.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm nervous about it not fitting and am almost tempted to order an entirely new throne. I'm gonna take a chance though. Surely it'll fit if the spindle are the same. If not I'll just return the Hydraulic top and go with a manual Carmichael.
7/8 OD, measure

My Tama hydraulic base is right at 1 inch, maybe a hair less. Based on this response, the Carmichael should fit correct?

I just checked the Carmichael top and base - the top mount can fit a diameter of up to 28 mm (1 1/10th inch).
The base is slightly less in diameter, by around 1.5 mm.
The top mount can be tightened/locked (by some 2 mm) to fit a bass of smaller diameter.
So the Carmichael should work with any base having a diameter of 26-28 mm.
Even less diameter would work but then you'd have to use some additional material, filling up the 'gap'.

CARMICHAEL uses ROC N SOC base plates, if the ROC N SOC fits TAMA you're good, don't think so tho, TAMA is 1" right?
Old 01-23-2014, 02:17 PM

Now begs the question should I go with a solid or nitro base? I love and have had no problems with my tama Hydraulic, but would a solid seat be too stiff? I've heard both are better for you.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:06 AM

Found that samash had a fit any Hydraulic top with 1" nitro base. Ordered it!