DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-23-2014, 10:16 AM

Default Third party bass drum hardware.

SUP.

First post.

I bought a seven piece Crush Acrylic kit at the end of last summer. The construction the shells is spot on. I'm in love with the toms; they're loud and punchy, with a warmth not usually found in acrylic kits. I've been experimenting with the snare, and I think I've found the head combination that's gonna work.

I'm not satisfied with the bass drums, though. I've gotten them to sound good and playing well, but it's such a pain the neck getting them to that point.

The tension rods and lugs are just not cutting it. While I'm tuning them, tension rods are constantly slipping out of tune, and I've tried doing three half turns with the key to prevent this. Nothing works. I just have to keep going around and around the drum to get them to the point where they won't slip out, THEN I can tune. I've never encountered this problem with any other bass drum I've had.

I've also had some issues with the snare drum rods and lugs, as well. A couple of the lugs locked up recently. I couldn't even get the tension rods to catch and start entering the lug. To Crush's credit, their customer service is excellent. I sent an email with my issue and the mailed me some new lugs and rods pretty much overnight.

I dropped a good amount of money on this kit, and I want to make good on my investment. I've been throwing around the idea of getting different hardware for my bass drums, and maybe even my snare drum, as well.

Problem is, I have no clue as to what companies make good tension rods and lugs for sale. As far as I know, the major companies don't really sell sets of their hardware. I'm guessing I'll have to go with a "third party" company, one that specifically makes lugs and rods.

What companies are out there? Which ones are good? Does anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Third party bass drum hardware.

Does anyone have advice or help they could give me?
Old 01-24-2014, 11:07 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Third party bass drum hardware.

http://tightscrew.com
That will fix your "loosening up rods" issues.