DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-15-2014, 02:45 PM
JD7's Avatar
JD7 JD7 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 56
Default Remo Vintage A - inconsistencies?

I have an old Ludwig kit with Vintage Ambassadors on it and have loved them for a few years. Recently the 13" sounded too boingy and I decided it was time to replace the head. I bought a new Vintage A and did the tap test when I pulled it out of the package. I was surprised to hear how muted and thuddy it was - more like a pinstripe than an Amb. To compare, I tapped the old 13" Vintage A I just removed, and it had significantly more resonance.

So whats the deal? a fluke? a head that hasn't been properly broken in yet? or did the change the formula?

The older Vintage Amb had been on that drum for years, so I can't rule out some type of extensive break-in.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-15-2014, 04:07 PM
drummerjims's Avatar
drummerjims drummerjims is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: US
Posts: 263
Default Re: Remo Vintage A - inconsistencies?

I just bought a vintage A for my snare, I didn't like it on a snare but love it on my floor tom. However when I pulled it out and did the tap test it sounded thuddy as well. Someone on this forum did mention to me that it is actually a 2 ply head. Just from experience every 2 ply head I have had always sounded thuddy with a tap test. Maybe they have changed the formula or maybe it is because it has been super broken in.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-15-2014, 04:11 PM
JD7's Avatar
JD7 JD7 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 56
Default Re: Remo Vintage A - inconsistencies?

yeah its 2 ply but my last one (from when they were recently introduced) was so much more open. Weird. I'll get used to it. Its probably good for a boomy room at least.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-15-2014, 06:16 PM
wsabol's Avatar
wsabol wsabol is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,394
Default Re: Remo Vintage A - inconsistencies?

My first thought is that since the old head is stretched out and broken in, it'll naturally sound more lively in the tap test. But that's just a hypothesis.

And yea, Vintage A's are 2 ply.. The top ply is a diplomat weight (7.5 mil), and the bottom ply is a ambassador SS weight (3 mil).
__________________
"Lay the backbeat home."
-Donny Hathaway
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-16-2014, 05:33 AM
porter's Avatar
porter porter is online now
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,581
Default Re: Remo Vintage A - inconsistencies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerjims View Post
I just bought a vintage A for my snare, I didn't like it on a snare but love it on my floor tom. However when I pulled it out and did the tap test it sounded thuddy as well. Someone on this forum did mention to me that it is actually a 2 ply head. Just from experience every 2 ply head I have had always sounded thuddy with a tap test. Maybe they have changed the formula or maybe it is because it has been super broken in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsabol View Post
My first thought is that since the old head is stretched out and broken in, it'll naturally sound more lively in the tap test. But that's just a hypothesis.

And yea, Vintage A's are 2 ply.. The top ply is a diplomat weight (7.5 mil), and the bottom ply is a ambassador SS weight (3 mil).
I think that's accurate. FWIW, the new Vintage As I installed on the school kit sound totally fine & pretty consistent with the previous ones that were on there. I think you probably have nothing to worry about.

And yes, 2-ply heads tend to not be great in tap tests. The second ply is basically a unique form of muffling, though on these very thin heads, the effect is of course minimalized. I think the Vintage As are based on the original Ambassadors which were a 2-ply combination of the 7 and 3mil Mylar films due to those being the only available thicknesses (IIRC). They sound fantastic :)

I find that Ambassador Xs (or G12s) are similar, at least on snare. Perhaps try some of those as tom heads too, sometime?
__________________
Check out my Youtube channel!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-16-2014, 01:22 PM
JD7's Avatar
JD7 JD7 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 56
Default Re: Remo Vintage A - inconsistencies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter View Post
I think that's accurate. FWIW, the new Vintage As I installed on the school kit sound totally fine & pretty consistent with the previous ones that were on there. I think you probably have nothing to worry about.

And yes, 2-ply heads tend to not be great in tap tests. The second ply is basically a unique form of muffling, though on these very thin heads, the effect is of course minimalized. I think the Vintage As are based on the original Ambassadors which were a 2-ply combination of the 7 and 3mil Mylar films due to those being the only available thicknesses (IIRC). They sound fantastic :)

I find that Ambassador Xs (or G12s) are similar, at least on snare. Perhaps try some of those as tom heads too, sometime?
I am shying away from trying something new on this set because I really loved the sound of my old set of Vintage A's until quite recently when the 13" went sour. Last night I tuned the head up significantly and was somewhat pleased. Then I tuned the reso up (a normal coated amb) and the drum sings again. I played a fill that I have played on a recording recently (using it as a mental benchmark) and it sounds very similar, so I'm happy. Only time will tell, but I think this is a head that requires avsignificant break-in period.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-16-2014, 02:23 PM
AudioWonderland AudioWonderland is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 449
Default Re: Remo Vintage A - inconsistencies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD7 View Post
I have an old Ludwig kit with Vintage Ambassadors on it and have loved them for a few years. Recently the 13" sounded too boingy and I decided it was time to replace the head. I bought a new Vintage A and did the tap test when I pulled it out of the package. I was surprised to hear how muted and thuddy it was - more like a pinstripe than an Amb. To compare, I tapped the old 13" Vintage A I just removed, and it had significantly more resonance.

So whats the deal? a fluke? a head that hasn't been properly broken in yet? or did the change the formula?

The older Vintage Amb had been on that drum for years, so I can't rule out some type of extensive break-in.
I had this issue a few years back when I bought a set for my CXR kit. The 12" was ok. The 14/16" heads were just dead. i took them off the kit and found the bottom ply of both heads was wavy, not flush with the other ply. I thought the 12" sounded amazing but I couldn't have those kinds of issues so I went back to the regular coated ambassador
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com