DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-14-2014, 08:29 PM

Default RE: tractor seat or round

Throne?

I have had a very nice tractor style throne for the past 4 years or so and I cannot bond with it!?!

I'm constantly adjusting/turning the location of the "horn" or "tongue" part of the seat; don't get me wrong, it stays put, but I don't like having that impediment there; my carcass wants to shift around a little and the horn prevents it. I constantly feel like I'm not comfortable and that the larger seat style is going too far underneath my thigh and inhibiting freedom of motion.

Not to mention the seat takes up more volumetric space in the cockpit area of the kit making it more difficult to get in and out and to move in that space...I'm done with it

Last night I gave up and ordered a new pearl d930 round seat style throne.

What is your preference?
Old 01-14-2014, 08:47 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Tractor Seat or Round Style

One of my earliest work opportunities was in the 1950's, driving an Allis Chalmers WD tractor with a 2 bottom plow (plough) behind it. I guess you know my answer!

Last edited by groove1; 01-14-2014 at 08:53 PM. Reason: word
Old 01-14-2014, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

I've always felt more comfortable with the round ones myself...
Old 01-14-2014, 11:32 PM
Gold Member

I use a tractor style seat now, and I'm happy with it.

I don't find the round ones uncomfortable either, its just what I'm used to. The tractor style seats are the boom when they have a back as well.

I might be switching to the round style on my next throne. You can really only sit on the tractor seat one way, so the cushion gets old a lot sooner than a round one would - but that advantage is negated if I'll continue to use the back rest... Space is also an issue, with the back rest and the tractor seat..
Old 01-14-2014, 11:35 PM
Silver Member

always a tractor guy...love the way my ass just mooshes right into it, no round edges to deal with.

F
Old 01-14-2014, 11:39 PM
Platinum Member

I own both. I actually prefer the round style. I have a Roc-nSoc round and a Gibraltar tractor.
I also have a Tama First Chair that has kind of a narrow bench seat that I really like.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member

I've always only used round, so I can't really compare.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:48 PM
Administrator

Checked out a tractor seat only briefly (at Florian Alexandru-Zorn's basement studio) - was ok but felt hard in comparison to my new Carmichael CT-200 round throne (small/13'' version). I think I made the right decision (already forgot about the price, haha).
Old 01-15-2014, 12:11 AM
Silver Member

Three of my thrones are tractor style and one is round .I have no issue with round thrones, used them for 30 years or so. I just prefer the tractor style.

The tractor style thrones I own in order of preference
Roc N Soc nitro
Tama First chair wide rider with back rest
Ludwig with backrest

Round throne
Yamaha single braced base.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:52 AM

Round...

My old "brown" Tama Titan throne is still going strong. I like it so much I bought a second one on the 'bay for a spare. I'd probably buy a third if the deal was right. I am a huge fan of the older Tama hardware.

Tried a Tama first chair "tractor style" and felt like the OP-constricted in all the wrong places. I just gave it to my nephew who is too excited to have a good throne he probably doesn't care what shape seat it has.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:19 AM
Platinum Member

I have both. A tractor style on the kit, and a round one upstairs on the practice kit/pad.

I prefer the tractor style as I like a cutout for my legs, so I feel like I have a little more mobility.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:51 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I like the tractor seat because I feel like I'm farming.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I like the tractor seat because I feel like I'm farming.
Once again, I love this forum.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:03 AM

I prefer round, I tend to move around a lot in the seat and I just find it more comfortable.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:29 AM
Silver Member

I've had a Pork Pie trac.around 1yr. I like it a lot. I still have the round Tama Titan. It's a little lumpy now. Bought it in 1980. I did put a wool looking cover on it. I use it with the practice pads. and my guitarist sits on it. I preferr the PP
Old 01-15-2014, 05:57 AM
Platinum Member

I prefer round. I have a Roc n Soc round, a Roc n Soc tractor, a DW round, and a Kaman "square" stool. The Roc n Soc round is the most comfortable of them all for drumming, the Kaman "square" stool is the only one tall enough for playing timpani, the Roc n Soc tractor is nitro and has a back so I use it for long recording/mixing sessions, and the DW round is leather so I let students use it on my teaching kit (seriously...a couple of kids have had rancid gas and stunk out my previous Roc n Soc throne in my teaching studio...never again!)

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 01-15-2014, 06:06 AM
Platinum Member

The thing I don't about my tractor throne is that you have to sit on it the right way. With a round throne you can fall on any part of it and it's okay.

I just switched to a round throne and I do see that it's good to have the cutouts for your thighs to move up and down but it's all very subtle.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:16 AM

I can go either way so long as it is comfortable. I finally retired my 34-year-old hydraulic round Samson throne because the foam was wafer thin. I ended up going with a Ford Smart Ass tractor throne. The Swedish memory foam used on the Smart Ass is nothing short of awesome. Best thing I ever did for my back! I would never go back to using a hydraulic stand ever again though. Be good to your back. Things like back pain have a way of catching up with you later in life when you least expect it.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:19 PM

I have never sat on a round throne that was comfortable. Not saying they don't make them but everyone I have ever sat on as only had 1/2" of padding. I have a roc n sock tractor nitro throne. I love the seat but I hate bouncing around. I have hated it for the past 10 years and for some reason I have never replaced it. I should probably do that.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:51 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
I prefer round. I have a Roc n Soc round, a Roc n Soc tractor, a DW round, and a Kaman "square" stool. The Roc n Soc round is the most comfortable of them all for drumming, the Kaman "square" stool is the only one tall enough for playing timpani, the Roc n Soc tractor is nitro and has a back so I use it for long recording/mixing sessions, and the DW round is leather so I let students use it on my teaching kit (seriously...a couple of kids have had rancid gas and stunk out my previous Roc n Soc throne in my teaching studio...never again!)
Did you try spraying it with febreeze or bouncing on it until all the gas was released?

Did you have to throw it away?
Old 01-15-2014, 06:03 PM

Default Re: tractor seat or round

Well, this is what I ended up with and it will arrive today so I'm looking forward to using it and I will mention my thoughts on it here.

Pockets...I have thought that if I could find a way to harness my energy source (rear fired methane) store it and sell it I would be rich. My current throne that I'm replacing is a soft cover and it has been impregnated with years of my scented offerings...but it has not seemed to retain any residual odor.

I have not got up close and personal to see what is happening in the immediate sphere of seat operations, but at least in the drum area there is nothing offensive happening :-)

Question: Do the drum/throne developers test for scent retention? Is that design parameter? I wonder :-)
Old 01-15-2014, 06:15 PM

I've been liken this keyboard seat, plenty of support from side to side, for when both feet are in the air,easy to sit forward or back depending on what I like at the moment. and it was less expensive than a drum throne.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/lifes...usicians-stool
Old 01-15-2014, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

I prefer round...they always sit the same. Don't like scrambling the eggs...lol

Bonzolead
Old 01-15-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Old School View Post
... I ended up going with a Ford Smart Ass tractor throne.......
I think this is a good moment to take 2 minutes and raise the glass to the American trademark inventors. Smart Ass! Oh man, I can't tell you how much the French envy you for those brilliant trade names. Once you heard it you never forget. We just don't have the guts to come up with that. Merde... :)

Sorry for the rant :)
Old 01-16-2014, 01:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picodon View Post
I think this is a good moment to take 2 minutes and raise the glass to the American trademark inventors. Smart Ass! Oh man, I can't tell you how much the French envy you for those brilliant trade names. Once you heard it you never forget. We just don't have the guts to come up with that. Merde... :)
Are you trying to be funny? Haha :)

This one's mine. I couldn't get it high enough, so I tweaked the legs inward a bit to get a few more inches. Comfy, but I wouldn't mind changing to something with springs. Why? I have no idea, I like the idea of better upholstery for my derriere.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:06 AM

Here's a few shots of my Ford Smart Ass throne. It has an optional back rest, which I rarely use for playing drums, but I do use often when recording on location. It's mounted on a Gibraltar short throne base. I could have easily gone for a round throne, but was ready to try something different.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2014, 10:25 PM

I had a shitty round Mapex throne that actually snapped in half (I'm not a big guy at all either) and recently went through the round vs. tractor decision process. I should have taken pictures of it but didn't think to. Was kind of hilarious as it happened while I was practicing and I fell off, very nearly having my anus impaled by the metal rod that had snapped.

Anyway, I'm average height and pretty light weight and found that the tractor style definitely suited me more. Round felt constrictive and didn't contour to me the way the tractor style did. I sat on a fancy looking round Pork Pie at Guitar Center but it was extremely uncomfortable and I felt like I was off balance the entire time sitting on it. Could have been defective though. To be fair, the entire selection there was pretty poor though.

Felt good about the Tama Ergo Rider but went to West to check out the Roc N Soc that gets so much praise. Was stiff and uncomfortable and the hydraulics didn't do anything for me either so it was a pretty easy call.

Advice: DON'T just buy one online. Get your ass in a store and sit on them. I was ready to buy a Roc N Soc after seeing all the positive reviews but if I had, I surely would have returned it because it wasn't a great seat for me. YMMV.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:37 AM
Silver Member

Tama Ergo Rider. Sort of a cross. Not a true tractor style but definitely not round. Works for me.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:05 AM
Platinum Member

Most bicycle/tractor thrones can be used both ways.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2014, 12:06 AM

[quote=Les Ismore;1243152]Most bicycle/tractor thrones can be used both ways.[/QUOTE

not roc n soc moto/bicycle as it has a weird lip thing in the back.
For the smelly seat have you tried spraying fabreeze on the seats? the commercials claim that stuff will remove the smells out of the nastiest things.