DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > DrummerWorld Site News

DrummerWorld Site News What's New at DrummerWorld

Old 08-12-2012, 05:07 AM

Default Re: Trad Grip Group!

i started with traditional grip because i felt that would make me a better player in the long run, because it was proper... however i have found that there are some things that trad grip actually inhibits when i am playing... after i "discovered" Ian Paice i decided it was time to go matched grip... i feel that for rock and whatever genre that requires the use of the whole kit, matched allows you to reach more comfortable and more naturally... i feel that for me, the mechanics of matched grip work better, sorry
Old 09-03-2012, 09:29 AM

It looks cool.

I tend to use traditional when I play soft jazz. It adds some extra sensitivity to my snare playing.

I can only dream of playing traditional in a rock setting, though. I can't whip my left hand fast or hard enough.... lol

Gretsch, Tama, Paiste
My drum cover of Changes by Yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NRCo2P0d60
Old 09-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Pioneer Member

When I learned Moeller, my friend/teacher used traditional grip, and I just did what he did. I stuck with it for several years, and then about a year ago I went to matched. It's still easier to play specific things with traditional grip, but eventually I'll be able to do everything matched. I think matched is superior and more practical on a drumkit, but you need to make your own decision.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:16 PM

This is my first post on the board.
I was primarily self taught. My version of trad grip was all wrong because I was putting a "death grip" on the stick. When I finally started lessons and learned about rebound I loosened up my grip. Today I use trad grip 90% of the time. I can use it for rock and jazz.
If I need to play loud and with more volume I used matched grip and the butt end of the stick.
When I see jazz drummers or people demonstrating rudiments using matched grip I don't think it looks right at all. So used to seeing Morello, Rich, Krupa, Bellson, Philly Joe, Tony Williams, and Elvin play trad, anything else just looks weird to me. I say, do your own thing but traditional grip looks best.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Pioneer Member

I joined the group, but honestly, for the past year I've been trying my hardest to get rid of the grip. I don't think it's ever going to happen. But now I've been playing 90% matched. I got a handful of lessons several years ago and I learned the Moeller technique. I just followed my teacher who happened to play traditional.

So after a year of matched grip, I'm still 2x as fast with my left hand in traditional grip. I have more power with matched.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:06 PM

I discovered that a former student of Buddy Rich was living not far from me.
After sharing a few emails with him he let me in on a few "inside" stories about Buddy.
Buddy never believed in Moeller and did not use Moeller in his playing.
If you watch enough video's of him you will see that this is true.
His arms, wrists and fingers were so well developed he didn't need Moeller.
You will rarely (if ever) see Buddy using that whipping motion.
I still think Moeller is effective, but maybe not for everyone.
There is always an exception to the rule.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:24 PM

im sitting at school at IT class and i am practicing my trad grip, untill now played only matched, wanna learn both though. Fu.. yeah.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:55 PM

I was taught traditional and really did not even know about matched for years. I was very fortunate to have an excellent drum teacher who was a jazz drummer from New Orleans. This was in 1963 when I was 5. He was probably in his 60s. I am just reviving my drumming after decades and decided to try to become somewhat capable with matched grip just to give myself the option.

I agree with those that say the traditional grip really gives you finess and sensitivity on the snare. I have pleasently found myself dropping in ghost notes in ways I never did before. Probably a result of a less cluttered approach to playing after years of absence. I am trying to regain my skills slowly and based on solid rudiment practice. Since I last played this new thing called the internet has made that much easier!
Old 10-27-2012, 07:57 PM

I started on snare with the school band when I was 11. The teacher, bless her, did not have much guidance for drummers ... and I was taught matched grip.

A bit later, I started seeing videos of drummers (no youtube in the early 80's!), two of my faves at the time - John Densmore and Stewart Copeland - played trad. As I "discovered" all the great jazz guys a few years later, I noticed they played trad too. hhhmmm .... In the early teen brain, this was rationalized as ALL good drummers played trad ... and I switched. lol I remember the frustration at the time of re-learning rudiments, buzz rolls, etc. with the trad grip.

Interesting story about Buddy - I didn't know he had students. Man, to have a one on one lesson (or share a cold beverage and chat) with him. I heard Joe Ascione was his drum tech and he evidently learned lots from Buddy ... but I didn't think he was a student?

Cheerio,
radman

** edit/correction: I didn't mean to insinuate I was taught matched as a lesser grip due to the teacher's ignorance. That sort of can across incorrectly. I don't think she knew much of any kind of grip - I picked the sticks up with a matched grip and was off! **

Last edited by Bernhard; 02-20-2013 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Edited by Arky: merging consecutive posts
Old 10-30-2012, 04:59 AM

I signed up for drums for the orchestra when I was about 9 and trad grip was what I was taught. It's the only way for me period, since that early learning. I soon left drumming for the clarinet, but that's another story. ;)
Old 11-18-2012, 08:41 PM

I started off matched grip but switching grips has improved my drumming a lot, i would never go back and now am a traditional grip endorser. I switched grips cause i kept injuring my left pointing finger and haven't ever since (my right instead).
Old 11-20-2012, 03:39 AM

I am completely self taught. I only used matched but after seeing Buddy Rich play, I remember going to bed that night and taping my pinky and ring fingers down. I got really good at it in 4 weeks. Often wonder where that kind of determination to learn something has gone. Guess you don't care quite as much when you get older.

Trad feels so much better and natural when you are playing loose music like jazz, swing, or in my case alt country. Rock, country, R&B, and gospel feels better matched, just my opinion.

Last edited by Seasonedpro; 11-20-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasonedpro View Post
Trad feels so much better and natural when you are playing loose music like jazz, swing, or in my case alt country. Rock, country, R&B, and gospel feels better matched, just my opinion.
Amen to that, i feel as though i reinvented my drumming from the day i started traditional grip and have gotten wings that can take me way higher. Sometimes i go back to try matched grip for a moment and it feels totally clumps now.

I've noted that Buddy Rich used matched grip when he's soloing on the toms, which i think is quite common in jazz.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:39 AM

My Dad also used to say when I was growing up that Trad Grip drumming was the only way to go. Unfortunately it stuck with me 20 years later. Not that I think it is the only way, I just got stuck in trad grip mode.

Name:  176693_240477309412292_985136009_o.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  84.1 KB
Old 01-20-2013, 09:58 PM

I find trad to be the most comfortable way of holding a stick.
plus i never throw the stick away when playing heavy backbeats
Old 01-30-2013, 07:21 PM

When I first started drumming, I was taught to use the traditional grip. So I've always been really comfortable with it. However, I do switch to match grip if I want to move around the kit more quickly, especially when I'm playing the floor toms to my right.

I'm very comfortable with both grips though, and I alternate between the two constantly.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

I played Matched for over 30 years and switched to playing everything traditional around six years ago. I have no problem playing Rock and Jazz. I do get some looks and questions about traditional at my rock gigs!

Traditional just feels better and i've found that now trying to play some stuff matched is really uncomfortable.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafkapenguin View Post
I signed up for drums for the orchestra when I was about 9 and trad grip was what I was taught. It's the only way for me period, since that early learning. I soon left drumming for the clarinet, but that's another story. ;)
same here - except for the clarinet part
Old 02-24-2013, 04:18 AM
Platinum Member

For everyone's enjoyment.

http://youtu.be/UJJyRSZKGkA
Old 10-12-2013, 07:45 PM

This controversy has gone on so long, I have had lots of turmoil about this....when I started playing, I started with matched grip, then when I started taking lessons, I was taught traditional grip, Playing in jr. high, then high school bands traditional grip was mandatory. In'66 '67 '68, most of my heroes played traditional grip. Then in the '70s the bands I was listening to, more and more were using matched grip. I found, that for loud rock, matched grip worked better...now, as a drum teacher, I start my students out with matched grip, both hands the same, better for getting an even sound, then as they advance, then I introduce traditional grip. I feel that they both have their advantages, and disadvantages, so both in teaching and playing, both live and in studio, I use the grip that best suits the style of song that I'm playing....One is not better than the other, they are just different! In closing, I think drummers should learn both grips, to be better suited for more all around playing!

Last edited by Portland Percussion; 10-12-2013 at 07:47 PM. Reason: need a P.S.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:39 AM

I'm in! I learned traditional grip in high school marching band and used it through university marching band, drum corps, and indoor percussion, and incorporated it into my set playing. Never really looked back. I don't have as much volume power as matched, but way more finesse and control than matched.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post

lol I forgot about that video.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:29 AM

You want your palm to be almost perpendicular to the playing position (90 degrees).
Old 12-30-2013, 02:42 PM
Silver Member

Hmm...

Recently been trying to learn trad grip and it's coming along.

Two things...

(i) After playing for a while it begins to make the bones in my finger next to my pinky ache. Perhaps I'm holding the sticks too tight??

(ii) I find it practically impossible to strike cymbals with my trad hand (left). Literally I just cannot seem to do it. Is this normal? Something I just need to hone and work on.

Generally I find it pretty comfortable for the often very fast, snare orientated, punk beats I play in the originals band I'm in.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:38 AM
Silver Member

This was also posted to the group (I also joined)

I made this video about 6 years ago; it was to help a friend of mine out on a Forum and got over 35,000 views (that was a surprise).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLOsohq89ZU

I come from the Scottish Pipe & Drum band school of thought in regards to traditional grip; the thumb is the real "power player" in that variation. I found the "Duthart Grip" (Alex Duthart, Scottish Drumming Innovator) able to open up the range of motion for me.

Alex Duthart Info http://www.rspba.org/html/assochistory.php
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE2Q6YTmUrg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_krvdvAKz0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkLFeW-n4dY

Best Regards,
Bill Ray
http://billraydrums.com

Last edited by BillRayDrums; 01-11-2014 at 02:46 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 03-09-2014, 03:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post

Beautiful. Great humor
Old 04-18-2014, 05:38 AM

[quote=SquadLeader;1213446]Hmm...

(ii) I find it practically impossible to strike cymbals with my trad hand (left). Literally I just cannot seem to do it. Is this normal? Something I just need to hone and work on.
END QUOTE

if you don't mind a bit of flair, you can spin the stick to a better position.
try this.
keep the stick between your ring finger and your social finger
open your hand so that the stick can move past your thumb.
turn your hand over.

you should end up with the stick sticking from between your fingers, like Wolverine. try it out. its a very fun way to switch from snare to a nearby crash with just a flick.
mastery of the drum set=traditional grip
Old 04-24-2014, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadLeader View Post
Hmm...

Recently been trying to learn trad grip and it's coming along.

Two things...

(i) After playing for a while it begins to make the bones in my finger next to my pinky ache. Perhaps I'm holding the sticks too tight??

Generally I find it pretty comfortable for the often very fast, snare orientated, punk beats I play in the originals band I'm in.
I would try Youtube videos of Buddy and some of the other greats to see how they crashed with the traditional left hand. Cymbal placement would be the first step. Height and angle would have to change and you would have to clear the hihats, but do some looking around.,
Old 04-24-2014, 08:14 PM
Silver Member

Pretty much every teacher I've had has commented on the fact that I play traditional and want me to switch.

They also say I'm dong it wrong, though they all seem to have almost completely opposite opinions on why it's wrong. Obviously, they're all strictly matched players, so.......

Thing is though, I can do anything I want with it and apart from some stress around my picky bone several years ago when I was first starting out I've never had a problem. A slight adjustrment inspired by Jim Chapins DVD fixed everything.

I feel loose and relaxed and can easily play with all the speed and power I want all day.

I just love how it feels sitting behind the kit and groove when I play traditional.

Matched works ok too. That's what I do when I teach. There's just something about Mar... ehm... traditional, though.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:51 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadLeader View Post

it is most comfortable to me when I crash like this

EDIT: no idea why it is coming up sideways... it was not like that when I uploaded it ....

so taco neck and you get the idea :)