DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 01-05-2014, 11:06 AM
sonnygrabber's Avatar
sonnygrabber sonnygrabber is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: As far away as is possible.
Posts: 465
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Mary, I really like your singing and I encourage you to continue with it, as you do with your drumming. Making music, no matter how you do it, is a very special gift/opportunity. And your gift seems to be pretty generous! :)

I just want to say here, (because I don't know where else to say it), that I am dismayed at the banning of shemp. He and I had a couple of disagreements throughout this forum but I always valued and paid attention to his comments. Whether we agree with someone or not is irrelevant to the the idea that they are experiencing this world alongside us as drummers, and his comments IMO were mostly valid and thoughtful/thought provoking. I, for one, am very sad to see him banned.
__________________
It's better to sit in silence and be thought a fool, than open ones mouth and remove all doubt..
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-05-2014, 11:40 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,326
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Sorry Mary, I missed this thread (kinda busy, so forum speed scanning TBH), but yet again, I'm really pleased with your singing. Of course (& I really get this), there's a hesitancy in your performance confidence, but that will come with time & mileage. You have the pipes - no doubt about that. That's one hell of a foundation to move forward from, especially your range of pleasing tones, something you can't really fake. Nice job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnygrabber View Post
I just want to say here, (because I don't know where else to say it),
Sorry, I'm in the same boat here. I'm not going to go into rambling detail, save to say that I have mixed feelings about this, some of which Arky has already eluded to. That said, coming onto this thread to suggest (no matter how well worded) Mary posted her singing purely as an ego stroking exercise, is plain disrespectful of someone else's feelings, especially someone who's probably (please forgive me here Mary) not yet confident in her performance. That's insensitive, to say the least, & Shemp is intelligent enough to work that out for himself.

This place shouldn't wrap people in cotton wool though, & counter opinion should always have a place here, without fear of vilification. You would think, on the surface, I would be pleased that Shemp is gone. You'd be wrong. I supported the validity of his opinion on my thread that Arky refers to. My reaction was due to cumulative opinions expressed, not just Shemp's, as I assume Arky's post implies.

Ultimately, displeasure at Shemp's post (re: Mary's motives for posting) was posted by members, Grunt issued a "reminder" post, Shemp reacted negatively to that, & requested his account be terminated. It's done, & all round, a disappointing episode on every level.
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-05-2014, 01:17 PM
MaryO's Avatar
MaryO MaryO is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,904
Default Re: Another singing vid...

So I feel that I need to make one final comment here on the Shemp issue to address Arky's comments.

My initial plan was to ignore him and if you go back and look at the thread, I did at first. After others had made comments and he came back still questioning my motives is when I chimed in. Even then, what I asked of him was to ignore my posts if he had nothing constructive to say. While I did call him a troll (which I still feel he was) I never asked him to leave or to be banned entirely from this site. That was his own choosing after being duly warned by a moderator.

I really do believe in allowing people to express their opinions, even if they are against me. I'm a big big girl and can take it. What I can't take is someone coming in and saying things just to stir things up which I believe was often Shemp's intent. Nobody needs that.

And just to clarify on why I posted this here in the first place, it was to get a little insight on my strengths and weaknesses in singing. This is something I've been trying for all of 2 months and I felt safe coming here. I did not do it for "warm fuzzies" but for constructive comment.b if you would have said I didn't have what it takes, I would have understood because I know you would have been honest and kind about it. Shemp's comments offered nothing in the way of criticism of my singing, good or bad, they were just snarky, in my opinion.

In the end, I am sorry that anyone was banned or more appropriately said, left because of this thread or anything I said. However, I do feel it was something he brought on himself and if he had chosen to stay would have only gotten worse with time. Just my opinion. Again, I apologize for causing such an uproar.

Mary
__________________
I am deluded enough to think I can bring something to the table - Huey Lewis.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-05-2014, 02:10 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,326
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
I apologize for causing such an uproar.

Mary
You didn't cause anything Mary. The only "roar" applicable to your post was the latent power in your vocals ;)
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-05-2014, 02:34 PM
Rumpledrum Rumpledrum is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 14
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
On topic:
Mary, you have some singing talent! A great foundation already and your voice sounds really pleasing. Also very nice vibrato. To my ears there's some intonation issues but those are minor and happen at some spots, not all the time. And intonation issues is something that does happen with longer term singers, too. So in the end you can be quite confident with where you're at already.

- - - -

As for shemp - here's my opinion:
He wasn't trolling. He gave honest advice. Now instead of replying 'Yeah sure, that would be a good idea, I'll do that - why not having my singing be judged on a specific forum' (while I absolutely agree that we do have singers/singing drummers on this forum and ultimately, a musician's ears can tell whether things sound nice or not - singing included) Mary's (subjective) (over)reaction was to call shemp a troll etc - which he isn't IMHO.

Mary, why didn't _you_ just ignore shemp's initial reply and moved on? Would that have been so hard? I don't believe you. I guarantee you you'll grow as a person if you open yourself up to a more objective way of processing info that others are giving you. Shemp gave an opinion, his initial post wasn't trolling or stirring anything up. It was _up to you_ to either react or ignore. You chose to react - you have the right to do so, but a bit more objectiveness (or the attempt thereof) would have been a classy idea - just my humble opinion.

Now some opinions might not be to someone else's perfect liking, but hey, that's what they are - opinions. Not a bad idea to look this term up in a dictionary if you aren't sure what an opinion is. Granted, on a forum opinions have to be expressed in a certain/acceptable way but that's what shemp did.

On shemp in Andy's thread (everybody knows what I mean):
To me we had a similar

I'm sure many forum members agree that _after_ shemp's participation in Andy's thread, shemp built up somewhat of a nice reputation contributing info in many other threads (and a few created by him) across the forum. People started to interact more with him and respect him. And didn't you notice the way he was replying in a consistently controlled and mild way free of harsh expressions, accusations and other crap (that many other members couldn't stay away from)? What does that tell you? The man has good control of what he's saying and the way he's expressing it. But - sometimes his opinion might differ from others. Well wake up, that's natural!

You know what? I haven't seen _one single post_ by him that was aggressive, trolling, stirring things up or whatever. _None!_ If in doubt - go back, reread whatever you want, but _without overreacting_. Why don't you try to embrace different opinions? It's up to _you_ to start a fight or get over it, simply ignore those posts and that's it. 'shemp, you aren't that bad' or something to this effect was what I've been reading in a good number of posts. Frankly, I _never_ had the impression he was a troll. And even in Andy's thread I didn't see the need to ban him at any time. In fact I was wondering why people couldn't embrace a different opinion (expressed in a controlled/reasonable way) and move on. But they fired back, even using some language. That's not nice, folks!

In Andy's thread people (it seemed) were waiting to see shemp being banned. I was thinking all the time: Why? For what reasons? Do we ban people because their view isn't commonly accepted? Would you want to be a member of a forum that bans people for no reason? Can't people open up their eyes and move on, ignoring shemp's opinion? No, obviously they couldn't. It takes a reaction to create a conflict. And honestly, shemp had a marvellous way of consistently replying in a controlled fashion and using _zero_ hard language. Open your eyes - many can learn from him! And please don't misinterpret the absence of admin/moderator posts in the beginning of Andy's thread and the fact that shemp wasn't banned right away when people started saying he should be banned for weakness/lack of resolution on the admins' side. It was because there was no need to react, that's why! Really, I was scratching my head why people were overreacting so badly. I don't want to have people taking up what has been discussed in Andy's thread, but that's what people could have done - moving on, ignoring the opinion of one single member - who changed the world - Drummerworld - by a single/a few posts. But why? Because many members showed strong reactions. Now imagine they would have ignored that man - what would have happened? N o t h i n g.

Personally I regret learning he's been banned (nighttime in Europe when it happened - I just stood up) - not by me for sure. As an admin/mod I won't do anything to restore his account, respecting the opinion of some (probably even many) members of this forum. Personally something tells me to have a few PM's with Bernhard in this matter but I won't do this as 'the forum' seems to have a problem with shemp, not the other way round. I do hope though that the other admins/mods will think this over for themselves and maybe change their view. Let's imagine his account would be restored: Folks, show a tiny bit more respect towards opinions that you might _not_ fully share, grow a tiny bit more as a person and - voila, problem solved! Some stuff is purely mind related. Change your mind (or simply embrace different opinions) and the problem is gone instantly! Does that hurt? In a way - yes, but you'll grow as a person. Not that bad actually.

Just to sum it all up: Anybody else's words don't force anybody to anything. Yet shemp's words had a tremendous effect in Andy's thread, but did shemp force anybody to anything? Please go back to what actually happened. Once you understand that it's up to you to make whatever you're making out of it - if you blow some words up by huge magnitudes you might feel insulted or whatever. If you take those words/an opinion for what it is, you can easily get over it, with zero overreaction.
+1. I found Shemp to be a great contributor on the forum, for the short time he was here. Troll he was not. Oppinionated like many others here, he was! I for one will miss his input!
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-05-2014, 02:37 PM
Rumpledrum Rumpledrum is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 14
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Mary, your singing sounds nice, and has a nice texture to it. You also have a nice vibrato to your voice.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-05-2014, 03:06 PM
Mad About Drums's Avatar
Mad About Drums Mad About Drums is offline
Pollyanna's Agent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shropshire, UK
Posts: 5,465
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Well, it seems that this thread was the chosen one... much to Shemp's disgrace...

I'm sorry in a way that Shemp felt like leaving this forum after Grunt's warning... but it was Shemp's decision to be banned... not the mods, not Mary.... but himself, he could of course had apologized to Mary and moved on... but no, strongly stubborn guy I guess... well his shoes, not mine

It's fine to have an opinion and post it on the forum, it's equally fine to disagree with anyone's opinion, the key word is respect... and trying to change someone's opinion with strong arguments and/or explanations is the way to go IMO, it can be done with humour too and definitely with respect, it's what I tried to do here and in other threads for his sake, but his proud stubbornness wouldn't not allow him to acknowledge his lack of history of the members which make this forum what it is, but we shouldn't have to go to battle and call out names... nothing comes out good out of a fight. Knowledge is power and power is knowledge, before anyone of us make a comment in anyone's post, we should know a little about a member's history here on DW...

just my 2c on the shemp's episode...

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
You didn't cause anything Mary. The only "roar" applicable to your post was the latent power in your vocals ;)
I agree with you Andy :)
.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Keep On Drumming
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-05-2014, 03:15 PM
MaryO's Avatar
MaryO MaryO is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,904
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Lol....now there's a leopard print that Uncle Larry should enjoy! I love it!
__________________
I am deluded enough to think I can bring something to the table - Huey Lewis.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-05-2014, 04:50 PM
Magenta's Avatar
Magenta Magenta is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Gwlad Cymru
Posts: 1,849
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
Lol....now there's a leopard print that Uncle Larry should enjoy! I love it!
Nice one Henri!

And, Mary, it definitely was NOT you. What was said was unkind, and there is never any excuse for that.

From a tigress to a leopardess: Keep on roaring!
__________________
Thinly veiled stiletto
Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-05-2014, 05:57 PM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, CA
Posts: 3,166
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Great singing, Mary. I really enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
You know what? I haven't seen _one single post_ by him that was aggressive, trolling, stirring things up or whatever. _None!
I thought this response he gave to me was passive aggressive, which is how a guy like that operates. But he didn't just insult me with this post. He was insulting everyone (passive aggressively of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp:
its a great movie...i do not fancy myself being like the dude nor could I be like the dude. The point of the avatar was grossly misunderstood thus I put the admiral there instead. Apparently to understand the comedic relief behind a guy like me having the dude as an avatar requires an IQ higher than 76.
But that was in response to my trolling on him. Not heavy trolling, but passive aggressive. Myself, I would have used a comma after the word apparently, but I still don't understand the comic relief.
__________________
5A Sticks--Coated Heads--Acoustic Drums--Cast Bronze Cymbals--Heavy-Duty Hardware
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 01-05-2014, 06:30 PM
Magenta's Avatar
Magenta Magenta is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Gwlad Cymru
Posts: 1,849
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
I thought this response he gave to me was passive aggressive, which is how a guy like that operates. But he didn't just insult me with this post. He was insulting everyone (passive aggressively of course).
Gah, you just reminded me that I was going to call him out on PA. Hell, I should know it when I see it.
__________________
Thinly veiled stiletto
Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01-05-2014, 07:29 PM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,605
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Well, it seems that this thread was the chosen one... much to Shemp's disgrace...

I'm sorry in a way that Shemp felt like leaving this forum after Grunt's warning... but it was Shemp's decision to be banned... not the mods, not Mary.... but himself, he could of course had apologized to Mary and moved on... but no, strongly stubborn guy I guess... well his shoes, not mine

It's fine to have an opinion and post it on the forum, it's equally fine to disagree with anyone's opinion, the key word is respect... and trying to change someone's opinion with strong arguments and/or explanations is the way to go IMO, it can be done with humour too and definitely with respect, it's what I tried to do here and in other threads for his sake, but his proud stubbornness wouldn't not allow him to acknowledge his lack of history of the members which make this forum what it is, but we shouldn't have to go to battle and call out names... nothing comes out good out of a fight. Knowledge is power and power is knowledge, before anyone of us make a comment in anyone's post, we should know a little about a member's history here on DW...

just my 2c on the shemp's episode...



I agree with you Andy :)
.
+1 Henri.In addition all I can say about the graphics is....hubba....hubba..leopard print all around.:):)

Mary...you keep on singing and posting.You have the gift of a unique sounding voice,so just keep working with it,and we'll keep enjoying it.

Steve B
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 01-06-2014, 02:03 AM
con struct's Avatar
con struct con struct is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lumpen post-industrial district
Posts: 2,046
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Mary, you've got a good ear for pitch, which bodes well, and you also have a pleasing-to-the-ear voice, which bodes even better. Keep it up, please. A big thumbs up from me.

Arky, when someone goes out of their way to show utter disrespect for the members of this forum, not once but twice, then what is one to think? Twice, now, the guy has shown up at the party for no other reason than to spoil the fun. Whatever you may call it, I call it anti-social behavior.
__________________
Call me J

Last edited by con struct; 01-06-2014 at 02:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 01-06-2014, 04:42 AM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 3,825
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Folks, show a tiny bit more respect towards opinions that you might _not_ fully share, grow a tiny bit more as a person...


Great advice.




I feel Shemp did a disservice to the forum by choosing to leave.

A lot of oversensitivity to opinions causes some to take those opinions too personally, tho a good thing if it entices some reflection.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 01-06-2014, 05:26 AM
alparrott's Avatar
alparrott alparrott is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Posts: 4,157
Default Re: Another singing vid...

I think you did great, Mary -- in fact, a bit better than many people I see fronting bands these days! Keep it up.
__________________
Al Parrott
"Jus suum cuique"
-------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 01-06-2014, 04:26 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 13,291
Default Re: Another singing vid...

While I agree that Shemp could have bit his tongue, you have to take the good with the bad. He's a smart guy with definite well thought out opinions, (mostly) but it seems he is a bit lacking on sensitivity to others feelings. Putting one's singing out there takes...I don't know exactly what it takes, but whatever it is.... it's to be admired. Shemp is like the really great loving Dad that every so often beats his kids. Once I got his number, it was a lot easier to overlook any social shortcomings he has.

IDK, to see one of our precious female members put something as personal as singing out there for public consumption, and then kind of questioning her motives and basically disrespecting her, you have to wonder about that. I have to wonder if I put my singing out there (for instance, being male) if he would have reacted the same way.

It seems like he has a split personality at times. Still, I'd like to see him come back, despite his shortcomings. And we all have them. Shemp is an exercise in tolerance, something the world needs more of. IIRC, this is his first forum experience. There's certain protocols, and it's a bit of a learning curve. I have to wonder if he would have reacted the same way if it were a face to face situation.

Come back Shemp!
__________________
I pay no attention whatever to anybody's praise or blame. I simply follow my own feelings
Mozart
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-06-2014, 04:40 PM
The Old Hyde
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
. There's certain protocols, and it's a bit of a learning curve. !
This is what he stated he was against. it was in that deleted thread by andy, he was proud to be anti-everything it seemed. I don't care if he comes back or not, just leave the antisocial stuff behind.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-06-2014, 04:46 PM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,301
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Hyde View Post
This is what he stated he was against. it was in that deleted thread by andy, he was proud to be anti-everything it seemed. I don't care if he comes back or not, just leave the antisocial stuff behind.
Anybody that genuinely uses 'free speech!' as an argument against his banning on a drum forum doesn't understand that these places don't have free speech. Somewhat bewildering, seeing as it's made clear in the forum rules.
__________________
Bring Me Coffee or Tea
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-06-2014, 04:48 PM
The Old Hyde
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Anybody that genuinely uses 'free speech!' as an argument against his banning on a drum forum doesn't understand that these places don't have free speech. Somewhat bewildering, seeing as it's made clear in the forum rules.
haha right, and the best part, while shouting about rule breakers, and subsequently hiding behind the rules, he never once answered why it bothered him so much when someone broke said rules. he was asked a number of times and just ignored it.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-06-2014, 04:58 PM
MaryO's Avatar
MaryO MaryO is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,904
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I have to wonder if I put my singing out there (for instance, being male) if he would have reacted the same way.
I think he would have as he didn't have any problem voicing his opinions on the whole Guru thing. I kind of get the feeling that he's kind of like one of those little kids who is always getting in trouble...you know, bad attention is better than no attention so he stirs things up to get the attention he is seeking. Maybe I'm off the mark but that's just the way I kind of see him.

If he wants to come back...that's fine with me. He just needs to learn to be RESPECTFUL. It's what this forum is all about. If he has a question about something that's posted he should privately message a mod and ask them. However, I think his attention seeking self will win out and he'll end up shooting himself in the foot again. It is a shame, becuase I do feel he has something to offer...everyone does.

In the end, though, it's fool me once...shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. In the immortal words of The WHO...I won't get fooled again! :)

And thanks again to everyone for their support...you make a girl feel special!
__________________
I am deluded enough to think I can bring something to the table - Huey Lewis.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 01-06-2014, 05:08 PM
The Old Hyde
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
I think he would have as he didn't have any problem voicing his opinions on the whole Guru thing. I kind of get the feeling that he's kind of like one of those little kids who is always getting in trouble...you know, bad attention is better than no attention so he stirs things up to get the attention he is seeking. Maybe I'm off the mark but that's just the way I kind of see him.



And thanks again to everyone for their support...you make a girl feel special!
I agree with this, he proved it with the thread he created where he wanted people to post on it so he could block them. bad attention seeking, total baby stuff.


oh yeah, great job!
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 01-06-2014, 05:51 PM
opentune's Avatar
opentune opentune is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 2,933
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Shemp is an exercise in tolerance, something the world needs more of
I actually appreciate form time to time somebody who comes on here and shakes things up, rocks it, provokes it...... BUT, posting on a drum forum is a lot like drums themselves, its all about your 'tone'.
__________________
Louis
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 01-07-2014, 08:44 AM
IDDrummer's Avatar
IDDrummer IDDrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: I-Dee-Ho
Posts: 3,288
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Sorry to join in the derail, but if you noticed, each time Shemp got into it with everyone, the issue was not that he stated a dissenting opinion about the topic at hand, but instead took issue with the way others were doing things on the forum. Anyone who comes onto an internet forum and starts talking about their right to this or that is off track. It's like being a guest in someone's home and acting in a way your host doesn't appreciate, and then telling your host why he/she is wrong to take offense.

He was generally polite enough, but what some people don't seem to notice is that he was fairly manipulative, and was smart enough to do it in a very round-about way so that the reactions to his statements could always be blamed on the ones reacting. He was pretty benign, in my estimation, but that type of manipulative behavior CAN be very destructive, and most people won't even realize they've been manipulated.

His is a difficult personality type for many to deal with.

Just best to move on, I think, since he has removed himself.

And I will state that all this is just my opinion, man.

And back to Mary, nice singing. Keep at it.
__________________
http://www.gurudrums.co.uk/
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 01-07-2014, 03:07 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 13,291
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Mary if everybody in your world wanted you to get out front and sing....and leave the drumming to someone else (not because your drumming is bad, because it's a shame to have a singer trapped behind the drums) would you do it? Could you do it?
__________________
I pay no attention whatever to anybody's praise or blame. I simply follow my own feelings
Mozart
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 01-07-2014, 03:42 PM
MaryO's Avatar
MaryO MaryO is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,904
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Mary if everybody in your world wanted you to get out front and sing....and leave the drumming to someone else (not because your drumming is bad, because it's a shame to have a singer trapped behind the drums) would you do it? Could you do it?
A good question and a scary one. I've been thinking a lot about it lately. I just don't know. The thought of giving up the drums completely makes me really sad. It's not a matter of being scared to do it...I think being a lead singer would be a blast. However, I just love playing the drums, too. I guess my ideal situation would be to form a band with another drummer/singer where we could split the duties (yeah, that's going to be easy to find....lol).

Here's the thing, though. I know that I'll never be a super drummer...mediocre at best. Not putting myself down, just being realistic. It's not a natural talent for me and I have to work too hard to be even so-so. Singing, however, is something that I seem to have more raw talent for to begin with which makes me think with some training I might could do pretty well at it.

I guess what I need to do is get into another band situation and see what talent we have. Maybe there would be a chance for me to do a little of both. I don't know.

I'd love to hear what some of you think....
__________________
I am deluded enough to think I can bring something to the table - Huey Lewis.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 01-07-2014, 03:58 PM
Magenta's Avatar
Magenta Magenta is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Gwlad Cymru
Posts: 1,849
Default Re: Another singing vid...

It would be a hell of a shame if you stopped being a drummer ... but there's no reason why you should have to. Plenty of people play more than one instrument, even if there's one they favour most.

While I love drumming, I would give my eye-teeth to be able to sing, so if I were in your shoes it would be a no-brainer for me.

What you need, right, is two bands: one in which you're the singer, the other in which you're the drummer. Job done!
__________________
Thinly veiled stiletto
Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 01-07-2014, 04:05 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 13,291
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
A good question and a scary one. I've been thinking a lot about it lately. I just don't know. The thought of giving up the drums completely makes me really sad. It's not a matter of being scared to do it...I think being a lead singer would be a blast. However, I just love playing the drums, too. I guess my ideal situation would be to form a band with another drummer/singer where we could split the duties (yeah, that's going to be easy to find....lol).

Here's the thing, though. I know that I'll never be a super drummer...mediocre at best. Not putting myself down, just being realistic. It's not a natural talent for me and I have to work too hard to be even so-so. Singing, however, is something that I seem to have more raw talent for to begin with which makes me think with some training I might could do pretty well at it.

I guess what I need to do is get into another band situation and see what talent we have. Maybe there would be a chance for me to do a little of both. I don't know.

I'd love to hear what some of you think....
I think you are seeing things as they really are. You are discovering strengths that you never realized you had. You have good time, can understand song forms, you can actually play drums, AND you can do lead vocals.

I can't tell you how many singers I know...singers with good voices...who don't understand song form. Meaning when someone is taking a solo, these singers can't hear the chord progressions, or can't hear that the soloist needs a 2nd time around the progression to culminate their solo to a peak. I've seen so many singers cut the solo short to come back in with their vocals.

YOU understand song form. YOU have a musicians ear and a singers voice. YOU have great, steady meter. YOU have the Ruby Slippers girl, just click your heels and make a wish.

Seriously, a singer who understands song form and can hear when a soloist is done or not....you've got a lot of raw material to work with.

So you're doing terrific Mary O. Keep on with your singing. You continue to be an inspiration and we all love you here.

Madge's idea is a home run. 2 bands. Issue resolved. Singers are the most rare, compared to the other instrument players, so you have that going for you too.
__________________
I pay no attention whatever to anybody's praise or blame. I simply follow my own feelings
Mozart
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 01-07-2014, 04:43 PM
MaryO's Avatar
MaryO MaryO is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,904
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Well 2 bands would be great but I barely have time for one right now. Not sure if two is doable.

AND, let's be honest, singing karaoke style to a recorded track is a lot different than singing with a live band I would suspect so who knows how that would go. There are so many variables and unknowns at this point.

It's a lot to think about but worth looking into. The BF and I are between bands and trying to work up another CL ad to find some other musicians. I know that I want to include at least some singing duties in my next venture. I have to figure out how to word that, though...mediocre drummer/first time singer looking for band isn't likely to fetch to many responses...lol! Also, do we look for another drummer at this point or do we just leave it all up to me and/or look for another singer. I just don't know.

I guess I'm lucky to have so many possibilities, right?
__________________
I am deluded enough to think I can bring something to the table - Huey Lewis.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 01-07-2014, 04:46 PM
IDDrummer's Avatar
IDDrummer IDDrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: I-Dee-Ho
Posts: 3,288
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I can't tell you how many singers I know...singers with good voices...who don't understand song form. Meaning when someone is taking a solo, these singers can't hear the chord progressions, or can't hear that the soloist needs a 2nd time around the progression to culminate their solo to a peak. I've seen so many singers cut the solo short to come back in with their vocals.
This is SO true! I am working with a young singer right now who has a super voice, but hasn't developed a good sense of meter or song structure yet. I like working with her, though, because she is eager to learn and knows it's important for a singer to know these things. I've actually started giving her informal drum lessons to help develop her sense of time and tune up her ears to listen to the song. She's grown by leaps and bounds.

You just went about it the other way, Mary! Drums, meter, and song structure first, then develop the voice. I think it's fantastic. Drummers who can sing, even backing vocals, are in demand in my area.

It's a great thing you're doing!
__________________
http://www.gurudrums.co.uk/
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 01-08-2014, 03:40 AM
MaryO's Avatar
MaryO MaryO is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,904
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Okay, Larry, I'm jumping in with both feet. Just answered an ad on CL posted by a drummer looking to start a classic rock cover band. We responded to the ad, with me offering to be lead singer as opposed to the drummer!

Don't worry, not giving up the drums by any means....but this may be the foot in the door as a singer, right? I'll let you know if we get any response. Yikes!
__________________
I am deluded enough to think I can bring something to the table - Huey Lewis.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 01-08-2014, 04:39 AM
alparrott's Avatar
alparrott alparrott is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Posts: 4,157
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I think you are seeing things as they really are. You are discovering strengths that you never realized you had. You have good time, can understand song forms, you can actually play drums, AND you can do lead vocals.

I can't tell you how many singers I know...singers with good voices...who don't understand song form. Meaning when someone is taking a solo, these singers can't hear the chord progressions, or can't hear that the soloist needs a 2nd time around the progression to culminate their solo to a peak. I've seen so many singers cut the solo short to come back in with their vocals.

YOU understand song form. YOU have a musicians ear and a singers voice. YOU have great, steady meter. YOU have the Ruby Slippers girl, just click your heels and make a wish.

Seriously, a singer who understands song form and can hear when a soloist is done or not....you've got a lot of raw material to work with.

So you're doing terrific Mary O. Keep on with your singing. You continue to be an inspiration and we all love you here.

Madge's idea is a home run. 2 bands. Issue resolved. Singers are the most rare, compared to the other instrument players, so you have that going for you too.
THIS.

I am dealing with a worship leader at my church right now who has no concept of song form, and it's not conducive. Singers have to be as musically schooled as any band member to make it work.

Mary, you've got it far ahead of many folks who don't even know how to count! Go for it.
__________________
Al Parrott
"Jus suum cuique"
-------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 01-08-2014, 02:17 PM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,592
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
Not putting myself down, just being realistic. It's not a natural talent for me and I have to work too hard to be even so-so. Singing, however, is something that I seem to have more raw talent for to begin with which makes me think with some training I might could do pretty well at it.
I know the feeling, Mary. It makes sense to explore areas where you have more talent, and I agree that you should keep on with drumming, including practising drumming and singing together.
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 01-08-2014, 04:02 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 13,291
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
Okay, Larry, I'm jumping in with both feet. Just answered an ad on CL posted by a drummer looking to start a classic rock cover band. We responded to the ad, with me offering to be lead singer as opposed to the drummer!

Don't worry, not giving up the drums by any means....but this may be the foot in the door as a singer, right? I'll let you know if we get any response. Yikes!
Geez, no grass growing under your feet lol. You're kind of amazing like that. When you get something in your crawl, watch out lol! Let us know how it goes.

Look at you graduating to the head of the class already.

While you're at it, you should campaign for President in 2016. Shouldn't be too much trouble for you lol.
__________________
I pay no attention whatever to anybody's praise or blame. I simply follow my own feelings
Mozart
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 01-08-2014, 05:42 PM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,301
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
Okay, Larry, I'm jumping in with both feet. Just answered an ad on CL posted by a drummer looking to start a classic rock cover band. We responded to the ad, with me offering to be lead singer as opposed to the drummer!

Don't worry, not giving up the drums by any means....but this may be the foot in the door as a singer, right? I'll let you know if we get any response. Yikes!
Bloody Hell. You have the kind of drive I wish I had!

Fantastic.
__________________
Bring Me Coffee or Tea
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 01-08-2014, 06:04 PM
MaryO's Avatar
MaryO MaryO is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,904
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Bloody Hell. You have the kind of drive I wish I had!

Fantastic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Geez, no grass growing under your feet lol. You're kind of amazing like that. When you get something in your crawl, watch out lol! Let us know how it goes.

Look at you graduating to the head of the class already.

While you're at it, you should campaign for President in 2016. Shouldn't be too much trouble for you lol.
Well, first I have to get a reply from the guy... As for President, not my cup o' tea...we'll save that position for someone else.
__________________
I am deluded enough to think I can bring something to the table - Huey Lewis.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 01-08-2014, 06:36 PM
HMNY HMNY is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New York, Ex UK
Posts: 773
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
. It's like being a guest in someone's home and acting in a way your host doesn't appreciate, and then telling your host why he/she is wrong to take offense.
A very neat summary IDD, all in all, I won't be missing him, his initial attacks on Guru (and as far as I can recall ONLY Guru) when there are a number of other manufacturers participating on DW, was a big red flag for me.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 01-08-2014, 07:15 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,326
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Wow! You got spheres young lady ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
Okay, Larry, I'm jumping in with both feet. Just answered an ad on CL posted by a drummer looking to start a classic rock cover band. We responded to the ad, with me offering to be lead singer as opposed to the drummer!

Don't worry, not giving up the drums by any means....but this may be the foot in the door as a singer, right? I'll let you know if we get any response. Yikes!
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 01-08-2014, 07:27 PM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,605
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Wow! You got spheres young lady ;)
Brass ones for sure:)..Good on ya Mary.Just jump right on in the deep end,and don't look back.Many a career has started that way,and you're just doing something else you love to do,and you're good at. Brava.

"What lies behind us and before us,are tiny matters,compared to what lies within us"--Henry Haskins.

Who's better than you.....:):)

Steve B
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 01-08-2014, 07:40 PM
MaryO's Avatar
MaryO MaryO is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,904
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Wow! You got spheres young lady ;)
Either that or I'm just plain clueless! :)

The guy has emailed me back and seems interested. Says he likes the thought of a female lead singer because there aren't too many in the Cincinnati area. I would suspect that especially true in the classic rock genre. So....I'll talk to the BF tonight and if likes what this guy had to say, then we'll set up a time to meet in person this weekend. Oh my...what have I done???

Guess I better work up a few songs, huh? I did tell him I liked Melissa Etheridge so I have a couple of those I can sing and then last night I was working on Free's All Right Now..That should give him an idea anyways. This will either be awesome or crash and burn for sure!
Reality check on the way....

Stay tuned!
__________________
I am deluded enough to think I can bring something to the table - Huey Lewis.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 01-08-2014, 08:50 PM
IDDrummer's Avatar
IDDrummer IDDrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: I-Dee-Ho
Posts: 3,288
Default Re: Another singing vid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
Either that or I'm just plain clueless! :)

The guy has emailed me back and seems interested. Says he likes the thought of a female lead singer because there aren't too many in the Cincinnati area. I would suspect that especially true in the classic rock genre. So....I'll talk to the BF tonight and if likes what this guy had to say, then we'll set up a time to meet in person this weekend. Oh my...what have I done???

Guess I better work up a few songs, huh? I did tell him I liked Melissa Etheridge so I have a couple of those I can sing and then last night I was working on Free's All Right Now..That should give him an idea anyways. This will either be awesome or crash and burn for sure!
Reality check on the way....

Stay tuned!
Rock on! It's exciting hearing about your adventures, Mary. Can't wait to hear what happens next!
__________________
http://www.gurudrums.co.uk/
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com