DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-24-2013, 12:33 AM
SgtThump's Avatar
SgtThump SgtThump is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 1,395
Default Added toms to my Yamaha Live Custom oak set... Video

Hey everybody, look at me! I have a video! lol...

I'll just copy and paste what I wrote in the video. This is my first chance to do a video with the new toms. What a blast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Ww...ature=youtu.be

Bought this set at Forks Drum Closet (great place and staff) as a 14x22 bass drum, 8x12 rack tom, and 15x16 floor tom. Just recently added a matching 7x10 rack tom and a 13x14 floor tom (ordered online from Rupp's Drums - great staff!).

Put new Remo Coated Ambassador batters on toms and clear PowerStroke 3 batter on bass drum. Bass drum reso head is the stock black PS3 Yamaha with no port hole. Tom reso heads are the stock clear Ambassadors.

Two overhead Sterling Audio large condenser microphones and an Audix D6 bass drum microphone.

Snare is a Pearl Masters MCX 5.5"x14" maple snare with coated Ambassador batter and hazy Ambassador snare-side.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-24-2013, 12:46 AM
shemp's Avatar
shemp shemp is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 692
Default Re: Added toms to my Yamaha Live Custom oak set... Video

I watched the whole vid...to me they sound fantastic! I did not pay attention to the crashes that much cause I was focused on the toms...but the ride did reach out and grab me..clean.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-24-2013, 03:02 AM
SgtThump's Avatar
SgtThump SgtThump is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 1,395
Default Re: Added toms to my Yamaha Live Custom oak set... Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I watched the whole vid...to me they sound fantastic! I did not pay attention to the crashes that much cause I was focused on the toms...but the ride did reach out and grab me..clean.
Thanks! If I remember right from the other thread, you're a fan of Paiste cymbals too. I also have a set of 2002's and a mixed set of nice sounding Zildjians. Cymbals are where it's at to me.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-29-2013, 08:09 PM
SgtThump's Avatar
SgtThump SgtThump is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 1,395
Default Re: Added toms to my Yamaha Live Custom oak set... Video

Well... I think this is the best sound I've had. The toms ring out/decay perfectly, everything sounds very full, etc... I'm digging it!

I'm curious what others think?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-29-2013, 09:48 PM
porter's Avatar
porter porter is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,500
Default Re: Added toms to my Yamaha Live Custom oak set... Video

Hey there, Mr. Weckl :)

Lovely bass tone and nice toms. The 16" is perhaps a bit slack for my tastes, but the rest is wonderful and continued indication of the pure potential of coated Ambassadors. Nice spread of pitches as well, everything sounds very consistent.
__________________
Check out my Youtube channel!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-30-2013, 01:29 AM
SgtThump's Avatar
SgtThump SgtThump is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 1,395
Default Re: Added toms to my Yamaha Live Custom oak set... Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter View Post
Hey there, Mr. Weckl :)

Lovely bass tone and nice toms. The 16" is perhaps a bit slack for my tastes, but the rest is wonderful and continued indication of the pure potential of coated Ambassadors. Nice spread of pitches as well, everything sounds very consistent.
Hey thanks man, that's my opinion too! I started to try some different heads on these drums (and I probably will), but I knew coated Ambassadors would come through. It's funny you say "Mr Weckl", because a kit he used at a drum clinic is on eBay right now and it's exactly the same thing as my kit - heads and all. LOL

Proof that the gear doesn't make the player! LOL
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-30-2013, 01:35 AM
porter's Avatar
porter porter is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,500
Default Re: Added toms to my Yamaha Live Custom oak set... Video

I think he plays the Live Custom mainly now, and he always uses the coated/clear ambassador combo (even a coated amb. on the bass, which is where you diverge)- hence my reference :)

Good enough for him, good enough for me. Probably why I'm constantly drooling over his cymbal lines. ;)
__________________
Check out my Youtube channel!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-30-2013, 02:19 AM
SgtThump's Avatar
SgtThump SgtThump is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 1,395
Default Re: Added toms to my Yamaha Live Custom oak set... Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter View Post
I think he plays the Live Custom mainly now, and he always uses the coated/clear ambassador combo (even a coated amb. on the bass, which is where you diverge)- hence my reference :)

Good enough for him, good enough for me. Probably why I'm constantly drooling over his cymbal lines. ;)
I'm curious to see what happens when Yamaha reveals the new lines from their China plant at NAMM. I can only guess they will offer a maple version of the Live Custom and maybe a birch version? Not sure. I'm curious, even though I don't see a reason to go from my current oak setup to any other wood.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-30-2013, 03:03 AM
wildbill wildbill is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Midwest - USA
Posts: 3,340
Default Re: Added toms to my Yamaha Live Custom oak set... Video

The 10 and 12 sounded so good that I thought by the time you got down to the 16, it would lose all definition.
But in context with the rest, it sounds good.
I like the oomph you're getting from the kick too.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-30-2013, 04:13 PM
SgtThump's Avatar
SgtThump SgtThump is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 1,395
Default Re: Added toms to my Yamaha Live Custom oak set... Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
The 10 and 12 sounded so good that I thought by the time you got down to the 16, it would lose all definition.
But in context with the rest, it sounds good.
I like the oomph you're getting from the kick too.
Thanks! I struggled with the 16 a bit. Actually, I struggled with the entire kit for a short while. Me doing stupid things like tuning too high and not able to get a great tone or fussing with the tom mount to get the most sustain.

Really happy with it all now, though.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-30-2013, 05:25 PM
bobdadruma's Avatar
bobdadruma bobdadruma is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: second measure of a fill-in
Posts: 10,216
Default Re: Added toms to my Yamaha Live Custom oak set... Video

The kit and the playing are excellent Sarge :)
__________________
I kind of like old drums:)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-01-2014, 08:30 PM
SgtThump's Avatar
SgtThump SgtThump is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 1,395
Default Re: Added toms to my Yamaha Live Custom oak set... Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
The kit and the playing are excellent Sarge :)
Thank you sir!

Believe me, im not losing sleep over the youtube rating system, but there are a couple of thumbs down on my video which really puzzles me. Probably for the lackluster playing. I think the entire setup sounds awesome!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-01-2014, 09:08 PM
v.zarate v.zarate is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: State of Lady Liberty
Posts: 730
Default Re: Added toms to my Yamaha Live Custom oak set... Video

i think those toms sound great with coated ambassadors. the kit sounds huge.

are they as loud as the oak customs? i got the chance to play the oak customs a few weeks back at my local GC and they sound good, just loud. especially the kick, massive BOOM! lol
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-02-2014, 12:56 AM
SgtThump's Avatar
SgtThump SgtThump is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 1,395
Default Re: Added toms to my Yamaha Live Custom oak set... Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.zarate View Post
i think those toms sound great with coated ambassadors. the kit sounds huge.

are they as loud as the oak customs? i got the chance to play the oak customs a few weeks back at my local GC and they sound good, just loud. especially the kick, massive BOOM! lol
Yeah, theyre loud and beefy like the oak customs. Love that! ;)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-02-2014, 01:12 AM
shemp's Avatar
shemp shemp is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 692
Default Re: Added toms to my Yamaha Live Custom oak set... Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtThump View Post
Thanks! If I remember right from the other thread, you're a fan of Paiste cymbals too. I also have a set of 2002's and a mixed set of nice sounding Zildjians. Cymbals are where it's at to me.
Yes sir....I'm very pleased with the 2002 and K mixture I'm using. I've been spending a good amount of time working on hitting them with fury, but with a semi-circular approach because I don't want to lose any of them. I've found that I can order 2002 without hearing them first. I just got the 19" that is in my photo album...sounds killer. The 18" was also amazon and the 17"...the 15 and 16 are not up right now...those I bought in person.

Again, your kit and playing sound great.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-02-2014, 04:28 AM
v.zarate v.zarate is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: State of Lady Liberty
Posts: 730
Default Re: Added toms to my Yamaha Live Custom oak set... Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtThump View Post
Yeah, theyre loud and beefy like the oak customs. Love that! ;)
im liking them too!

its true what people say about the yammies, you cant go wrong with them!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-02-2014, 08:41 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,241
Default Re: Added toms to my Yamaha Live Custom oak set... Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtThump View Post
Believe me, im not losing sleep over the youtube rating system, but there are a couple of thumbs down on my video which really puzzles me. Probably for the lackluster playing. I think the entire setup sounds awesome!
Sorry, I missed this out of the gate Sarge :( Drums sounding really good - like REALLY good. I'm guessing you added a little meat on the EQ via the board, but you treated that sensitively, so all's good. I like your relaxed presentation too. Leaves enough space to hear the notes & appreciate what's going on :)

As for the negative thumbs down thing - ignore it. There's always people out there who prefer to "rate" something with a click of the mouse rather than actually take the time to critique in writing. Kind of annoys me too. It's faceless & lazy. If you've got something negative to highlight, just damn well say it IMO. Happens on my videos, happens on everyone's videos. Hell, I even got an anonymous low star rating on my video thread the other day. It happens.
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-02-2014, 02:21 PM
SgtThump's Avatar
SgtThump SgtThump is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 1,395
Default Re: Added toms to my Yamaha Live Custom oak set... Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Sorry, I missed this out of the gate Sarge :( Drums sounding really good - like REALLY good. I'm guessing you added a little meat on the EQ via the board, but you treated that sensitively, so all's good. I like your relaxed presentation too. Leaves enough space to hear the notes & appreciate what's going on :)

As for the negative thumbs down thing - ignore it. There's always people out there who prefer to "rate" something with a click of the mouse rather than actually take the time to critique in writing. Kind of annoys me too. It's faceless & lazy. If you've got something negative to highlight, just damn well say it IMO. Happens on my videos, happens on everyone's videos. Hell, I even got an anonymous low star rating on my video thread the other day. It happens.
Thank you sir! Believe it or not, but I had the board EQ levels flat for the two overheads. I do always mess with the board EQ for the bass drum mic, but try to leave the others flat. I experiment with mic placement the most, trying to find the spots that allow the cymbals and toms to be heard well, but not overpower each other. These toms are loud, so it takes some experimenting.

Thanks again! :)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-02-2014, 03:12 PM
G-2 G-2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southeast, US...
Posts: 235
Default Re: Added toms to my Yamaha Live Custom oak set... Video

They sounds real good man!
__________________
If you're reading it, Suzy typed it...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-02-2014, 07:15 PM
SgtThump's Avatar
SgtThump SgtThump is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 1,395
Default Re: Added toms to my Yamaha Live Custom oak set... Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-2 View Post
They sounds real good man!
Thank you much! I feel better now... ha ha

It's always nice to get a little reassurance, IMO. :)

I believe my band is going to the studio to record 4 new original tunes in February, so I'm trying to get everything dialed in perfectly before then. I use the Oak Customs live with that band, but want to use these Live Customs in the studio. Also trying to get my cymbal setups together. Can't freaking wait to record!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-03-2014, 02:25 AM
porter's Avatar
porter porter is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,500
Default Re: Added toms to my Yamaha Live Custom oak set... Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtThump View Post
I use the Oak Customs live with that band, but want to use these Live Customs in the studio.
How ironic of you ;)
__________________
Check out my Youtube channel!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-03-2014, 02:37 AM
evilg99's Avatar
evilg99 evilg99 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 828
Default Re: Added toms to my Yamaha Live Custom oak set... Video

Yeah, you better be careful Chris, you might be the target of a full-on Live Custom Police investigation.
Live Custom. Not Studio Custom. Under penalty of law.
You could lose everything!

Neal
__________________
-----------------------------
Crank the Reso

[14 CREW]
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-03-2014, 03:16 AM
SgtThump's Avatar
SgtThump SgtThump is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 1,395
Default Re: Added toms to my Yamaha Live Custom oak set... Video

LOL.. you guys are funny!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-03-2014, 08:26 PM
KarlCrafton's Avatar
KarlCrafton KarlCrafton is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 4,507
Default Re: Added toms to my Yamaha Live Custom oak set... Video

Those sound kick ass.
The cymbals sound great too. LOVE the 20, and if the 18 I got sounded as good as yours, I would have kept it.
__________________
My band Artificial Agent here: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116637
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-03-2014, 08:38 PM
scorch whammin's Avatar
scorch whammin scorch whammin is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Savannah, GA USA
Posts: 1,034
Default Re: Added toms to my Yamaha Live Custom oak set... Video

Drums sound great sarge! (playing as well)..and I offset one of the thumbs down with a thumbs up!;)..

We're using Gplus coated on the live customs I play at church..nice combo as well...
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-04-2014, 06:18 PM
SgtThump's Avatar
SgtThump SgtThump is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 1,395
Default Re: Added toms to my Yamaha Live Custom oak set... Video

Thanks again! Now I need to spend more time actually learning how to play! lol... Remember, im pretty new to drums. :)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com