DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-02-2013, 07:12 PM
wizard sticks wizard sticks is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 81
Default Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

In the old days (pre-1990!) Pearl hardware had a reputation as being the best. They had their uni-lock tilter even back then, and as I assess the options today, this feature (or similar) is not a universal, amazingly.. how people not use a universal tilter for their snare is a bad thing in my opinion!

This Gibraltar thing seems popular now, being American and all. Is this stuff any better?

I will probably stick to the Pearl choice out of habit, and it seems that the competition hasn't caught up yet.

(Its a shame that single-braced hardware isn't more popular, but never mind.)

Or am I a sucker?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-02-2013, 07:25 PM
soulfly28 soulfly28 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 234
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

I have a lot of Gibraltar on my rack. I also have some Pearl clamps on my down tubes. Personally, it is cheaper for me to get Gibraltar hardware locally than Pearl. From the Pearl equipment I have used, they really seem about the same. Keep in mind, these are the only pearl thing I have. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Pearl-AX...13-i1140412.gc

I got them because I found a deal on Ebay where I got 4 clamps for 50 bucks. Compare that price to this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibralta...31-i1139070.gc

When you are building a rack, that price difference adds up.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-02-2013, 07:53 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,320
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

I never got the impression that the Pearl stuff was the best in any era. Although good, their hardware wasn't that different or less strong compared to similar offerings from Tama or Yamaha. And Gibraltar is American? I never knew that.

Yamaha makes really nice single-braced hardware if that's what you're looking for. Gibraltar makes those really cool (and cheaper) flat-based hardware stands that are really good too. I say make a list of what you want and then start looking around - there will be a company that has what you want. Drum Workshop probably makes the best over-engineered stuff on the planet right now. Pearl is probably more economical compared to DW. As far as racks go, I think the Yamaha hex rack is a great design.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-02-2013, 08:20 PM
wizard sticks wizard sticks is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 81
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I never got the impression that the Pearl stuff was the best in any era. Although good, their hardware wasn't that different or less strong compared to similar offerings from Tama or Yamaha. And Gibraltar is American? I never knew that.

Yamaha makes really nice single-braced hardware if that's what you're looking for. Gibraltar makes those really cool (and cheaper) flat-based hardware stands that are really good too. I say make a list of what you want and then start looking around - there will be a company that has what you want. Drum Workshop probably makes the best over-engineered stuff on the planet right now. Pearl is probably more economical compared to DW. As far as racks go, I think the Yamaha hex rack is a great design.
I wish I could get single-braced hardware with 20th century tilters. If you know then tell me!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-02-2013, 08:48 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,320
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard sticks View Post
I wish I could get single-braced hardware with 20th century tilters. If you know then tell me!
If you're talking tripod-based hardware, check out Yamaha's 700 series hardware. I have their 740 hi-hat stand and snare stands, and I have three of their 600-series straight cymbal stands and they're awesome. Girbraltar, Ludwig, and DW make the flat-based cymbal stands with all the modern tilters, so there's basically a stand out there for every need.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-02-2013, 08:57 PM
wizard sticks wizard sticks is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 81
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
If you're talking tripod-based hardware, check out Yamaha's 700 series hardware. I have their 740 hi-hat stand and snare stands, and I have three of their 600-series straight cymbal stands and they're awesome. Girbraltar, Ludwig, and DW make the flat-based cymbal stands with all the modern tilters, so there's basically a stand out there for every need.
Just looked at the Gilbralter flats, and it took a while to find out what the tilter is (in which it is a good one). They need to sing it from the rooftops is the tilter is geared or not .. it helps. :)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-02-2013, 09:01 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,320
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard sticks View Post
Just looked at the Gilbralter flats, and it took a while to find out what the tilter is (in which it is a good one). They need to sing it from the rooftops is the tilter is geared or not .. it helps. :)
Ah. If you want gearless, then Ludwig flats would be the way to go. Not only does it tilt, it will also swivel! It's like a ball-and-socket principle applied to the cymbal tilter. Very adjustable. Probably a bit more expensive in the UK, but they might be worth a look.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-02-2013, 09:08 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 13,398
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

I have a Pearl hi hat stand that has performed millions of chicks and foot-splashes since 2003 and I never even have to think about it. From what I gather here, Yamaha and DW are king of hardware.
__________________
Great art is born out of great pain.

Gomez Addams
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-02-2013, 09:21 PM
wizard sticks wizard sticks is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 81
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

Thanks. If you have used Yamaha hardware (which has had a great reputation too!) then is the 'center tilter' geared?

For some reason the flats look a bit weird! - but if they ofter lightness and flexibility, then they could be mine!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-02-2013, 09:24 PM
wizard sticks wizard sticks is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 81
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I have a Pearl hi hat stand that has performed millions of chicks and foot-splashes since 2003 and I never even have to think about it. From what I gather here, Yamaha and DW are king of hardware.
From my old days, when the Recording Custom ruled the earth, their hardware was seen as beastly too - for the professional class at least.

DW should be good for the price!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-02-2013, 10:01 PM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,187
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard sticks View Post
In the old days (pre-1990!)

This Gibraltar thing seems popular now, being American and all. Is this stuff any better?
The company is American based, but their stuff is manufactured in Asia.
__________________
This seat does not recline as per Federal Aviation Regulation 121.310 (f)(3)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-02-2013, 10:06 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,320
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard sticks View Post
From my old days, when the Recording Custom ruled the earth, their hardware was seen as beastly too - for the professional class at least.

DW should be good for the price!
Have you seen Sonor's 600-series hardware? It makes anybody's beastly hardware look anemic ;)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-03-2013, 01:32 AM
alparrott's Avatar
alparrott alparrott is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Posts: 4,163
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

I am no fan of Pearl hardware, especially the mid-range stuff. The components seem to turn very freely in the tubes, meaning your stuff does not stay where you set it. They really only stay put when you use memory locks on them -- but many of their stands do not come with memory locks, so you have to purchase them separately.

I also use Yamaha hardware and it's some of the best built stuff out there.
__________________
Al Parrott
"Jus suum cuique"
-------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-03-2013, 01:53 AM
wizard sticks wizard sticks is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 81
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
I am no fan of Pearl hardware, especially the mid-range stuff. The components seem to turn very freely in the tubes, meaning your stuff does not stay where you set it. They really only stay put when you use memory locks on them -- but many of their stands do not come with memory locks, so you have to purchase them separately.

I also use Yamaha hardware and it's some of the best built stuff out there.
I must admit I have never had any problem with any hardware. I just don't belt them hard enough. I started using the original flats, and I never had a problem with them. I even gigged with them in the 90s, and other drummers found it funny!

For drummers like me, most modern hardware is simply overkill.

I like the look of the Yamaha's, especially the single-braced stuff. The Gibraltar flats look fun too ... but a gearless snare stand I couldn't live without, for positioning.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-03-2013, 01:53 AM
bobdadruma's Avatar
bobdadruma bobdadruma is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: second measure of a fill-in
Posts: 10,262
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

Hardware has really come a long way in the past few decades.
I currently use both single and double braced hardware from Tama , Gibraltar, Sonor, Pearl, dw, Mapex, Ludwig. I use low to medium grade hardware because I don't need the heaviest hardware. There really is no sense in buying heavy duty hardware if you don't need it.
I really don't have complaints about any of the hardware that I own. It does the job and It is super dependable. It really comes down to features and style.

One of my favorite high-hat stands is the one that came with my Pearl Rhythm Traveller kit.
It is basic but it has a smooth action that I like.
I also have a no name snare stand that I really like.
__________________
I kind of like old drums:)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-03-2013, 02:37 AM
Milt Hathaway's Avatar
Milt Hathaway Milt Hathaway is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 150
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

I haven't kept up with their cymbal stand offerings, but I am of the opinion that their S1000 snare stand is second to none.
__________________
The more I learn about drums, the better I do my job.

http://www.fitzcosound.com
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-03-2013, 04:59 AM
audiotech
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

I use hardware from practically every major manufacturer and find Pearls mid range 900 series stands are very road worthy and affordable. I have seven or eight of their BC-900 cymbal stands and one of their H-900 Hi Hat stands and an old Pearl drum throne that's got to be twenty five years old. Non of them ever failed me. For the rest of their hardware equipment, I have no idea. I preach only for what I use.

BTW, The Pearl 900 stands have features that many of the more expensive stands from other manufacturers don't have at this price range. Uni-Lock cymbal tilters and memory locks just off the top of my head.

Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-03-2013, 05:18 AM
porter's Avatar
porter porter is online now
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,627
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt Hathaway View Post
I haven't kept up with their cymbal stand offerings, but I am of the opinion that their S1000 snare stand is second to none.
Absolutely. The only comparable stand that I've seen is the Ludwig Atlas Pro "Pillar Clutch" thing, but I haven't examined it thoroughly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
BTW, The Pearl 900 stands have features that many of the more expensive stands from other manufacturers don't have at this price range. Uni-Lock cymbal tilters and memory locks just off the top of my head.

Dennis
Their 900 hardware is very solid. I actually much, much prefer the boom stands over the 1000 series boom stands because the boom arm tilter is a solid single-nut adjustment with a knurled tube rather than their gross-looking and (imo) prone to stripping 1000 series tilters with what I believe are hollow boom arms. Using those during marching season (as attachments to a marimba crossbar) is an absolute pain.
__________________
Check out my Youtube channel!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-03-2013, 12:30 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,398
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
From what I gather here, Yamaha and DW are king of hardware.
Yamaha all the way for me. Never - ever had a single issue with Yamaha hardware of any series. I've had several casting failure issues with DW stuff, but it's generally decent stuff. Pearl top range stuff is reasonable, but it's midrange & lower level stuff isn't that great IMO. Every hardware piece that came with my son's Vision kit has failed. The black plastic bush inserts on stands are especially poor. They crack (sometimes within weeks) rendering the stand useless.
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Beefy Beefy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 27
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

I remember way back in the 80s you would turn on the tv and see a pearl drum set on every metalish video. They sounded really good and make a lot of good stuff and a lot of decent beginner stuff. I don't think there quailitys has gone down just style tastes change.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-03-2013, 06:11 PM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,755
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
The company is American based, but their stuff is manufactured in Asia.
^ This.

Gibraltar is 100% made in Asia, and always has been. Their original parent company was an American aerospace company, but was sold to Fender Guitars several years back.

I still have some Pearl hardware from the 80's. My main problem is those gearless tilters have worn out. But given those stands are over 20 years old, I guess that's not bad, but still, it's shame to replace an otherwise good stand because the tilter is shot.

These days, so many different companies are doing so much great stuff with hardware.
Tama, Ludwig, DW, Gibralter, Pearl, Yamaha, etc, all are making great stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-31-2013, 04:53 PM
Bill Stevenson Bill Stevenson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 60
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
^ This.

These days, so many different companies are doing so much great stuff with hardware.
Tama, Ludwig, DW, Gibralter, Pearl, Yamaha, etc, all are making great stuff.
+1 on that. All modern hardware is simply outstanding.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-31-2013, 08:58 PM
lsits's Avatar
lsits lsits is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 688
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

I still use a Pearl single braced boom stand (don't know what model) that I bought sometime back in the 80's. Besides the 17" crash, it holds my 10" and 12" toms. No problems. About a year ago I purchased a Gibraltar boom stand and straight stand. Even though they're double braced, it's lighter than my other stands. I guess you would call it medium duty. I'm looking at hi-hat stands right now. I think I've narrowed it town to the Gibraltar 6707 and the Yamaha HS-740.
__________________
I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-31-2013, 11:03 PM
Raelthomas's Avatar
Raelthomas Raelthomas is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 119
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
I am no fan of Pearl hardware, especially the mid-range stuff. The components seem to turn very freely in the tubes, meaning your stuff does not stay where you set it. They really only stay put when you use memory locks on them...
Really? I've had the same hardware for 10 years, Pearl and Tama mix. I've never, ever had a cymbal move... and they've seen some tough times! Granted, I didn't buy mid-level stuff but I've found Pearl's hardware is very sturdy.
__________________
Pearl Masterworks Custom 4-ply Maple
Tama Starclassic Performer Birch
Sabian, Meinl, Paiste
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-31-2013, 11:38 PM
Florian's Avatar
Florian Florian is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 949
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

Ive used Pearl for 25+ years and have NEVER had issue one with any of their hardware, whether it be a HH stand or a boom stand. Solid as a rock, never had to think twice about any of it.

F
__________________
Sonor Ascent & SQ2
Paiste/UFIP/Evans/Vater/Pearl
Porter and Davies
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-01-2014, 12:50 AM
alparrott's Avatar
alparrott alparrott is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Posts: 4,163
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelthomas View Post
Really? I've had the same hardware for 10 years, Pearl and Tama mix. I've never, ever had a cymbal move... and they've seen some tough times! Granted, I didn't buy mid-level stuff but I've found Pearl's hardware is very sturdy.
Over the last few years, when I've been in the market for new hardware, I've stopped at my local shop, which stocks Pearl and Sonor hardware (at a high markup, but hey, middle of nowhere). The Sonor stuff is great but far too pricey. The Pearl is doable, but I can freely turn pipes in my hands with no effort no matter how tightly the pipe is clamped, unless there's memory locks (and none of these seem to come with them). Maybe these stands have just stood in this store for too long, I don't know. But I like my snare and cymbals to stay where I put them.

I have a few CH-70 boom arms from the late 80's and they have survived well; I just couldn't see myself buying something that simply won't stay where I set it. I'll shoot video next time I'm at this store just so not all of you think I'm crazy.
__________________
Al Parrott
"Jus suum cuique"
-------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-01-2014, 02:19 AM
Raelthomas's Avatar
Raelthomas Raelthomas is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 119
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

Ah, I see. I've found most of my (now fairly used) stands will move with force, even when tightened. Though I've never had any issues with things moving about when I haven't wanted them to. That would bother me. Sonor stuff is great across the board, hey! But God, you pay for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
Over the last few years, when I've been in the market for new hardware, I've stopped at my local shop, which stocks Pearl and Sonor hardware (at a high markup, but hey, middle of nowhere). The Sonor stuff is great but far too pricey. The Pearl is doable, but I can freely turn pipes in my hands with no effort no matter how tightly the pipe is clamped, unless there's memory locks (and none of these seem to come with them). Maybe these stands have just stood in this store for too long, I don't know. But I like my snare and cymbals to stay where I put them.

I have a few CH-70 boom arms from the late 80's and they have survived well; I just couldn't see myself buying something that simply won't stay where I set it. I'll shoot video next time I'm at this store just so not all of you think I'm crazy.
__________________
Pearl Masterworks Custom 4-ply Maple
Tama Starclassic Performer Birch
Sabian, Meinl, Paiste
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-02-2014, 02:06 PM
SgtThump's Avatar
SgtThump SgtThump is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 1,434
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

I have both the flat-base Ludwig Atlas Classic hardware, as well as Yamaha 600 and 700 series single braced tripod stands. Both are awesome.

The Yamaha 600 and 700 series tilters are geared. The Ludwigs are not. Both the Atlas Classic and 600 series stands are light and portable. The 700 series gets a little heavier.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-02-2014, 03:34 PM
alparrott's Avatar
alparrott alparrott is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Posts: 4,163
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtThump View Post
I have both the flat-base Ludwig Atlas Classic hardware, as well as Yamaha 600 and 700 series single braced tripod stands. Both are awesome.

The Yamaha 600 and 700 series tilters are geared. The Ludwigs are not. Both the Atlas Classic and 600 series stands are light and portable. The 700 series gets a little heavier.
I have Yamaha stands that are fifteen years old and don't budge when set. I am also very impressed by the Atlas mount I just bought, and wouldn't be opposed to checking out the Atlas Standard hardware to fit this new kit I just got =)
__________________
Al Parrott
"Jus suum cuique"
-------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Tommy_D Tommy_D is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 320
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

I never liked Pearl's hardware back in the 90's. It wasnt very attaractive to me, the gearless stuff wears out and it gives play in the stand, etc. The best hardware I have ever owned are Tama Titan Stilt stands from the 90's. I still own them and after 20 years they still work like brand new. The quick release levers for the tubes are something manufacturers need to bring back. Fastest and easiest way to make adjustments to your stands. I hate the wingnuts on regular stands.

I will say that Tama's hardware is total crap now compared to those Titan Stilt stands. Tamas top of the line stuff now barely holds a candle to their mid line stuff from back in the 90's. Its pretty sad.

I do have a Pearl S-1000 snare stand, H-2000 hi-hat stand, and Eliminator double pedals and for the last year and a half hey have been fine. I find the omniball adjuster on the snare stand tends to allow for a little bit of settlement/movement when you really lay in to the snare. A song with lots of rimshots will push the snare to a bit of a sideways angle making rimshots harder and harder to hit. A regular geared tilt adjustment would never allow for this. I find the hi-hat stand and eliminator pedals to be fantastic though.
__________________
Tommy_D's Gear
Tommy_D's Drumming

Last edited by Tommy_D; 01-02-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-02-2014, 10:15 PM
The Old Hyde
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

I still have the pearl hardware that came with my kit from 1985. I only bought new hardware due to the amount of scratches and surface grime on them due to years of storage during my non playing years. my throne is still the same pearl throne as well. never a single issue. with my new Gibraltar stealth rack I am using the top part and boom arms out of my pearl hardware. It used to be some of the best hardware made.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-03-2014, 09:36 AM
Dre25's Avatar
Dre25 Dre25 is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,206
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

The only hardware that's ever failed on me is the connecting rod for my tama iron cobra, but they will fail on most pedals, maybe not ones with revised driveshafts (axis, trick, pearl z link). I don't really see durability as a big issue with any midrange+ hardware that's taken care of. I have an s-1000d snare stand an ex hat stand and icon rack from pearl, all holding up fine and nicely designed.

For boom stands I like Yamaha's single braced stuff.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
please do not take this advice for it is among the worst given
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-04-2014, 07:31 AM
Rhino66 Rhino66 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 24
Default Re: Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

The best hardware Ive used is Sonor - followed by Yamahas heavier hardware too. Both companies offer well made, super durable hardware that really held up.
Both of their older 80s hardware series are incredible and were almost overbuilt, just great quality there.

The older Tama Titan hardware was also very well designed and built to hold up. Tama lost me when they went to Roadpro midline hardware and then tried to market it as their top range. It was crazy, and the hardware they have now cant touch the Titan stuff they used to make.

this "newer" Pearl and the tama roadpro stuff wears out so quick...and yesss, gearless tilters and tom arms DO wear fast and get play in em. Theyre much cheaper for the companies to design and go with, less parts to manufacture, no metal crafted geared teeth for them to make ...but geared/tooth tilters can lock in and hold things tight - the gearless 'disc" tilters can and do slip, at some point they all will.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com