DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 09-30-2012, 05:52 AM

Default SPD-SX or DTX Multi-12

My immediate applications for either of these items would be as follows:

-To have a **compact**, great sounding set of percussion sounds and effects for live theatre applications
-Potential to mix electronic drums with acoustic (through trigger expandability)
-Ability to loop effects and trigger samples and run backing tracks/click tracks

I've done a fair amount of research on both the Yamaha DTX multi12 and the Roland SPD-SX, but I would appreciate opinions from those of you that make use of them regularly.

The negative things I've heard about either one seem to be based solely on user preference, although there are a couple differentiating features I can't ignore:

Yamaha has the touch trigger (ie. you can play timpani sounds, and dampen them accurately). This would be SO useful in a live performance setting.

Roland has HUGE memory capacity (2GB vs. 16**MB** in the Yamaha?!...no comparison).

I have heard that the Roland SPD-SX has less impressive preset sounds, but I've also heard that the Yamaha trigger pads don't respond well for live playing.

I would really appreciate any and all thought on this comparison, because I plan to make a purchase before our next season and implement the new toy.

Cheers everyone,
Dan Baerg
Old 09-30-2012, 07:22 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: SPD-SX or DTX Multi-12

I chose the Roland over the Yamaha for its ram, and general ease of use. I jumped right into the on-screen menus with no problem, while the Yamaha is completely foreign to me and would require studying the manual. That's not necessarily a deal-breaker, but being able to use a unit without referring to the manual is a plus for me.

I also recall something about the Yamaha sample playback length having a limit, while the Roland will apparently play any length you care to load. That was another point in Roland's favor. With 2GB of ram, you can have almost 4 hours of stereo sounds in CD quality (16/44.1)

True, the internal Roland sounds are pretty pedestrian, I don't actually use any of them. All of the samples I trigger are my own.

I know that the Roland does looping, and it's also a sampler, but I don't use that stuff. It's just playback for me: load samples, hit pads, hear sounds. And it does that very well.

Bermuda
Old 10-04-2012, 03:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaerg View Post

... I've also heard that the Yamaha trigger pads don't respond well for live playing...

Not sure what you mean by that. I've got a DTX-M12. Some people don't like the feel of the pads, but that's personal preference. The parameters to set up your triggering are pretty extensive, so you should be able to get them to respond to your playing style.

I'd say if your main concern is sampling and sample playback, go with the spd-sx.

Download both manuals. give them a look over to see which one has the features you want, and then go try them both before you decide.

The spd-sx wasn't available when I got the M12, but I'm pretty sure I would have gotten the M12 anyways. I also have an SPD-30 (no sampling), but I tend to use the M12 a lot more.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:16 PM

I have a question regarding the Yamaha dtx multi-12 pad....is it compatible with the Roland drum triggers like the roland KD7 kick pad & the PD8 trigger pads?
Old 12-30-2013, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CURTCALLI614 View Post
I have a question regarding the Yamaha dtx multi-12 pad....is it compatible with the Roland drum triggers like the roland KD7 kick pad & the PD8 trigger pads?
With my M12 and SPD-30 some stuff is compatible, some stuff doesn't work at all, and some does in part.
Hi hat pedals don't interchange. Kick drum pads are pretty universal, as are single zone pads.
Pads and cymbals that have more than one zone are pretty iffy. Usually always the main pad works, but the 2nd or 3rd zones might need to be modified to work.