DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 12-23-2013, 07:12 AM

Default Roland TD-12's bass drum pad/patch sticker OK?

Hi everyone,

I bought a Roland TD-12 drum set and read that sometimes the white electronic drum pads can get dirty due to dust. I heard that drum pedal beaters can turn a bass drum pad dark/dirty. I was thinking about placing a bass pedal pad/patch sticker where the beaters hit to prevent this. Howrver, does the negatively affect the sensors?

If not, do you recommend a certain sticker brand? There is "Evans" which is well known, and "Aquarius" brand is said to be "super thin." Does anybody this matter? Are stickers a bad idea because removing them may leave residue?

Thanks drummers.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:17 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Roland TD-12's bass drum pad/patch sticker OK?

Thats a pretty good question. I used an evans patch on my yamaha dtx500 express kick pad and there were no adverse effects or impact to the triggering sensitivity. Granted my kick pad is different than yours, but I'm familiar with what you have ( I use one at a friends place) and I suspect there will be no issues.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:20 PM

No issues with triggering the bass drum while using a patch. However, many people have had issues with having the patch stick to the mesh head. I believe many recommend the Remo Falam Slam because it sticks toe the mesh the best.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:56 AM

I used a Falam Slam for a while, for the purpose of protecting the mesh head as well as the felt beaters. After a few months the edges began to peel loose. It took some effort to pull it completely off, so although the edges were peeling slightly it wasn't really going to come loose.

The patch, while quite thick, did not affect triggering at all, but I didn't like the increased volume from the beaters on the patch compared to the quieter mesh head. The Falam Slam does help tame unwanted oversensitive rebound, without actually affecting rebound negatively.

I'm currently just covering the head with a t-shirt while I consider what patch I want to try next.