DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 10-27-2013, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member

Default David Byrne: 'The internet will suck all creative content out of the world'

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...-content-world
Old 10-27-2013, 12:58 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: David Byrne: 'The internet will suck all creative content out of the world'

A superb article & insight.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: David Byrne: 'The internet will suck all creative content out of the world'

And for the sake of balance, here's another perspective I just read:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...ify-thom-yorke
Old 10-27-2013, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
And for the sake of balance, here's another perspective I just read:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...ify-thom-yorke
Yeah, Bob Lefsetz talks about this all the time. Artists like Byrner and people in the music industry are living in the past. There's no stopping the new markets.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks! GREAT read.
The old saying "there is no free lunch" still rings true. Sure you can get all your film and music for free nowadays, but the cost is all coming down the road.....sucking dry all the forces of those who create it.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:34 AM

Because Radiohead is so creative right?
Old 10-29-2013, 05:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Yeah, Bob Lefsetz talks about this all the time. Artists like Byrner and people in the music industry are living in the past. There's no stopping the new markets.
Its true, the model of the past is just that, but one wonders what are the new markets? Who will they pay out to? According to Byrnes calculations, not the musicians, and ultimately (new) artists cannot live or produce on no income.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:29 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
According to Byrnes calculations, not the musicians, and ultimately (new) artists cannot live or produce on no income.
Some artists must be making an income - the makers of the plastic pop that people seem to want. There gap between mainstream and independent seems to be widening.

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Old 10-29-2013, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member

Great read!

There was alot to agree with there - but what I found troubling was people who complain about these artists as "whiners" or that say "true artists want to share what they have with everybody" - on the one hand I suppose I can understand that, but on the other hand, if my way of putting food on the table and keeping a roof over my head was my artistry, I'd be concerned about continuing to get paid a fair wage.

And it isn't just songwriters, what about those of us who play drums for a living, or a partial living? Isn't that artistry too? Unless you've ever been in the position of actually making a good income from what you love, I doubt you'd understand what is at stake, hence these people labeling artists as whiners, right?

I don't know, its a tough call, but I know I wouldn't be displaying any artistry if I had to get a job to make ends meet.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:36 AM
Platinum Member

Lots of truth, but Byrne clearly has no clue on one pint.

he says:
Quote:
I also don't understand the claim of discovery that Spotify makes; the actual moment of discovery in most cases happens at the moment when someone else tells you about an artist or you read about them – not when you're on the streaming service listening to what you have read about (though Spotify does indeed have a "discovery" page that, like Pandora's algorithm, suggests artists you might like)
There is more to this, and Byrne sells this one aspect short.
Every band page on Spotify has a "Related artists" button that will give a page full of bands that are actually similar in style to whatever you are listening to. I have discovered many, many new bands this way. This aspect is not like Pandora's algorithm. It's more like a record store grouping bands by sound.

And in addition to there is indeed a discovery page, which is more algorithm based.
Quote:
I'd be even more curious if the folks who "discover" music on these services then go on to purchase it.
I have. Many times. If I like the band/album enough, I will buy my own copy to have it.

And yes, there have been many albums I was interested in that I did not buy because I heard it on Spotify and decided I wasn't really into it. But there have been bands/albums I had never heard of before, that I discovered via Spotify's "related artists" that I did go out and buy the album, and began to follow said band.

Quote:
I manage to check stuff out without using these services. I'll go directly to an artist's website, or Bandcamp, or even Amazon –
Slight hypocrisy there. If you listen to track on this methods, no one is getting paid, It's all free. How is listening to a free song different than listening to a free song? At least with Spotify, the band might get a penny. Simply going to the bands website means the band gets nothing.

Quote:
Are these services evil? Are they simply a legalised version of file-sharing sites such as Napster and Pirate Bay – with the difference being that with streaming services the big labels now get hefty advances?
Spotify may be evil, but at least it pays towards artists, where as file sharing does not.

When my band gets listened to on Spotify, I eventually get a penny. OK, that's no much. And I have to wait until I get $20 worth to get paid. It's sad. On the other, people are listening to me. I'm not on a record label. No one is promoting my band. It's just there.

The other aspect is I often use Spotify to listen to things at work that I already own at home. Because it beats carrying the album from home. So in fact, some bands are getting paid twice by me, once for the album purchase, and again for listening to it via Spotify.

I do get his overall point. I really do. But as he said:
Quote:
I don't have an answer. I wish I could propose something besides what we've heard before
And this is what it comes down to. You say it's bad, you can wish it away, but it's here.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:05 AM
Silver Member

Technology is evil when in evil hands...which is becoming more and more. Regardless, a good book helps ease the pain. ;)
Old 10-30-2013, 04:22 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Slight hypocrisy there. If you listen to track on this methods, no one is getting paid, It's all free. How is listening to a free song different than listening to a free song?
You don't listen to complete songs on Amazon, just a sample. Definitely enough to tell whether it's something you would want to purchase.

What everyone seems to be missing here is that there is a LOT of money changing hands thanks to music. The problem is that it isn't going where it is SUPPOSED to go.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Living in the past? I think it's you who are living in the past. The DISTANT past.

There is a lot of money going to the WRONG people. The only thing allowing this is legislation that is "living in the past" and governments who refuse to enforce existing laws.

Believe me, if there was a will, this problem would be solved immediately.

Apple, Spotify, Pandora, Facebook, Google, YouTube ALL need to pay up, and pay up BIG. None of them would exist if it weren't for all the content that they refuse to pay A FAIR PERCENTAGE for. NONE OF THEM.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming sort of person View Post
You don't listen to complete songs on Amazon, just a sample. Definitely enough to tell whether it's something you would want to purchase.
On Amazon, yes.

But on the artist website, band camp, and such, you usually get an entire song.

Many bands stream there entire new albums on their sites or such for a few days FOR free.
If I listen to the legal stream, provided by the band/record company, for FREE, I get the whole album to judge if I want to listen to it again.

In the end, not much different.

Quote:
Apple, Spotify, Pandora, Facebook, Google, YouTube ALL need to pay up, and pay up BIG. None of them would exist if it weren't for all the content that they refuse to pay A FAIR PERCENTAGE for. NONE OF THEM.
Technically, true. I won't disagree.

But that is what was always said about the labels too. They take the vast percentage of the money from album sales, and then expense every last penny it took to make said album against the small percentage the artist was supposed to get. Long before the internet, plenty of bands signed record deals, sold thousands of albums, and were still broke. For every artist that sold a million records on a major label, there were a dozen more who's albums got made but never promoted, and ended up in the 99 cent bin, or just shelved all together.

The music business has never been fair. The Beatles got ripped off on the rights to their own songs. The Who had financial issues their entire career due to bad contracts they signed when they were young. And on and on.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:06 AM
Gold Member

Artists will always make art.

Azzhats will always prey on whomever they can.

...and so it is....
Old 10-31-2013, 06:06 PM
Silver Member

The one major grouse I have about the internet is file sharing. It's become so common place to just download a torrent, that people are no longer supporting people that produce art. Or software.

But the same thing can't be done with a car or a refrigerator or a television. People are scared to steal cars and fridges. They don't think twice about digitised content because it's not a physical commodity.

I keep hearing the same arguments: the record industry is cheating the artists, artists make more money from touring, artists should starve for their art.

But the fact is that people like free stuff. And it's sad, when everyone praises capitalism, that they would go berserk if their favourite band decided to have a limited release on a proprietary format that they couldn't download. The same guys that are stealing the maximum from musicians and software companies are the guys that are putting out dozens of crap online records, polishing their turd with stolen plugins.

Offer free stuff and people will be killing each other in the line so that they can get more than their fair share. Tell them they can steal it for free when it has a price tag and they'll become Communists.

I also think the dig at Radiohead was uncalled for. I think it was great the way they released an album online and asked people to pay whatever they liked. It reminds of something similar done by Nine Inch Nails, when they released an entire album for free.

You know what? It was soon packaged as a torrent for people to leech off. Disgusting.

It'll take legislation alright. And I'm all for it, as unpopular as that might be in the minds of the masses. I think of it as protection of a minority.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:15 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Technically, true. I won't disagree.

But that is what was always said about the labels too. They take the vast percentage of the money from album sales, and then expense every last penny it took to make said album against the small percentage the artist was supposed to get. Long before the internet, plenty of bands signed record deals, sold thousands of albums, and were still broke.
The artist would usually get a large advance against future profits, and they would never have to repay that advance if sales never recouped that money. I'm not saying record labels were always fair, but many used to "develop" artists, and lose money in the process, while they made their bread and butter off of their big sellers.

The current system is ENTIRELY skewed such that the artist will always lose.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming sort of person View Post
The artist would usually get a large advance against future profits, and they would never have to repay that advance if sales never recouped that money..
Thats not what I ever read. The debt would pile into the next record.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Silver Member

Recoupment is one of the sad things about the small print in record contracts.

But with the way album sales have fallen as a result of digital piracy, can you blame them if they want to make sure they don't lose money. The way things are now, even if you are a super-famous and recognised artist, it might not be on account of record sales.

Plus, being seen on TV and heard on the radio are a big part of getting a band exposed to a larger audience. It costs money.

The way things are right now, I wouldn't be surprised if there are software programmes designed to infiltrate computers and maximise hits on specific videos/web pages. I mean, it's almost as if careers are made and broken on the internet. And it doesn't have anything to do with quality of music.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
The debt would pile into the next record.
That would depend on the particular contract, but not always. Usually, if the record didn't sell well, or if they lost a lot of money on it, they would just drop the act.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:52 PM
Gold Member

I remember reading an article by Derek Roddy in Drum magazine about this.................going to have to look through my old issues and see if I can find it.

He basically spelled out that music, historically, has always been free..................that only changed relatively recently......................where "rock stars" became millionaires. For centuries, it was something that people did for community entertainment, celebrations, etc.

He also outlined several ways to augment income from music, through teaching, other hobbies, etc. It was a great, down to earth, article.............going to look for it tonight
Old 11-03-2013, 12:34 AM
Renegade

This quote caught my eye:

“The markets for housing, automobiles, music, books, and many other products show a common trend: Younger consumers opting to rent or subscribe to pay-per-use arrangements instead of buying and owning the physical products. Shared facilities will overtake established offices, renting units will become more common than owning a home, and sales of books and music might never become popular again.” From “Consumption 2.0,” by Hugo Garcia, January–February, 2013.

http://www.slate.com/articles/techno...nd_more.2.html:

It suggests that renting music is the future - maybe subscriptions? A rented download is long way from the presence and excitement of first getting a big vinyl disc, LP cover art, and fold outs with lyrics and blurb (though you can Google most of those things).

Looking back further, listening to an LP was a long way from singing around the piano too. Once again people won't be able to own music (for different reasons, of course) but have ready means to create it at home, although as an individual rather than family group. Music ownership and the audience / performer dynamic seem to be cyclical.

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Old 11-03-2013, 12:51 AM
Platinum Member

The other aspect that plays into this is supply and demand.

There is a bigger supply of music than there is a demand for it.

There is a bigger supply of music than there is time in the day to listen to it all.

Which drives down market price.

Which along with, as Byrne noted, there are a lot of bands/artists who have no problem with the current system of the youtubes and spotify's, etc.

So as much as I might think the current system is flawed, as there is no consensus among musicians themselves.

As as long as there are young bands who will do anything to get noticed, it will feed the current thought process of cheap music on the net.

Youtube is now 7 years old. Which means the average young adult starting a garage band right now doesn't much recall life before free music on the net.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Youtube is now 7 years old. Which means the average young adult starting a garage band right now doesn't much recall life before free music on the net.
Great point. For sure, 'old days, old ways' are gone. One aspect I do like about the 'new era', is all bands, famous old and not-as-famous new, have to get out and play to make a living form live performances.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:02 PM

The genie is out of the bottle.

Ironic that a lot of older artists had the same criticisms about MTV and music videos back in the day. The Talking Heads hit their commercial peak in the golden age of MTV.

I like Bryne's music, and I am glad that he had the support network around him to help deliver his art to the masses. Today, that network is not as necessary, and I like having all the choices available to me as opposed to listening to what the record companies choose for me to listen to.

One constant in this discussion is that professional musicians have always made their money on the road.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickVandeven View Post
The genie is out of the bottle.

Ironic that a lot of older artists had the same criticisms about MTV and music videos back in the day. The Talking Heads hit their commercial peak in the golden age of MTV.
This is a good point. MTV didn't pay artists for their music either. Videos were considered promotional material. And yet, Byrne made his money via giving away his music on MTV.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member

These are indeed interesting reads along with many of the shared views and opinions of you all.

Business models change all the time - regardless of product. Not much is built or delivered today to the consumer exactly as it was 25 years ago. Music business is no different.

As artists, many may not hold a balanced view on the topic. We may mostly see if from the artist side. If we only worked on the business side, there's a good chance we'd only see it from that lens.

One things for certain, the model has changed and will continue to do so as it has for TV, Radio, Books, Magazines, Movies, Phones and various other forms of technology up to and including home computers. Adapt or become a fossil.

Personally speaking, I'm used to participating mostly in a music the majority of people have shunned since the 50's. Even to that point only a few of those musicians made big money from it, but some certainly did and even thereafter.

I could express my own personal views of mainstream popular music and where we are, but not to offend anyone, I'll keep my opinions to myself.

This couldn't be more true ..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
This quote caught my eye:

“The markets for housing, automobiles, music, books, and many other products show a common trend: Younger consumers opting to rent or subscribe to pay-per-use arrangements instead of buying and owning the physical products. Shared facilities will overtake established offices, renting units will become more common than owning a home, and sales of books and music might never become popular again.” From “Consumption 2.0,” by Hugo Garcia, January–February, 2013.

http://www.slate.com/articles/techno...nd_more.2.html:

It suggests that renting music is the future - maybe subscriptions? A rented download is long way from the presence and excitement of first getting a big vinyl disc, LP cover art, and fold outs with lyrics and blurb (though you can Google most of those things).

Looking back further, listening to an LP was a long way from singing around the piano too. Once again people won't be able to own music (for different reasons, of course) but have ready means to create it at home, although as an individual rather than family group. Music ownership and the audience / performer dynamic seem to be cyclical.
This as well.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by longgun View Post
I remember reading an article by Derek Roddy in Drum magazine about this.................going to have to look through my old issues and see if I can find it.

He basically spelled out that music, historically, has always been free..................that only changed relatively recently......................where "rock stars" became millionaires. For centuries, it was something that people did for community entertainment, celebrations, etc.

He also outlined several ways to augment income from music, through teaching, other hobbies, etc. It was a great, down to earth, article.............going to look for it tonight
Old 11-09-2013, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickVandeven View Post

One constant in this discussion is that professional musicians have always made their money on the road.
With several notable exceptions - Steely Dan (Fagen, Becker), Randy Newman; even John Lennon post-Beatles....many more of whom almost never went on the road, but became wealthy from songwriting royalties only.

I can't imagine what the new business models mean for songwriters-only.....I guess they get out and gig now.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:33 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
One things for certain, the model has changed and will continue to do so as it has for TV, Radio, Books, Magazines, Movies, Phones and various other forms of technology up to and including home computers. Adapt or become a fossil.
I agree David, we cannot do much about changes and new technologies... only to take it as it comes and use whatever we feel is right for us.

I say it actually open our eyes on "creative contents" in this world, without this technologies, we'll still be in our narrow little world.

Also the fact that we can "chat" altogether here on DW and share our playing and music at the click of a few buttons is nothing short of wonderful.

... and this is now, God knows what the future holds... but we'll adapt to it, that I'm sure.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member

If 1m plays on pandora yields $17 for the artist (and that's very sad), I wonder what pandora take.

I didn't read that Derek Roddy article but from what was said I think the same way. The 20th century were the golden years for succesful bands but I think those years corrupted music and gave us today's horrible pop. And I think the Internet is so saturated with everything that trying to find success there is almost a waste of time.

The concept of so many people listening to the same rendition of the same song, by the same artist, concerts of grand scale and even the concept of an album is an invention and are artificial and so they can falter.

I don't listen to any radio and I won't own a tv because I find the amount of advertising offensive and embarrassing and don't understand how people just sit there and take it. If plenty more people were like me I think this marketing bubble might burst and we might see a more genuine pop culture but I'm not paying any attention.
I don't have spotify but I discover music on youtube, but audio quality isn't great so it doesn't end there. I download music to a point but once I've fallen for a band I will buy their albums the day they come out, rip them on my pc and put them in my cupboard. I'm supporting them and maybe part of me thinks I'm playing a part in the "natural selection" of music.

Nothing really original but there's my 2c.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
The concept of so many people listening to the same rendition of the same song, by the same artist, concerts of grand scale and even the concept of an album is an invention and are artificial and so they can falter.
I think this is kind of hard to accept, but a very valid point from a greater perspective.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member

I don't believe in any economic system based on the creation and enforcement of artificial scarcity (e.g. diamonds, oil etc). Prohibiting the free sharing of music on the internet is the same thing. Once recorded music was imprisoned on physical media and the finite supply of that media, controlled by a handful of influential people, was what created the demand. Maintaining that scarcity is holding back the natural progress brought about by new technology, and it's equivalent in my mind to subsidizing the steam engine industry when demand started to tail off. It's backward-looking and serves the interests of a minority of people at the expense of the majority, and that is unjust and simply wrong.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

I keep reading articles from various artists saying "I had x-number of listens on spotify, but all I got was x-cents".

And I so sympathize. I don't think the general public has any clue how expensive it is to make music. I've lost tons of money on recordings myself.

But on the other hand, I also think, but under the old system, where you only heard new music if it was on the radio or someone gave you a mix tape, how many of these artists would even be known? Most would just be complete unknowns with no outlet for their music.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQleyR View Post
I don't believe in any economic system based on the creation and enforcement of artificial scarcity (e.g. diamonds, oil etc). Prohibiting the free sharing of music on the internet is the same thing. Once recorded music was imprisoned on physical media and the finite supply of that media, controlled by a handful of influential people, was what created the demand. Maintaining that scarcity is holding back the natural progress brought about by new technology, and it's equivalent in my mind to subsidizing the steam engine industry when demand started to tail off. It's backward-looking and serves the interests of a minority of people at the expense of the majority, and that is unjust and simply wrong.
Please explain how an artificial scarcity of diamonds and oil has been created. AFAIK there is a finite amount of both of these things in the earth's crust.

Putting music (or movies or written stories) on physical media does not create demand. It controls supply - as long as you have enforceable copyright laws - but it does not create demand. Demand is people wanting stuff, which is a different concept entirely. And even if supply of David Byrne CD's is limited to say 20 copies of the CD, there are a range of substitutes available, ranging from other artists' CD's to home made music to non-music leisure activities.

The free market system works for most goods and services because if somebody can produce something cheaper than their competitors they will take business from their competitors. It's not perfect, but it's less imperfect than anything else that's been tried.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
Please explain how an artificial scarcity of diamonds and oil has been created. AFAIK there is a finite amount of both of these things in the earth's crust.
It's nothing to do with the amount in existence, it's about controlling the supply through the creation of cartels (see here and here for the examples I gave)

Quote:
Putting music (or movies or written stories) on physical media does not create demand. It controls supply - as long as you have enforceable copyright laws - but it does not create demand. Demand is people wanting stuff, which is a different concept entirely. And even if supply of David Byrne CD's is limited to say 20 copies of the CD, there are a range of substitutes available, ranging from other artists' CD's to home made music to non-music leisure activities.
You're right, perhaps I should say it inflates demand by ensuring it can only be acquired by certain means. And while there's alternatives in terms of entertainment they're not directly comparable...I mean, you could just as easily say a bicycle is an alternative to a car in a discussion of sales of vehicles since you can travel by either, but one can't replace the other.

Quote:
The free market system works for most goods and services because if somebody can produce something cheaper than their competitors they will take business from their competitors. It's not perfect, but it's less imperfect than anything else that's been tried.
I agree, and it would probably work a lot better if people stopped trying to mess it up with protectionist legislation or subsidies.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:53 PM

Interesting thread. As a matter of fact 'm reading David Byrne's book How Music Works (I definitely recommend it -- it really is the exact opposite of an old fart writing about how everything used to be better!) and there is a chapter about making money in music. Interestingly, Byrne mentions a long list of musicians that went bankrupt during their career, because producing a record used to be such an investment. Today the investment is lower than ever and I can't understand that many musicians don't see the opportunity. Distributing information has never been so easy and cheap. Any musician can now break through to a worldwide audience through youtube. We can skip all these middle men. The only thing is how to redefine the business model now that copying has become so easy and cheap. You can only ask so much for a copy, or people will make their own. Everyone struggles with that same problem: newspapers, books editors and bookstores, etc etc. but at the same time I think it's an opportunity for the content creators themselves. There is and will be more diversity than ever and it is easier than ever to break through as a musician, writer, etc - of course only if you have something very special to offer, that has not changed. But you will have to be your own record company and not everyone is clever at that.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:36 AM

“The music business is a cruel and shallow money
trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and
pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
There's also a negative side.” - Hunter S. Thompson

Peace, MT
Old 12-25-2013, 05:43 PM

Music that is commercially released by professional artists is like any other product in the market and taking/consuming it without paying for it and without the artist's consent is theft.

If I could download my food from the internet, would it be ok to say "Mr. farmer, thank you for all the expense and labor to grow this food, but I will just take this bushel of apples off your hands for free"?

I wish I could download a house and never have to pay mortgage or rent!

Wouldn't it to be nice to download a set of cymbals for free?!

If you think these are absurd thoughts, then why isn't it equally absurd to take and use works of art without paying?

I am shocked by the public's feeling of entitlement over art because technology allows us to steal it. If artists want to give away their music for promotional purposes, it is fine, but for public to lay claim on their entire body of work without consent is wrong. I guess I did not get the memo that copyright and trademark are obsolete concepts now.

I am not coming from a capitalist perspective. But short of utopia, we do live in a society where we have to pay for things. Furniture or music, the people who create it should be paid so they can continue to live and create.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taye-Dyed View Post
I wish I could download a house and never have to pay mortgage or rent!
LOL :)
Old 12-26-2013, 12:27 AM
Silver Member

This thread could turn down an interesting road on how we personally feel about patents and property rights. I suppose it already has. :)