DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 12-14-2013, 08:47 AM

Default Yamaha dd65 - comfortable enough to play?

Ive been looking to own one since i cant play My acoustic set at night because i live in a apartment but i looked up the yamha dd65 since im tight on money and space but it looks kinda small and the pads seem too close to eachother i also was disspointed on pedals but ive got replacements already...so is it comfortable to play?
Old 12-19-2013, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Yamaha dd65 - comfortable enough to play?

Comfort is relative but I used to have the DD-50 so I can help a little bit. These entry-level one-piece controllers force you to look what you are doing and aim your sticks accurately. And they force you to play properly from the wrist with finger control and not flail away like a gorilla holding tree branches. In fact this exercise makes you a much more controlled player when you get back behind the big drums.

The issue of course is the kick pedal. It is a simple switch and does not simulate dynamically playing an actual pedal with springs etc, and there are no hard and soft hits on that switch. Similarly the hi-hat pedal is open or closed with nothing in between, so you have to adapt how you play your hi hat.

With the DD-50 the hollow plastic body made it a loud thing to play at home and I do not know of the DD-65 has improved upon that. Probably not too much because it still has speakers etc., meaning it is still a hollow plastic box.

But if you have a drum throne and a good stand, the DD-65 will be as physically comfortable as a snare drum.

If your budget is not as restricted as how much noise you can make, then look at the DrumKAT DK-10 with a mid-range Yamaha or Roland module or computer VST's as the sound source, and perhaps a Trigerra Krigg as the kick trigger and any hi-hat controller pedal.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Yamaha dd65 - comfortable enough to play?

Hey,

I've actually owned this kit and just sold it off like three weeks back, I wrote a review on them on my electronic drum kit website, it might help you out.

Check it out here if you're interested.

Still one of the best electronic drum pads I've owned, can recommend them.

Cheers!