DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 12-20-2013, 08:49 PM

Default custom sounds for my ecymbals?

I'm about to buy an Alesis DM 10 X to gig with because my Gretsch kit is just to big, bulky, and awkward to set up. I'll be using my analog snare and cymbals, what I'm wondering is were to get custom sounds to put in my module for my ecymbals? How long a sample can i put in? (2/3/4 seconds with decay). I want animal sounds, (growls, roars, howls), explosions, howling wind and storms, motorcycle/car engine sounds. I think I transfer these sounds from my computer to my module? Where do I get the sounds from?
Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:03 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: custom sounds for my ecymbals?

I think you have to plug the brain into a separate computer that goes to the pads if you want custom sounds.

I would look at Neil Pearts set up.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPockets View Post
I think you have to plug the brain into a separate computer that goes to the pads if you want custom sounds.

I would look at Neil Pearts set up.
Thanks for the reply MrPockets a seperate computer would be a bit of a hassle and kind of disappointing I was hoping I could just put them directly into the brain.

When you say Neil Peart, THE Neil Peart of Rush? I've read his books, he loves motorcycles like I do, I didn't know he used electronic drums, I'll check that out for sure.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:33 AM

Peart uses Roland TD-30 Module on stage. You can't load your own samples onto a V Drum module.

You can on Yamaha or MBOX 2

Or look at a Octopad or similar sampling pad.

Why roars or motorcycle noises too? Most of those gimmick sounds are put on to fill up a module
Old 12-23-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spides666 View Post
Peart uses Roland TD-30 Module on stage. You can't load your own samples onto a V Drum module.

You can on Yamaha or MBOX 2

Or look at a Octopad or similar sampling pad.

Why roars or motorcycle noises too? Most of those gimmick sounds are put on to fill up a module
The reason I want to buy the Alesis DM 10 is so I can put in my own custom sounds, I'm putting together a weird band, bass and drums, where we'll sequence a phrase at the beginning of the piece and basically solo over it until we're bored, the bass will be a low and a high register with effects, no vocals, no set structure. There's a Rancid song where they use a cat snarl every second snare hit, and it really sets a cool atmosphere. I like the idea of using nature and engine sounds to do that too, it's just something I haven't done before. I want to use an electric kit for ease of giging and travelling and do things I can't do with my regular kit, a module's a good idea but I'ld rather use my electric cymbals for custom sounds and use my analog cymbals for cymbals.