DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > DrummerWorld Site News

DrummerWorld Site News What's New at DrummerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-06-2006, 04:43 PM
TalkShowMan's Avatar
TalkShowMan TalkShowMan is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Belfast, Norn Iron
Posts: 14
Default Serious Omission - Where's Dennis Wilson?

Hi, this is my first post. Greetings from Belfast. Have been a long time viewer of the site, kudos to all involved in making it a one stop resource for the truly modern drummer.

Anyway, the subject of my first post is this; where is Dennis Wilson (no jokes please).
Couldn't help but noticing that a genuinely inspirational and influential drummer is't listed on the drummerworld roll-call. Any chance he could be put up here someday soon? I can give a long list of reasons why he should be here, but for now suffice it so say..."DENNIS ROCKS".

Discuss
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-06-2006, 05:06 PM
TitanSound's Avatar
TitanSound TitanSound is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,228
Default Re: Serious Omission - Where's Dennis Wilson?

He is on the DrummerWorld Wishlist

And welcome to the forums!!!
__________________
"Sometimes I wake up at night and wonder where the hell the worlds going too"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-06-2006, 05:12 PM
TalkShowMan's Avatar
TalkShowMan TalkShowMan is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Belfast, Norn Iron
Posts: 14
Default Re: Serious Omission - Where's Dennis Wilson?

Ahhh, wishlist you say... I obviously don't know this site as well as I thought I did. Thanks for the reply.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-06-2006, 05:59 PM
jstorey4 jstorey4 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 62
Default Re: Serious Omission - Where's Dennis Wilson?

I'm a huge Beach Boys fan. Dennis was not the greatest drummer, but did have a lot of natural talent. I mean, he was doing studio work and touring with only a year or two of experience. His solo album is pretty amazing. He also is never credited for being one of the first's to play "open handed".
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-15-2007, 04:56 PM
riddim riddim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 29
Default Re: Serious Omission - Where's Dennis Wilson?

With all due respect, I"m not sure how serious that omission is.

I saw Dennis with the Beach Boys on Shindig and elsewhere back in the day, and my overwhelming impression was that playing drum set with any degree of skill was not his thing. Nothing has crossed my vision to change that, unfortunately.

To the best of my knowledge , all the Beach Boys hits were recorded by Hal Blaine, earl Palmer, Jim Gordon, or a combination thereof. Hal's bio goes into this in detail.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-27-2007, 12:48 PM
Skynman Skynman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Mexico USA
Posts: 126
Default Re: Serious Omission - Where's Dennis Wilson?

Start a thread about Dennis Wilson on the drummers page and see what the rest of the members have to say! I looked and did not see one about him who knows it may generate some interest? As far as the Beach Boys goes I like their sound and thought the drumming was fine!
__________________
Skynman!
"It's all about stick control with the least amount of arm movement."
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-30-2007, 09:31 AM
BellsOfRhymney's Avatar
BellsOfRhymney BellsOfRhymney is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 200
Default Re: Serious Omission - Where's Dennis Wilson?

He was great on live tapes I've seen ...great natural feel.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-05-2007, 06:29 PM
nickg's Avatar
nickg nickg is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sharon PA, USA
Posts: 597
Default Re: Serious Omission - Where's Dennis Wilson?

yes, hal blaine did most of the beach boys tracks in the studio. i'm not sure how many, if any, that dennis wilson actually did for the most part. so it's kinda hard to judge how good of a drummer he really was just by watching tv reruns of him playing along with pre-recorded tapes.
__________________
Mapex Pro-M kit
Paiste Cymbals
Attack Heads
Yamaha Stands and Pedals
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-04-2011, 05:44 PM
chrisnope chrisnope is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7
Default Re: Serious Omission - Where's Dennis Wilson?

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum but had to respond in some fashion to this old thread regarding Dennis Wilson. 1st off the fact that Dennis Wilson didnt play on studio recordings is a massive myth. I also think that the overwhelming attitude towards his drumming (he's been called a basher) has more to do with his brother Brian's attitude than anything else. Dennis played on alot more Beach Boys material and hits than you might realize.

He played on pretty much everything on their 1st four or five albums but did NOT play drums on "Surfin USA." song.He did however play on: "Don't Worry Baby," Surfin Safari," "Surfer Girl," "Wendy," "Do it again" " I can hear music" "Got to know the woman" and many, many more. The fact is he WAS the drummer in the beach boys. In later years, basically from 1977 on is when his drumming really began to suffer due to substance abuse problems just like Keith Moon. One only has to view later Who material to see that literally Keith could not play anymore, Dennis' talents suffered similarly.

Alot of people simply don't think Dennis is a good drummer. But I on the other hand disagree. In fact the early albums/hits that he played on are very good. They all have distinct hooks minus tons of fills.To this day I find it kinda strange that Ringo Starr is worshipped but Dennis (who in many ways was a similar self taught drummer) is never mentioned.

After 1967 he can also be heard on plenty of BB's material and this stuff shows off his drumming best of all. From 1967-1977 is when his drumming was at it's best due to plenty of road work. He however, took his songwriting most seriously and this talent including all the songs he lent to the BB's as well as his "Pacific Ocean Blue" album are incredible artistic contributions. As a drummer for 25 yrs of both tons of live and studio work I think I'm a pretty good judge of a drummer and I happen to like Dennis' drumming. It's not perfect, but then again he never took it seriously enough to make it that way. He has interesting phrasing and creshendos that he relied on, probably because he played 'open handed' although he was right handed.

Most of all- he endorsed Camco drums and up until 1975 he is ALWAYS seen playing either a Camco or a Rogers kit. He almost always used a Rogers Dynasonic snare-thus he had fantastic taste in drum gear. For anyone looking to judge Dennis' for themselves I'd suggest: The Beach Boys lost Concert which can be seen on youtube from 1964. And some parts of The Beach Boys Live at Knebworth from 1980. Albums to listen to- any of their 1st four proper albums as well as "Sunflower," "20-20" and the strangely interesting "Love You" from 1977.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-22-2012, 08:19 PM
Bernhard's Avatar
Bernhard Bernhard is offline
Founder Drummerworld
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Riehen - Basel - Switzerland
Posts: 2,098
Default Re: Serious Omission - Where's Dennis Wilson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookadams View Post
Anyone who knows anything about drums who would dismiss Dennis Wilson for any reason is a poseur. Dennis Wilson was the reason I picked up a pair of drumsticks!! Technicality doesn't mean shit, his "open-handed" style is something that hardly any drummer could do! He had the talent, looks, style- everything!!! He was the greatest rock star that ever lived and it didn't matter that he wasn't technical. I don't give a rats ass about Pert or Bonham or any other "drum icon". I learned everything I need to know from Dennis Wilson, Marky Ramone Hal Blaine, Dusty Watson and Bill Stevenson! I don't waste my time on prog-jazz, metal or whatever bullshit that people misconceive as motivational for being a real musician or percussionist. And from what I've seen and been told Dennis used Camco and Rogers throughout the 60s, Zickos in the 70s and played a Yamaha in his last years- if someone has information of otherwise I would like to know.
-joshthekook@gmail.com
facebook.com/kookadams
Just let me know, on which tracks he really played, so i can check out. The Live appearances were not impressive to say the least.

Bernhard
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-24-2012, 04:44 AM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venezuela.
Posts: 3,197
Default Re: Serious Omission - Where's Dennis Wilson?

That's fine! You stick with Wilson...
...I stick with Bonham, Paice, Phillips, Powell and Bill Ward.
__________________
Bomp, bomp, bomp, bomp, bomp, bomp... I feel free!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-24-2012, 05:20 AM
con struct's Avatar
con struct con struct is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lumpen post-industrial district
Posts: 2,062
Default Re: Serious Omission - Where's Dennis Wilson?

Dennis Wilson was who made me want to be a drummer.

My mother was always playing Beach Boys records, so when they came to town naturally she had to go. i was 11 at that time, this is back in the sixties.

So she brought me along to the concert, and the sight of Dennis Wilson hunched over his drums knocked me out. The sound of the ride cymbal, forget about it, that was it, I was to be a drummer.

I wish I could say that he was good or that he was bad, but that was so long ago that all I remember was Dennis Wilson in his striped Beach Boys shirt beating the hell out of those drums. You know, I can picture it to this day, quite vividly.

I don't think you could say that he was a bad drummer. He was very basic, I'll say that about him, and he and his brother Brian made it work for awhile.
__________________
Call me J
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 9,958
Default Re: Serious Omission - Where's Dennis Wilson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookadams View Post
Dennis was a great drummer because he got the job done! Drumming isn't about being fancy with fills or how well you can use a double-kick pedal- that's all horseshit!

Dennis was and will always be the reason I wanted to be a drummer. So what if he wasn't technical; he had the heart, the spirit, the charisma, and the legacy of being the greatest rock star that ever lived!

Drumming is about keeping the beat, holding the music together, but being a showoff and a douche-bag. Dennis Wilson was the REAL DEAL!!!
Agreed with respect as to what constitutes a great drummer. But that doesn't explain why if he was that good....even in terms of consistency, playing for the song and keeping steady time, heart, spirit and charisma......then why did they feel the need for Hal Blaine? Did he really get the job done at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookadams View Post
And for christ sake he was just as good if not better than ringo!!

if someone can disprove it, explain it to me-
joshthekook@gmail.com
Can neither prove nor disprove personal taste and only an idiot would try to. But it can certainly be explained why Blaine was used on so much of the Beach Boys most well known material. The Beatles certainly didn't call on his services. Instead of ranting and raving, let's discuss. Have a go at explaining that to me.
__________________
What's the best cape for running away from a gig?

Last edited by bermuda; 07-06-2012 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Deleted one expletive
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-07-2012, 08:54 PM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,654
Default Re: Serious Omission - Where's Dennis Wilson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Agreed with respect as to what constitutes a great drummer. But that doesn't explain why if he was that good....even in terms of consistency, playing for the song and keeping steady time, heart, spirit and charisma......then why did they feel the need for Hal Blaine? Did he really get the job done at all?



Can neither prove nor disprove personal taste and only an idiot would try to. But it can certainly be explained why Blaine was used on so much of the Beach Boys most well known material. The Beatles certainly didn't call on his services. Instead of ranting and raving, let's discuss. Have a go at explaining that to me.
I'll even go you one step further.Although I reguard Dennis as a good drummer,he dosen't come close in my opinion,to the groove,creativity,and musicallity of Ringos playing.I also agree with PFOG about using substitute drummers.The Beach Boys used drummers other than Dennis not just in the studio,but LIVE also.

I had the fortune of seeing the Beach Boys I guess at least 10 times over the years ,and on two of those occasions,Rickey Fatar,played MOST of the drum parts.One of those tours was with Chicago on the "Wishing You Were Here" tour.I think Dennis only played two or three tunes,but he always seemed to play "Fun Fun Fun"

As I said,I think he was a good drummer, but Carl,and especially Brian,required something more than just good."Pet Sounds","Smile,and especially Surfs Up,were and are masterpieces,that even inspired the Beatles to create an album that contained such amazing vocals and melodies.Just give Abbey Road a good listen.

Steve B
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-30-2012, 06:15 AM
ra1708 ra1708 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 40
Default Re: Serious Omission - Where's Dennis Wilson?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgDAp...eature=related
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-31-2012, 05:24 PM
The Old Hyde
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Serious Omission - Where's Dennis Wilson?

Hal Blaine....nuf said
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-19-2013, 12:08 PM
snico snico is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1
Default Re: Serious Omission - Where's Dennis Wilson?

Just felt I had to respond to this thread. Did you realise that Brian Wilson actually replaced *all* of the Beach Boys on Pet Sounds & Smile (including Good Vibrations) ... he basically got in a session band. So this was not a comment on Dennis' drumming ability, but rather more to do with Brian's musical/production ambitions (and also worth noting that Brian himself was not a virtuoso player - he played little on those recordings). Brian basically left the 'touring' band in about '65 so whilst Dennis et al. were on the road Brian was at home writing and recording - so logistics were a big factor. Also worth remembering that in the 60s it was common practice for record labels to get session players in to record (studio costs were high and session players had studio experience and could get the job done in one or two takes). For example Roger McGuinn was the only Byrd to play on their first album!

Something else worth remembering is that Dennis was a multi-instrumentalist and a songwriter. I also think that one of the strengths of the Beach Boys is that they weren't snobby about getting musicians in to help - for example Ricky Fataar in later line ups. This didn't mean Dennis wasn't doing anything - he was playing keys, singing and songwriting (listen to "Cuddle Up" ... awesome song!).

I my opinion classification of "great drummer" is so subjective to be meaningless. Dennis was not technically amasing ... however he was extremely talented as an all round musician and brought a level of feel to his performance that would be beyond many technically proficient drummers.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-21-2013, 03:10 PM
Drumsinhisheart's Avatar
Drumsinhisheart Drumsinhisheart is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SW VA
Posts: 476
Default Re: Serious Omission - Where's Dennis Wilson?

Funny how details can change a viewpoint or mindset. I found this a very interesting read.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Mcxnarf's Avatar
Mcxnarf Mcxnarf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 38
Default Re: Serious Omission - Where's Dennis Wilson?

Poor Dennis Wilson..born into a family with two very talented brothers...Brian & Carl...
Dennis could not play drums or hold time to save his life...in addition he had no voice. He was as they say "at the right place at the right time". Good for him!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-17-2013, 04:12 PM
RickVandeven's Avatar
RickVandeven RickVandeven is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Southeast Missouri
Posts: 61
Default Re: Serious Omission - Where's Dennis Wilson?

I don't know why Dennis Wilson doesn't get more love. Was he a great drummer? No, but he was good at what he did.

If it wasn't for Dennis Wilson, I probably would have never picked up the sticks. My dad is a huge Beach Boys fan. I remember listening to their music as a lad, and becoming a fan myself. As a matter of fact, the first concert I went to was the BB's in 1975 (the infamous "Brian's Back" tour), but I don't remember it because I was only 3.

The first time I really looked at a BB's album cover, I was suprised at how geeky they looked except Dennis. It sounds shallow, but he just looked really cool to me. Especially when posing beside Mike Love or Al Jardine.

Anyhow, looks were important in the age of KISS and disco. It was tough being a fan of a band who looked like a bunch of accountants (in their early days), and my dad and his brothers in the 70's.

Anyhow, I finally got to see live footage of the band, and Dennis made drumming look like fun. He was just back there wailing away, smiling, doing the Beatles' "head shake" before the Beatles hit the States. I wanted to be Dennis Wilson.

Later on, I heard his fantastic solo album, Pacific Ocean Blue, and realized what the Beach Boys could have been if they could have ever got out of the shadow of Brian and the "glory days" (who was in no shape to lead the band). I especially love Dennis' soulful voice. It just sounds genuine to me.

Anyhow, here is part 1 of a good Dennis Wilson documentary, The Real Beach Boy. I am sure that some of you have seen it, but for some of you naysayers, it may change your mind about the late, great Dennis Wilson - one of my favorite drummers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClBfaGPD0mI
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-25-2014, 06:33 PM
A-customs's Avatar
A-customs A-customs is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south new jersey
Posts: 560
Default

Luved the Beach Boys.Just curious Is there documented proof as to what drummer played on what songs by them??? I Know Hal Played on the Good Vibrations song because theres you tube footage of it.But there must be a copy of credits to who played on what???? Always wondered this.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI-jZfbDY48 He looks ok to me......
__________________
Yamaha,Ludwig. A Customs.

Last edited by Arky; 01-26-2014 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-25-2014, 06:54 PM
The Old Hyde
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Serious Omission - Where's Dennis Wilson?

lets say Dennis played on 100% of their albums....still doesn't rate a spot on here. just not anything going on really.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-06-2014, 01:13 AM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,654
Default Re: Serious Omission - Where's Dennis Wilson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-customs View Post
Luved the Beach Boys.Just curious Is there documented proof as to what drummer played on what songs by them??? I Know Hal Played on the Good Vibrations song because theres you tube footage of it.But there must be a copy of credits to who played on what???? Always wondered this.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI-jZfbDY48 He looks ok to me......
There's plenty of documantation,in the form of studio logs and musicians union signed contracts,that name the particular song on which they played .Google "The Wrecking Crew",to see that Hal Blaine was actually 10 of your favorite drummers.

Steve B
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com