DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 11-17-2013, 05:07 AM
Silver Member

Default Lean Green Machine - Yamaha Live Custom

Latest Yamaha kit...Live Custom Oak in Bop sizes :
18x14, 12x8, 14x13 in Emerald Shadow
and also - NOS Maple Custom Absolute Nouveau 14x4 in Green Sparkle.

Haven't had much of a chance to play them yet but will post a full review and better pictures soon. Initial impression : I don't know how Yamaha does this kind of quality at this price point. I am amazed.

These appear better built then the Oak Customs and they are less money. I currently own Maple Customs, Birch Customs, Club Customs, Recording Customs, Hipgig and even Rydeen....these will hold their own. Yeah, you could say I like Yamaha drums :) Everyone can stop getting worried about the Chinese build quality. Really.

The snare is just awesome and fills a gap, I didn't have a 14" wood piccolo. I like to use piccolo snares when I play a lot of brushes and blasticks. As always, I love what the aluminum die cast hoops do for this snare. Precision, focus - no choking. One of the things I have noticed about Nouveau lugs is that they stay in tune really well...lugs simply do not back out, even with rimshots on every backbeat ( I have other nouveau snares).

Here's some crappy cell phone pics...
Attached Images

[14 CREW]
Old 11-17-2013, 05:41 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Lean Green Machine - Yamaha Live Custom

nice pick up!

im glad to hear that the chinese yammies continue to have the same great quality found over the years.

awesome sig btw!
Old 11-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Silver Member

Thanks man. Yes, no problem whatsoever with Chinese build quality so far.
Remember, Yamaha's hardware, considered by many to be the best in the biz, has been made in China for a few years now.

I forgot to mention that Yamaha has done away with the bass drum riser on the 18" Live Custom Oak series. Previously the Oak Custom, Birch Absolute and Maple Absolute included the riser. The old riser was good - but don't really have a problem without one. Simplicity = good.

I just swapped out the bass drum batter head with a clear Remo Powerstroke Pro. Seems to have more snap&boom than an Aquarian Superkick I. Need to try it in a few rooms. Might go back to a trusty old PS3.

Neal

[14 CREW]

Last edited by evilg99; 11-17-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:11 PM
Silver Member

no problemo!

so no more riser? the kick must sit lower than normal for a bebop kit. any problemos with your foot technique? the beater must sit lower too.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:02 AM
Silver Member

Well! Just had a rehearsal with the new Live Customs...doing the "christmas tunes" rehearsal thing. We practice in a large, carpeted multipurpose room at a local University.

Set up the kit , hit the bass drum twice...my jaw agape . All my bandmates,and especially the guitar player were blown away - I mean it sounds tremendous. Huge. And not just punch, there is a beautiful low note there. I have a clear Remo Powerstroke Pro with the foam ring on. Nothing inside, no hole, full factory resonant head. As mentioned before, the bass drum has no riser. I just shorten the beater length a bit. It hits above center and that is just fine...more than fine in this case. I should have recorded it. Bar none, biggest, baddest 18"x14" I have ever heard. Blows away my DW Jazz series 18x16 bass drum. And my 18x14 Pearl Masters Mahogany, and my 18x16 Yamaha Birch Custom. Better than a couple 20" bass drums I own or have played too. Not kidding - and I swear it's not a case of the emperor's new clothes.

The toms have clear emperors on them tuned medium low. I do not believe in tuning to pitches, I tune to where the drum sounds and feels good/where I like it. The oak shells have a short-ish note- or less than maple toms of the same sizes and pro level build.
They are also brighter than maple but have plenty of low end and punch too. Similar to birch but a bit brighter and maybe more dynamic. They respond very nicely to a wide dynamic...if you hit hard, they go with you. Plenty of power. I found the sweet spot tuning them is the bottom head just slightly higher than the batter, which is lower (on the reso) than I usually do.

One thing I have discovered is that I'm done with Aquarian Superkick heads. Tried them and experimented on many drums now...and while I found the trick to them is you have to tune them higher than you might otherwise do to get them to sound like a drum, they are just kinda one dimensional to me now. The Powerstroke Pro has way more tone...and it can be tuned low if you like, you will get more than just head slap. I chose the PS Pro by simply tapping a bunch of heads with my finger at the drum shop - it really does tell you quite a bit about a drum head. SKI and II by comparison, sounded quite dead.

In the picture below is also the green sparkle Yamaha MCAN 14 x4 snare - that is a whole other thread just on that snare. I know it's not fashionable to like or play snares shallower than 5" these days but this one is just sweet. Remo vintage emperor with no dampening, and of course - the resonant head properly cranked.
Rounding it out, my beloved Paiste 602 Modern Essentials - 20" ride, 18"+16" crashes and 14" hats. They are extremely versatile - can't say enough about them. The Paiste shimmer is so addictive. I had a full set of Formula 602 reissues as well - but ultimately settled on these - slightly darker, a little more complex and soooo smooth. They can explode with power when needed, yet respond beautifully to soft plastic brushes. I am in love with them.

That's all for now. I will post one more follow up after I do a fully mic'd up gig with them in a couple weeks. no more gushing, I promise.

Neal
Attached Images

[14 CREW]
Old 11-20-2013, 07:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilg99 View Post
Bar none, biggest, baddest 18"x14" I have ever heard. Blows away my DW Jazz series 18x16 bass drum. And my 18x14 Pearl Masters Mahogany, and my 18x16 Yamaha Birch Custom. Better than a couple 20" bass drums I own or have played too. Not kidding - and I swear it's not a case of the emperor's new clothes.

Neal
Cool ! That is impressive for sure.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:38 AM
Silver Member

Informal vote for changing the reso head: (both unported)

Smooth White Aquarian Regulator

or

Remo Fiberskyn

[14 CREW]
Old 11-26-2013, 04:59 AM
Platinum Member

One vote for Fiberskyn.

Nice looking kit, BTW. I'd love to hear a sound clip.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Silver Member

So I tried a Fiberskyn on the reso.
Sounded fine, not much different than the factory reso.
But it looked off. Normally I love the look of a Fiberskyn but not on this kit.
It kinda stuck out.

Back to the factory reso. I might try a Black Suede Ambassador next...that would look cool.

Neal

[14 CREW]
Old 11-28-2013, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

I think it looks good with the stock head on there. But I might just be a Yamaha fanboy - ha ha.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:11 AM
Silver Member

Agreed!
------------------------------

[14 CREW]
Old 11-29-2013, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Agreed!
------------------------------

Agreed that ' it looks good with the stock head on there',

or that ' I might just be a Yamaha fanboy'.

LOL

I saw one of those kits in a type of black wood recently. Tapped on the toms and they sounded good,
but it wasn't set up with a kick pedal, and that's what I was more interested in hearing.
I'll have to go back and see if they'll set it up.
I asked what they wanted for it - 3 piece - same sizes you've got, and they said $1,240.
Is that somewhere around what you paid? PM me please if you don't want to post it.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:58 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry Neal, missed this :( Loving the colour, & great sizes too. I'm certainly interested in hearing a sound clip. Great value for sure, & yes, call me a fan of Yamaha hardware!
Old 11-29-2013, 07:35 PM

Wow, GREAT finish! One of the best "green" finishes I've seen, without a doubt.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Agreed that ' it looks good with the stock head on there',

or that ' I might just be a Yamaha fanboy'.

LOL

I saw one of those kits in a type of black wood recently. Tapped on the toms and they sounded good,
but it wasn't set up with a kick pedal, and that's what I was more interested in hearing.
I'll have to go back and see if they'll set it up.
I asked what they wanted for it - 3 piece - same sizes you've got, and they said $1,240.
Is that somewhere around what you paid? PM me please if you don't want to post it.
Ha! Agreed that the stock reso looks best....and more importantly, sounds a little better than the Fiberskyn...a bit punchier.

I bought them slightly used (used for a two week period on a secondary stage at a Jazz Festival) for $1000. So yes, $1250-ish range is normal retail. That's for 12-14-18, no snare, no hardware.

Neal

[14 CREW]
Old 11-29-2013, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ha! Agreed that the stock reso looks best....and more importantly, sounds a little better than the Fiberskyn...a bit punchier.

I bought them slightly used (used for a two week period on a secondary stage at a Jazz Festival) for $1000. So yes, $1250-ish range is normal retail. That's for 12-14-18, no snare, no hardware.

Neal
The green is worth half that alone, so the drums are a special bargain.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

...I bought them slightly used...

Neal

Wow - you lucked out there. Those are new enough they're just starting to show up here in the boonies.
I picked up a used Stage Custom Bop kit a while back. It's the only used one I've ever seen around here, and the price was right.
That was about a year and a half ago, and I haven't seen another used one since.
Either they didn't sell a lot around here, or people buy them and hang onto them.

It's gonna' be quite a while before I see one of those Live Custom Bop kits used around here - if ever - ha ha.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Green is always more expensive. Good thing it wasn't purple though or it'd be through the roof - LOL

Seriously though. I like the black/green color combo a lot. But it doesn't seem like it'd fit in everywhere with grace. Darkly lit- no problem though.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:55 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Thanks Andy, didn't know you liked green so much!
I love it. My favourite green is British Racing Green...:)

Neal

[14 CREW]
Old 11-30-2013, 02:03 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Wow - you lucked out there. Those are new enough they're just starting to show up here in the boonies.
I picked up a used Stage Custom Bop kit a while back. It's the only used one I've ever seen around here, and the price was right.
That was about a year and a half ago, and I haven't seen another used one since.
Either they didn't sell a lot around here, or people buy them and hang onto them.

It's gonna' be quite a while before I see one of those Live Custom Bop kits used around here - if ever - ha ha.
There wasn't any near me either , I bought these in Ottawa and had them shipped to me in Halifax. For geographic/distance reference, that's kinda like Chicago to New York.

Yup, I bought them without playing them in person - but I trust Yamaha enough plus there were more than a few decent videos with some heavy duty players singing their praises.
Sgt. Thump also did an excellent review of the Live Customs in this section a coupe months back...it all added up to pulling the trigger without hesitation. I have zero regrets.

As I'm sure many of you can attest to, buying something without playing it first doesn't always work out.

Neal

P.S. Wiidbill - yes they are dark and have the black nickel hoops, black/green fade, etc. but don't judge the 'darkness' by my crappy cell phone pics.
Maybe I should ask Santa for a nice camera for Christmas :)

[14 CREW]
Old 11-30-2013, 06:45 AM
Gold Member

Neal! I missed this thread about your recent acquisition! Beautiful kit and im glad to hear youre digging it!

As you know, I have the 14x22, 9x12, 15x16 setup. I like them so much that I just ordered a matching 10 rack tom and 14 floor tom to give me a bigger setup!!! Im stoked!
Old 11-30-2013, 06:58 AM
Silver Member

That is a lovely kit.....the green is sick in the best possible way! Love a nice green kit and this shade of green is right on.

I too have been surprised at the potent nature of a nice 18.14! I have a few, not sure they would be in the league of this yamaha....but they are very punchy and responsive.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtThump View Post
Neal! I missed this thread about your recent acquisition! Beautiful kit and im glad to hear youre digging it!

As you know, I have the 14x22, 9x12, 15x16 setup. I like them so much that I just ordered a matching 10 rack tom and 14 floor tom to give me a bigger setup!!! Im stoked!
You definitely helped sway me in this direction. I can only imagine how good your 14 x 22 sounds - I love that size too. I had an 18 x 22 Maple Custom Absolute cut down to a 14 x 22, it's perfect now.

Adding the toms is a great idea too, I am going to add a 10" to this setup as well!

-----------------

Quote:
That is a lovely kit.....the green is sick in the best possible way! Love a nice green kit and this shade of green is right on.

I too have been surprised at the potent nature of a nice 18.14! I have a few, not sure they would be in the league of this yamaha....but they are very punchy and responsive.
Thanks shemp -
Yeah the green is just right - like I said, it's brighter than my pics in person, but not crazy....they still look elegant as opposed to flashy.
I think the finish on the inside of the shells coupled with the thicker oak construction really adds up to a unique sound , maybe a little reminiscent of Recording Customs.

Neal

[14 CREW]
Old 12-07-2013, 06:17 AM
Silver Member

I'm back with fresh new crappy cell phone pics!
Playing a couple Christmas gigs tomorrow - one in the afternoon and another in the evening, bringing the Live Customs and I thought the red sparkle MCAN snare would be a nice touch - Christmas colours big time!

Also am trying out an Evans Onyx reso with a hole. If I lose too much tone though, I'll put a full head back on for tomorrow night.
I got that small metal Yamaha logo on eBay. They are $5 each, got a bunch. I like logos but I like them small. Also used a sharpie on the white Evans logo at the bottom of the reso head.

Will post more gig pictures tomorrow.

Neal
Attached Images

[14 CREW]
Old 12-07-2013, 06:25 AM
Platinum Member

Should be fun! Your kit will certainly be in the Christmas spirit. I like it!
Old 12-07-2013, 07:35 AM

Now that kit with those cymbals, is what I would love to wake up next to everyday. Beautiful
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2013, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

Really liking the Christmas colours vibe Neal - nice touch!
Old 12-08-2013, 12:31 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I'm back with fresh new crappy cell phone pics!
Playing a couple Christmas gigs tomorrow - one in the afternoon and another in the evening, bringing the Live Customs and I thought the red sparkle MCAN snare would be a nice touch - Christmas colours big time!

Also am trying out an Evans Onyx reso with a hole. If I lose too much tone though, I'll put a full head back on for tomorrow night.
I got that small metal Yamaha logo on eBay. They are $5 each, got a bunch. I like logos but I like them small. Also used a sharpie on the white Evans logo at the bottom of the reso head.

Will post more gig pictures tomorrow.

Neal
I like small logos too and yours looks great. Ive had GREAT luck using "goof off" to remove logos from heads. It takes a tiny bit of effort on coated heads, but they wipe off very easily onsmooth black or white heads. "Goo gone" sucks for this, but "goof off" is crazy! Just an fyi... :)
Old 12-08-2013, 12:46 AM
Silver Member

Thanks guys.
"Goof off"- good to know Chris. I don't think it would work then on an Evans Onyx as it is not smooth black...it's got a coating on it. Kind of like Remo's Black Suede heads.

Neal

[14 CREW]
Old 12-08-2013, 02:50 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Thanks guys.
"Goof off"- good to know Chris. I don't think it would work then on an Evans Onyx as it is not smooth black...it's got a coating on it. Kind of like Remo's Black Suede heads.

Neal
Good point. I didnt think about that. It works well on normal coated remos without hurting the coating, but yeah, not sure about those.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:25 PM
Silver Member

Well, had a crazy day yesterday, I'm exhausted. Setup and played a well attended Christmas gig in the afternooon. Packed that up and drove over to the evening's gig and did it all over again (with a different band). I brought my drum kit and all the PA is mine too. I somehow cram it all into my VW Tiguan. The PA is small but potent, great for smaller venues...QSC K10 tops and a KSub, Presonus 16.0.2 digital board. Here are some more pics! The LED light strip is kind fun, can change colours , comes with a remote control!
Attached Images

[14 CREW]
Old 12-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Gold Member

I missed this thread. Very nice kit. I'm not usually a fan of green but that is really nice with the black. Great xmas kit too! Nice touch with the lights.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well, had a crazy day yesterday, I'm exhausted. Setup and played a well attended Christmas gig in the afternooon. Packed that up and drove over to the evening's gig and did it all over again (with a different band). I brought my drum kit and all the PA is mine too. I somehow cram it all into my VW Tiguan. The PA is small but potent, great for smaller venues...QSC K10 tops and a KSub, Presonus 16.0.2 digital board. Here are some more pics! The LED light strip is kind fun, can change colours , comes with a remote control!

The Christmas Kit - great stuff.

What's the electronics under the hi hat in the 5th pic of that post?
Old 12-09-2013, 04:48 AM
Silver Member

Already showed my love on the kit and that killer green color...but those Ks are calling to me also....sweet metal my man!
Old 12-09-2013, 05:35 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
The Christmas Kit - great stuff.

What's the electronics under the hi hat in the 5th pic of that post?
Electronics are just a Roland SPD-30 Octapad. Lots of fun. Aux percussion for me mostly...handclaps, big toms, percussion kits, etc. Has 4 trigger inputs as well..can add a bass drum , hihat, snare pad and cymbal to make a little kit. Wouldn't ever consider playing it by itself, but it's great to use with an acoustic kit when the music calls for it.
The gig didn't really call for it last night, but I had it from the earlier gig that day.

Neal

[14 CREW]
Old 12-09-2013, 05:50 AM
Platinum Member

I've got an SPD-30 too. It's fun, but doesn't get as much use as it should.
It's one of those 'seemed like a good idea at the time' things for me.

The angle in the picture makes it look a lot less wide than it actually is.
Must be why I didn't recognize it.