DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 12-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Silver Member

Default Car problems??? Ask away!!!!

The recent thread about change in policy /Andy/guru made me think. Andy brings in all his knowledge and shares it on here. I have lots of knowledge just in a different field.

I am and ASE master mechanic , recertified numerous times , L1 certified . I have my own business and been doing this for 20+ years.
So , if you have any car problems, need a second/honest opinion about something , here I am , offering you my "knowledge" . Maybe you won't get ripped off because of it and save you money as well.
I can give you labor quotes (what a job pays in hours) , waiting diagrams, diagnostic info /help.

Now maybe we'll have drummers come to their gig on time because their car is running right?????????
Old 12-06-2013, 10:33 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Car problems??? Ask away!!!!

Here is one for you. The oil filter in my wife's car has developed a new and irritating issue. It has been slowly working itself loose enough to drip. I continue to retighten it, and a few days later the drip returns and I must tighten it again. I do not use an oil filter wrench, I use a piece of sandpaper to grab the filter and tighten it, and have been doing this forever without issue. The filter is not new, and yes I have been a bad owner and not been changing my oil regularly lately, but this seems like a non-issue to me. The filter should not be doing this.

While I have no where near your experience, I have been working on cars for at least 25 years or so, and can perform just about any mechanical need that the car requires as long as I have the time and tools. I have done just about every kind of repair/fix that can be thought of minus tranny work, so I know my way around a car. But this stupid filter has me incredibly frustrated.

Car is a 96 Oldsmobile Ciera SL with the 3.1 liter V-6, if that helps any.

Last edited by MrInsanePolack; 12-06-2013 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Forgot the "L" in SL
Old 12-06-2013, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drum4fun27302 View Post
The recent thread about change in policy /Andy/guru made me think. Andy brings in all his knowledge and shares it on here. I have lots of knowledge just in a different field.
A while back, Smoke suggested a "What Can I Do For My DW Sibling?" thread. I think it's a great idea. ETA, French grammar, if anybody is THAT desperate.

Trivial car problem: five-year-old Peugeot 207 (possibly too small to feature on your radar). Dashboard insists on telling me that the remote battery is flat. What is it talking about? I press the thingy on the key, and the car opens like the (albeit unparkable) sweetheart it is. What am I missing?!
Old 12-06-2013, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member

I have a 99 Jeep grand cherokee larado.,4.7 litre ,quadratrack 4x4. But the 4 wheel drive dosen't work.I only have rear wheel drive.Could it be electrical,mechanical or both?The 4wd is suppose to be full time and there is no 2wd on the shifter?

thanks in advance

Steve B
Old 12-07-2013, 12:13 AM
Silver Member

I forgot the forum is international !!! Oops. I am in America and we don't have peugeots over here :(
Old 12-07-2013, 12:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I forgot the forum is international !!! Oops. I am in America and we don't have peugeots over here :(
I don't blame you. Most sensible thing you lot have ever done.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:26 AM
Silver Member

The 99 gs Cherokee , you need to put it on all 4 jack stands and see if the driveshaft from the t case to the front diff is turning while the vehicle is in drive, if it is turning , the problem is in the front diff. If it isn't , it is in the t case (NV247).
Old 12-07-2013, 12:32 AM
Silver Member

On the 207 , I did a quick search and you sjouke try to Turn ignition on , hold lock button on fob in for 10 seconds.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member

Transfer case problem= big bucks.But still,what's the point of having a 2wd Jeep?

Thanks my friend.

Steve B
Old 12-07-2013, 01:03 AM
Platinum Member

Who needs a car when you have drums!
I am also an automotive tech with over 35 years experience.
I hate cars :)
I am at the point where I lease a Hyundai Elantra. I don't even want to own my own car anymore.
Here is my advice. Lease a Hyundai, if it breaks call the number on the left rear window. A transport truck will pick you and your Hyundai up.
Hyundai will repair your leased car under warranty while you drive a loaner. It doesn't get any better than that :)

Last edited by bobdadruma; 12-07-2013 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:24 AM
The Old Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
Here is one for you. The oil filter in my wife's car has developed a new and irritating issue. It has been slowly working itself loose enough to drip. I continue to retighten it, and a few days later the drip returns and I must tighten it again. I do not use an oil filter wrench, I use a piece of sandpaper to grab the filter and tighten it, and have been doing this forever without issue. The filter is not new, and yes I have been a bad owner and not been changing my oil regularly lately, but this seems like a non-issue to me. The filter should not be doing this.

While I have no where near your experience, I have been working on cars for at least 25 years or so, and can perform just about any mechanical need that the car requires as long as I have the time and tools. I have done just about every kind of repair/fix that can be thought of minus tranny work, so I know my way around a car. But this stupid filter has me incredibly frustrated.

Car is a 96 Oldsmobile Ciera SL with the 3.1 liter V-6, if that helps any.
i wonder if the old rubber gasket is still stuck on the engine and causing a problem the the new gasket seating properly. I have never heard of a filter working its way off. they usually stick due to the heat of the engine block.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:32 AM
Silver Member

Only oil filter problem I ever have is on the vw's . They have to be really tight. My best guess for you would be to get a acdelco filter and install it the German way : goodandtight !!
Old 12-07-2013, 02:34 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
Transfer case problem= big bucks.Front diff= big bucks too.But still,what's the point of having a 2wd Jeep?

Thanks my friend.

Steve B
Buying a used one on eBay is not that expansive. I asked you to do that test so I can gigurd out what part to concentrate on (diff or tcase).
Old 12-07-2013, 02:36 AM
Administrator

2005 Mercury Sable, very low mileage. Temp gauge reads normal but I have no heat/defroster etc. Fan works, but blows ambient air. thanks
Old 12-07-2013, 03:04 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Hyde View Post
i wonder if the old rubber gasket is still stuck on the engine and causing a problem the the new gasket seating properly. I have never heard of a filter working its way off. they usually stick due to the heat of the engine block.
Nah, it was fine for a year and this just started happening. I am wondering if there is an oil pressure issue that gauges don't display.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:11 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
2005 Mercury Sable, very low mileage. Temp gauge reads normal but I have no heat/defroster etc. Fan works, but blows ambient air. thanks
1st check your antifreeze level. If full,Engine at operating tempersture touch the 2 heater hoses that go thru the firewall (passenger compartment). They should both be really warm (even hot) so be careful.
If they are coldish , you have a restriction somewhere in the cooling system , and if they are warm/hot , you have a door problem inside the dash.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:09 AM

Quote:
1st check your antifreeze level. If full,Engine at operating tempersture touch the 2 heater hoses that go thru the firewall (passenger compartment). They should both be really warm (even hot) so be careful.
If they are coldish , you have a restriction somewhere in the cooling system , and if they are warm/hot , you have a door problem inside the dash.
I *think* I had a similar problem on my old van. Could be the coolant level, but I recall the thermostat was broken. (Don't forget to "burp the baby" when replacing coolant.")

radman
Old 12-07-2013, 05:34 AM
Administrator

Cool thanks lads.............
Old 12-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
Nah, it was fine for a year and this just started happening. I am wondering if there is an oil pressure issue that gauges don't display.
Does the filter thread properly and tighten? Is it possible that you may have cross threaded it some how?

Also did you say a year,with the same filter?I think it's time for an oil and filter change.I always change the filter with the oil.It only cost around 25 bucks for 5 qts. of oil,and a new filter,at Pep boys or a dozen other places.Every 3-4000 miles.

Steve B
Old 12-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
Does the filter thread properly and tighten? Is it possible that you may have cross threaded it some how?

Also did you say a year,with the same filter?I think it's time for an oil and filter change.I always change the filter with the oil.It only cost around 25 bucks for 5 qts. of oil,and a new filter,at Pep boys or a dozen other places.Every 3-4000 miles.

Steve B
Yes, it is properly threaded. It was properly tightened and seated, and yes I did say a year. I have been financially strapped this past year and anytime I get the money to take care of much needed things, something always comes up. I know $25 might not seem like much, but it is for a poor, married student like myself. Last time I had extra money and was going to change the oil and filter, the heater core went out so I ended up changing that instead.

Next has to be the header panel, head lights, and turn signals because a deer tried to commit suicide and did some minor front end damage. There is another $200 I don't have right now.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Gold Member

Saw this this morning and I thought I would not need it. Went outside to start my car (it is cold and icy here - about 19 F) and the battery was down. Went to open the hood to jump it and the latch is frozen. Any tips on how to open it? Oh, it's a 2007 PT Cruiser.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zickos View Post
Saw this this morning and I thought I would not need it. Went outside to start my car (it is cold and icy here - about 19 F) and the battery was down. Went to open the hood to jump it and the latch is frozen. Any tips on how to open it? Oh, it's a 2007 PT Cruiser.
Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9bABqA6n5Y

Lovely weather we are having, eh?
Old 12-07-2013, 07:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zickos View Post
Spray a little water up in there from a garden hose.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
I don't blame you. Most sensible thing you lot have ever done.
Unless you're a cheese-eating surrender monkey, then that's all you drive! ;) You do in fact see them here.

(in case it's not obvious.... JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!)