DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 08-21-2013, 09:58 PM

Default Double Pedal Bag?

I was looking through a website for something unrelated to the topic, and came across the Gibraltar bag for double pedals.

Now this intrigues me, because I don't like carrying my pedals open like I currently do. My Speed Cobras came with a hard case, but I have no intention of disconnecting anything repeatedly (even hate collapsing my cymbal stands - when I had them). I have them perfectly set up for my preferred dimensions.

My wife wants to get me a case, so they are easier to carry and store. But after seeing this bag, I can't help but wonder if someone already has a solution for double pedals and, like me, doesn't break them down for transport.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:20 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Double Pedal Bag?

Why do you find it so objectionable to break them down for transport? All settings will be as they were once you set them up again. Just use the case that they're supplied with.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming sort of person View Post
Why do you find it so objectionable to break them down for transport? All settings will be as they were once you set them up again. Just use the case that they're supplied with.
#1 I'm lazy as hell.
#2 I've had bad luck with double pedals in the past, with the screws either breaking from excessive tightening (my fault), or just getting old (these aren't exactly heavy duty lugs)
#3 The beaters take some additional time to put in, and have at the right degree (facing left to right, not up or down - that is fixed with the memory lock).
#4 I have had issues not getting the middle connecting bar set right exactly every time.

I can get my kit from the back of a vehicle to set up in about 10 minutes. I accomplish this because of minimal tear down (takes up more space when packed, though).

The only thing I 'put away' are the cymbals.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:24 AM

I like everything in cases for transport,but setting up the double pedal is still quick using memory locks and sharpie marks, and using the case allows quicker loading in/out. I would recommend it :-)
Old 08-22-2013, 02:10 PM
Silver Member

You're asking for trouble if you don't break down your drums when you move them around.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
You're asking for trouble if you don't break down your drums when you move them around.
They've held up for the past 20 years and well over 1000 gigs. Tama.

I don't abuse them, just pack them carefully. I'm not breaking the pedals down. It is way too convenient to just pick them up in the van, put down where they need to be, tighten wingnut. Done. It literally took longer to type that sentence than it does to set them up that way.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

Just looking at a picture of it, looks the same as my dw or mapex nylon bags in which case you will still have to disconnect the shaft and remove the beaters (unless you want the springs flexing until you take it back out.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
Just looking at a picture of it, looks the same as my dw or mapex nylon bags in which case you will still have to disconnect the shaft and remove the beaters (unless you want the springs flexing until you take it back out.
Thanks! How did you come to that conclusion?

I only found one picture of it, and it was the outside of the bag, without any size reference.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member

Just logically. I don't think there is a carry case that fits an assembled double kick. I think the sleishman pedal has one but you know that thing is all one piece.

Maybe just keep doing what you're doing and carry it, or get a cheap sports bag.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Just logically. I don't think there is a carry case that fits an assembled double kick. I think the sleishman pedal has one but you know that thing is all one piece.

Maybe just keep doing what you're doing and carry it, or get a cheap sports bag.
I have no idea why I haven't thought of this.

Guys - my biggest concern with the pedals is unnecessary wear. I've had great luck with my Tama hardware. I have cymbal stands that I've been using since the '80s. The ones that start to go out (moving excessively) or pedals that develop issues - it's because of the numerous setups and teardowns. One day, the screws break (sometimes inside the hole - not something I want deal with 15 minutes before playing time), or strips out, or something isn't quite the same. I haven't had a single issue with my pedals since I've stopped tearing them down. Call me superstitious. Call me unfaithful. I know that I have no problems with my pedals, and they can be set up in an instant (literally).

I'm going to look into a sports bag that has a sturdy bottom, and appropriate dimensions to support the double pedals (folded, but assembled). This is a problem living in Fayetteville, NC. Not exactly a megatropolis having access to a lot of different types of stores. One might think - the internet is just as available there as anywhere else. True, but to spacially examine the interior of a bag isn't something we can do over the internet.

So my search begins...

*edit: 3 reasons I wanted a bag (or soft case, etc...).
#1 Storing/stacking becomes a lot easier, without having to worry about unnecessary spring tension, or beaters getting stuck on things
#2 Carrying open requires two hands (to alleviate pressure of the connecting bar (and supporting screws).
#3 Moving the rain isn't something I like to expose my stuff to (requires more maintenance in the end).

Last edited by JasperGTR; 08-22-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:34 PM

http://www.music123.com/drums-percus...accessory-case

This is the first bag I came across that may work...

My dimensions are around 19". Even though the bag is measured at only 18" wide, it is not a hard case, and I may be able to fit my pedals in there without collapsing.

The dimensions are 18"x10"x10" interior.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Silver Member

Just set up your entire kit on a riser with everything fastened down. This will serve as the platform/bottom of your road case. Then have a top made (with four 'walls' and fastening clasps) with foam positioned so that nothing will move when it's all bolted shut. When you're ready to go, just take off all your cymbals and put them in a cymbal case. Close the "box", fasten it, and all you will need at that point is a fork lift and flat bed truck to move the case to and fro.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Just set up your entire kit on a riser with everything fastened down. This will serve as the platform/bottom of your road case. Then have a top made (with four 'walls' and fastening clasps) with foam positioned so that nothing will move when it's all bolted shut. When you're ready to go, just take off all your cymbals and put them in a cymbal case. Close the "box", fasten it, and all you will need at that point is a fork lift and flat bed truck to move the case to and fro.
I used to do that (but I left my cymbals up) in my younger days. I also had a people to help move my kit.

I still have the platform under my home kit (now it just serves as a riser in the basement in case of 'issues').

Obviously you're being extreme, but I'm dead serious - with the wife's minivan (I'm considering getting an Econoline), I can pull up and be set up in 10 minutes, with just me.

The rack has been a god-send. I place the middle portion standing up (3 hi-toms already mounted), bring in either side (all cymbal booms in place), clamp in place, grab bass drum, floor toms, snare, put in place (I do fold up my snare legs, and hihat stand but don't collapse either - as of now - looking to rack mount the hats eventually), open throne legs.

The longest part is putting the cymbals on the right booms. I've actually started leaving my 2 splash cymbals on the center rack mount, as nothing touches them. So I'm down to placing the remaining 9 cymbals.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:37 AM
Silver Member

Well, at least you're getting to play your own kit. Most places these days you gotta play the house kit, and maybe bring your own snare and cymbals. Sometimes just your cymbals.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:43 AM

Wake up sleepy thread!

So JasperGTR,

What did you end up going with? That Gator bag looks interesting. I feel the same way about double pedal tear down as you I believe. Less to do is better. I also like taking care of my equipment.

I have some DW 9002 double pedals that I usually end up taking the bar off, and breaking down into three pieces. I would prefer to keep them safe and fully ready to go though.

How is whatever you are using working?
Old 11-13-2013, 05:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

...Maybe just keep doing what you're doing and carry it, or get a cheap sports bag.

I did a quick search at 'the store that shall not be named' and found a sports bag that measures 36" x 14" x 8" for under $30.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Bull View Post
Wake up sleepy thread!

So JasperGTR,

What did you end up going with? That Gator bag looks interesting. I feel the same way about double pedal tear down as you I believe. Less to do is better. I also like taking care of my equipment.

I have some DW 9002 double pedals that I usually end up taking the bar off, and breaking down into three pieces. I would prefer to keep them safe and fully ready to go though.

How is whatever you are using working?
lol! I ended up going with a Samsonite duffle bag (wayyy oversized, but was buried in my luggage closet). It is relatively cheap, but meets 2 out of my 3 criteria (can be carried with one hand, without pedals being flexed in any direction - and protects from the rain).
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
I did a quick search at 'the store that shall not be named' and found a sports bag that measures 36" x 14" x 8" for under $30.
lol! Please share (PM would be fine).
Old 11-13-2013, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperGTR View Post

lol! Please share (PM would be fine).

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Franklin-S...-Navy/26530651

Maybe big enough to fit right in without taking down.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:36 PM
Silver Member

On a related note, I've been wanting to find a good hard case that will fit my DW9000 pedal. I just don't trust the soft case that it came with.

Ideas?
Old 11-13-2013, 07:00 PM

Great post, Jasper. I think I posted something similar a few years ago. I'm in the same boat as you, I gig with tama Iron Cobras and I hate to take them apart every show. The case that came with the pedals is absurd. I'm not going thru 7 steps to pack up pedals!!!
Anyway, what i use now is a DeWalt tool bag. It doesn't work great, the beaters are a bit too high, and it's a tough fit all the way around. For years I have been trying to find a tool box that would fit. no such luck so far. I figured that would be the best. Pretty sturdy...good luck and let me know what you come up with...

Al
Attached Images

Gibraltar
Old 11-21-2013, 11:10 AM

Oh Snap!!

I think I found an offering that looks very tempting. It is a SKB square, marching snare case!

http://www.skbcases.com/music/produc...t=1&c=100&s=77

I bet I could make this thing work. I might be able to fit my DW 9002s in there without having to take much or anything apart. I might have to do some measuring. I could always fill the void with padding or other small items (stickbag or something). But I like the idea of a hard case. Right now. I put them in my medium SKB hardware case. >> http://www.skbcases.com/music/produc...et=1&c=98&s=77

But I fear, over time, even with the pedals wedged into corners of this case, the lateral pressures against the beaters would have an effect on the bearings. I want to get my pedals their OWN case so that they can ride in style and last a while.

This hard case might be the answer.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
But I fear, over time, even with the pedals wedged into corners of this case, the lateral pressures against the beaters would have an effect on the bearings. I want to get my pedals their OWN case so that they can ride in style and last a while.

This hard case might be the answer.
I had never even thought of that.

Let me know how it works!

How far do expand your connecting rod? I don't think I ever measured mine, but I'm curious if we can fold in a similar manner. I connect the Speed Cobras about halfway up each extension.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:19 PM

I put my Pearl Eliminators in a Protection Racket bongo (?) bag. The only thing I do is disconnect/slide the inner connecting rod from the outer .. they stay attached to the master and slave pedals. I don't remove the beaters either. Quick, painless, and repeatable.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperGTR View Post
I had never even thought of that.

Let me know how it works!

How far do expand your connecting rod? I don't think I ever measured mine, but I'm curious if we can fold in a similar manner. I connect the Speed Cobras about halfway up each extension.
I don't expand mine too far. My pedal spread is just beyond the footprint of the 14" snare. I will try to remember to bring a measuring tape to tomorrow's gig. Everything is already packed up and at my guitar player's house.

I have to say, I am somewhat surprised that some drum bag/case company has not capitalized on our lazy needs. How hard would it be to design a case that looks like half a pie with the two pedals angled outward like they would be when set up, and be able to keep the double pedal as one solid unit.

Sure it's is not a cute little rectangle or square, but given all the choices out there today, if I saw a more oddly shaped case that would allow me to open the top, pull the pedal out, attach it to the bass drum and be ready to play...

... I would buy it in a heartbeat. BOOM!

And all the other bass pedal manufactures would have to come up with their own damn version pretty quickly. Why would anyone want to take beaters off, take off the connecting rod again, again, and again when they could leave it set up as a unit. Also you would be less likely to strip those tiny lug bolts and other moving parts by keeping it together instead of slowly grinding them over the years through set up and tear down.

It just makes sense.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:46 PM

Okay - flimsy duffle bag - not recommended... I went on a trip (work related), left the pedals somewhere (near a high-traffic area) in my house. Went to setup my pedals last night, and one of the connecting rods is bent!

My own fault for not putting them in safer place (didn't think they were in anyone's way). But with dogs that weigh more than my kids, I guess no place is safe.

I'm slightly upset at myself. BUT - another reason to look for a hard or soft-reinforced bag.

I just replaced the part from my spare set of SC's at home for the moment..., but now I'm taking a more serious approach to this.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
I have to say, I am somewhat surprised that some drum bag/case company has not capitalized on our lazy needs. How hard would it be to design a case that looks like half a pie with the two pedals angled outward like they would be when set up, and be able to keep the double pedal as one solid unit.

Sure it's is not a cute little rectangle or square, but given all the choices out there today, if I saw a more oddly shaped case that would allow me to open the top, pull the pedal out, attach it to the bass drum and be ready to play...

And all the other bass pedal manufactures would have to come up with their own damn version pretty quickly. Why would anyone want to take beaters off, take off the connecting rod again, again, and again when they could leave it set up as a unit. Also you would be less likely to strip those tiny lug bolts and other moving parts by keeping it together instead of slowly grinding them over the years through set up and tear down.

It just makes sense.
I created a thread a while back titled " gear I wish they woud bulid". This would fit in that perfectly. I have already contacted Gibraltar about making telescoping legs for their racks. They got back to me with some BS like " ya, that sounds like a good idea". I was like, YES I KNOW!, now go forth and build me one....:) It's only a matter of time until a company DOES build a decent pedal case. One that doesn't require a field stripping of your pedals....Maybe I'll call that dude from Gibraltar again.
Gibraltar
Old 11-22-2013, 10:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Get ready to pay dearly then: http://www.anvilcase.com/products/op...tom-interiors/
Old 11-23-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Those Anvil cases are sexy!

I might be able to get away with using some sort of production level case, even one that was made for something else, to safely store those assembled double pedals in.

I looked at my DW 9002s tonight. I don't expand the connecting rod out too far. I think from exterior most frame to exterior most frame of the pedals is something around 28/29". I think the base plates kicked em up a little towards the 29" mark. I might double check tomorrow.

On the one had a custom Anvil case might cost a kidney or something, but on the other had, it is one of those buy one and done sort of affairs. You would want to be smart about the pedals you buy it for though. Be pretty damn sure that you have the pedals that you like playing. You might want to take into account allowing for extra room if you ever decide to go with a different manufacture's pedal, or long boards.

I am going to get something. I wanted tonight to be the last night that I put my expensive pedals into the same case as all my other hardware.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:01 AM

OK, I think I have decided on what I will be going with.

Another SKB Medium Trap Case!

http://www.skbcases.com/music/produc...et=1&c=98&s=77

I plan to have some padded bracing that I can add to secure the pedals fully set up. Once I have that done, I can allocate extra space for a few other items, but no heavy cymbal stands or tom mounts. A bit excessive you say? Pshaaaw...

I think it would be cool to have a sleek case In some sort of assembled configuration, but options are limited. I can get one for about $150, so while it's not cheap, neither is replacing expensive double bass pedals.