DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-04-2013, 04:28 PM

Default Please recommend inexpensive interface & mic

Hi guys,
I would like to do some basic recording at home...just enough to hear myself play with backing tracks, record ideas for bandmates, etc.. I don't have much of a budget for this. Can those of you familiar with the equipment recommend a decent interface and single-mic solution that I can get inexpensively on eBay or Craigslist?

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Please recommend inexpensive interface & mic

An SM-57 is the mic I would recommend. It is almost cliche' to mention it because it is so widely used, but it is the industry standard for a reason.

As for an interface, you can find them used fairly cheap these days. I saw an M Audio 2 channel at my local goodwill for $20 a few weeks ago.Jus browse CL or flea bay. You should be able to find a descent one for under $50.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:32 PM

Thanks for the advice. I owned a SM57 back in the 90's, and recorded to cassette on my Tascam 4-tracker, haha. How times have changed, but good to know the SM57 is still the standard!
Old 11-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

You can try the Samson C01u usb mic. They're fairly cheap at $80 new and don't sound that bad. It's a USB mic so it plugs straight into the computer. I had one and it wasn't that bad (much better than I thought). Much simpler to use and probably cheaper than finding a SM57 and a USB interface.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:52 AM

I don't know what the definition of inexpensive is, so I may be going outside your budget.

I'd watch ebay for a yamaha audiogram 3 for under $40 for your interface. Make sure it includes the software. There are probably better options for $30 more, but the audiogram is simple and will work for one mic.

For the mic I'd watch ebay. Rather than a 57, I'd look for an AT2020 as a good low priced condenser mic. There's also the AT2035 which I think includes a high pass filter and 10db pad. Or, my choice, an AKG Perception 220 mic. I got the P220 new for $101.50 and $5 S&H on ebay. like the AT2035, it has a high pass and pad. I also came in an ok case with a shock mount.

You'll want a stand too. I think any of those mics will give you more versatility than the SM57, but they won't be as bulletproof.

One more thing, the AT2020 can also be bought as a USB mic. It may be slightly better than the Samson Bo mentioned, but 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen the other...