DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 11-14-2013, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breno View Post
Hello Mr. Harrison, I really appreciate your work, I would learn to play the 19 days.How can I get the score music?

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoric_anomaly View Post
Breno,

Just wanted to let you know that Gavin does not give out sheet music, drumless tracks, personal "guided tours of drum tabs" or anything else you may have in mind. Not trying to be rude at all, just giving you some info about this forum =)

E_A

In this case, that particular song is available.

http://www.hudsonmusic.com/2017/feat...rison-19-days/
Old 11-15-2013, 09:59 PM

Gavin,

I know it's probably cost prohibitive, but any chance of bringing GH05 to the U.S.? If not, any possibility of a live DVD? Continued success with the tour!

Jeff
Old 11-17-2013, 11:03 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi euphoric_anomaly

I was so disappointed not to be able to see you in Portsmouth, NH, What did you like best about that town?

Unfortunately didn't see any of it - I was only there for about 8 hours and spent all of it at the drum store.

Also, did you gain most of your arm strength (mainly forearms, biceps) from drumming alone? Or do you also work out to keep in shape?

Yes only from drumming - I don't do any muscle building stuff. I ride a bicycle whenever I have time and the weather is not too bad.

Hi Rudolf Horváth

I noticed that my sense of steady beat isn't that strong. I think I am too dependant on others, when I hear something playing I can feel my timing is good. But once there are, what I call, "silent parts" I have hard time holding steady beat when there is nothing to hold on. Hope it makes sense... I mean I can play in time simpler things, but the rests can cause trouble. Especially those over few bars.

if you can hold the time better when just playing simple things - just play simple things until you get better/more confident.

I also noticed that my idea of rhythmic values (Triplets, Eights, Sixteens...) isn't perfect. I have a clue how it is placed in time, but not very clear. It takes me a little bit of time (Two or three beats) to adjust well... For example when playing from sixteens to triplets. And of course syncopated notes are extremely difficult as I tend to be drawn to the beat, for example when I try to play last sixteen note.

You need to practise to a metronome and listen carefully when changing subdivisions - switch back and forth between 8's and triplets until you can do it easily without chasing the click. You need to know how to make the adjustment - and that comes from lots of practising and listening. Be very observant.

On song 19 days you play a marimba. It is your own marimba? Have you ever practiced melodic instruments like marimba or vibraphone? Do you know any good books? I own xylophone and I sometimes feel guilty not playing it as I don't know what to practice.

I do own a marimba - but I don't have any good books to practise - when I find time I will find a teacher to show me how to play it properly.

Hi Torkerz

I was watching the below video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfKDG7rXEWM

I was wondering if you had any tips or notation of the complete exercise at the end, with the 4/4 over ride on the hi-hat? I know that the groupings are thrown together, but I would like to try and do each separate and then together but with that over ride.
I think it would be easier to see the notation as opposed to trying to work it out myself. I have been trying to work it out with the click but might need some further advice. I can play the fills fine and move between them with the trills on the feet, but when I try to throw in that poly rhythm I feel like I'm back to square 1 again... Help please!

first you need to be able to sing and clap groups of 3/16 in 4/4 without losing where the downbeat in 4.4 is. You will notice that it resolves to a quarter note after 3 beats (but that isn't where the downbeat is in 4/4). So you have to play it over three bars of 4/4 before it resolves with the 4/4 downbeat. Try writing it out and memorise the position of each note - it's really not hard. Then do the same thing with groupings of 5/16. Accent the "1" and "3" of every 5...and then write it out over five bars of 4/4 - and then to groupings of 7/16 accenting the "1" "3" & "5" of every 7 and so on. Once you've practised that a few hundred times you will find it easier to switch between the grouping at any point and not get lost in 4/4

And secondly, have you got any good tips for chart reading? I really want to buy your latest book with the 05ric tunes in it. I have the Louis Bellson sight reading books, Ted Reed's syncopation and Tommy Igoe's book, but I was wondering if you had any other tips?

I found the best thing for reading is to do it a lot - and also try transcribing simple rhythms - it's the understanding of where the syncopation lands that will help you the most.

Hi Marian Cimpian

I just saw the PT Mhz performance from 2003; a great performance! why did you had an x-hat between your snare and first floor tom? how was it mounted and how was playing it like?

I used to play a hi hat in that position back in 1986 when I was with Iggy Pop as it was helpful to play fast 8th note rock/punk music without crossing my hands. I used again with Level 42 and when I first started with Porcupine Tree. After that first PT tour I switched back to playing just one regular hi hat on my left side. It was mounted on a small cymbal stand with a hi hat clutch upside down so I could close it tight.

Secondly, in the developing of your signature snare drum did you investigate Tama's melody master (Mike Portnoy signature snare) with it's 3 positions throw off or the DW 3 positions butt end? what do you think of those kind of features?

No I didn't investigate those snare drums. The 3 position butt may be quite useful - but it's not in an easy place to access as you are playing (if you keep the throw off on your left side as most drummers do).

Hi szokematyi

What I know about tuning tells me that the pitch of a tom (drum) consists of 3 pitches. The pich of the batter head, the pitch of the bottom head plus the tone of the shell itself. But putting these rings on a head kills some of the overtones, which causes a change in tone/pitch - lowers it slightly. So do you adjust your tuning because of this? Do you tune the drum differently with and without rings?

No I don't tune differently with the rings in.

I'm interested in the pitch, and pitch relations in between the heads (bigger, or smaller pitch relations, lowered bottom or tightened batter etc.) mostly. Do you maybe tune your batter head higher a bit?

I don't tune to an exact interval - but I can tell you that the bottom head is tighter than the top on all my toms.

Plus how wide are your rings? I'm currently trying to recreate these rings, and I'm starting these with an appr. 12mm width on the 14" floor tom, and a slightly bigger 14mm width on the 16" tom. But it's only the starting point probably, I don't want to "kill" the "boingy-ness" too much. I'm guessing these sizes will be a bit big/wide. How wide are yours?

They are about an inch wide.

Hi atman

I've made a "drumming plan" that consists of two different practice routines.
I intend to alternate both during the week. That means practicing one routine on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays... the other one on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
And here is my question: do you honestly think it would be effective considering I won't be playing the same kind of material every day?
One practice routine is based one technique, subdivisions, polyrythms, stroke rolls and ruffs, paraddidles...The other one is based on book methods such as 'Rythmic Illusions', 'The Funky Beat', 'Double Bass Drum Freedom'... and so on! Any suggestions?

I believe it's good to have a plan - sticking to it is the hardest part. Practising to a metronome and improvisational sessions are very useful too.

Hi Polska

I know it's probably cost prohibitive, but any chance of bringing GH05 to the U.S.? If not, any possibility of a live DVD? Continued success with the tour!

No plans at the moment to do either - but who knows what the future might hold.

cheers
Gavin
Old 11-17-2013, 11:12 AM

Hi Gavin,
how are you?

I hope the question hasnt been asked before;
Will you participate at the Sonor Days 2014 again?

The last time was just GREAT!

I'm really excited about the selection of artists this time.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 11-19-2013, 07:23 PM

Hey Gavin!
I've noticed you often use R L r r l l sticking. I was wondering whether or not you use push & pull technique to make the r r l l at very fast tempos? Also, do you have any 'favourite stickings' that you like to experiment with?

By the way I've attended your clinics and show with 05Ric in Opole. Wonderful time, thanks a lot :).
Old 11-20-2013, 08:56 PM

Hi Gavin,
I would like to thank you again, for a little chat we had about metronome before your Concert with 05Ric in Opole. Thank you for your wise words.
I forgot to ask you about some CD's which you can reccomend to listen. Could you tell me some?

I bought your CD's "Drop" and "Circles". I have to admit, that I havent heard so emotional music for years. "Drop" is beautiful. I've never thought, that odd time signatures, and experminetal music can be friendly to listener and be emotional also. I miss the words in the booklet. Where i can find those?

I found on You Tube your performance on MusikMesse 2007:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ934SpNcdE
Where i can find this piece? It's awesome!!! Did you write it?

Thanks,
Ludwik
Old 11-26-2013, 10:37 AM

First of all greetings to the Drummerworld forum and all the members, especially the ones who are on the GH topic.

This is my first post and it is directed to Gavin Harrison. What a blessing it is that internet can overpase kilometers and miles of distance so that WE, anonymous drummers can chat with professional drums all over the world.

After days of thinking about the question which I wanted to ask Gavin, I said to myself "I am gone ask it in the most simplest way: direct and right "in your face".

Gavin, I have came to a "wall" with my drumming. My path was to concieve MY BAND which was very artistic, yes we were exploring progressive/art rock territories. But, the door wasn't opening for us. And to be sincere, we weren't realistic and organised. I have put my time, energy and drive in that band - and know I am very frustrated, drained and still recovering from "I can't believe I was like that - dreaming, being unrealistic." and also "I can't believe I opened my heart and soul to bandmates who didn't care for me/us as human beings who wanted to be more than musicians."
So, know I have seen my dream being shattered. And I don't know what to do.
When I started to play in bands, it was all about playing any kind of music but as the years went by, I realized that I wanted my OWN band. I was at peace with this kind of decision. Unfortunately, in Croatia (well, also in any part of the world) condeming yourself to JUST ONE BAND - is a death sentence. And I think I went that road. Now, I don't know what to do? Everyone who I know who is playing tells me "Take a break, and rethink about what do you still love about playing drums and which doors were not meant for you not go in to."

Being from a MUSICAL FAMILY (my dad - bass player, my cousins - bass players&keyboard players etc.) I know that playing music and playing drums is in my blood. It would be a sin to let that kind of gift - just drain out. In reality drums are not in forefront of my life, they are in the background but always present. If I could only balance it with my other duties in life - I believe that doors WOULD START OPENING.

In conclusion. What to do when a drummer hits a creative "wall" and a blockade in his mind/heart/soul and is very dissatisfied with any future musical engagements? Should he stop and sell his drums - and say to himself "I guees it wasn't meant for me to do this, maybe there was no blessing in that." Should I contact some successful drummers for advice who would give me an "eye opener"? If in some way you could help me, please do.

In the end, I think that the spirit of Jeffrey Porcaro lives in YOU in some "odd-time" way. God bless your existence and your drumming, Gavin.

Thomas
Old 12-02-2013, 06:12 PM

Hi Gavin
I was watching your ''protean bonus feature'' video on youtube, and right now i have some questions for you, and i hope get some answers

First
How do you tune the batter head in relation on the resonant head on your drums? I mean if you tune the snare batter head for example ''a 1/4 turn tighter than the resonant head ...' you know. And all the other drums... especially floor toms and bass drum to have the best sound possible

Second
You tune your drums to a live situation for example as the same tuning method as a studio situation?? And about your drumheads.. Did you use the same heads however is a live or a studio situation???

Third
Did you play with a smallest drum sets??
And which set do you recommend to use to play for example in a pub, or in a jazz club??
and which cymbals maybe (This question it' s all about your opinion and maybe if you play in these kind of jobs, or maybe another situations than requires a small kit,which setup you use, you know)

And the last
Your opinion about the difference of coated head and the clear ones.
Of course have differences on the sound,but, to you how this difference works??
For example
''A batter head for a bass drum.
If you used coated in a situation, if you use clear in another'' and why???

Thank you
Humberto
Old 12-07-2013, 01:10 AM

Hi Gavin, I've been wondering,

Do you ever plan to release an offical transcription book of your work with Porcupine Tree with songs like Sound of Muzak, Fear of a Blank Planet, Futile, Anesthetize, Way Out Of Here, etc.? If you do, you should collaborate with the same transcriber who did Rhythmic Designs, Terry Branam I believe, as that is a phenomenal work. I also feel it would be massively appreciated, as your work with Porcupine Tree is as you know, extremely admirable and inspiring. :)

Also, on a slightly more selfish note: Do you plan on playing anywhere near Massachusetts? I'd love to see you perform as you are an utmost inspiration to me as both a musician and a person.

Thank you! :)
Old 12-18-2013, 10:25 PM

Gavin,

Before I ask, I wanted to say that you're a huge inspiration to me. The way you interpret music and make what you play fit it perfectly amazes me. I'd like to be able to do it some day.

I had a kit before I moved house, which I taught myself the basics on. We then moved to a place where there was no room for my kit... :( I learned the basics, and have since taught myself a little more, learning about paradiddles and basically using my legs as a practice pad, haha. My question to you is this: once I get my kit set up again, what would suggest I work on next? I have a basic understanding of time signatures, and a good sense of rhythm and timing, so I feel like beginner lessons would be wasted on me, but after so long, would you recommend going back to the basics, and learning everything again but from behind the kit itself?

Many thanks,

Josh.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:44 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi CareyCopelandCameron

I hope the question hasnt been asked before;Will you participate at the Sonor Days 2014 again?

I don't know. I imagine not as I played at the last one - and they have many great artists to choose from.

Hi Mash

I've noticed you often use R L r r l l sticking. I was wondering whether or not you use push & pull technique to make the r r l l at very fast tempos? Also, do you have any 'favourite stickings' that you like to experiment with?

Actually the sticking I use a lot is R L R R L and sometimes I put a bass drum on the end of that (or a pedaled hi hat) which turns it into a six note run. Sometimes I double the bass drum note (the fill from Fear Of A Blank Planet is exactly that) and sometimes I just play the five notes with the hands as 16, 32, 12 or 24th notes and that produces some interesting patterns. Sometimes I accent the first note - or the second note - or the first two notes - or the last note and that all has interesting effect on the way you can voice the five notes around the drumset. I don't know exactly what you mean by "push & pull".

Hi Ludwik

I bought your CD's "Drop" and "Circles". I have to admit, that I haven't heard so emotional music for years. "Drop" is beautiful. I've never thought, that odd time signatures, and experminetal music can be friendly to listener and be emotional also. I miss the words in the booklet. Where i can find those?

I don't think they are online anywhere.

I found on You Tube your performance on MusikMesse 2007:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ934SpNcdE
Where i can find this piece? It's awesome!!! Did you write it?

Yes it's on my first DVD Rhythmic Visions and it's called "Designer". Gary Sanctuary wrote the piece.

Hi ThomasBaricevic

In conclusion. What to do when a drummer hits a creative "wall" and a blockade in his mind/heart/soul and is very dissatisfied with any future musical engagements? Should he stop and sell his drums - and say to himself "I guees it wasn't meant for me to do this, maybe there was no blessing in that."

Maybe the best advice is this - don't give up - persistence and determination are the key things. Winston Church said "Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".

Hi humberto

How do you tune the batter head in relation on the resonant head on your drums? I mean if you tune the snare batter head for example ''a 1/4 turn tighter than the resonant head ...' you know. And all the other drums... especially floor toms and bass drum to have the best sound possible

On the snare drum and the toms the bottom head is definitely tighter than the top. I can't tell you exactly by how much - you need to decide when it sounds good to you.

You tune your drums to a live situation for example as the same tuning method as a studio situation?? And about your drumheads.. Did you use the same heads however is a live or a studio situation???

I tune the same and use the same heads. The microphones are in the same position whether I'm in a studio or live so there's no real difference.

Did you play with a smallest drum sets??

No not really.

Your opinion about the difference of coated head and the clear ones.

I like the warmth and tone of a coated head - I don't really like the clear heads as the attack sounds a little bit 'plasticky' to me. On the bass drum I usually use a Remo clear Powerstroke 3 but the bass drum has a lot of dampening inside and is a different story to the rest of the drums. Sometimes I use a coated Ambassador on the bass drum and have no dampening inside the drum for a big booming sound.

Hi PearlDrummer1993

Do you ever plan to release an offical transcription book of your work with Porcupine Tree with songs like Sound of Muzak, Fear of a Blank Planet, Futile, Anesthetize, Way Out Of Here, etc.? If you do, you should collaborate with the same transcriber who did Rhythmic Designs, Terry Branam I believe, as that is a phenomenal work. I also feel it would be massively appreciated, as your work with Porcupine Tree is as you know, extremely admirable and inspiring. :)

be careful what you wish for...this exact thing could be coming true very soon.

Do you plan on playing anywhere near Massachusetts?

no plans at the moment.

Hi Illusion1409

My question to you is this: once I get my kit set up again, what would suggest I work on next? I have a basic understanding of time signatures, and a good sense of rhythm and timing, so I feel like beginner lessons would be wasted on me, but after so long, would you recommend going back to the basics, and learning everything again but from behind the kit itself?

It's always a good idea to go back to basics - maybe you will fly through them but it depends how much 'attention to detail' you give them. Can most people play a paradiddle? Yes. Can they play it perfectly? No. It depends how hard you are listening. Practising simple things always helps and working on timing is ALWAYS important. Best of luck.

cheers
Gavin
Old 12-27-2013, 01:15 AM

Hi Gavin!

My mother gave to me your book, Rhythmic Perspectives, I really like it, It was my Christmas gift...

On your last answer you told that there is a possibility to release a book with the transcriptions of PT songs. I'm really happy with this.

Can you include a cd of play-along tracks (without click) like you did with Rhythmic Design book? It's difficult find good books, with song tracks with the option "without click".

The Yamaha 9000 on e-bay is your famous snare? The snare that inspired you to create the Protean?

Thank you Gavin to help us during many years. A happy new year, and I hope that some day you visit Brazil with PT or 05Ric, or alone to make a clinic... If drums are a problem, You can use mine, It's a SQ2 inspired in your black and white tribal finish (same sizes and thickness).

Thanks,

Marcos

Last edited by Rítmico; 12-27-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:23 AM

Hi again, Gavin.

A big problem for me, when playing with friends who have guitars and basses, is snare buzz. If I'm not playing I often find myself having to switch off the snares. I've looked online at various solutions, but was curious as to your methods - how do you cope with such an annoyance?

Regards and Happy New Year,

Josh.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:21 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusion1409 View Post
how do you cope with such an annoyance?
Try cranking your snare-side head a bit tighter. Other than that, you'll never eliminate the sympathetic buzz caused by loud amplifiers, especially in small rooms, or when they are in close proximity.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:35 AM

Hello Gavin,

It is a pleasure to see you personally on this thread. I'm a bassist and your videos are of great interest to me in programming interesting grooves (unable to find a good drummer so far :( ) Anyway, on with the questions:

1. I noticed you play a marimba on 19 Days. You mentioned earlier that you don't practice with it but I wanted to ask do you ever compose melodies with it to present to either O5Ric or Porcupine Tree? Also, on 19 Days, in the video, there is a shot of you playing another melodic percussion instrument which looks like a number of small metal plates struck with a hammer. Which instrument is this?

2. You've mentioned that the ideas that you send to O5Ric usually have some basic bass and guitar riffs along with the drum rhythms. Do you ever do this in PT or are your contributions to PT limited to drum ideas?

3. You mentioned the only electronic drum equipment you use is the Korg Wavedrum and even then, usually not in a live setting. Is it because you are afraid of electronics conking out in the middle of a gig, Spinal Tap style? Also, have you ever used the Wavedrum or other electronic pads to compose melodic ideas or grooves for presentation as song ideas?

4. Are there times when you don't feel like practicing drums and you go play guitar or bass instead or do you only play guitar and bass as compositional tools when you are working on drum ideas?

Thanks a lot for your time and happy New Year to you :)
Old 12-28-2013, 06:13 PM

Hi Gavin,

Just wanted to say that I really loved your work with Antoine Fafard on "Peace 4 Four". I noticed a lot of, what I would consider, tempo changes in that piece (excuse the pun). Would the change in tempo be what you call "metric modulation"? I noticed a lot of triplets on the bass/guitar during these "tempo shifts" and thought maybe they just went from 4/4 to 12/8?

I've also been enjoying your work with Ed Poole. It seems there is NO genre you cannot play, at least in my opinion. Everything from the heaviest PT song to the lightest and funkiest Ed Poole song, you just seem to nail everything perfectly. Did you have to study each genre individually? Or is it more just a culmination of all the different artists you've worked with over the years?

Thanks for your time :)

Last edited by euphoric_anomaly; 12-28-2013 at 06:14 PM. Reason: grammatic error
Old 12-30-2013, 12:51 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Rítmico

On your last answer you told that there is a possibility to release a book with the transcriptions of PT songs. I'm really happy with this.Can you include a cd of play-along tracks (without click) like you did with Rhythmic Design book? It's difficult find good books, with song tracks with the option "without click".

I did think long and hard about that option - but there are a lot of problems with it regarding copyright.

The Yamaha 9000 on e-bay is your famous snare? The snare that inspired you to create the Protean?

No - it's one of my spares.

Thank you Gavin to help us during many years. A happy new year, and I hope that some day you visit Brazil with PT or 05Ric, or alone to make a clinic... If drums are a problem, You can use mine, It's a SQ2 inspired in your black and white tribal finish (same sizes and thickness).

OK thanks.

Hi Illusion1409

A big problem for me, when playing with friends who have guitars and basses, is snare buzz. If I'm not playing I often find myself having to switch off the snares. I've looked online at various solutions, but was curious as to your methods - how do you cope with such an annoyance?

If I have time I turn the snares off when I'm not playing.There's not much you can do about it. Being in close proximity - you will have that problem. Try cutting down some old snare wires to just 8 strands and see if that helps.

Hi aksnitd

1. I noticed you play a marimba on 19 Days. You mentioned earlier that you don't practice with it but I wanted to ask do you ever compose melodies with it to present to either O5Ric or Porcupine Tree? Also, on 19 Days, in the video, there is a shot of you playing another melodic percussion instrument which looks like a number of small metal plates struck with a hammer. Which instrument is this?

No I don't really compose on the marimba. The only time I did was on the "19 Days" tune. The instrument that appears later in the song is Gamelan (played by my friends Dave Stewart and Barbara Gaskin).

2. You've mentioned that the ideas that you send to O5Ric usually have some basic bass and guitar riffs along with the drum rhythms. Do you ever do this in PT or are your contributions to PT limited to drum ideas?

Yes I have done this with PT. "Nil Recurring" is a good example of that.

3. You mentioned the only electronic drum equipment you use is the Korg Wavedrum and even then, usually not in a live setting. Is it because you are afraid of electronics conking out in the middle of a gig, Spinal Tap style? Also, have you ever used the Wavedrum or other electronic pads to compose melodic ideas or grooves for presentation as song ideas?

I haven't found a band that I felt I wanted to use the electronics in. I've had my moments in the past triggering electronics and playing them from an Octapad - but I never really loved doing it.

4. Are there times when you don't feel like practicing drums and you go play guitar or bass instead or do you only play guitar and bass as compositional tools when you are working on drum ideas?

I do occasionally play the bass or guitar but I'm pretty bad at them so it only lasts a few minutes before my fingers hurt or I've run out of ideas. I tend to only pick them up once I have an interesting drum pattern that I want to play to.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

Just wanted to say that I really loved your work with Antoine Fafard on "Peace 4 Four". I noticed a lot of, what I would consider, tempo changes in that piece (excuse the pun). Would the change in tempo be what you call "metric modulation"? I noticed a lot of triplets on the bass/guitar during these "tempo shifts" and thought maybe they just went from 4/4 to 12/8?

There were no tempo changes - only illusions of such with the use of metric modulation.

I've also been enjoying your work with Ed Poole. It seems there is NO genre you cannot play, at least in my opinion. Everything from the heaviest PT song to the lightest and funkiest Ed Poole song, you just seem to nail everything perfectly. Did you have to study each genre individually? Or is it more just a culmination of all the different artists you've worked with over the years?

I don't really like to think about genres.There's just good music and bad music in my opinion. I approach it all the same - try to make the time feel good and find something interesting to play. Simple!!!

cheers
Gavin
Old 01-11-2014, 09:10 PM

Hey Mr. Harrison,

I just wanted to tell you that you are a great inspiration to me, an 18-year-old American percussionist. Your drumming shows me just how musical, tasteful, and creative drum set playing can be.

Do you have any plans to play in the US anytime soon? I'd gladly travel to attend a clinic or show of yours.

Thank you for your time,
Sam
Old 01-12-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samshster View Post

Do you have any plans to play in the US anytime soon? I'd gladly travel to attend a clinic or show of yours.
Gavin toured the States towards the end of last year.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusion1409 View Post
Gavin toured the States towards the end of last year.
Yes, but I couldn't make it to any of the dates. So I'm hoping he's planning to come back soon.

And another question for Mr. Harrison: How can I begin to incorperate rudiments into my drum set playing? I've been working on fills based on the left flam triplet, and it really inspires me to bring in other rudiments to my set playing. Any advice on how to do this?

Thank you,
Sam
Old 01-25-2014, 01:32 AM
Gold Member

Hey Gavin!

My question is about A Status and B Status. Your opinion is that the drummer should never wade from the A Status (as per Rhythmic Illusions and numerous other materials). But most of the time, when playing an illusion what we strive for is to make it feel as much as how it feels when we play the original B Status, while still anchored to the original Status/tempo.

Since many drummers extensively use programmed metronomes live (like I do, and you've stated you do most of the time as well), why not just change the clicks up at that point? Or even just the accents if it's the same feel/subdivision (straight or triplet). Why not embrace the B Status instead of playing "against the grain" (metronome), and forcing a foreign beat to feel as natural as possible? After all, we do have the metronome to keep us anchored. I'm not suggesting this out of an inability to play in the A status, but if what we are looking for is to fit a different tempo as naturally as possible into another one, why not just play that tempo?

I know, this concept sort of ruins the magic. But I'm very eager to hear your thoughts!

All the best,

Fox
Old 01-25-2014, 02:26 AM

Hello Mr. Gavin.

Could you share some thoughts about Your choice of a drum stool? Did You use round-shaped stools in the early days? How did Your leg performance and overall leg feel change after You started using bicycle saddle-shaped? I am after getting a new drum stool after using a cheap Mapex round seat stool for 3 years. Of course I do not expect my legs to play faster or easier after I get a bicycle shaped one, but I do believe that it should let the blood flow more freely and thus make it easier to play.

Looking forward to hearing Your opinion on this.
Thanks.

Cheers from Lithuania!
Old 01-27-2014, 12:20 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Samshster

No plans at the moment other than I'm pretty sure King Crimson will be playing in the States later this year - I don't exactly where yet.

How can I begin to incorperate rudiments into my drum set playing? I've been working on fills based on the left flam triplet, and it really inspires me to bring in other rudiments to my set playing. Any advice on how to do this?

Here's a very interesting site with a huge amount of hybrid rudiments http://www.ninjadrummist.com/drum-ru...-encyclopedia/ you might find some that you'd want to work out on the drumset. It's not really about how many rudiments you can play but how inventive you can make them around the drums.

Hi Fox622003

My question is about A Status and B Status. Your opinion is that the drummer should never wade from the A Status (as per Rhythmic Illusions and numerous other materials). But most of the time, when playing an illusion what we strive for is to make it feel as much as how it feels when we play the original B Status, while still anchored to the original Status/tempo. Since many drummers extensively use programmed metronomes live (like I do, and you've stated you do most of the time as well), why not just change the clicks up at that point?

At the moment that I might feel inspired to play some kind of 'rhythmic illusion' during a fill or solo section I wouldn't have time to stop and program the metronome. I only superimpose these illusions for a very short amount of time and I don't know exactly when I might do them. I just hear them as syncopation.

... if what we are looking for is to fit a different tempo as naturally as possible into another one, why not just play that tempo?

If I was setting up a modulation to go into another tempo - and it was part of the arrangement of the song - then yes I would program the click to change into the new tempo. If the 'implied tempo' change was just for a bar or so - I wouldn't bother.

Hi scottishhaggis

Could you share some thoughts about Your choice of a drum stool? Did You use round-shaped stools in the early days? How did Your leg performance and overall leg feel change after You started using bicycle saddle-shaped? I am after getting a new drum stool after using a cheap Mapex round seat stool for 3 years. Of course I do not expect my legs to play faster or easier after I get a bicycle shaped one, but I do believe that it should let the blood flow more freely and thus make it easier to play.

I've used the saddle shape for many years now - and feel more comfortable on it than a round one. For the past few years I've used the Porter & Davies BC2 and my one has the saddle shape to it.

cheers
Gavin
Old 01-27-2014, 10:40 AM

Hi Gavin

Have you ever used brass snare drums? May i ask about your point on them?

Thanks
Gustavo

Last edited by Gus; 01-27-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:31 PM

Hi Gavin,
I wasn't on the forum for ages. Since I'm looking for more information about sonor Prolite series i think about asking you question as you have recently opprotunity to play Prolite drums on your Canada clinic tour.
Can you compare those drums to your maple SQ2? Mainly Vinage shells are the same but the hardware and suspensions change the sound which is better in SQ2 series? did you notice any other differences? Can you compare prolite sound to any other drums?

Do you have any SQ2 set made from beech wood? I'm condireing in ordering SQ2 made from beech once prices are slightly better than maple.

Thank you in advance for your help!!!

I hope you will be visiting Poland soon as hope that you will be able to play in Center on North!!

regards,
Rafal
Old 01-29-2014, 08:07 PM

I don't mean to sound like a huge fan who think's you're god reincarnate, but is there anything you can't do, or really struggle with? I've seen videos on YouTube and everything seems so effortless - do you really find such complex arrangements so easy?
Old 02-03-2014, 08:45 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Gus

Have you ever used brass snare drums? May i ask about your point on them?

Many years ago I used to play a couple of Ludwig brass snare drums and I liked them very much. I haven't played one lately.

Hi dejus

Since I'm looking for more information about sonor Prolite series i think about asking you question as you have recently opprotunity to play Prolite drums on your Canada clinic tour.
Can you compare those drums to your maple SQ2? Mainly Vinage shells are the same but the hardware and suspensions change the sound which is better in SQ2 series? did you notice any other differences? Can you compare prolite sound to any other drums?

I really enjoyed playing the Prolite series - and in many ways they are the same as the SQ2s with the vintage shells. I couldn't notice a sound difference due to the hardware mounts but I haven't done a controlled studio A/B test either. I haven't really played any other manufactures drums for the last 13 years so I don't know what to compare them with.

Do you have any SQ2 set made from beech wood? I'm condireing in ordering SQ2 made from beech once prices are slightly better than maple.

I don't have a Beech SQ2 so I can't help you with that - but I have never played a bad sounding Sonor "Made In Germany" drumset.

Hi Illusion1409

I don't mean to sound like a huge fan who think's you're god reincarnate, but is there anything you can't do, or really struggle with? I've seen videos on YouTube and everything seems so effortless - do you really find such complex arrangements so easy?

thanks. Of course when you see a clip of me playing something complex on YouTube - don't forget I rehearsed the hell out of it before I went on stage.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-04-2014, 06:18 AM

Gavin:

I thoroughly enjoyed your clinic hosted by Vic in Chicago last fall. I've been playing your signature model sticks ever since they first came out. All of a sudden, recently, I've had two break on me within 5-10 minutes of playing them. Do you ever get a "bad" set of sticks or have them break soon after playing a new set?

Old 02-06-2014, 09:59 AM

Hi Gavin,
Thanks that you have time to reply on my post. This is always great to hear from you.

I'm more and more convicing myself to choose Prolites instead of SQ2 as mainly is should be really similar especially the shell quality is the same.

Firstly I need to sold my Masterworks set up to get new drum. I think Sonor would give me more open and warm sound I'm looking for right now.

Keep drumming and all the best for you.

Rafal
Old 02-11-2014, 01:08 PM

Hello Gavin,

I was fortunate to meet you in person and see your clinic at Vic's (Martyrs) in Chicago last fall. It was wonderful. Thank you for such a great clinic and thank you for being here and sharing your thoughts and experience. I would also like to thank you for producing your lesson dvds and books which I have purchased and am learning a lot from. I hope to see you on tour again someday.

Best regards,
Scott W.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:30 PM

Hi Gavin,

I like listening to music, different kinds of music, like yesterday I was listening to a lot of David Gilmour, today I gravitate towards Metallica, a couple of days ago I was watching PT Octane Twisted dvd - what do you listen to these days?

Also, could you name some of your favourite recordings? (of yourself playing drums of course), not necessarily complicated drum parts you like, but songs.
Although I like rhythmic illusions, complicated patterns and so on, I'm more interested in songs - making music.

Thanks, m.

p.s. taking the time to answer all these questions is really cool on your part, just by doing this you prove, apart from being an absolute amazing drummer/musician that you are a really nice guy too!
Old 02-12-2014, 06:11 PM

Default What happens now polyrhythm

Hi Gavin,
I have been trying to get my ears around the section that starts with the distorted guitar coming in at about the 5 minute mark. It's in 5/4 (a loop used in another song im pretty sure) after 8 bars you come in with i think a 3/4 on the ride but I haven't got a clue what you playing for the backbeat.
Please come visit Glasgow if your doing clinic tours again, it would be great to have youb here, thomas lang is gonna be here soon and thats a real treat but if i was honest I prefer your style!

Many thanks,
Tam Hewitt-Baker
Old 02-16-2014, 04:00 PM

Hi all
so many pages here that it must already be listed .....

Fear of a blank planet BUT that wall of notes at 4 mins ??
starts on about beat 4

im guessing that its a lot along the lines of loads of 5 groupings
can anyone point me in the direction of whats really going on ha... YIKES !
Thanks
Old 02-16-2014, 11:41 PM

Hi Gavin,

I signed my Sonor endorsee contract this morning...super excited to get my hands on your signature snare, it's apparently on the water from Germany, heading to Africa as I type this :)

I'm getting an Ascent as well. Have you played on an Ascent kit? I'm interested in what you may have to say about it. I play pop, country and small jazz gigs mostly (though I'm taking the plunge and getting a Martini as well...should be interesting!) and I'm hoping the Ascent's beech sound will be what I'm after: sustain, but not as much as maple and more than birch; great tone.

Anyway, great to see you here. Any plans to come to South Africa?
Cheers

EDIT: What are the chances! The Sonor AR guy says you'll be here in April! Looking forward to meeting you in Johannesburg. I'll bring my Protean and a felt tip marker :)

Last edited by Bradley Cooper; 02-19-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:52 PM

Hey Gavin,
do you know the SONOR Pure Canadian Snare Drums? Have you tested or even played them? If yes, what's your opinion on these 13 ply Canadian Maple Drums?

Thanks.

Keep up your great work
Kind regards
Stefan
Old 02-21-2014, 01:49 AM

Default Re: What happens now polyrhythm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamhewittbaker View Post
Hi Gavin,
I have been trying to get my ears around the section that starts with the distorted guitar coming in at about the 5 minute mark. It's in 5/4 (a loop used in another song im pretty sure) after 8 bars you come in with i think a 3/4 on the ride but I haven't got a clue what you playing for the backbeat.
Please come visit Glasgow if your doing clinic tours again, it would be great to have youb here, thomas lang is gonna be here soon and thats a real treat but if i was honest I prefer your style!

Many thanks,
Tam Hewitt-Baker
Hey Tam,
I asked the same question and he revealed his secret formula. The guitars are in 5/8, he plays 7/8 (along with the bassist) with a dotted 8th on the ride. After many bars of that, they go into 12/8.

Back to reality: It's one of my favorite songs by PT and one of the trickiest drum lines I've heard Gavin lay down. Then again, I don't think I've heard a "simple" drum track from Gavin that didn't require some head scratching.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:50 AM

Hi Gavin, I want to start by saying I'm a big fan of you and you're playing man! Love your gentle yet powerful touches and wonderful playing. I do have a question, What are your top 5 cymbals you've ever played and why? Thanks man! :)
Old 02-21-2014, 12:31 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Embalmer

I've been playing your signature model sticks ever since they first came out. All of a sudden, recently, I've had two break on me within 5-10 minutes of playing them. Do you ever get a "bad" set of sticks or have them break soon after playing a new set?

Yes I've broken sticks that quickly before - but wood is a natural and somewhat unpredictable material. Sometimes one pair of sticks have lasted ages. I guess it's just in the luck of the wood.

Hi Marian Cimpian

I like listening to music, different kinds of music, like yesterday I was listening to a lot of David Gilmour, today I gravitate towards Metallica, a couple of days ago I was watching PT Octane Twisted dvd - what do you listen to these days?

I listen to all kinds of things. I was recently enjoying Manu Katche's new CD. Here's an interview I did about some of my favourite recordings http://www.musicradar.com/news/drums...lbums-571051/1

Also, could you name some of your favourite recordings? (of yourself playing drums of course), not necessarily complicated drum parts you like, but songs.

I don't tend to listen to stuff I've recorded - but I was happy with how some of it turned out.

Hi tamhewittbaker

What happens now polyrhythm

7/8 with a 3/16ths override on the ride. There's also some ghost notes in the left hand missing from this transcription.
Name:  WhatHappensNow.jpg
Views: 1935
Size:  60.4 KB

Hi Timzy

Fear of a blank planet BUT that wall of notes at 4 mins ??
starts on about beat 4 im guessing that its a lot along the lines of loads of 5 groupings
can anyone point me in the direction of whats really going on ha... YIKES !

I don't know if I (or Terry Branam) have ever tried to transcribe that one. I'm sure that my 5 sticking is in there R L R R L somewhere... AND on the subject of PT transcriptions - Terry and I have been hard at work over the past few years making this new book.
Name:  Rhythmic Composition.jpg
Views: 1930
Size:  55.0 KB
which will be released in a few months. I will have some advanced copies which I will sign and make available from the web site www.burningshed.com but only a limited number. I'll announce their sale from my FaceBook page - so if you're interested make sure you've 'liked' my FB page. The book doesn't include a DVD or play-alongs but there are in-depth stories and photos about all the 20 songs that we picked and note-for-note transcriptions from Terry that are AMAZING.

Hi Bradley Cooper

I signed my Sonor endorsee contract this morning...super excited to get my hands on your signature snare, it's apparently on the water from Germany, heading to Africa as I type this :)

Excellent - I hope you like it.

I'm getting an Ascent as well. Have you played on an Ascent kit?

Yes and it was really good.

Anyway, great to see you here. Any plans to come to South Africa?

There is a plan - hope to see you there.

Hi heaven'stef

do you know the SONOR Pure Canadian Snare Drums? Have you tested or even played them? If yes, what's your opinion on these 13 ply Canadian Maple Drums?

I played one on a six date clinic tour of Canada and I really enjoyed it. It's quite a powerful drum so mind your ears!

Hi DrummingAllNightLong

What are your top 5 cymbals you've ever played and why?

I'm happy to say that I have a few of them in my possession right now. In fact I'm very lucky to have so many great and inspiring cymbals here.
1940's A Zildjian 20" ride that belonged to my old drum teacher Joe Hodson. Unfortunately I split it close to the bell. I can still play it but I'm very worried about the split getting any bigger.
I have one of the final prototypes that Zildjian made of the 21" Custom Dark Complex Ride -it's an absolute beauty.
I also have some of the final prototypes of a pair of 14" K Constantinople hi hats.
I have a 22" Zildjian Swish Knocker from the 1970's that I was kindly given from another one of my drum teachers Paul Brodie.
I bought an 18" K ride that was made at the Canadian factory in the late 1970's that's really nice too.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-22-2014, 12:11 AM

Thanks
its a blur of notes alright :) (looks for slow motion mode and a pen)

*Book is on the wish list already*

Talking of 5s to get these to groupings to land in friendly places,starting on beat 4
seems to be the order of the day.( or on a 3 to land on a beat 4)

That brings me round to the topic that is the most baffling at the mo
(now that ive got 5/16 and 7/16s note loops going all over the place )

where to start them and where are they coming out at ?

the (1).2.(3).4.5 type of feel i can hear,the rest are a bit freaky

maybe for now i need a basic chart of in and out points : /

when they head off into triplet format i need to get my pen out : /

last question the 3 over ride on the 7/8,did you write that out at first or just feel it ?

phew
right im off to raid the packet of crab sticks i have stashed at the beck of the fridge ..
Ta

Timzy
Old 02-22-2014, 12:17 PM

This is a non drum relation question. Well, drum related, but not specifically about drums. With Simon Phillips recently departing from Toto tour with Protocol they added Keith Carlock (which makes sense given the Steely Dan connection). Were you ever approached about the Toto gig? If you weren't, is it something you'd consider in lieu of your current work with Porcupine Tree and 05ric (and whoever else)?