DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 11-20-2013, 10:52 PM

Default New pedal, weird "clicky" feel

I just bought a new pedal and whenever I hit the kick, right before, I feel a weird click/lag. Is this just the spring being broken in? I've checked everything, but I'm pretty sure it's the spring.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:24 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: New pedal, weird "clicky" feel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanPipeline View Post
I just bought a new pedal and whenever I hit the kick, right before, I feel a weird click/lag. Is this just the spring being broken in? I've checked everything, but I'm pretty sure it's the spring.
What brand of pedal?...also, does the pedal have adjustments for footboard height?...if so your footboard if not adjusted correctly could be striking the hoop clamp mechanism underneath it before striking head...
Old 11-21-2013, 01:16 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Also, if a chain drive, make sure the chain travels evenly from the front of the footboard into the channel on the cam, and not at an angle. Pulling at an angle can make a little click, even though the pedal feels normal. Don't assume that it was correctly adjusted at the factory... I was surprised to find that a new pedal had that problem.

If that's the problem, it's easy to fix - simply readjust the cam along the crossbar/axle so that the chain pulls straight up & down. Should take about 15 seconds.

Bermuda
Old 11-21-2013, 12:13 PM

Depending on the make and model, pedals can have the most annoying, hard to find noises. You can put your ear to it and know it's there and search and find nothing loose. If there are hex nuts holding things together loosen them (you may encounter Lock Tite), then re-tighten because they might not have been fully tightened when assembled.

It could be something in the spring assembly. It can be something loose in the posts attached to the floor plate, or something loose in the heel assembly, or clamp assembly. It could be inside the bearings. It can drive you mad. Take the pedal apart and reassemble it. It might go away. If not ... learn to live with it, or get another unit, or pedal altogether.

Since the days of Speed Kings and other older pedals it is amazing how used to silent pedals we have become, so any sound is quickly picked up and aggravation begins to set in.