DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 11-05-2013, 01:34 AM

Default DW 5000 hardware issue

Hey everybody- I was playing my dw 5002 recently and noticed some play in the axle or whatever it's called. Ive isolated where it's coming from(it's the inner bearing) but Im trying to figure out how to get it apart. All the tiny hex? screws all fairly rusted in their hidy holes. Ive also heard they install them with low grade loc-tite at the factory. Any suggestions on how to get these out? I was thinking PB blaster? Thanks Jason
Old 11-05-2013, 02:24 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: DW 5000 hardware issue

Leverage. Put your Allen wrench (those hex screws are called Allen screws) on the screw, then clamp a vice grip to the end of the Allen wrench. You should have no issues removing them.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
Leverage. Put your Allen wrench (those hex screws are called Allen screws) on the screw, then clamp a vice grip to the end of the Allen wrench. You should have no issues removing them.
If there's corrosion in the threads, that's a good way to strip the Allen bolt hex insertion and then you might really be screwed (pardon the pun).

I recommend Liquid Wrench, letting it soak for a few minutes, then trying removal by hand - no vises or Vise Grips. These are small, relatively delicate screws and can be easily stripped.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:27 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
If there's corrosion in the threads, that's a good way to strip the Allen bolt hex insertion and then you might really be screwed (pardon the pun).

I recommend Liquid Wrench, letting it soak for a few minutes, then trying removal by hand - no vises or Vise Grips. These are small, relatively delicate screws and can be easily stripped.
As small as the Allen screws are on pedals, chances are the little skinny wrench will give out before the screw (I've broken a few), but yeah, if a little extra leverage doesn't work try the PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench. There is also a product called CRC Freeze Off that freezes the screw, causing it to contract and actually breaks the rust between the screw and what it threads into.

If using PB Blaster, make sure you keep it off of plastics and rubber. It can affect them negatively, e.g. it makes rubber expand sometimes depending on amount and exposure time.