DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-29-2013, 06:10 AM
EricT43 EricT43 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 186
Default 3/8" memory locks

Hi guys.

Did you know that a cymbal boom arm has 6 possible adjustments?!?! Up/down in the clamp, rotation in the clamp, up/down on the ratchet, rotation of the rod in the ratchet, extension length of the rod in the ratchet, and tilt angle of the cymbal holder. No wonder it takes so bloody long for me to set up my cymbals!

I recently got myself a PDP rack, and so far I'm loving it. My goal is to get my setup time as low as possible, since I rehearse and/or gig a couple of times per week. That means memory locks on everything!

I have some older booms stands that I'm using with the rack (minus the bases of course). The boom rods are 3/8" in diameter, versus the 1/2" that is typical today, and I have not been able to find memory locks for them. Any idea where I can get some?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-29-2013, 06:15 AM
porter's Avatar
porter porter is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,571
Default Re: 3/8" memory locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricT43 View Post
Hi guys.

Did you know that a cymbal boom arm has 6 possible adjustments?!?! Up/down in the clamp, rotation in the clamp, up/down on the ratchet, rotation of the rod in the ratchet, extension length of the rod in the ratchet, and tilt angle of the cymbal holder. No wonder it takes so bloody long for me to set up my cymbals!

I recently got myself a PDP rack, and so far I'm loving it. My goal is to get my setup time as low as possible, since I rehearse and/or gig a couple of times per week. That means memory locks on everything!

I have some older booms stands that I'm using with the rack (minus the bases of course). The boom rods are 3/8" in diameter, versus the 1/2" that is typical today, and I have not been able to find memory locks for them. Any idea where I can get some?
Huh, that is a lot of adjustments!

You'd probably have more luck if you searched for the meter equivalent, which is 10.5mm. I know Gibraltar makes a memory lock for that size but can't remember the specific model number. Anyways, should be plenty of options.
__________________
Check out my Youtube channel!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-29-2013, 06:14 PM
EricT43 EricT43 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 186
Default Re: 3/8" memory locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter View Post
Huh, that is a lot of adjustments!

You'd probably have more luck if you searched for the meter equivalent, which is 10.5mm. I know Gibraltar makes a memory lock for that size but can't remember the specific model number. Anyways, should be plenty of options.
Good idea. Although my math says that 3/8" is 9.5mm. Looks like there are a few options on eBay...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-29-2013, 07:40 PM
EricT43 EricT43 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 186
Default Re: 3/8" memory locks

Actually, I remeasured with my calipers and they are closer to 7/16", which seem to correspond to the 10.5mm that you mentioned. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-30-2013, 05:40 AM
porter's Avatar
porter porter is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,571
Default Re: 3/8" memory locks

Oh, whoops. I got confused, yeah- it's 9.5mm. Anyways, they're very close, and it seems that it's 7/16" anyways so...yeah. Good luck!
__________________
Check out my Youtube channel!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-30-2013, 06:58 AM
MrInsanePolack's Avatar
MrInsanePolack MrInsanePolack is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 1,393
Default Re: 3/8" memory locks

7/16" is 11.11mm
.........................
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-30-2013, 08:18 AM
porter's Avatar
porter porter is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,571
Default Re: 3/8" memory locks

I could have sworn that there was some actual fraction behind 10.5mm but it seems not so. Maybe it was just a manufacturer adding 1mm to 9.5mm.
__________________
Check out my Youtube channel!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-30-2013, 03:39 PM
Zickos's Avatar
Zickos Zickos is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,046
Default Re: 3/8" memory locks

I think I have some. How many do you need?
__________________
Drums are the best psychiatry
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-30-2013, 04:55 PM
EricT43 EricT43 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 186
Default Re: 3/8" memory locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zickos View Post
I think I have some. How many do you need?
Thanks for the offer, Zickos, but I already ordered some yesterday!

For anyone else interested, I found Gibraltar 10.5mm hinged memory locks at Lonestar Percussion.

GC and Musician's Friend have the same one in sizes from 1/2" (12.7mm) up to 1". (come to think of it, Lonestar might have those sizes too, but I didn't check - I just went there because MF didn't have 10.5mm.)

Until they arrive, I'll be using my backup method, which consists of tape and a Sharpie. Just line up the tape and the marks...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com