DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:20 AM

Default Flattening toms?

How do you feel about flattening your toms? Like do you put them on snare stands, or keep them at extreme upward angles? What's your preference?
Old 10-23-2013, 06:38 AM

Default Re: Flattening toms?

I like to give my rack tom just enough height so that I can do cross-unders with my left hand, and rim shots if need be. I usually have it in a snare stand, angled toward me.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:46 AM

I use a rack to keep all my toms flat and relatively level with my snare.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:07 PM
Gold Member

Wow level with snare. I can see why you'd have them flat. My toms are mounted on a kick so they are anled 10 degrees or so towards me. If I try them flat - it's rim shot city!

Davo
Old 10-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo-London View Post
Wow level with snare. I can see why you'd have them flat. My toms are mounted on a kick so they are anled 10 degrees or so towards me. If I try them flat - it's rim shot city!

Davo
This is the same for me. Im tall so I could never sit high enough to play a mounted tom on my 24 inch bass drum. My snare is slightly angled as well. I do keep my floor toms flat though.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:17 PM
Silver Member

I use a tom stand, I like the tom over the bass drum a bit and snare stands really cant do that as well. I have found that toms mounted to the bass drum sit too high for me so I bought a kit with a virgin bass drum so I can mount the toms how I like them.

I have flattened by toms out quite a bit over the years. When I first started I had the Lars, Nikko tom angles. Now I have about a 10 degree angle as well. I have also gone to a 1 up 2 down setup which lends itself to a flatter mounted tom setup.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Platinum Member

My rack tom(s) have gotten progressively more level over the last ten years, to the point where it's now completely parallell to the ground. I'm not sure why it happened, but I'm guessing it has something to do with moving (unconciously) from a somewhat french to a more german-like grip. This move has caused the stick to be much more comfortable hitting a drum that's mounted reasonably (or completely) flat.

I alternate between a tom stand and snare stand. Right now I'm using a tom stand, and I'm liking it, but I'll probably move back to a snare stand again within a year. And then back again. Basically, I keep both stands around and use whichever one I feel like.

My snare and floor toms are about level with my thighs, and my rack tom is probably about 10-20 cm higher (4-8 inches).
Old 10-23-2013, 03:29 PM

My snare drum and floor tom sit really low, and then my rack tom is pretty high up. It's mounted on a snare stand, but it's far from level. I keep it angled slightly toward me, and just a stroke more shallow to the right. I'm an odd ball who likes a bit of distance when moving to different parts of my kit. The reason for this is all the wasted movements I play with. If my stuff was lower and close to me, I'd be hitting everything as I move around.

Often when I'm playing a moderate tempo 4/4 groove with no ghost notes, I'll strike the snare drum and immediately recoil and swing the stick away from the drum, up and around the hi hats, and then back to the drum in time to play the next lick. And if I'm about to play a fill coming to the end of a bar, my elbow will close, and I'll hold the stick next to my head until time to use that hand. I just do all sorts of things like that, maybe subconciously for showmanship. I also jump off my seat when I'm doing a hard cymbal crash.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:57 PM

I put them at angles that feel comfortable - nothing more, nothing less. I don't subscribe to setting up drums based just on looks; if it's not comfortable, then it's not for me.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_C View Post
I put them at angles that feel comfortable - nothing more, nothing less. I don't subscribe to setting up drums based just on looks; if it's not comfortable, then it's not for me.
+1

I keep everything tilted ever so slightly towards me. It's my cymbals that are always flat.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:09 AM

I have a 20 inch kick now so i can get my toms lower and flatter. use mounts off my cymbal stand.

Id never go full flat to avoid rim shots.. but flatter helps me play faster, and if i can have them lower and closer to the height of my snare its easier for very fast rolls/fills.

id almost like to go to an 18 eventually because with 3 rack toms they are right over the kick so i end up tilting them towards me enough so im not hitting the rims.

I do sometimes sit a bit low though
Old 10-25-2013, 07:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Good for you. Also: Noone here has said anything about setting up for looks.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

Flat toms and cymbals seem to be drum fashion,the same as putting a tom on a snare stand ,and sticking it way out there.

There some players who did that in the 60's.Ginger Baker still sets up his toms flat,and Dino Danelli at one time put his mounted tom on a snare stand,but not flat.His cymbals were also at one time,flat.He did change that after realizing that he was cracking way too many,and now,all of his cymbals are angled

As far as snare stand mounted toms,Slingerland in fact in their 64 catalog ,sold a model called "The Jet" ,which came with a 14x18 virgin bass drum,that had stick saver 18" rims,instead of wooden hoops.The set also came with a snare stand for the 8x12 virgin tom.This didn't catch on at all,and those drum sets are indeed rare and collectable

This aspect of drum fashion will pass,just as deep bass drums are beginning to disapear,in favor of shallower ,punchier 14 and 12" deep bass drums.The actual Idea for deep bass drums came from Louis Bellson,who had a Gretsch set with two 20x20 bass drums......in 1947.

My drums,including my floor toms, are set up slightly angled to me.as well as all of my cymbals.They are much easier for me to play that way.

As far as flat and low set ups,,they will slowly disapear,and what was old,will again become new.

Steve B
Old 10-25-2013, 04:41 PM

I don't think flat toms are as much a fashion in themselves as they are a practical result of the tendencies for both "virgin" bass drums and for toms to be shallower than 20 years ago. It also seems like most people have caught on to the concept of back pain so they arent sitting as low.

Add those three things to a new set bought by someone used to playing power toms and I think most people would look at them and say "those don't need to be angled like Mickey Mouse ears anymore"
Old 10-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Silver Member

What ever works for you, thats the ticket.

http://www.youtube.com/user/slfsc
Old 10-25-2013, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
This is me exactly also.

I had deep bass drums since 1990. That's WAY before they became popular.
I've also used a hi hat side floor tom for over 20 years too. I copped it from seeing Papa Joe in a video with one way back when. Now it's become popular to do in the last couple years.

My ft's are flat, but angled outward, so I don't have to turn much, if at all to get to the 2nd ft.
Similar to Steve Smith, but maybe not as "outward" as he uses them.
My snare is angled away from me a little, and my tom is almost flat. The snare height usually ends up at about half the shell depth of the tom.
Even though I mainly use a 26, the tom is still basically in front of my snare.

This all just fits my stroke, and placements are where my hands land naturally.

I like the sound of the deeper bass drums. Not that I don't like the "traditional" sound, but I like an 18" or 20" depth shell too.
Coincidentally, I'm going to 18" instead of 20" deep on my giging bass drums right now. TBH, it's just easier lug around being a little shorter, and not having to adjust the strap lengths on the case for different bass drums is nice.

Nothing to do with the sound being better on one or the other. I like them both in sound. I already had 1, 18" deep bass drum, so I had another one cut down (to 18") that had the Mach (long) lugs.
I dig the sound my 14" & 16" deep bass drum too. I like the look of both long and short bass drums.

Everything old becomes new again is right, but, I'll be using my same set up when everyone thinks that a traditional 5 piece, 2 up, one down is the way to go.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidline303 View Post
I don't think flat toms are as much a fashion in themselves as they are a practical result of the tendencies for both "virgin" bass drums and for toms to be shallower than 20 years ago. It also seems like most people have caught on to the concept of back pain so they arent sitting as low.

Add those three things to a new set bought by someone used to playing power toms and I think most people would look at them and say "those don't need to be angled like Mickey Mouse ears anymore"
Standard sized toms were also available 20 years ago,as well as since the 40's,up to and including today.Power toms were drum fashion,with power tom sizes STILL available from drum makers as well as from shell manufacturers.

The consept of the virgin bass drum is also nothing new,as toms were mounted on bass drums using clamps ,since the mid 30's.Now we're just using clamps to mount them to racks and cymbal stands.

The consept of virgin bass drums being better sonicly is again,more drum re- fashion than actually decernable.I'd love to hear a blind comparison test of a virgin drum and one that has mounts attached.

It is in truth , more style than actual substance.

As far as flat toms,just as one example,Emmanule Cappalette has superb posture while playing,and nothing is flat about her set up at all.The same can be said for Simon Phillips.Just watch him play .He uses 24" bass drums and deep toms,and has excellent posture.He also dosen't seem to have to struggle to play his kit at all considering he's only around 5'6".

Posture is all about there you sit,in relation to your set up,and keeping your back stright and not reaching for everything.The whole powertom angleing thing was more about looks and using 14x13 and 15x14 and even larger toms with 24-26 ' bass drums.

I had a 12/13 power toms set up and a 22" bass drum.No Mickey Mouse ear angles were necessary.

No matter what set up you use,if you sit too high or too low,and don't have everything is easy reach......you'll have problems that smaller bass drums and flat toms can't cure.

I disagree and I still contend flat tom set ups are drum fashion,and will go the way of Chinese toms.

I'll also go a step further and say the vast majority of drummers play their kits set up since the way the've been set up since the 40's,and setting up with flat toms is greatly limited to younger players only.

If you like flat toms,then hey,what ever blows your hair back,but better for posture and more ergonomic? Horsey turd.Bangs and the foward comb are as big as they were in the 60's too..:)

Steve B

Last edited by tamadrm; 10-25-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:44 PM

Travis Barker plays with flat toms so its not exactly just this generation.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle View Post
I mean, this younger generation is his demographic.. I don't necessarily think that the flat toms and such are completely about the looks, but I do believe that a large part of it is, and I'll be the first to admit that I always consider the looks of my setup, and as long as it doesn't hinder my playing, I'll go for the setup that looks 'cooler', because these days, looks are very important. Travis Barker is pretty much who made flat toms the 'cool thing', and I think we can all agree that he doesn't do it for playability.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle View Post
I believe I said"greatly limited to younger players only",if you would re-read my post.I certainly wasn't disecting generations .

I also said "greatly" which dosen't mean all the time,and is not all inclusive.

Travis Barker is still in his 30's.He was born in 75.He is still a young man by ANY standard,and also needs to maintain a visual youthfull appearence in both his physical appearence ,and that of his gear to remain viable as an artist and an endorcer.If you think 30's is old,then you must be 13.

Do you believe that an artist like him dosen't do anything to maintain a fan base?

It's the same reason actors/musicians die their hair,get plastic surgery and drive cool cars

Sometimes it's just being shallow,other times,it's business smart to remain fashonable.

What would you or others say,if Vinny Colaiuta suddenly turned up a month from now,all tattet /pierced up,playing a lime green acrylic 4 piece kit,that lit up,with the toms/cymbals all flat,playing in a metal core band(which he has the chops to do)?

Would you say that MAYBE,he's attempting to cultivate a younger fan base?Why change gear and start setting up in a way that appeals to a different fan base.

How about Steve Gadd.Would you expect him to use that rig?How about Travis Barker of Joey Jordinson,using Gadds Yammies,like Gadd sets them up?

Kind of out of their league....no?

Saying it's a fashion or an age thing is not a bad thing.....it just is. Every genation/age group has something they mostly find fashionable.Own it.

Steve B.

Last edited by tamadrm; 10-25-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:23 PM
XplosiveDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
The consept of the virgin bass drum is also nothing new,as toms were mounted on bass drums using clamps ,since the mid 30's.Now we're just using clamps to mount them to racks and cymbal stands.

The consept of virgin bass drums being better sonicly is again,more drum re- fashion than actually decernable.I'd love to hear a blind comparison test of a virgin drum and one that has mounts attached.

I'm thinking it's not so much the look of a virgin BD, as it is cutting out the application of a mount and not mounting the toms to the bass drum which in fact, with all that weight resting on top of the BD when the toms are on it, has an effect on the shell. I've tested the difference with my X7 BD with the mount and toms vs them being on the rack and there is a difference. It obviously doesn't completely deaden the drum but it does have some effect on the sustain.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:56 PM

You could say "drum fashion" - or you could say "changing things up a little every once in a while keeps things fresh".

My preference is - like many others have - to have everything slightly tilted towards me, both cymbals and drums. No need to reach or get awkward, everything is accessible and comfortable. Easy to play at all dynamic levels.

I have my rack tom on a snare stand - not because it's cool, but because the bass drum has been broken and re-glued and I don't want to stress the drum. It looks cool, yes, in a way. But so does a mounted tom.

Do I see stuff on the net and get ideas? Yes. I might even try some new things because I'm curious, just to see how it feels. But at the end of the day I set up my drums the way they feel the most natural to me.

It's not about fashion.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Standard sized toms were also available 20 years ago,as well as since the 40's,up to and including today.Power toms were drum fashion,with power tom sizes STILL available from drum makers as well as from shell manufacturers.

As far as flat toms,just as one example,Emmanule Cappalette has superb posture while playing,and nothing is flat about her set up at all.The same can be said for Simon Phillips.Just watch him play .He uses 24" bass drums and deep toms,and has excellent posture.He also dosen't seem to have to struggle to play his kit at all considering he's only around 5'6".

Posture is all about there you sit,in relation to your set up,and keeping your back stright and not reaching for everything.The whole powertom angleing thing was more about looks and using 14x13 and 15x14 and even larger toms with 24-26 ' bass drums.

I had a 12/13 power toms set up and a 22" bass drum.No Mickey Mouse ear angles were necessary.

No matter what set up you use,if you sit too high or too low,and don't have everything is easy reach......you'll have problems that smaller bass drums and flat toms can't cure.

I disagree and I still contend flat tom set ups are drum fashion,and will go the way of Chinese toms.

I'll also go a step further and say the vast majority of drummers play their kits set up since the way the've been set up since the 40's,and setting up with flat toms is greatly limited to younger players only.

If you like flat toms,then hey,what ever blows your hair back,but better for posture and more ergonomic? Horsey turd.Bangs and the foward comb are as big as they were in the 60's too..:)

Steve B
I wouldn't doubt that some people's "flat everything" setups happened with their first kit purchase because they saw someone else setting up that way....such as Travis Barker.

There's also the point that the idea of "flat" that you and I are imagining may not be the same.

I know my setup evolved with far less angles because I went from the 9 piece double bass kit with power toms (going from 10 to 18) that I played since the early 90s to a 5 piece kit with what are now standard "fusion" sizes. I also did my actual physical growing up in my teens on that power tom kit, so by the time I bought the Spaun I was already well aware that I had gone from being 5"7" to 6'2" and did not need to sit low with a wall of tubs at eye level. so I raised my seat a few inches and it was like I was gifted with enlightenment that day. Sitting higher made me feel far more in control.

I still liked having the two toms up top offset to the left like I would on a double bass kit, and with the new seat height it was just ergonomically natural to lower the toms a bit and angle them much less. The benefit of being able to use the same downstroke on your toms as you do with the snare is impressive.

yadda yadda....point is......yes....a lot of kit "fads" come about because of specific players influencing drums that are used (ahem...piccolo snares in the 90s.)or the way they are setup. But some of them evolve, or come back on the cyclical wheel for very practical reasons. For this one, I peg it to far more kits without bass drum mounts, and the exploding sale of "fusion" sized toms.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

If I could do something that I though "looked cool" on my kit, it would be to use a rail mount.
I love how those look, but it puts the tom in a spot that isn't as comfortable for me.
For "looks", I'd probably have more angle on my tom, but it just doesn't feel right when I sit and play it.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:53 PM

I Guess it depends on the style of each drummer and genres they're into. Me for example, angle the toms similar kollias's set up (although I have a very small set up).

I Do enjoy flattening toms while playing classics like, AC/DC, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath etc,.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Given Simon has had back problems, I wouldn't say he's a great example.

There are plenty of drummers who set up in all sorts of ways who ended up with physical issues. Even Weckl, whom many drummers look at great technique has all sort of physical issues.

What works for one person may not work for another, flat or not.

Quote:
marching drummers disagree:

Oh which, I only bring up, because I've heard some drummers say they like flat drum set ups because that's how they learned to play in marching band.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:22 AM
Silver Member

I put my rack toms at an angle, very similar to Lars Ulrich's current kit, because if they were flat it would be too tall for me. Though my floor tom is flat and same level as my snare. My crash and ride are slightly angle to me(around 10-20 degrees I believe)
Old 10-26-2013, 03:00 AM

i like my toms flat just because with a flatter angle i get better rebound and can play faster. I never once set my drums up to match another drummers set. or to look "cool" or in style.

The longer ive been playing my drums have gotten slowly lower and flatter and its been gradual but even my cymbals have gotten lower and closer.. it makes sense playing metal to have everything very close and not have to reach.

when flat toms are "out of style" I will continue with them being flat.

if i had a 4 piece kit it would be a piece of cake.. with a 7 piece its a bit harder right over the kick..

my last kit was a 10 piece with 2 22 inch kick drums. all very large toms.. i will never go that route again. it looked great but was a pain for shows. (id only take half even)

smaller drums are just more practical. its nicer to haul gear. they sound great. cost less (sometimes) so if this is a fad, consider me a hipster for life
Old 10-26-2013, 06:37 AM
Gold Member

I don't have mine completely flat, but a slight angle towards me. Just enough so I can come down on it without a rim-shot. I also keep them a few inches higher than my snare.

I see great benefit to having toms flatter. When you strike the drum, the sound bonuses out from the heads, right?
So if your toms are angled facing you too much, the sound bounces back into your fact and will thus be louder for you, but not the rest of the band or audience.
By having your toms flatter the sound projects out more, and not all up in your face.

If I use only one rack tom, I also keep it on a stand, not a fan of the snare basket thing. I found that having the tom in a basket chokes the sound a little.
Also, I like having my tom over the kick a little, so a snare stand wouldn't work.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
This aspect of drum fashion will pass,just as deep bass drums are beginning to disapear,in favor of shallower ,punchier 14 and 12" deep bass drums.
Not many of the 12" deep out there, I've only seen a handful of 12" deep, my Camcos in my avatar and a couple of Slingerlands all from the 50's and 60's. Aside from the Gurus that we've all been drooling over I haven't heard of anyone else is doing them that shallow.
Who else is making them that shallow these days?
Old 10-26-2013, 04:23 PM

While something about flat toms is aesthetically pleasing, I can't play well like that. I also don't have the best technique, so....
Old 10-26-2013, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcoman View Post
Not many of the 12" deep out there, I've only seen a handful of 12" deep, my Camcos in my avatar and a couple of Slingerlands all from the 50's and 60's. Aside from the Gurus that we've all been drooling over I haven't heard of anyone else is doing them that shallow.
Who else is making them that shallow these days?
Mostly 14" ,but 12" is just starting to catch on.Maybe not so much on this forum,but on the DFO and VDF,they certainly are.Forum members are starting to collect and play vintage Slingerland and Ludwig 12x20 and 12x22 bass drums.

Steve B

Last edited by tamadrm; 10-26-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member

DrumeatDrum....First of all,how can you be absolutely certain, that Simon Phillips has back problems that are directly caused by playing drums?How can you also directly attreibute it to his set up?If he in fact has back problems,he clearly dosen't show it.

Clearly ,speculation.

Secondly,we're talking about drum SET,and not marching drums .The topic is flattening toms,using a drum KIT,not timp toms, tenor drums or marching snares.More that a few drum corps timp tom quad set up drummers DO have back problems.This isn't on topic really is it?

Thirdly,how does anyone know,that years down the road,that drummers that set up their kits with flat ,and low toms,won't have physical issues either?

Apples and oranges.I still say drum fashion.

Lets turn the clock back to illustrate my position a bit more clearly.

February 9,1964.The Beatles played live on the Ed sullivan show,and 73 MILLION people watched Ringo Starr,playind his Ludwig oyster black pearl drums.That was the date ,that millions of kids decided to play drums,and most of them wanted LUDWIG drums.So much so that Ludwig was producing over 100 sets a day and running 24 hours a day,6 days a week,and STILL not keeping up with demand.DRUM FASHION.

Ludwig drums,THEMSELVES were drum fashion,for most of the 60's and early 70's.The Ludwig speed king pedal,was also drum fashion.No matter what kit you played,most drummers were using a speed king.Ludwig drums from that era are sought after and collectable,because of the time period,and because their sound.See...DRUM FASHION.....GOOD thing.

That's what I'm talking about.It's not a personal attack,it's and educated observation.It's not about right and wrong.......it just is.

When someone set their kit up with flat toms,somebody saw it,and copied it,and then,somebody else copied it,and then........you get the picture now?If you set up that way,and it works for you...after having tried other set ups,then do what's best for you.If you're doing it because it just looks cool and hip,but playing that way really dosen't ring your bell....then screw cool,change it up.

Just like Ringo and his Ludwigs,started a huge drum fashion thing for Ludwig.It's not a bad thing....but it just IS.Period.

Steve B

Last edited by tamadrm; 10-26-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondbetrayal View Post
i like my toms flat just because with a flatter angle i get better rebound and can play faster. I never once set my drums up to match another drummers set. or to look "cool" or in style.

The longer ive been playing my drums have gotten slowly lower and flatter and its been gradual but even my cymbals have gotten lower and closer.. it makes sense playing metal to have everything very close and not have to reach.

when flat toms are "out of style" I will continue with them being flat.

if i had a 4 piece kit it would be a piece of cake.. with a 7 piece its a bit harder right over the kick..

my last kit was a 10 piece with 2 22 inch kick drums. all very large toms.. i will never go that route again. it looked great but was a pain for shows. (id only take half even)

smaller drums are just more practical. its nicer to haul gear. they sound great. cost less (sometimes) so if this is a fad, consider me a hipster for life
Who said smaller drums are a fad?They've been around for quite a while.

Steve B
Old 10-26-2013, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonni View Post
I don't have mine completely flat, but a slight angle towards me. Just enough so I can come down on it without a rim-shot. I also keep them a few inches higher than my snare.

I see great benefit to having toms flatter. When you strike the drum, the sound bonuses out from the heads, right?
So if your toms are angled facing you too much, the sound bounces back into your fact and will thus be louder for you, but not the rest of the band or audience.
By having your toms flatter the sound projects out more, and not all up in your face.

If I use only one rack tom, I also keep it on a stand, not a fan of the snare basket thing. I found that having the tom in a basket chokes the sound a little.
Also, I like having my tom over the kick a little, so a snare stand wouldn't work.
Projection I think is more a product of drum construction,bearing edge cut,tuning,drum head selection and....the drummer.

Steve B
Old 10-26-2013, 06:08 PM

I do try and keep my toms fairly flat and def my snare but whatever the gig or kit I'm using dictates that as well. I like to do different setups. I must say though I love to watch Mike Bordin beat the crap out of his Yamaha kit
Old 10-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

I don't set my high toms flat. I set them 6" higher than my snare and I angle them slightly to avoid clipping a rim when I don't want to.
I need to tilt my high toms down towards me a bit because I tilt my snare slightly down away from me so that the highest part of my snare hoop in nearest to me.
This is the best ergonomic way that I have found to play.
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2013, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poika View Post
You could say "drum fashion" - or you could say "changing things up a little every once in a while keeps things fresh".

My preference is - like many others have - to have everything slightly tilted towards me, both cymbals and drums. No need to reach or get awkward, everything is accessible and comfortable. Easy to play at all dynamic levels.

I have my rack tom on a snare stand - not because it's cool, but because the bass drum has been broken and re-glued and I don't want to stress the drum. It looks cool, yes, in a way. But so does a mounted tom.

Do I see stuff on the net and get ideas? Yes. I might even try some new things because I'm curious, just to see how it feels. But at the end of the day I set up my drums the way they feel the most natural to me.

It's not about fashion.
Varying your set up to change things up isn't drum fashion.But the current flat tom thing is.Lots of younger players are copying each others set up,....not all,but some,just as a Ludwig double bass set was the rage in the late 60's early 70's.

Steve B
Old 10-26-2013, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
DrumeatDrum....First of all,how can you be absolutely certain, that Simon Phillips has back problems that are directly caused by playing drums?How can you also directly attreibute it to his set up?If he in fact has back problems,he clearly dosen't show it.

Clearly ,speculation.
http://purplehazeproductions.info/in...=83&Itemid=153

Well, he once missed a tour over back problems
Quote:
The "Tambu Tour" proved to be another success, although there were no North American dates. Simon Phillips suffered from a back problem, so Gregg Bissonette had to fill in for him during the first leg of the tour in late 1995.
I've read elsewhere that it was a result of sitting too low. But where, I don't recall.

Quote:
Secondly,we're talking about drum SET,and not marching drums .The topic is flattening toms,using a drum KIT,not timp toms, tenor drums or marching snares.More that a few drum corps timp tom quad set up drummers DO have back problems.This isn't on topic really is it?
I made it quite clear it IS one topic.

I said:
"I only bring up, because I've heard some drummers say they like flat drum set ups because that's how they learned to play in marching band."

How is that NOT on topic of drum set?

Quote:
Thirdly,how does anyone know,that years down the road,that drummers that set up their kits with flat ,and low toms,won't have physical issues either?
I can't. Neither you can prove a flat set up will lead to physical issues.

Clearly ,speculation, on your part.

Quote:
When someone set their kit up with flat toms,somebody saw it,and copied it,and then,somebody else copied it,and then........you get the picture now?If you set up that way,and it works for you...after having tried other set ups,then do what's best for you.If you're doing it because it just looks cool and hip,but playing that way really dosen't ring your bell....then screw cool,change it up.
In the same token, When someone set their kit up with angled toms,somebody saw it,and copied it,and then,somebody else copied it,and then......
Old 10-26-2013, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
http://purplehazeproductions.info/in...=83&Itemid=153

Well, he once missed a tour over back problems
I've read elsewhere that it was a result of sitting too low. But where, I don't recall.

I made it quite clear it IS one topic.

I said:
"I only bring up, because I've heard some drummers say they like flat drum set ups because that's how they learned to play in marching band."

How is that NOT on topic of drum set?

I can't. Neither you can prove a flat set up will lead to physical issues.

Clearly ,speculation, on your part.

In the same token, When someone set their kit up with angled toms,somebody saw it,and copied it,and then,somebody else copied it,and then......
EXACTLY,and by doing so,create a "fashion",just like the first guy to wear a tie die shirt in the late 60's.And after a time,when enough people do the same thing,or wear the same type of cloths...it becomes.......wait for it........FASHION.

And what else happen with anything that is in fashion?Eventually,it will no longer be in fashion.

Why are some people so afraid of that word?

I clearly said that "How does anyone know that drummers won't have physical issues" reguarding a flat set up.This indicated that I don't know,nor do I speculate that it will..

Steve B