DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 10-16-2013, 11:29 PM

Default Don't know if i should trade

Hey guys!
I've recently been offered to trade drum kits. i have never done this before so i wanted to hear from some of you who have or just have something to say about it. I have a Tama Starclassic B/B 6 piece and this guy has a 7 piece pearl reference kit. this is the info he gave me.

22" kick
14" brass piccolo snare
8", 10", 12", 14" rack toms
16" floor tom
Pearl icon drum rack
Pearl snare stand
Giro-lock tom mounts
7 Pearl cymbal boom arms

Humes and Berg Enduro cases for all the drums
Hardware bag
Fairly new Evans ec2 heads on all the toms

If anyone has any say on what to do in this case i would appreciate it.

Thanks.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:44 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Don't know if i should trade

I believe the Pearl Reference kit is supposed to be a step up, at least from your b/b's. Something makes me wonder why he'd want to do a straight-across trade when he can probably sell it and make more money.

However, I do understand that used instrument sales are always weak and sellers always take a smash when selling things they bought new.

So what's the other angle here? Does he like the color of your set? Is his set stolen? Maybe it's something simple like he doesn't like the color or the sizes....but it appears as if he's willing to trade side-ways and downward a bit so I'd investigate more as to the why?
Old 10-17-2013, 03:52 AM
Silver Member

I wouldn't make the trade, but I am a huge fan of Tama's. Bo is right, you need to ask yourself why he is looking to trade. The other question is why do you want to trade? I guess the References are a step up, but I prefer birch drums, so the SC b/b is pretty much my dream kit.

I would just caution you to be careful.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:07 AM

I would take that trade all day long. The Reference is certainly more expensive. More importantly to me, you would be getting more sounds and drums -- birch, maple and mahogany.

You could do the deal, flip it and buy another B/B kit and still have money in the bank if you did not like it.

Sometimes guys just want to play something different. I am one of those guys.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:25 AM

Like trading an Audi for a BMW, or vice-versa. Either way you go, you're still going to end up with a high-end car. Personally, I would take the trade. Like Converted said, you'll be getting a broader palette of sounds. I've always liked the idea of using different materials depending on the shell size. I'm also partial to Pearl, so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:26 AM
Gold Member

I own a Reference kit and they are amazing drums-an absolute step up from the B/B's. I'd say 2 or 3 steps up. So, I do have to scratch my head a bit as to why he'd make this trade. And, I don't know exactly what you are giving him, but it seems like he's giving you an awful lot.

One thing: the Ref drums are really heavy in weight. If you plan to gig with this kit, as in frequent one-nighters, I might think twice. If you are planning to keep it at home or in a studio, I would do this in a heartbeat, as long as they are in good condition and it seems on the up and up. Maybe he's trading for that reason; maybe he's tired of carting them around.

Another thing: the Ref drums with the mahogany are prone to shipping damage, especially the kick drums. Not because of poor quality or anything like that; they are very high quality. Its just because the mahogany is softer wood. Make sure you inspect all of the shell interiors of the larger drums and check for any cracks.
Yamaha Oak
Yamaha Tour
1966 Ludwig
Old 10-17-2013, 05:28 AM
Platinum Member

Everyone's gonna come in and root for tama.

To me it would depend on the finish, the condition, the depths of the floor toms and if someone wanted mine I would wonder what's wrong with theirs too. Best to go have a look, better yet set them both up and play them side by side.

My friend has a flat blue pearl reference and I would totally own it, it sounds and looks great. I have also played the tama b/b and they sounded deeper and more focused. I don't know which I would rather own but I have a fondness for the pearls.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:44 AM
Platinum Member

Actually the brass piccolo snare is the real deal breaker for me.
A nice snare, but very limited in application. Presumably this is why piccolo snares are often on used sites for a long time.
With a piccolo, you'll want to get another snare.

As a general rule I don't like trades anyway.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:33 AM
Platinum Member

4 pc. Starclassic B/B $1600. ....................... 4 pc. Reference $3200.
Unless you hate the finish, or the sizes, or the sound, of the Reference kit, I'd do the trade.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:26 AM

I'll be blunt... If you don't make this trade, your completely insane. All day long this is fantastic trade in your favour. Like someone said earlier, if you get them and don't like them better then go back to another B/B kit... Rarely you're gonna get an opportunity to go from B/B to reference without additional cost... As long as they're in decent condition, make the trade.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:15 AM

Funnily enough these two kits cost about the same is Oz. $3500 of a 5 piece B/B and $3900 for a 5 piece Reference. No hardware.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Gold Member

Monetarily, it's a no-brainer, but, as others have said, I'd worry that they were stolen
Old 10-18-2013, 06:35 PM

Hey guys thanks for all the replies. I went to go try out that kit and to be honest I was more blown away from the first time I heard these Tama's. So I ended up keeping my kit. I know the reference kit is a step up but to be honest I just changed the skins on my Tama's and I am in absolute love with them.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:47 PM

Just out of curiosity...

What was it that you didn't like about Reference? I promise I'm not trying to start a battle here, just curious what it was about each kit that you liked/didn't like.