DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 10-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
Worrying myself sick about my younger daughter, the one in Singapore. The honeymoon period has worn off and, as the only European, she feels very isolated. It's par for the course and we expected it, but the spin-off is that she hasn't been doing her insulin (she's Type 1 diabetic). I'm a wreck.
She'll be fine Madge. Worry is natural, stress isn't. Regular contact without being an interfering pest is the balance to strike - for both of you.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhumbagirl View Post
I'm transgendered male-to-female. I don't know if that belongs on Drummerworld, but I just needed to say that. If anyone has any questions for me, now's the time to ask :)

Steph
The bass player in my band is m-f transgender too :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
She'll be fine Madge. Worry is natural, stress isn't. Regular contact without being an interfering pest is the balance to strike - for both of you.
I'm with her now, and she isn't as fine as I'd like her to be although she's much better than she was. If she went into a diabetic coma at night (the most likely time for it to happen), it could be hours before anybody realised. Leaving her on Wednesday is going to break my heart.

At least I have Saturday to look forward to :)
Old 10-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Andy, I know you've been through much, but type 1 diabetes is an often misunderstood term. It means the pancreas isnt making any insulin at all as opposed to some insulin in most diabetics ( who are type 2 ).

Its like being in a really leaky boat for your whole life. If you arent pumping in the right about of insulin 24 X 7, you will either have your kidneys collapse on you if its too little or go into a coma, seizure, or death if its too much. You are balancing on a tighrope, and making sure you dont fall either left or right.

It is a hideous disease to live with because it doesnt allow you an anxiety- free moment. Ever. Its isnt like you'd do some therapy and then relax for a few weeks..

For parents, in many ways it is worse. I completely understand Madge's feelings here.

Madge- enjoy every minute of Saturday! : ))

Old 10-07-2013, 12:50 PM

Thanks guys! But the truth of the matter is I have some things to take care of in my own personal life that I've been putting off ever since the drumoff got into my sights. Furthermore, it's of public and controversial nature, and I don't want you guys to find out about before I have a chance to say something. I won't say what it is, but you will know in the near future. I'll try to contribute the fun here when I can. And I don't know if I'll continue being able to play drums 2-3 hours a day. That's a terrible way to end it after you guys have accepted me here.

I've been dealing with a serious medical issue for 4 years now, and because I'm single and estranged from my family, I started back up with the drums a year into that, hoping to make a connection with people, which I have. I have my video channel and I plan to continue that, because it shows a personal side that people don't get to see of me.

Thanks again and Best Wishes!

Steph
Old 10-07-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
No questions, just admiration for your pride in yourself - way to go Steph!!!!
Thanks KIS! This is a different age. It's no longer enough to ask "Am I good enough?", as long as you are willing to share yourself. Because there might be someone out there that sees something in you that you don't. Something that you undervalued or completely overlooked. There's a world waiting to hear you play. And all you have to do is turn the camera on!

I'm going to share with the world!!!

Best Wishes

Steph
Old 10-07-2013, 02:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
For parents, in many ways it is worse. I completely understand Madge's feelings here.

Madge- enjoy every minute of Saturday! : ))
Thanks, Abe :)

Old 10-07-2013, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
At least I have Saturday to look forward to :)
Yes you do Madge, & we'll make sure you have a good time :)

Quote:
Andy, I know you've been through much, but type 1 diabetes is an often misunderstood term.
I know it very well Abe. We have two members of our immediate family with type 1, & 3 with type 2. You're right, type 1 is a bugger in terms of control, & I understand Madge's anxiety completely, especially in the context of a parent daughter relationship.

Quote:
Thanks guys! But the truth of the matter is I have some things to take care of in my own personal life that I've been putting off ever since the drumoff got into my sights. Furthermore, it's of public and controversial nature, and I don't want you guys to find out about before I have a chance to say something. I won't say what it is, but you will know in the near future. I'll try to contribute the fun here when I can. And I don't know if I'll continue being able to play drums 2-3 hours a day. That's a terrible way to end it after you guys have accepted me here.

I've been dealing with a serious medical issue for 4 years now, and because I'm single and estranged from my family, I started back up with the drums a year into that, hoping to make a connection with people, which I have. I have my video channel and I plan to continue that, because it shows a personal side that people don't get to see of me.

Steph
Sorry to hear of your struggle Steph. You're obviously a very strong person, & you have my admiration for that.

Quote:
Thanks KIS! This is a different age. It's no longer enough to ask "Am I good enough?", as long as you are willing to share yourself. Because there might be someone out there that sees something in you that you don't. Something that you undervalued or completely overlooked. There's a world waiting to hear you play. And all you have to do is turn the camera on!

I'm going to share with the world!!!

Best Wishes

Steph
You go for it girl!!!!!
Old 10-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm transgendered male-to-female. I don't know if that belongs on Drummerworld, but I just needed to say that. If anyone has any questions for me, now's the time to ask :)

Steph
I've got a question.

When did you realise that you didn't identify with your genetic sex? Was it as a child or did it come later, at adolescence or adulthood? Feel free to share anything with me, I'm interested. If you want to PM anything to me, that is quite welcome. I'm also interested about the family estrangement - was that down to your decision to have the gender reassignment?

Apologies if it comes across as prying, I'm quite curious and it's very rare that I get an open opportunity to ask these questions.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member

Madge: my offer of conversation that I mentioned in the PMs is always open.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

I know, chicken. Thanks xx
Old 10-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Renegade

I missed the happenings on this thread. Best of luck, Steph!

As a former bisexual - now happily celibate - being queer of any stripe is a hard road (some roads obviously rougher than others). Ok, so I had a couple of nights with an overweight Italian stallion last week (erm) but he was pushy and and I am lame when I'm out of my comfort zone lol ... it will not happen again! Dear Abby ... :)

I suggest that if your family has abrogated their responsibility (because that's what it is if they have rejected you) then you should make sure you find some support. And don't stop drumming! If you're good enough to play jazz authentically it's a gift - many of us will never achieve that skill level. Keep on swingin', chickadee!

Otherwise my random thought of the day is that Parisian architecture doesn't thrill after seeing Rome. Having said that, after seeing lots of magnificently ornate churches I became blasť, which makes me feel kinda superficial ... I miss the comforts of home and my Gurus and my doggie (who's no doubt forgotten that I exist lol)

Soundcloud stream
Old 10-08-2013, 12:23 AM
Platinum Member

My goodness, this is a revealing week on the random thoughts thread :)

Sorry Grea, one night with your overweight stallion is an acceptable slip, two nights - no excuse. Seems like celibacy is working out just fine for you :) Was it your red hair that brought out the bull in him?

I have several bisexual friends - I just jokingly refer to them as greedy ;) ;) ;)

Just for the record, my absolute biggest hate ever, is prejudice - in any form.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:57 AM
Senior Consultant

Quote:

Steph
Best of luck with your medical issue.

I'm sorry to hear that you are estranged from your family. If it is because of your sexuality/gender then I am even more sorry. I never understood how someone could end a relationship with a child for anything less than a terrible crime such as murder.

We see this all over the world. "Honor killings" in India, fundamentalist Christians throwing a child out of the house for having premarital sex or for being gay.

Unconditional love is supposed to be just that.

God Bless.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:16 AM
Renegade

Andy, it wasn't my fault that the lad was pushy! He must have been desperate ... really, I'd rather read a book or go for a walk. That's why it's a non revelation to me - way back in the past. For most of us, our past is littered with silliness.

No more heavy dinners. Should have said no to the creme caramel. It plays merry hell with my sleep. Hardly sensible to load up with calories at night unless you're a night owl.

Totally agree with you and Jeff. Life's too short and fragile to be unkind. Shame it takes many of us so long to realise it ... sometimes not until the very end.

Soundcloud stream
Old 10-08-2013, 04:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Life's too short and fragile to be unkind.
This. There's so much shit that's completely beyond one's control and entirely unavoidable; I don't understand why people create more.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:30 AM
Senior Consultant

Quote:
This. There's so much shit that's completely beyond one's control and entirely unavoidable; I don't understand why people create more.
Because they suck?

(Sorry, couldn't resist)
Old 10-08-2013, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post

I'm sorry to hear that you are estranged from your family. If it is because of your sexuality/gender then I am even more sorry.
Agree completely with that.

Quote:
Life's too short and fragile to be unkind.
& this.

Quote:
& this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
Because they suck?
& definitely this!
Old 10-08-2013, 11:40 AM
Platinum Member

So, I can say people suck, but I just can't say which ones specifically? Because then I would have to state why, and that reasoning would be based on prejudice and stereotyping.

Then, in that case, I would have to judge people on an individual basis. Therein lies the problem because it would be based on my perception and social interactions with my family and the general public. I have come across people who do indeed suck. It seems like many of the ones who are/were close to me have sucked the worst. I have come across some really good people too. I can't imagine why people who do not know me would say that I, in fact, suck too. And if they think I suck, I should lower myself to their level and say that they also suck.

So, in conclusion, this world is just one big suck fest full of sucky people and you're lucky if you find a few good ones here and there. Well, that's one way to look at it.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Renegade

Suckiness example ... Eastern European pickpockets approaching you with a clipboard or a gold ring or surrounding you when you sit down as they do their best to ruin people's holidays. I must have a sign on my forehead saying "naive tourist". I'm getting good at saying "NON!"

So my sucky list includes parasites, predators and bigots.

Soundcloud stream
Old 10-08-2013, 04:32 PM

Wahahahahahahah! My motorbike caught fire today :D
Old 10-09-2013, 02:26 AM
Platinum Member

I'm going to miss her - but I think she's turned a corner and she's going to be ok.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Renegade

Quote:
I'm going to miss her - but I think she's turned a corner and she's going to be ok.
Umm ... who?

Latest travelogue ... last day of the Paris adventure. Pretty confusing place for an ignorant Aussie, though the food's great and I did get to see the Mona Lisa after finally working out how to get into the Lourve. Have seen more Virgin Marys with baby J in the past few weeks than in the last half century!

Surprised at the food portions ... I always thought French food would be weeny tiny gobs of food on huge plates but everything's been super sized and yummy.

I've never had bed bugs before but it seems that's another new experience for me :(

Soundcloud stream
Old 10-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member

How are the French showers?

Glad to hear that Madge.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Steph
You're also a bad ass, and you contribute meaningfully here. If anyone attempts to make you feel un-welcome here, I think you'll find quite a few of us here to make them feel un-welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
French showers are actually just spritzes of cheap perfume whilst eating gooey cheeses. Weird, right?

Last edited by Bernhard; 10-09-2013 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Edited by Arky: merging consecutive posts
Old 10-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Surprised at the food portions ... I always thought French food would be weeny tiny gobs of food on huge plates but everything's been super sized and yummy.
I was shocked at the size of lunch portions, but the dinner portions were smaller than I was accustomed to. But ALL the food was really good.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:25 PM
Renegade

Quote:
I can only speak for this hotel ... it is so bizarre that I've taken a photo to show you lol. Four knobs and four jets. The top jet basically drops water on you like a hose. Another knob makes two jets shoot needle-like jets into my boobs ... scared the crap out of me when it first happened. Another knob operates a hand held spritzer, which operates as expected. Then there's a knob with temperatures on it to control warmth (now *that's* a good idea).

Took a few showers to work it out. The first time I used it I sent down an overwhelming torrent I couldn't control. Normally I try to waste a bare minimum of water so it was a shock :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
French showers are actually just spritzes of cheap perfume whilst eating gooey cheeses. Weird, right?
So they say :) I've not been drunk here so I can't vouch for the smell (or lack) of Frenchmen. Italians seem to be quite clean, though ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
I was shocked at the size of lunch portions, but the dinner portions were smaller than I was accustomed to. But ALL the food was really good.
I found it all gigantic so tonight I just had a starter - veggie soup - and an apple pie. Beautiful as usual, as you know. When were you here?

Soundcloud stream
Old 10-09-2013, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I found it all gigantic so tonight I just had a starter - veggie soup - and an apple pie. Beautiful as usual, as you know. When were you here?
My company expanded into Europe about 7 or 8 years ago. We acquired companies in Germany and France and we were working on integrating our software, which is why they sent me over there. I think this was early 2007. I spent most of my time in Lyon, which is just an exquisitely beautiful place in Southern France. Talk about viniculture... I'm not a super-serious wine enthusiast, but it's hard not to get excited by the Rhone Valley and Chateauneuf-du-Pape, right? All the food and wine I consumed was delicious.

It's funny, because I had the same preconceived notion going in about portion sizes. I'm thinking I'll be the big Yank expecting a gigantic meal and being teased with a meal that looks more like a garnish. But when we broke for lunch on the first day, everyone was served big portions, probably more than I would eat for lunch in the States. But whereas dinner is our biggest meal back home, in France, dinner portions were smaller than those we were served at lunch.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

Grea, I'm surprised that a French hotel even has showers. (Sorry to French members, us Rosbifs like to make jokes too!).

I remember years ago waking up in a friends parent's house with an almighty hangover and an unfamiliar girl next to me. I'd been on the whisky. I walked into the bathroom and saw a glass-doored room at the back with a 'normal' shower. Great, I thought. I turned the two knobs on the wall and down comes a torrent from the most almighty showerhead I'd ever seen, mounted into the ceiling. I usually have quite extended showers but I can't have been in there for more than a minute! It's now my ambition in life to own such a contraption.

The best thing about that whole party (apart from the lass, who was quite lovely) was being picked up from the car park of the supermarket before the party. In a Bentley.

Last edited by BacteriumFendYoke; 10-09-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:16 PM

I've had a drum teacher before... but didn't think I gained that much from him and he swallowed my money for a while without really seeming that interested in my personal progress.

So after that bad experience, I am looking for a new one but I just don't know where to look to get a reliable teacher who will be worth the fees I have to pay.

Based in midlands UK and willing to travel around that area to find a good teacher if anyone is interested or knows anyone.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I turned the two knobs on the wall and down comes a torrent from the most almighty showerhead I'd ever seen, mounted into the ceiling. I usually have quite extended showers but I can't have been in there for more than a minute! It's now my ambition in life to own such a contraption.
A man after my own heart. If I'm building my dream home, it has an incredible shower. There's a mansion called Meadowbrook Hall near my home. It was owned by a woman who was part of the automotive industry's aristocracy. They do tours of the home and it's an amazing place, not just a beautiful house but full of cool secret rooms and stuff. But the best thing is they have this shower that blasts you with water from every direction.

That's what I want. They build stuff like that now, a shower where you have places you could even sit down. I would put all the gadgety cool things that exist in that thing. Super-high-pressured water, that can be made as hot as you could ever want it.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:41 AM
Renegade

While I love a decadent shower, I live on the driest continent on earth and ethically should show a little restraint. But some mornings (like this morning) my back is so sore I feel like I'm going to throw up ... at that point ethics be damned.

When I get home I'm going to dedicate my life to core strengthening exercises!

Soundcloud stream
Old 10-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
.., But some mornings (like this morning) my back is so sore I feel like I'm going to throw up ... at that point ethics be damned.

1) flat on your back on a hard floor ( rug allowed )
2) both ankles on top of the back rest of standard chair ( eg. dining room variety )
3) chill for 15 minutes.

Guaranteed relief.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
While I love a decadent shower, I live on the driest continent on earth and ethically should show a little restraint. But some mornings (like this morning) my back is so sore I feel like I'm going to throw up ... at that point ethics be damned.

Sorry to hear that Grea. Hope you're ok for dinner tonight :)

Quote:
1) flat on your back on a hard floor ( rug allowed )
2) both ankles on top of the back rest of standard chair ( eg. dining room variety )
3) chill for 15 minutes.

Guaranteed relief.
Yes Abe, settling things into a straight line is a great resetting routine.

Backs - pth - tell me about it :(
Old 10-10-2013, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

In our last house we installed a big (by UK standards) shower cubicle with two power shower heads. We called it "the boardroom" because many major decisions were made there. When we sold the house, I was astonished how many prospective purchasers asked why there were two.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:42 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
...with two power shower heads.
Why ?
Old 10-10-2013, 10:06 AM
Renegade

Thanks Abe, will give it a try. Usually I lie on my back with a tennis ball pressing trigger points.

Andy, I've taken some anti inflammatories so I will DEFINITELY be doing dinner. I wouldn't miss this even if i had to crawl there :)

I shouldn't complain given the extent of your back problems ... but ...

Soundcloud stream
Old 10-10-2013, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Why ?
Yeah, ok. My own fault.

Now ask me why I'm holding these two fingers up.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Now ask me why I'm holding these two fingers up.
To switch on both showers?

:)
Old 10-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
To switch on both showers?

:)
Alas no, good sir. I'll show you on Saturday :)
Old 10-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Alas no, good sir. I'll show you on Saturday :)
Ok.... fingers crossed :)