DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Gold Member

Default Anyone ever pull a gun at practice?

Just remembered this incident from the other night. While sharing the kit with the stickers on it, during a song I noticed a red dot on the floor, looked up and the singer from the other band had a pistol out with a laser sight on it. He pointed it at the floor halfway between me and him, finger off the trigger, just making a point in conversation to the drummer next to him. I was a little uneasy. We are friends so I feel there was no danger but I didn't really know how to react to it. I thought it was a stupid thing to do, they were dinking and you just never know. everyone else had a laugh about it but it wasn't the place.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Anyone ever pull a gun at practice?

Given that there is a blanket ban on handguns in the UK and very strict rules on rifles - no.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:10 PM
Gold Member

That is big no-no. Finger off the trigger or not, did anyone else know he even had a gun at practice? And not only that, the shooter must always know what is behind his target (the floor in this case), because bullets over travel and do ricochet. In this case, if the gun had gone off, you could have been hit by a ricocheting round.

Guns and alcohol do not mix. I don't care who you are. This is how accidents happen.

I am pro-gun, and I think everyone has the right to own and operate a firearm. But if you are going to do so, you MUST learn proper gun safety, proper operation and maintenance of EVERY firearm you own, and what the ballistics are for your particular firearm because not all bullets act the same and can do some weird things once fired. Band practice is no place for a firearm.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Silver Member

A guy pulled a gun at one of our shows one time, with the intention of using it. One of his friends was able to talk him down, though. Thank goodness it stopped there.

It was kind of funny though, because we had just finished loading the van up, when it happened. As soon as it happened, my bass player just said "Welp! I guess it's time to be hitting the ol' dusty trail!" and we all hurried to the van and got out of there.

Well, not funny that somebody pulled a gun, but funny that my bass player had the presence of mind to respond with that, without hesitation.

Also, for what it's worth, the gun was not directed at any of us, but at some dude he had beef with. He pulled it out right in front of our singer, though, who is like a 5'0" little redhead girl, and she kinda' freaked out. We don't play in that town anymore, because of that instance.

Last edited by TColumbia37; 10-04-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
That is big no-no. Finger off the trigger or not, did anyone else know he even had a gun at practice? And not only that, the shooter must always know what is behind his target (the floor in this case), because bullets over travel and do ricochet. In this case, if the gun had gone off, you could have been hit by a ricocheting round.

Guns and alcohol do not mix. I don't care who you are. This is how accidents happen.

I am pro-gun, and I think everyone has the right to own and operate a firearm. But if you are going to do so, you MUST learn proper gun safety, proper operation and maintenance of EVERY firearm you own, and what the ballistics are for your particular firearm because not all bullets act the same and can do some weird things once fired. Band practice is no place for a firearm.
good point, it was a concrete floor under the thin carpet. I never thought of that. I didn't know he was packing. He most likely has a permit for a concealed weapon, however I wasn't happy to see it in his hand. im sure he would spout off about how safe he is if I dared question him about it.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Hyde View Post
good point, it was a concrete floor under the thin carpet. I never thought of that. I didn't know he was packing. He most likely has a permit for a concealed weapon, however I wasn't happy to see it in his hand. im sure he would spout off about how safe he is if I dared question him about it.
Apparently not as safe as he thinks he is if he put you in a potentially harmful situation. Unfortunately getting a concealed carry permit is not that hard to do. I see too many people, time after time, that don't know how to be safe with a firearm. The worst is when somebody buys a gun, goes to show it off to their friends, and muzzle sweeps everyone in the room because they don't know how to properly handle it safely.

If you had an issue with it being there, you have every right, for your own safety, to request that it not be at practice. If he is reasonable and responsible, he will take you request wholeheartedly, and not give you the "but it is my gun and I am safe with it" speech.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Apparently not as safe as he thinks he is if he put you in a potentially harmful situation. Unfortunately getting a concealed carry permit is not that hard to do. I see too many people, time after time, that don't know how to be safe with a firearm. The worst is when somebody buys a gun, goes to show it off to their friends, and muzzle sweeps everyone in the room because they don't know how to properly handle it safely.

If you had an issue with it being there, you have every right, for your own safety, to request that it not be at practice. If he is reasonable and responsible, he will take you request wholeheartedly, and not give you the "but it is my gun and I am safe with it" speech.
for sure if we ever do this double band practice again I will say something. I hope we don't, it was a long night. They told me wed night that we are doing a triple bill with them and another band this Saturday night. I realllly hope he isn't packing at the bar because that is asking for trouble.

the more I think of it, I was probably more negatively affected by this than I originally thought.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Gold Member

I guess you can gather that I'm pro-gun from my user name

I'm around weapons everyday, from work to home and everywhere in between........but this would have definitely pissed me off..............there is a time and place for everything

Gun safety is non-negotiable................If I were in your shoes, I'd have a talk with him

If he wants to show off his new laser, or whatever he was doing, he needs to take it somewhere safe.........band practice is not the venue
Old 10-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

Seems a bit too casual with his firearm. That's not only dangerous, but disrespectful. If you end up having rehearsal in that space with him around again, be prepared to say something should it pop up. Me? I would say something snotty like, "Hope you won't be swinging that gun around my face again."

I've played a gig where I sat in, and the bass player had a revolver in his belt behind his back. Before he put his bass on, he pulled the gun from the front of his pants and moved it to the back. I was staring at that thing practically the whole gig. I didn't feel in danger, but it was kinda weird.

I know one of my bandmates is always packing, but you'd never know it because he doesn't flash it around like this bozo at your rehearsal. Actually, I wouldn't have ever known unless he wouldn't have told me. It was a "just so you know, I have a gun on me at all times" disclaimer, so I nobody would get anxious if we caught a glimpse of it. He's very responsible and considerate (and a good shot, I hear...).

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 10-04-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:

I agree, guns and alcohol DO NOT MIX. Also, no matter whether you are impaired or not, when you pull the trigger you are responsible for everything that bullet does from the moment it leaves the barrel until it comes to a complete stop.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgun View Post
I guess you can gather that I'm pro-gun from my user name

I'm around weapons everyday, from work to home and everywhere in between........but this would have definitely pissed me off..............there is a time and place for everything

Gun safety is non-negotiable................If I were in your shoes, I'd have a talk with him

If he wants to show off his new laser, or whatever he was doing, he needs to take it somewhere safe.........band practice is not the venue
+100

All my friends know I'm a gun-owner and am very pro-gun. I do not tolerate guns where they are not appropriate - I speak up every time. With a respectful, teaching attitude, of course, but you don't get an option - put firearms away unless there is a reason to handle them. Legally concealed handguns are OK, too, just leave them concealed.

Please, speak up should this ever happen again. Don't tolerate firearms where they are not appropriate.

My 2 centavos.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:31 PM
Administrator

If he has a concealed carry license the he needs to keep it concealed. If he wants to play tellhim to take it out side and leave it out side
Old 10-04-2013, 08:30 PM

That type of crap is just ridiculous.

I have a few relatives (all of whom are in AA now) who each have more than one story that goes like this:

"when I was drinking, I was showing so and so my gun and I thought it was empty..."

Every story ends the same, with an accidental discharge. They are all just lucky they didn't kill someone.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Gold Member

errr..no...just....no...

Pulling a live weapon of any sort in a populated area not designated for weapon use shows poor judgement.

Ban the guy or remove yourself...just not worth it...even if you are not the one hurt...

...and this applies to all manner of designated weapons...not just firearms.(no exposed steel, batons, taser, mace...etc...) or horsing around with ammo...or lighters/flamable content spray cans...etc...

...no martial arts show-offs(especially play fighting or wrestling - as this tends to anger someone and a real fight breaks out)

Such activities are for isolated areas and with proper training/supervision.

Check out the #1 cause of death for young people...accidents...and a significant proportion are weapon/"horsing around" related.

Dont get me started re: mixing weapon horseplay with drugs...
Old 10-04-2013, 08:58 PM
Platinum Member

I'm pro gun...having said that...that idiot should NOT EVER own a gun.

Just because you can,dosen't me you should own a gun.

Basic gun safety rules were violated here.

1) the gun is always loaded...period

2) never point a gun at anything you don't intend to destroy

3) finger off the trigger till you're on the target.

4) be sure of your target and backstop.

There are NO exception to the above rules...ever

If that was me,I would be kicking that guys ass,and yes I've done it before.I would then hand him back what was left of his gun,after I at the very least,destroyed the barrel.

I truly hate to see stories like this,because it's only a matter of when,and not if,that moron will hurt someone else or himself.

Steve B
Old 10-04-2013, 10:06 PM

Ditto to Steve B said.

The title of this thread is in itself unreal.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:09 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdrummer View Post
Ditto to Steve B said.

The title of this thread is in itself unreal.
I wasn't sure how to title it. he pulled it, not on me but it was out.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member

I don't own a gun and in all likelihood never will. That does not mean I'm anti-gun though for the sane people who are capable of managing the process of "bearing arms".

This person would of violated every inch of trust I would of had for him. I'd absolutely let him know as such. No freaking way would I tolerate that.

Stupidity and ignorance at that level shouldn't be ignored.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:35 AM
Senior Consultant

That guy is a major a-hole.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Totally agree. A gun is not a conversation piece, unless you in a private place or a shooting range or gun store. Waving it around in public to impress people is really, really stupid, obnoxious and dangerous.

This person is a terrible accident waiting to happen. Stay far, far away.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:33 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I don't own a gun and in all likelihood never will. That does not mean I'm anti-gun though for the sane people who are capable of managing the process of "bearing arms".

Stupidity and ignorance at that level shouldn't be ignored.
I'm just curious, but is there a reason that you probably would never own a gun? I know it is a personal decision, and have no problem with anyone's decision to own or not own a gun. But I do often wonder why that some people seem to not want to own one when they have no issues with gun ownership. Again, this is just curiosity.

As far as stupidity and ignorance, I couldn't agree more.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:37 AM
Platinum Member

Curious if this has ever happened to rogue_drummer. If it's never happened to him, you KNOW it's bad!
Old 10-05-2013, 02:52 AM
Platinum Member

That dude is an idiot. I'm indifferent towards guns. I just don't give a crap about them. I don't think about them at all. I've never needed a gun, so I don't own a gun. Nobody messes with me. I do, however, know how to shoot a gun and the proper handling of a gun. I don't care how cool a person thinks his gun is, there is a time and place for it. Certainly not at band practice. If that happened to me, I'm not sure how I would think about it.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm just curious, but is there a reason that you probably would never own a gun? I know it is a personal decision, and have no problem with anyone's decision to own or not own a gun. But I do often wonder why that some people seem to not want to own one when they have no issues with gun ownership. Again, this is just curiosity.

The chance of you, a family member or a guest getting shot goes up astronomically if you keep a gun in the home. If you do not have a gun in your home, it is pretty much impossible for anyone to be accidentally shot in your home, or intentionally shot with a gun you own. That fact alone is good enough reason for many people to not want a firearm in their home. Keeping that in mind, most guns in homes never shoot anyone, intentionally or not.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:06 AM
Platinum Member

Are you kidding me?

This person is not qualified to own a weapon , i would have had him arrested on the spot.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 10-05-2013, 03:12 AM
Platinum Member

I see a firearm=I'm gone. Forever, unless I'm given a really good explanation and basically begged to stay. This has only happened once, a long time ago.

Let's get serious here. Guns. Firearms. These things have no place in places where art is being created and worked on. If you disagree, then go make your own work space, but keep it a good distance away, and well signposted.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

For whatever reason I simply don't have much interest. I grew up in a home with a dad that was a hunter. I got his shotgun in his later years before he passed. Held onto it for about 10 years and was able to finally give it to my father-in-law who now hunts with it.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:30 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
The chance of you, a family member or a guest getting shot goes up astronomically if you keep a gun in the home. If you do not have a gun in your home, it is pretty much impossible for anyone to be accidentally shot in your home, or intentionally shot with a gun you own. That fact alone is good enough reason for many people to not want a firearm in their home. Keeping that in mind, most guns in homes never shoot anyone, intentionally or not.
I totally understand this and could not agree more, however, this is where lack of education comes to play (I feel). We have 3 firearms (for now) in my home, and I have made sure that all of my family members, including children, understand what a gun does and can potentially do, how each one operates, how to use them, and how to maintain them. Because of this, it is almost as if we have no firearms. They are never brought out, shown off, played with, or even thought of. They have no more importance than say, my TV, because the curiosity is simply not there. They are just another thing in my house.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:00 AM

I've owned more than 50 guns (only have about 10 at the moment).

I love guns, though... Where I live, everybody must love gun owners, because when I drive to/from work, I just wave my gun out of the window all the way there, and everybody is just so nice, they get out of my way.

People are so friendly. Guns really bring a community together. Wanna see? Just fire a shot in the air, and watch the crowds gather. Some people bring their own light shows (those bring their own guns and point them back at me in recognition).
Old 10-05-2013, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperGTR View Post
I've owned more than 50 guns (only have about 10 at the moment).

I love guns, though... Where I live, everybody must love gun owners, because when I drive to/from work, I just wave my gun out of the window all the way there, and everybody is just so nice, they get out of my way.

People are so friendly. Guns really bring a community together. Wanna see? Just fire a shot in the air, and watch the crowds gather. Some people bring their own light shows (those bring their own guns and point them back at me in recognition).
^ Like. ^

my state (North Carolina) just passed a bill that will allow concealed weapons not only in public parks, but also in bars. what could go wrong there ?

i guess my days of playing in NC bars are over. i will have to relocate.

To The Assembled: sell me on your state (or country).
Old 10-05-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstrangefunk View Post
^ Like. ^

my state (North Carolina) just passed a bill that will allow concealed weapons not only in public parks, but also in bars. what could go wrong there ?

This sounds like a good law. You might need to waste some sad sounding band. Or maybe an annoying kid. Power to the people.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:26 AM

After el-stupido shoots someone with that laser-guided pea-shooter by accident, I guarantee the first words flying out of his mouth will be:

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. It was an accident."

It's called reckless endangerment. Think of your parents or wife or kids if they found out you were shot or God forbid, dead.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:19 AM

People who do crap like that are a special kind of stupid.

I own several pistols and a rifle and have always been around guns. I enjoy recreational shooting quite a bit and I take the home defense stuff pretty seriously, too. Thankfully I was raised to treat firearms with a great deal of respect. I had to prove I could safety check a gun for years before I was even allowed to shoot. Safety comes before anything else with gun ownership.

Another aspect of gun ownership that I didn't realize until a few years after owning a few of my own was respecting that many people are uncomfortable around guns. I don't subscribe to the "shove it down their throats" style of ownership. I prefer discretion. While I might not understand the fear some people have for guns, I still respect it because if our roles were reversed, I would want my feelings to be respected.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:26 AM
Senior Consultant

I guess if you like hunting or target shooting that's cool. But for home defense, get real. How many gun owners have actually successfully defended their homes vs how many have either accidentally or in anger have shot someone who did not deserve it?

Somehow the rest of the world manages to get by without an armed populace.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
I guess if you like hunting or target shooting that's cool. But for home defense, get real. How many gun owners have actually successfully defended their homes vs how many have either accidentally or in anger have shot someone who did not deserve it?
I don't have the stats. But I do know that it happens, and that it can happen to anybody at any time. My in-laws live in a very affluent neighborhood in Houston...the neighborhood that you'd think never sees any sort of crime. In the last 12 months there have been 5 reported home invasions that happened during daylight hours. The residents were held captive while their homes were ransacked. A few of them were beaten. It can happen, and it does.

Quote:
Some parts of the globe, perhaps they do. Regardless, that ship sailed for the U.S a pretty long time ago. Our history and culture has been brewing with guns a part of the recipe for hundreds of years. Attempting to solve the riddle of American gun violence by replacing it with a Utopian ideologue is futile....and incredible silly to boot.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:18 AM
Senior Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolInTheRain View Post
I don't have the stats. But I do know that it happens, and that it can happen to anybody at any time. My in-laws live in a very affluent neighborhood in Houston...the neighborhood that you'd think never sees any sort of crime. In the last 12 months there have been 5 reported home invasions that happened during daylight hours. The residents were held captive while their homes were ransacked. A few of them were beaten. It can happen, and it does.

Some parts of the globe, perhaps they do. Regardless, that ship sailed for the U.S a pretty long time ago. Our history and culture has been brewing with guns a part of the recipe for hundreds of years. Attempting to solve the riddle of American gun violence by replacing it with a Utopian ideologue is futile....and incredible silly to boot.
I'm not going to get into a gun debate here but you mentioned that people had their homes broken into and they were held hostage. Frankly, anecdotal evidence is irrelevant. I would need to see stats. But, just a quick question, do you know if any of those Texans (whom I assume have guns) actually defended their homes successfully with their guns?

And I know that that ship sailed long ago regarding guns in the US.

It's kind of funny that a New Yorker and a Texan are discussing guns. Anyone can tell how that is going to end up. For those outside the US, New York has the toughest gun control laws in the States and Texas is one of the champions of the pro-gun debate.

Anyway, lets just agree to disagree because we certainly are not going to convince the other of anything.

Take care.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I totally understand this and could not agree more, however, this is where lack of education comes to play (I feel). We have 3 firearms (for now) in my home, and I have made sure that all of my family members, including children, understand what a gun does and can potentially do, how each one operates, how to use them, and how to maintain them. Because of this, it is almost as if we have no firearms. They are never brought out, shown off, played with, or even thought of. They have no more importance than say, my TV, because the curiosity is simply not there. They are just another thing in my house.
Understood. But the original question was, why would someone not want to keep firearms in the house? Answer: because the chance of an accidental shooting pretty much drops to zero.

You didn't state if you keep your guns disabled or locked or locked up. If you don't, any other kid wandering into the home might find the gun and you don't know their level of training. Kids will tell you anything you want to hear at the time, but when you're not around, they may well tell a friend, "Psssst, wanna see my dad's gun? It's not locked or anything. It's just like one of those in the movies .... "
Old 10-06-2013, 04:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm not going to get into a gun debate here but you mentioned that people had their homes broken into and they were held hostage. Frankly, anecdotal evidence is irrelevant. I would need to see stats. But, just a quick question, do you know if any of those Texans (whom I assume have guns) actually defended their homes successfully with their guns?

And I know that that ship sailed long ago regarding guns in the US.

It's kind of funny that a New Yorker and a Texan are discussing guns. Anyone can tell how that is going to end up. For those outside the US, New York has the toughest gun control laws in the States and Texas is one of the champions of the pro-gun debate.

Anyway, lets just agree to disagree because we certainly are not going to convince the other of anything.

Take care.
I find it odd that you would begin your post with saying that you don't want to debate guns, then mention points as though debating, they say that you don't want to talk any more about it. If you really mean you don't want to debate something, you would just say that and then write a period and nothing more.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstrangefunk View Post
^ Like. ^

Armed people in bars should be encouraged. People stupid enough to arm themselves and then enter a place that exists for the purpose of alcohol consumption, should be encouraged to wipe each other out.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:55 AM

Quote:

this.