DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 10-26-2011, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Art Blakey

Hey Guys,

I know this conversation has been over for a while, but I just posted an article about Blakey's groove on my blog that I thought you all would appreciate. Check it out:

http://haredrums.blogspot.com/2011/1...rive-band.html

Let me know what you think.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousnomad View Post
I saw Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers at a JazzMobile concert outdoors at Grants Tomb on the edge of Harlem in NYC ~ 1978. I still remember it vividly! The first tune was Free for All (from one of the greatest Blue Note Albums). From the downbeat it was one of the most exciting concerts I have ever seen. When you watched him play, it was pure music. You didn't see the kind of technique that some people have acquired these days (not so important), but you FELT an amazing force that ignited the band and music and made you realize that there was something special here. The feeling in the music sent chills up your spine.
Just listening to those old Jazz Messengers albums sends chills up my spine, I can't begin to imagine what it must have been like to experience Blakey live!

Blakey opened the door to jazz for me. I remember exactly when and how. I heard a Jazz Messengers version of Only a Paper Moon and the very first beat began with Blakey striking his crash/ride on the edge and then continuing with the classic jazz ding-a-ding ride pattern. (Sorry, I'm not technically competent enough to explain this in proper music terms)

The recording (on a BlueNote best of collection) seemed too smooth for it to be live, but I never found a studio album that had this version on it. Strange? And I've got a ton of Blakey albums. Does anyone know which album this particular version might be on?

I'm slightly disappointed that this thread only has 40 something posts. But then again, it's not surprising. Blakey wasn't just a drummer but a band leader that provided the structure and basis for some of the most amazing music. Like I said about another drummer (Brian Blade), you just can't rationalise what he did. Words are not enough.
With Blakey, it's arguably all the more difficult to explain because his technique and style seems, dare I say, quite basic compared to the complexity and technique so many drummers show. And still, the swing and groove he created with only a few simple strokes was out of this world. I suppose you have to feel it to believe it.

People ask what came before the big bang, I reckon it was Art Blakey!
Old 09-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Stand View Post
Just listening to those old Jazz Messengers albums sends chills up my spine, I can't begin to imagine what it must have been like to experience Blakey live!

Blakey opened the door to jazz for me. I remember exactly when and how. I heard a Jazz Messengers version of Only a Paper Moon and the very first beat began with Blakey striking his crash/ride on the edge and then continuing with the classic jazz ding-a-ding ride pattern. (Sorry, I'm not technically competent enough to explain this in proper music terms)

The recording (on a BlueNote best of collection) seemed too smooth for it to be live, but I never found a studio album that had this version on it. Strange? And I've got a ton of Blakey albums. Does anyone know which album this particular version might be on?

I'm slightly disappointed that this thread only has 40 something posts. But then again, it's not surprising. Blakey wasn't just a drummer but a band leader that provided the structure and basis for some of the most amazing music. Like I said about another drummer (Brian Blade), you just can't rationalise what he did. Words are not enough.
With Blakey, it's arguably all the more difficult to explain because his technique and style seems, dare I say, quite basic compared to the complexity and technique so many drummers show. And still, the swing and groove he created with only a few simple strokes was out of this world. I suppose you have to feel it to believe it.

People ask what came before the big bang, I reckon it was Art Blakey!
I saw Blakey live in either 1982 or 1983, I don't recall. Wynton was with him then. All I recall was my adrenaline going wild - same way when I sat about 8 feet from Buddy's bass drum all night. Both left a lifelong impression on me.

Free for All is a killer album.

The Big Beat is the studio album where you'll find It's "Only A Paper Moon".
Old 09-20-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I saw Blakey live in either 1982 or 1983, I don't recall. Wynton was with him then. All I recall was my adrenaline going wild - same way when I sat about 8 feet from Buddy's bass drum all night. Both left a lifelong impression on me.

Free for All is a killer album.

The Big Beat is the studio album where you'll find It's "Only A Paper Moon".
Hi dmacc,

I certainly envy you for those experiences. I'm afraid Art was long gone before I'd even started drumming at the age of 14.

I don't think this is the same version of It's Only a Paper Moon. I have the Big Beat and from memory it doesn't sound quite the same. Can't check because the "Best Of" CD is at my dad's place hundreds of miles away.

I don't think the Rudy van Gelder remaster would have altered the sound so substantially that it sounded like a different version either.

The search continues.