DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 09-01-2013, 04:13 AM

Default Re: Rhys Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
BonzoBonham...Wow thanks for that poster!

Mini thread derail here, I'm sorry but I HAVE to mention this....The trio band that I have been in for the past 3 years? It's called the Don Evans Band. Yep, the same Don Evans credited on the poster. He is the New York guitarist mentioned in post # 6. He played, and is credited on, Billy Joel's first album, and he did the Piano Man tour. Obviously, he knows Rhys and has mentioned him in the past, that's why this thread caught my eye. I wasn't aware of Rhys other than Don mentioning him.

I can't believe I get to play with Don, he is THE best musician I personally know. Thanks for this. I am going to forward a link to this poster to Don. I am not sure if he is the guitarist pictured, as there are 2 guitarists mentioned. I don't think that's Don, but it might be. His looks have changed over the years. I forwarded it to him, and he will tell me if that is him. He should get a huge kick from this poster.
Don played guitar for Billy from 1973-75. He took over for Al when the Piano Man tour began.

Don, like Al was no slouch! I am in touch with Larry, the bass player and he told me Al was only 17 when he joined the band in 1971.

https://www.facebook.com/HighSeasMusic is Rhys's page. Lots of rare pics from his 1971-72 tour with Billy, including ones he took himself (he is also a photography buff as well).

Is it just me, or was he the only guy to have a 14' crash mounted dead center on the top of the bass drum?
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2013, 04:03 PM

Went to his page and inquired to what size his drums were... got this back:

"Hello xxxxx..Appreciate Your ''look-in''..Blaemire drum sizes; bd..24x14 rack 1..13x9 rack 2..14x10 floor..16x16 snare..5 1/2x14"

Essentially a copy of a Ludwig Pro Beat, minus the 18 inch FT. and all that time I assumed the drums were 12, 13, 16 and 22.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoBonham View Post
Went to his page and inquired to what size his drums were... got this back:

"Hello xxxxx..Appreciate Your ''look-in''..Blaemire drum sizes; bd..24x14 rack 1..13x9 rack 2..14x10 floor..16x16 snare..5 1/2x14"

Essentially a copy of a Ludwig Pro Beat, minus the 18 inch FT. and all that time I assumed the drums were 12, 13, 16 and 22.
Jerry had talked with him extensively the other day, and had told me about the drum sizes. His 24" bass drum is only the fourth one that we know of in existence.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 09-03-2013, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundguyKenny View Post
I asked him about this set.......They were stolen out of his car.
I asked Rhys about this particular kit... funny it was NEVER a Hollywood to begin with! Here's what I got back:

"Yes xxx, the Blaemires became ''set 2''..the Blue Oyster Pearl Ludwigs, I purchased (brand-new) 1966...Super Classic..4-piece..22x14..13x9..16x16..5/12 snare..added 14x10 tom '71..''glad You asked''

Like I said, go to his FB page and ask him anything. He will answer back.
Attached Images

Last edited by BonzoBonham; 09-03-2013 at 03:54 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:49 AM
Gold Member

Met Rhys today over at Jerry's house. Good solid player with alot of great stories. He really loved the Jenkins/Martin drums!

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 09-14-2013, 06:04 PM

Rhys will be playing one of our (Jenkins-Martin) fiberglass snares at the NYC/Philly shows.
He came over this week and play one of our kits and really loved the sound and said we had nailed the Blaemire sound he loved. He is quite a character and did have a lot of great stories as Greg said. He gave a short description of how he came to use Blaemire drums which I video taped. It can be seen on our website (below) on our Youtube channel.

http://www.jenkinsmartindrums.com/
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2013, 08:08 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I am going to the Philly show, as the leader of my trio was part of Billy Joel's band back in the early days of the band. Don has remained good friends with Rhys over the years. Don loves Rhys drumming, so this will be a great opportunity for me to see Rhys do his thing and also support my band mate. I'll take note of the snare sounds and report back.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumjinx View Post
Rhys will be playing one of our (Jenkins-Martin) fiberglass snares at the NYC/Philly shows.
He came over this week and play one of our kits and really loved the sound and said we had nailed the Blaemire sound he loved. He is quite a character and did have a lot of great stories as Greg said. He gave a short description of how he came to use Blaemire drums which I video taped. It can be seen on our website (below) on our Youtube channel.

http://www.jenkinsmartindrums.com/
Cool video... nice to know the history of those drums and how he got them. I assume the Blaemire snare was stolen with his '66 Ludwigs.