DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 09-10-2013, 10:41 AM

Default Yamaha late 80's early 90's drum hardware

Hello drummerforum,

First time posting, stumbled with the forum a few months ago. I have found this forum informative with useful advice for anyone who looks for answers on drums. Anyway, I am Juan from So. Cal, a Yamaha drum fan currently building/collecting Yamaha drums and hardware. Here is my first question for you guys.

For all Yamaha drum connoisseour's out there, anyone know what the deal was with the hardware from this era? More specifically late 80's-early 90's that have the red label instead of the older clear or later purple.. I have found it to be very well made who holds anything you put on them and and has stood up the test of time. I found a couple of the bigger boom cymbal stands that have the counterweight on the tail of the boom. Man these are massive and weigh almost 20 lbs! I would like your guys' feedback on Yamaha's hardware for the era. I am planning to match most of this older hardware with a recently acquired RC kit. I will follow this post witch pics of these stands.

Thanks guys!
Old 09-10-2013, 04:35 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Yamaha late 80's early 90's drum hardware

In general, other than the fitting design and the stickers, these stands were practically the same as the current stands. If it's not broken and all that. I think Yamaha was among the first, if not THE first, to offer the disappearing boom on their stands.

You can still find a lot of these stands going for low prices on eBay. Have fun!
Old 09-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Silver Member

i still have my stands bought in 1987-88 when i got a tour custom kit. RE the stands...IMHO, there was a serious design flaw: the very bottom pole of each stand was held in place by a machine crimp. over time they all failed to some degree. i have hose clamped almost all of them & only gig w/ 1 as an extra stand. if i were a welder, it would be a non-issue, but something to consider if you are matching up vintage gear. they are also a bit tight now, but probably fixed if i disassembled & silicone sprayed (hmmm. idea.). i have a tom stand that i used for 13 / 15 (ala weckl) power toms that will hold up a truck. the weak link is the 80s ball & socket that slips a bit (current ball /socket much better) but still passable.

that said, the design from the mid / late 80s was cutting edge & became the new standard...boom stands that telescope INSIDE each other ??? yes !! yamaha hardware had always been my favorite & continues w/ all sorts of new stand i have now (incredibly NICE).
Old 09-10-2013, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

I had all the Red/Black sticker stands back then.
The 7 and 9 series stands. LOVED them. I wasn't happy with the tilter design change, and the lightning bolt wing nuts though--ruined the whole vibe for me, but that's just MY issue haha!

Very sturdy stands, could hold anything, and hold it well. The nylon ball could become iffy over time, but they could always be replaced for a few bucks--nothing lasts forever.
Simple design, and it all worked together. I held a 13x15, & a 16x16 (on RIMS) on a 900 double tom stand. Had to adjust once in a while, but it was usually in the same spot--even without having a hardware case.

I never had the bottom tube issue, but one early stand I had did have one of the inserts for the wing bolt tightener come out. It was epoxied back in, and never had any other issues.

Other than that one minor thing on one stand, it was great gear--and I had a LOT of it :-)

The addition of the memory lock for the boom arm was a good idea on the modern stuff.
Not a fan of the YESS mount--any version.

..I can't believe I carried all those 900 stands with my "Tommy Aldridge" style kit....double tom stands, 6-8 straight stands, hat, snare, the two cymbal holder pieces on the bass drums...oh man...and I was happy to do it too!
Now I use single/light weight version double, or flat base stands hahaha!
Old 09-10-2013, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member

Last year I sold my RC's that I purchased new in the early 1980's. When I did, I also sold all of the 8000 + 9000 hardware that I purchased in the early 80's as well. As good & sturdy as the day I purchased it new.

So good that I still use Yamaha hardware today on my Gretsch sets. Just use the 600 & 700 series single braced stuff.

Love it.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_G View Post
i still have my stands bought in 1987-88 when i got a tour custom kit. RE the stands...IMHO, there was a serious design flaw: the very bottom pole of each stand was held in place by a machine crimp. over time they all failed to some degree. i have hose clamped almost all of them & only gig w/ 1 as an extra stand. if i were a welder, it would be a non-issue, but something to consider if you are matching up vintage gear. they are also a bit tight now, but probably fixed if i disassembled & silicone sprayed (hmmm. idea.). i have a tom stand that i used for 13 / 15 (ala weckl) power toms that will hold up a truck. the weak link is the 80s ball & socket that slips a bit (current ball /socket much better) but still passable.

that said, the design from the mid / late 80s was cutting edge & became the new standard...boom stands that telescope INSIDE each other ??? yes !! yamaha hardware had always been my favorite & continues w/ all sorts of new stand i have now (incredibly NICE).
I bought 88 Tour Customs also. I still have them. 800 series stands and no problems at all.
Sabian AA,AAX,HH,
Paiste Sig.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:09 AM
Platinum Member

Even the new hardware is probably my favorite design along with the top Sonor and top line Premier.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:31 AM
Gold Member

I use Yamaha hardware with any of the kits I own, regardless of brand. IMHO, its simply the best. I still have some stands from the early 80's that I've gigged heavily with. Have a couple of things broken? Sure, but by and large it has been amazingly reliable. The nylon inserts in all of the stands was a big design component. It holds the sections nice and tight, without torking the heck out of all of the wing bolts.

As far as I can tell, the only difference between the silver and red lable stuff, is the feet of the base. I own some of each, and the rest of it looks the same. The hi-hat stands did change designs. With the purple label, everything changed, but some of the basic ideas are intact. What has struck me over the years is how interchangable and compatible all of the pieces are with each other. I guess that's why they used to call it 'Yamaha System Hardware.' It truly is an entire system of compatible parts, kind of like Tinker Toys or Legos back in the day. The lightning bolt design doesn't bother me. Its been around for a while now, but the traditional wing bolts do have a certain slicker look to them.

Here's one of my kits (kidding, of course):
Attached Images

Yamaha Oak
Yamaha Tour
1966 Ludwig
Old 09-11-2013, 03:07 AM

I have all Yamaha hardware on my sets as well. I have a mix of 90s 9000 stands and the more recent purple label stuff. I think it's all good. I actually prefer the newer hardware to the older stuff. I don't like the 9000 double braced legs for the tom/cymbal holders. I would have preferred the traditional angled support on the double braced legs instead of the support that runs parallel to the floor. You can't cross the legs of two different stands.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:26 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Hodge View Post
I would have preferred the traditional angled support on the double braced legs instead of the support that runs parallel to the floor. You can't cross the legs of two different stands.
Try this: don't move the support all the way down the tube. Tighten it midway down the bottom tube, to essentially make it angled. You don't need to make the support parallel to the floor. I've been doing mine that way forever. It also makes for a slightly smaller foot print, for when spacing is an issue.
Yamaha Oak
Yamaha Tour
1966 Ludwig
Old 09-11-2013, 11:05 AM

Thanks for all your guys feedback. I'm glad to see others share the same passion for equipment like only Yamaha can do. Take a look at these big stands. I don't have a model number yet, but later the similar stands were labeled as CS-925. These are BIG and HEAVY, they hold anything you throw at them. Anyone had these? When were they available?

Thanks again!
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGH View Post
I use Yamaha hardware with any of the kits I own, regardless of brand. IMHO, its simply the best. I still have some stands from the early 80's that I've gigged heavily with. Have a couple of things broken? Sure, but by and large it has been amazingly reliable. The nylon inserts in all of the stands was a big design component. It holds the sections nice and tight, without torking the heck out of all of the wing bolts.

As far as I can tell, the only difference between the silver and red lable stuff, is the feet of the base. I own some of each, and the rest of it looks the same. The hi-hat stands did change designs. With the purple label, everything changed, but some of the basic ideas are intact. What has struck me over the years is how interchangable and compatible all of the pieces are with each other. I guess that's why they used to call it 'Yamaha System Hardware.' It truly is an entire system of compatible parts, kind of like Tinker Toys or Legos back in the day. The lightning bolt design doesn't bother me. Its been around for a while now, but the traditional wing bolts do have a certain slicker look to them.

Here's one of my kits (kidding, of course):
Indeed BGH I have taken note of how they have kept the same design with minor adjustments like the wing bolts. Also they changed the pedal design on the hi-hat stands. Speaking of hi-hat stands, the earlier ones had a small bar above the chain down below the stand. I am assuming this was used to keep the pedal closed.

Also, the tom mounts went through a change around mid 90's? The newer ones somehow break the thread on the small bolts that keep the mount closed on the ball socket. I have some older mounts with short rods for YESS that don't have this problem. Any of you guys had issues with these?
Old 09-11-2013, 05:54 PM

I bought a Hexrack II and was looking to replace my tom mounts. I read a lot of reviews about the new style tom mounts stripping from over-tightening. I stayed with my orignal mounts. They're all leaned to one side, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joao3208 View Post
Also, the tom mounts went through a change around mid 90's? The newer ones somehow break the thread on the small bolts that keep the mount closed on the ball socket. I have some older mounts with short rods for YESS that don't have this problem. Any of you guys had issues with these?
Old 09-12-2013, 01:04 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Hodge View Post
I bought a Hexrack II and was looking to replace my tom mounts. I read a lot of reviews about the new style tom mounts stripping from over-tightening. I stayed with my orignal mounts. They're all leaned to one side, but...
I've got both old style (from early 90's) and newer style…honestly they're both fine..no issues with either...
Old 09-12-2013, 01:35 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joao3208 View Post
Indeed BGH I have taken note of how they have kept the same design with minor adjustments like the wing bolts.
Some other differences to note over the years with yamaha stands, include:
  • Red & silver label stands - made in Japan; purple label stands - made in Indonesia
  • Red & silver tilters had larger teeth; purple label stands finer teeth on tilters
  • Purple label stands had a short period where they offered offset tilters (approx. 2003-2006)
  • Red & silver label stands had more differences in leg stance widths (CS-925 stands had the widest stance, along with all of the earlier silver label stands); more standardized widths on purple label stands
  • Red & silver label stands had larger diameter tubing in vertical sections (and variance between series); purple label stands more standard diameter in all series
  • Red & silver stands had round knurled clamping mechinism between vertical sections; purple label use an offset (non-round clamping mech.)
  • Red, silver & early purple label versions used a pinched bolt type of clamp on boom tilter; latest purple label booms use the full tilter as a hinged clamp (better)

This is just a few of the differences…they are somewhat minor in nature but do show some changes that occurred in the hardware..

Last edited by scorch whammin; 09-12-2013 at 02:19 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member

Until now there are 3 up following purple labeled series.

I play Yamaha and its hardware for over 21 years now and its still the best. Especially the old (some 30+ years) and the new can handle extensive playing and carting around.

There have been a lot of changes in the designs over these years, some good some and some questionable. Yet always sturdy and trustful as heck