DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 09-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Your Favorite Alcohol High

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Can't believe I'm the first person to come here and say that this idea that different liquors produce different highs is bulls***. I don't buy it. Alcohol is alcohol.

Okay, now that that's out of the way: I love good scotch. I prefer the Islay single malts.
Scientifically correct. I think people have trouble separating the actual alcohol intoxication from the way the vehicle makes them feel - for example beer makes some people feel overly full, wine gives some people a headache, sugary drinks may carry their own interaction with the body's chemistry, etc, etc.

But for the most part you are right - alcohol is alcohol. I just picked what I LIKE, lol. And I like Islay single malts, too!
Old 09-06-2013, 05:33 PM
Platinum Member

When I was young and dumb it was Bacardi 151 and coke. Drinking copious amounts of that did make me drunk but it certainly didn't make me any less dumb! :)

Now - summertime it's either a margarita on the rocks (no salt please) or whiskey and diet coke. Also I love white merlot wine in the summer.

Winter - a few Black russians are always good to make me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside. I used to drink a lot of red wines but have honestly burnt out on them for the most part.

Holidays, special occassions or when I'm just feeling froggy. a yummy mocha martini hits the spot (made with vodka, Creme de Cacao, a splash of cream and some quality coffee liqueur such as Godiva). Shaken, not stirred, of course.

As for beer...I love the dark beers...a good stout, porter or dunkel is nice however the worst hangovers I get are with beer so I rarely drink them anymore. They really leave me feeling crappy.

Yep, that about covers it...lol.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Can't believe I'm the first person to come here and say that this idea that different liquors produce different highs is bulls***. I don't buy it. Alcohol is alcohol.

Okay, now that that's out of the way: I love good scotch. I prefer the Islay single malts.
Pure alcohol is indeed alcohol.

But in terms of drinks, no beer, wine or hard liquor is pure alcohol. If they were, there would be no difference between a $9.99 bottle of whiskey and a $50 bottle of scotch.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:55 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Interesting. I definitely notice a difference in the feeling between alcohols. Beer makes me talk loud and feel happy. Rum just dulls everything and it's a very boring feeling. Not happy on Rum. Happy on Kamakaze, Happy on Whiskey. Rum and wine, no happy.

Gomez Addams
Old 09-06-2013, 07:07 PM

My sort of thread......I do like a drink...any drink.....all have similar effects on me..except vodka, I get nasty as **** on vodka; tried it 3 times and I was a swine to everyone all 3 times. Don't even bother anymore...
Everything else; I'm just a happy drunk, no issues with the world, all's good with me, but I am not a 'social' drinker, I drink to get drunk or I don't drink at all...
Old 09-06-2013, 07:47 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I agree with you, partially. Ethyl-alcohol is the primary intoxicant in any hard drink. Period. So the mixing concept (beer before liquor makes you sicker, etc,) is total horse manure. By extension, the primary drunkeness feeling/symptoms, is always going to be the same no matter what.

But your "high" is more complicated and intangible than that. If I got my BAC to 0.1 drinking straight vodka shots, versus drinking winecoolers, the trip would be a lot different even though I'm just as drunk. All that sugar has an affect on your mood, metabolism, etc. The feeling of being that full of liquid also has an affect of your comfort level and the amount activity your body is willing to put up with. etc,

Beers and Wines especially have all kinds of chemical components that create a much different biochemistry, than say if you drank the same amount of alcohol by volume of Everclear.

Some of its psychological too. If you loved drinking wine with your wife of 20 years, but now she has run off with someone else, you probably won't enjoy drinking wine anymore, at least while you are still bitter about it..

Yes, in general these are subtle, I personally don't feel that much difference between different forms of alcohol, and when it comes to hard liquor it tends to vary more by mixer than by liquor.. but I will admit they are there.

Last edited by wsabol; 09-06-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Pure alcohol is indeed alcohol.

But in terms of drinks, no beer, wine or hard liquor is pure alcohol. If they were, there would be no difference between a $9.99 bottle of whiskey and a $50 bottle of scotch.
+1.Correct.The difference is in the delivery system.Some alcohols sugar content is higher than others,so the effect will be different,but only slightly.

If you drink any two types alcohol,that have the same proof or alcohol content......one will not get you drunker,or make you fell totally different than the other.

Alcohol is what gets you high.

Having said that,with the exception of Yuengling,Sam Adams and a hand full of micro brewed stuff,American beer sucks.....period.Bud,Coors,Miller and just about any other American beer you can think of.....is pure swill,especially the light and ultralight stuff.Give me my German import beer in a bottle or on tap.

Most of the wine I drink is local vineyard stuff,and very good wine,without the pricetag.

I also enjoy my Jack Daniels Green label wiskey neat..Some Grey Goose or Gabo Wabo tequila out of the freezer with a little lime is great also.

During the summer,gin and tonic,or Springbank single malt in the winter,with the occasional warmed Courvoisier.

Steve B
Old 09-06-2013, 08:02 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Sumo View Post
[b] I drink to get drunk or I don't drink at all...
Me too. Not really drunk though. Somewhere after drunk but before puking works for me.

Gomez Addams
Old 09-06-2013, 11:11 PM
Renegade

If we're going to be technical, alcohol is a depressant so can its disinhibition qualities be called a high? (taking into account that its effects are mood dependent). I think it can be a kind of high and the effects do vary between different drinks as wsabol said.

Champagne is a good example because you become intoxicated so quickly - the feeling of being drunk with only a small amount of alcohol in your system is different to the feeling of drunkenness a long session.

Soundcloud stream
Old 09-06-2013, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Me too. Not really drunk though. Somewhere after drunk but before puking works for me.
See I knew I liked you! My philosophy as well ;)
Old 09-06-2013, 11:39 PM
"Uncle Larry"

No! Nothing technical Anon! Lol. Stop number crunching! Have a drink!

Sometimes I have the intentions of getting a little drunky wunky, but after 1 drink I decide I don't want to go through with it.

Gomez Addams
Old 09-07-2013, 12:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Somewhere after drunk but before puking works for me.
I can't even get close to that these days. It just ruins a good night for me. bed spin is something I dread, yet my stupidity leads me there sometimes.

It doesn't take much. In my more mature years, I've become a cheap date.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:02 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I've learned if you can ride through the bed spin, without puking of course, it stops. I just breathe heavy until it evens out . But I don't get that drunk anymore. I know enough to stop well before that. If I drank beer on a regular basis I would weigh 300 lbs. No thanks.

Gomez Addams
Old 09-07-2013, 01:36 AM
Platinum Member

Honestly, I'm weaksauce. I can't have more than 2-3 beers or a big glass of wine, anymore. It was fun when I was younger but I'm trying to retain whatever gray matter I haven't scorched already. Getting blackout, stupid drunk a few times and forgetting half the night, was sobering for me. :)
Old 09-07-2013, 02:16 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Getting drunk was sobering lol.

Gomez Addams
Old 09-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
That sounds like a good one. Had to Google it. It's a 7 year old dark Indian rum and it has a 5 star rating. I wonder if they have it at BevMo (a large liquor store chain).
It's delicious, I hope you can find a bottle. Frighteningly good for a rum that costs roughly $10 for a full bottle, haha. You wouldn't believe it!
Old 09-07-2013, 12:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
Honestly, I'm weaksauce. I can't have more than 2-3 beers or a big glass of wine, anymore. It was fun when I was younger but I'm trying to retain whatever gray matter I haven't scorched already. Getting blackout, stupid drunk a few times and forgetting half the night, was sobering for me. :)
It's the blackouts that worried me. I've been caught by friends swinging around not one but two bouncers and threatening to punch their lights out, fallen straight through glass tables, walked around at a CRAZY birthday party referring to myself as Jimmy, got into a car crash and asked the Doctor that was stitching up my head, "I be Jimmy, who might you be?" That's the stuff I heard about. Once I woke up on a rafting trip standing at the entrance to the camp. Just woke up. First thought was to go and get some cigarettes and some army soldier is telling me, "Go back! Go back to the camp!" I had to argue with him and he followed me till I found a shop, bought some cigs and returned to base.

Creepy. Got to keep Jimmy inside, hahaha.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Getting drunk was sobering lol.
Heh. :) You've heard of "scared straight"...now you have "drunken sober".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggae_Mangle View Post
It's the blackouts that worried me. I've been caught by friends swinging around not one but two bouncers and threatening to punch their lights out, fallen straight through glass tables, walked around at a CRAZY birthday party referring to myself as Jimmy...

Creepy. Got to keep Jimmy inside, hahaha.
Yeah, I heard a few of my own stories afterward...that was it for me. Clearly my inner-Irishman needed taming.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:39 AM
Silver Member

Being of Scottish descent, its Scotch whisky (Mortlach, please!) or any other highland single malt. Next on the list is bourbon. I like Angels Envy right now.

F
Old 09-09-2013, 05:42 AM

Gin and sparkling wine, favorite cocktail. Pimm's Cup in this part of summer is good.

Also the pumpkin beers. They're coming out with the seasonal beers too early! It's like Christmas ads before Thanksgiving.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:52 AM
Silver Member

I was drinking Absinthe in Germany. Later that night I was looking for alligators with a lovely young lady and playing ding and ditch (something very un German like to do!) with same lovely young lady.
Session Work
Old 09-09-2013, 06:08 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I've learned if you can ride through the bed spin, without puking of course, it stops. I just breathe heavy until it evens out .
Put one foot on the floor, it makes the room stop. I don't know why, but it does.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
Put one foot on the floor, it makes the room stop. I don't know why, but it does.
+1 .
Old 09-09-2013, 08:29 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
How else are you going to make the room stop turning if there's no hand brake?

Soundcloud stream
Old 09-09-2013, 07:55 PM

My favorite alcohol highs depends what mood and company I'm in.

Me myself and I: Scotch (Never understood why people hating on drinking by yourself, I used to do it once a month and it was lovely as long I had some great music/stand up to entertain myself with)
Me and my girl home watching a great movie: Red wine.Makes me feel warm and lovely inside.

Getting crazy the last night on a festival with big group of friends: White wine, for whatever reasons nothing gets me more wild and crazy. Had my best nights out with white wine and my only blackouts in my life.

Clubbing all night and have to keep the energy up to dance to 6 in the morning: Jack and Coke or even better Jägermeister and redbull!(It's makes you wild happy and energized)

Don't know what 8mile talking about, off course different liquors affect you differently. It's not only alcohol that affects the high, it's also other drugs like caffeine and herbal stuff that's in Absinthe and Jägermeister for example. Also very different if you build up your drunk under a period of 5 hours drinking beer or if you shotting tequila shots and get drunk in 5 minutes.(Hate tequila >_<)

These days I'm so boring and never really get to the point were I feel high. Mainly drink red wine and beers for the taste.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:22 PM

Not a social drinker... getting drunk or abstaining completely. But if I do drink, here's my preferences:

1. Margaritas, although I don't bother with tequila by itself
2. Wine
3. Kahlua
4. Beer, in between the others

Not the most manly tastes ever but who cares? Gets me where I want to be and tastes great. Anyone who drinks more masculine beverages just to prove something is lame... simply liking them is a different story, of course.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

The wife and I have started having gin and tonics in the evening. Just one each, and we share the bit that's left in the cocktail shaker. It's a great way to start the evening off.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

Speaking of gin and shakers, I do enjoy an extra dry martini. The real kind, with gin, of course. Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray. And Noilly Prat dry vermouth. Three olives, stuffed with pimento or bleu cheese. Shaken OR stirred, both work for me.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:58 AM

This is rather a crude topic but I have to say, it is a nice day for a guiness.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:43 AM

Makers Mark Manhattan! cant drink too many though they are quite powerful if made correctly. I almost forgot you have to have the imported nicaraguan cigar with it.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrockdrummer View Post
Makers Mark Manhattan! cant drink too many though they are quite powerful if made correctly. I almost forgot you have to have the imported nicaraguan cigar with it.
For an absolutely "authentic" Manhattan, I use rye, specifically Bulleit 95% rye. Can't be beat.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:03 PM

I primarily drink beer; I drink quite a bit of beer, and I usually go for something different as much as I can. I visit Sam Adams every Monday when I'm not working ("church"), and I have a hghschool friend that works at a bar around here with 112 on draught, whom I'll visit after church. He hooks me up with beers, and they're usually pretty damn good. I've probably had close to 200 different beers in the last year.

I prefer bourbon, and I love a good Manhattan. I always have a bottle of the Macallan; I'm not really into the overly peaty, smoky scotches.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Platinum Member

I like everything but I'm particularly into cocktails these days (I even have a blog on the subject that I haven't updated for a while).

Consequently variety is the thing I like, but there are certain perennial favourites...a Negroni takes some beating. Maybe it's the bitterness but Campari just seems like it's good for me! I've heard people say similar things about Fernet Branca so it could be true.

I also enjoy fortified wines quite a bit at the moment...vermouth, sherry, port...and vintage cocktail recipes containing them like the Sherry Cobbler, the Hearst and the Martinez. Not to mention other old-fashioned mixed drinks like the Sazerac and the Old Fashioned itself. I'm a bit of a cocktail scholar so always on the lookout for new recipes, or old long-forgotten ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
And if at a cocktail party, I can work my way through the entire list whilst at the same time turning up my nose at how unmanly the whole concept is and ordering a beer chaser in order to add some extra testosterone.
I've never been much concerned with manliness, but it always amuses me to drink (and enjoy) things that other people find intolerable...this could be ale if they're lager drinkers, a dry Martini if they're Pina Colada drinkers, or even Campari if they're gin drinkers. Or absinthe, green chartreuse, or any of the foul herbal concoctions so popular in continental Europe.

Actually, if you're after a manly cocktail, one of my favourites is the Chancellor:

2 measures scotch (something nice and peaty is best)
1 measure ruby port
1/2 measure dry vermouth
Orange bitters

Not a drink that most people will be able to stomach in my experience, so ideal for chest-beating displays of male dominance in the drinks world, if you can find a way to hold a cocktail glass without looking silly. But, James Bond manages. Speaking of whom, the above recipe should be stirred. No shaking permitted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by con struct View Post
For an absolutely "authentic" Manhattan, I use rye, specifically Bulleit 95% rye. Can't be beat.
Never a truer word was spoken...it's a constant source of annoyance to me that you can't get the damn stuff in a supermarket in the UK. Comprehensive selection of scotch, yes...a few Irish whiskies, yes...four or five different bourbons, yes, but no rye! And I don't want to pay extortionate delivery charges to buy it online.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:24 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
The wife and I have started having gin and tonics in the evening. Just one each, and we share the bit that's left in the cocktail shaker. It's a great way to start the evening off.
Jay failed to mention that his cocktail shakers are 5 gallon buckets.

Gomez Addams
Old 09-12-2013, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Jay failed to mention that his cocktail shakers are 5 gallon buckets.
One for me and one for the wife. I had them specially made.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQleyR View Post
Originally Posted by con struct

Never a truer word was spoken...it's a constant source of annoyance to me that you can't get the damn stuff in a supermarket in the UK. Comprehensive selection of scotch, yes...a few Irish whiskies, yes...four or five different bourbons, yes, but no rye! And I don't want to pay extortionate delivery charges to buy it online.
A bottle of Bulleit rye from the Whiskey Exchange will cost you forty quid.

Send me your address, Ben, and I'll ship a bottle over to you.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You should try the Templeton Rye too if you like the rye whiskey. Amazing flavor straight up!
Old 10-08-2013, 02:38 PM

Default Re: What is the your favorite alcohol high?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Favourite high? If I'm honest then I'll have to answer, all of 'em.

Beer. Only ever had two kinds....good and better. Bud doesn't count as no-one could seriously consider it beer.
Jack Daniels. Sipped neat from a glass if I'm refined. Swigged straight from the bottle if I'm not (and the missus is nowhere in sight) and sometimes with coke if the desire takes me.
Bourbon. If for some reason I can't get Jack.
Vodka tonic. No lemon or lime wedges....why do they do that? Talk about ruining a good drink.
Gin and tonic. If no vodka....again, sans lemon/lime.
Red wine. Either expensive or quaffer.....all the same to me.
I also have an expensive penchant for French champagne.
And if at a cocktail party, I can work my way through the entire list whilst at the same time turning up my nose at how unmanly the whole concept is and ordering a beer chaser in order to add some extra testosterone.
Never much cared for Scotch, but I often wonder that now I'm older I should try to aquire a taste for some of the well aged stuff.

Sorry for the essay......I guess you could say I'm partial to a tipple.
I'm inclined to agree with this man. I just drink anything I can get my hands on. except petrol, benzene, etc...
'never again!' is quite frequently mumbled the next morning along with violent cursing but to no avail. and the orange juice in the fridge disappears...
Old 10-08-2013, 03:29 PM

#1) Vodka & Ginger Ale w/lime. My Grandfather's drink. It reminds me of him, and I actually like the taste.

#2) Beer. Anything BUT Coors Light. I'd lean towards Canadian Beer or Amstel first. But after that ... Beer is beer.

#3) Southern Comfort & Egg Nog. (Ok, this is just a Christmas Holiday Season treat.)
Old 10-09-2013, 03:04 AM

Saki.