DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 09-01-2013, 12:14 AM

Default good drum rack for low price and cymbal talk

i have just recently bought a tama starclassic bubinga in silver snow racing stripe, i am looking to buy a drum rack and i want to spend between 100 - 200 on one, i want it to have 3 sides to it, i have seen the pearl dr 80 drum rack for 135 on GAK.co.uk so i may go for this but i need to know wether this is a good drum rack as it will be holding a fair amount of cymbals and 2-3 rack toms and possibly a floor tom or two in the future, your views would be much appreciated.

also...

cymbals, i have just bought the sabian aax x-plosion cymbal set at the same time as my kit but i dont really like the hats or the ride and i want to get new ones, i like the look of the zildjian k/z 14" special hi hats (mainly because tre cool uses them) and the zildjian 22" ping ride. i mainly play rock, alternative and sometimes pop. also as i have a 16 and 18" crash, i would like to buy a 14" also, if you have any recommendations please do comment, every view will help.

i am currently selling the sabian aax 20" stage ride on ebay along with my old zildjian zbt hi hats, which i wish that i never put up but i need to pay the credit card bill off somehow haha! here is the link, they are both up for 210 but i am willing to go lower, just offer me a price on there if you would like them and i will seriously consider it. - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2310400443...84.m1558.l2649

also i would like a 12" and 18" china, any recommendations? i have never owned a china cymbal, not even over the 8 years of playing haha!so i don't really know anything about them, any recommendations would be insanely helpful!

one more quick question, with the drum rack, where can i buy just cymbal boom arm things that will be able to attach onto the drum rack, thanks:)
Old 09-01-2013, 03:17 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: good drum rack for low price and cymbal talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliejuson View Post
i have just recently bought a tama starclassic bubinga in silver snow racing stripe, i am looking to buy a drum rack and i want to spend between 100 - 200 on one, i want it to have 3 sides to it, i have seen the pearl dr 80 drum rack for 135 on GAK.co.uk so i may go for this but i need to know wether this is a good drum rack as it will be holding a fair amount of cymbals and 2-3 rack toms and possibly a floor tom or two in the future, your views would be much appreciated.

also...

cymbals, i have just bought the sabian aax x-plosion cymbal set at the same time as my kit but i dont really like the hats or the ride and i want to get new ones, i like the look of the zildjian k/z 14" special hi hats (mainly because tre cool uses them) and the zildjian 22" ping ride. i mainly play rock, alternative and sometimes pop. also as i have a 16 and 18" crash, i would like to buy a 14" also, if you have any recommendations please do comment, every view will help.

i am currently selling the sabian aax 20" stage ride on ebay along with my old zildjian zbt hi hats, which i wish that i never put up but i need to pay the credit card bill off somehow haha! here is the link, they are both up for 210 but i am willing to go lower, just offer me a price on there if you would like them and i will seriously consider it. - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2310400443...84.m1558.l2649

also i would like a 12" and 18" china, any recommendations? i have never owned a china cymbal, not even over the 8 years of playing haha!so i don't really know anything about them, any recommendations would be insanely helpful!

one more quick question, with the drum rack, where can i buy just cymbal boom arm things that will be able to attach onto the drum rack, thanks:)

For the china........I'd recommend looking into a Wuhan................they are extremely cheap and IMO sound like a "China" should. I know best buy has a 12" wuhan for around 13 bucks.

You should be able to find boom arms on ebay at a reasonable price.......just have to be patient and you'll find some decent deals
Old 09-01-2013, 06:04 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: good drum rack for low price and cymbal talk

The DR-80 is a nice enough rack ..... sure has stood the test of time. It's been around since the mid-80's. The main thing it lacks is adjustability. The tubes are square, and the clamps only allow you vertical, and horizontal pipe positioning. The more advanced Icon uses a clamp (if you buy it) that will tilt. PCX-200. Also, the height of the horizontal bars of the DR-80 are fixed. I had the larger DR-100 (same basic design), and I gigged with it for 10+ years. Pearl evolved the DR-100 into the Icon. The DR-80 hasn't changed.
Best bet would be sketch out your "planned" drum set configuration. Think about your needs. And possible future needs.
As far as China's, go out and play some. They vary greatly. I have 3. A Zildjian Amir II, that sounds totally rude and abrasive ..... A Paiste 502, that almost has a gong like quality ..... and a Masterwork Custom, that falls somewhere in-between (and much more old school).

Last edited by harryconway; 09-01-2013 at 06:15 AM.