DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:18 PM

Default Living in apartment or flat: solutions for practice?

I live in apartment and I don't have space for Drum and even because of neighbors can't bring a kit in my room. did you experience same and what are the solutions?
I'm tired of practicing with pad only:(
Old 08-29-2013, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Living in apartment or flat: solutions for practice?

I think it's rather obvious.

Arrange for all your neighbors to have "accidents" that make them no longer a problem.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post

Arrange for all your neighbors to have "accidents" that make them no longer a problem.
Oh, the old 'mass murder' suggestion...usually has unfortunate consequences tho...can you get an electric kit in your apartment? I started with electric drums because of neighbours/noise concerns etc
Otherwise, is there a music shop with a rehearsal space that you can rent? Really frustrating problem for you; there is very little with such small rewards as bashing away on a rubber pad...good luck, and please don't follow the good Doctors advice...toodles
Old 08-29-2013, 11:40 PM
Gold Member

......................E kit
Old 08-29-2013, 11:51 PM

An e-kit is really your best solution if you need to play a kit at home. But even then, I wouldn't suggest wailing on it at 3 in the morning just because it's an e-kit. The sound and impact from hitting an e-kit can still transfer through walls and floors, although much much less than an acoustic kit. I had a Yamaha DTX-treme III kit with the rubber pads and it actually made quite a bit of noise. If I had to do it again I'd look at the Rolands because they, IMO, have a better feel and are quieter too.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sina View Post

I live in apartment and I don't have space for Drum and even because of neighbors can't bring a kit in my room...

If you don't have space for an e-kit, take a look at something like this:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music...12/?mode=model
Old 08-30-2013, 06:42 AM

I live at an apartment and I have a TD9 and I haven't had any problems at all but even something like that might be too big for you if you say you don't have space.

This Roland kit on the other hand might use the same space as that Yamaha pad and looks like more fun.

They (Roland) also have a portable kit that folds for storage. You might want to check their website.
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2013, 07:10 AM
Silver Member

Pearl Rhythm Traveler which includes additional mesh heads and plastic cymbals for practice.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:19 PM

Thanks folks for all notes. I have Yamaha Electric Drum at home and practicing daily but there are lots of things to know with the acoustic kit like tuning, recording, knowing and playing with different sort of cymbals all these experiences need a real kit. Isn't it?
How ado you deal with this ?
Old 08-30-2013, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sina View Post
Thanks folks for all notes. I have Yamaha Electric Drum at home and practicing daily but there are lots of things to know with the acoustic kit like tuning, recording, knowing and playing with different sort of cymbals all these experiences need a real kit. Isn't it?
How ado you deal with this ?
You need an acoustic kit and cymbals for most of that, except recording. There is no satisfactory substitute.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
If you don't have space for an e-kit, take a look at something like this:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music...12/?mode=model
The Multi-12 is a useful compact multipad needing a lot of tweaking to make the standard drum kits sound better and easier to play. It's been worth the hassle as I can practice day or night in my apartment without disturbing the neighbors.

Last edited by Hansolo; 08-31-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
You need an acoustic kit and cymbals for most of that, except recording. There is no satisfactory substitute.
Sad but true. I only have an acoustic kit and it's really hard to adjust to acoustic kits because I am really lacking for exposure. I did get myself a set of Zildjian's Gen 16 electric acoustic cymbals though and that has really helped with being able to use the hi-hat proficiently, best thing about my ekit setup in my opinion.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

Lol, Dr_Watso! That is rather obvious, isn't it?
Old 08-30-2013, 06:02 PM

Hello Sina,

My house is small, with close neighbours, so using an e-kit is my only option. like you, I feel that I'm missing out on a lot of finer points. Also, when I have the chance to play on acoustics I find the level and variety of sound to be a bit overwhelming, and I need to get to the different sound before I can focus. So, I've been following this thread with interest.

I hope someday to make a mini kit that will fit my space (when i can play well enough that the neighbourhood may enjoy it) but for now this works and it's certainly far better than nothing.

:) Leanne
Old 08-30-2013, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

What I'm considering is practicing during the week on physical exercises - e.g. hands, feet and technical motions and then renting a practice space for a couple of hours to tie that all in at the end of a determined period of time.

Life has taken over at the moment but it's my plan.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I've been away for a while, and found myself wondering what had happened to the good Doctor.

Thankfully he is still here.

And your next question is?
Old 08-30-2013, 08:56 PM
Gold Member

Check out the storge space rentals in your area...and look for one that does not have expressed restrictions on noise in the contract.

Rent one, practice there.

With years of experience in this area, i found that you do not get a real practice of acoustic set skills on an e-kit....has alot to do with how you hear it...and, of course, how the stick/bass pedal rebound...and NOTHING replaces real cymbals - the flex in the metal and transitioning back to the flex of the various drum heads- a load of subtly is lost.

Don't get me wrong - you can develop some interesting skills on an e-kit that can mostly translate to an acoustic set...but the loss between the 2 is significant in my opinion.

Truly, we should be practicing on both....and practicing explicitly on what we plan to use in performance...hopefully as close to the performance environment/actions as possible.

(btw, I find the same restriction of applicable practice crossover between pads and a real acoustic set).
Old 08-30-2013, 11:32 PM

I'm playing on a e-kit at home and take lessons once a week +jam with a band once a week. It has made me used to both sets. In the beginning it was really hard but now I play the electronic more like an acoustic... (Play much harder, especially on the pedals!)
Before I was jamming with people I used to go to a studio by myself for 2-3 hours every week just to get used to the feel. There are a lot of studios in big cities with special solo drum rates.
If you go for electronic try to get a set that goes with a normal bass pedal and hi-hatstand+pedal. It will be more expensive but your foot-technique benefit a lot from it and you can use the pedal when you go to a studio to practice on a real kit.

If it's not too noisy I would go with a real kit + silence pads and forget about the e-kit!
I don't have any experience with it but my friend lived in a flat and seemed to survive the neighbors with it...you'll have to research that one.
Whatever you do, don't buy the cheapest e-kit with shitty pedals, your feet needs as much practice they can get on nice pedals...
Old 08-31-2013, 01:08 AM

I have been doing my regular kit and putting mesh heads on them ... stuff your kick full of pillows and put a mesh head on it too.

When tensioned, the mesh heads do create a tone ... feels similar to a real head.

The added bonus is that you are playing at a lower volume and you would be shocked at the things you will pick up about your technique/dynamics ... I have opened a who new world with this set up. I even bought nylon brushes and use them.

First night I had them, I set up the kit and went to town at 3am .. (keep in mind I have no downstairs neighnor) .. not one single complaint.

I use rubber cymbals in place of my real ones .. not the best but a far cry from a practice pad!!!
Old 08-31-2013, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
What I'm considering is practicing during the week on physical exercises - e.g. hands, feet and technical motions and then renting a practice space for a couple of hours to tie that all in at the end of a determined period of time.

Life has taken over at the moment but it's my plan.
That's basically what I do. I have a private room that I rent at a rehearsal studio complex. I keep my drums there because there's no way I can play at home without driving at least one person nuts. So during the week l mostly work with the pad and metronome and on weekends and the occasional weekday I'll head to my music room and play the kit.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciomako View Post
Pearl Rhythm Traveler which includes additional mesh heads and plastic cymbals for practice.

I remember the first time I moved after I started playing drums, my parents and I moved into a condo that shared both sides with other units. I don't remember how but I acquired some Pearl Rhythm Traveler heads (I don't remember buying them so they might have been given to me) and putting them on my kit (12-14-20) and it worked for a while... I think I had a foam-rubber pad for my snare. The mesh heads had realistic response and everything. I had something like 'cymbal sleeves' for my hi-hat and ride (they basically encased the cymbals in rubber, deadening them) and I peeled the foam-rubber off the 'practice cymbal' and put it on a 16" B8 crash to deaden it. We lived there for at least a year and half and I don't remember how long I used that stuff, but I was able to keep playing for the most part.

I played mostly during the day, and I would basically not play at night, unless very lightly or only for a few minutes. I only remember one time where the neighbor banged on my wall for me to stop. No one came over to complain, however. I think they were mostly out of the house working during the day so it didn't affect anyone.

Actually, lol, this makes me wonder if I could use this setup where I live now... I haven't played regularly in 5 years, god knows I need it. =)
Old 08-31-2013, 06:47 PM

Thanks for all useful notes.
Cheers
Sina
Old 08-31-2013, 07:02 PM
Silver Member

They have great compact E kits which can fit the bill. I used an E kit at my apartments in the states and in Germany.
Session Work
Old 09-01-2013, 01:40 AM

I went to UHaul and paid $70 a month for a climate controlled, 24 hour access and security, keycard entry storage unit where I would jam as loudly as I wanted, sometimes with a band, from midnight to 3 or 4AM a few nights a week. I am currently in the process of upgrading to a larger unit so that band practice is more comfortable.

One of the best decisions I ever made. No more neighbors/cops banging on the door or suppressed urges to jam at 11PM. If you really love playing, spend the money and allow yourself to play freely.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:52 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastille View Post
I went to UHaul and paid $70 a month for a climate controlled, 24 hour access and security, keycard entry storage unit where I would jam as loudly as I wanted, sometimes with a band, from midnight to 3 or 4AM a few nights a week. I am currently in the process of upgrading to a larger unit so that band practice is more comfortable.

One of the best decisions I ever made. No more neighbors/cops banging on the door or suppressed urges to jam at 11PM. If you really love playing, spend the money and allow yourself to play freely.
I also did this recently. I had a slightly larger unit that cost about $110 a month. I let it go because two nights a week I am working with my band at our practice space where we can be as loud as we want. Because my wife is working and I have a daughter I might go back to an E kit. Currently my house kit has mutes which help me get a decent amount of practice. I might throw some mesh heads and triggers on my jazz kit and use that as my "E" kit soon. I miss being able to mix my iPod into the mix.

But if you can I also prefer the actual acoustic kit. I had a great practice space in Germany where I could play at any hour and it was close to my house.
Session Work