DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 08-23-2013, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member

Default The NEW Batman is.....drum roll

I just read this this morning,Ben Affleck will play the Dark Knight in the upcoming Justice League movie with Superman in 2015

There are some who like his work in front of the camera,but to me.....Holy miscasting

I personally loved the trilogy with Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne/Batman.

I don't see Affleck even coming close to Bales intensity...or Batman voice.....

Steve B
Old 08-23-2013, 11:51 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: The NEW Batman is.....drum roll

Surely you missed the masterpiece that is Daredevil.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeplyTuna View Post
Ahahahaha.

He didn't miss much :P
Old 08-24-2013, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeplyTuna View Post
I was ,unforuneatey exposed to it,which is why,I just can't see Afflack as the caped crusader.Mostly everything that makes a good superhero movie was ignored,in that rag.

The internet seem to agree with me,as thousands are chatting this up in the negative concerning this complete miscasting of a part.

I'm a fan of both Val Kilmer and Geroge Clooney,but they were just terrible as Batman.

Let the search go on.

Steve B
Old 08-26-2013, 01:10 AM

I might catch some heat but there is no one that has played a good batman. A few of the guys did good Bruce Waynes but no one has done a good batman and Ben aflack is not about to start.
I've always believed that the role of batman and Bruce should be cast separately. All the two actors have to have in common is height and basic build. And chin. Just my ten cence. Although remember when word came out that ledger was playing joker and everyone was like "no way he's gonna suck" but he blew our minds, still has nothing on jack though, well I'm praying it's the same way with aflack.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:12 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Panther30 View Post
I might catch some heat but there is no one that has played a good batman. A few of the guys did good Bruce Waynes but no one has done a good batman and Ben aflack is not about to start.
I've always believed that the role of batman and Bruce should be cast separately. All the two actors have to have in common is height and basic build. And chin. Just my ten cence. Although remember when word came out that ledger was playing joker and everyone was like "no way he's gonna suck" but he blew our minds, still has nothing on jack though, well I'm praying it's the same way with aflack.
I thought Michael Keaton did a great job as Batman, and Bruce for that matter.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:32 AM

And may I be the first to say that Affleck couldn't do any *worse* than Bale?

Somebody had to say it.

What was with the stoopid I've-just-swallowed-a-handful-of-hot-gravel Bat-voice?
Old 08-26-2013, 05:59 AM
Renegade

James, I enjoy Christopher Bale's work ever since seeing the scope he brought to the lead villain role in American Psycho. Batman talks in a funny voice because he's damaged goods ... Gaga without the Lady ...

Ben A is like Sam Worthington and Eddie Murphy - their presence has no gravitas. Might as well hire Brendan Fraser if you're not going to go for depth (probably scared off real intensity by Heath's passing).
Old 08-26-2013, 12:03 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Although remember when word came out that ledger was playing joker and everyone was like "no way he's gonna suck" but he blew our minds, still has nothing on jack though, well I'm praying it's the same way with aflack.
And here's what the interweb had to say about Mr Ledger playing the Joker when it was first announced (need some wine to wash those words down with)?
http://cheezburger.com/7756374528
Old 08-26-2013, 01:10 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
I just read this this morning,Ben Affleck will play the Dark Knight in the upcoming Justice League movie with Superman in 2015

There are some who like his work in front of the camera,but to me.....Holy miscasting

I personally loved the trilogy with Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne/Batman.

I don't see Affleck even coming close to Bales intensity...or Batman voice.....

Steve B
Well... Val Kilmer, Michael Keaton, Christian Bale or Ben Affleck, none of them can impersonate, behave and act like me, perhaps it's time I do a biography film about my life... at least it will be the real thing :)
Old 08-26-2013, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
And may I be the first to say that Affleck couldn't do any *worse* than Bale?

Somebody had to say it.

What was with the stoopid I've-just-swallowed-a-handful-of-hot-gravel Bat-voice?
When watching all three Dark Knight movies,one of the character points was ,be something larger than just a man,and wear a disguise to protect thoase that matter to you.

Part of the mask/cowl/disguise,was the voice.How could he function as both Batman and Bruce Wayne,around people that know either one,without disguising his voice also?

One of the big downfalls of the Superman/Clark Kent "disguise"...eyeglasses...really?

Not so "stoopid",Bale is a gifted actor who elaborated on Keatons concept,of altering his voice while he was in his Batman persona........you should watch the first "Batman" from 1980.

As far as his performance as Bruce Wayne/Batman,he did an amazing job of,bringing to life,the duality and conflict of a very dark story.

So I must completly disagree with you assessment of Bales performance.I feel he was the best so far to don the cowl and cape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Well... Val Kilmer, Michael Keaton, Christian Bale or Ben Affleck, none of them can impersonate, behave and act like me, perhaps it's time I do a biography film about my life... at least it will be the real thing :)
Coming to a theater near you.................summer 2015.............the Dark Knight returns,............Henri is....................BATMAN.....the caped drummer.:)

Steve B

Last edited by Bernhard; 08-26-2013 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Edited by Arky: merging consecutive posts
Old 08-26-2013, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
James, I enjoy Christopher Bale's work ever since seeing the scope he brought to the lead villain role in American Psycho. Batman talks in a funny voice because he's damaged goods ... Gaga without the Lady ...

Ben A is like Sam Worthington and Eddie Murphy - their presence has no gravitas. Might as well hire Brendan Fraser if you're not going to go for depth (probably scared off real intensity by Heath's passing).
+1000 Grea.Bale brought an intensity to the role,of a conflicted soul,damaged and traumatized from childhood,and motivated to do what ordinary men can't do,when bound by a corrupt and all to inept system of justice.

Most tend to forget that , tragety befell the Bruce Wayne character as a boy.

Damaged goods indeed

Ben Afflacks presence, or more accurately,the lack of it,is about as exciting,as a piece of white bread and a glass of milk..

Steve B
Old 08-27-2013, 12:45 AM
Pioneer Member

Hey it could have been worse. Could have been Johnny Depp. Wonder how Robert Downey Jr would do as Batman..... Oh I'm just kidding.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:52 AM
Platinum Member

Loved the interpretation as presented in The Dark Knight movies. Thought Bale was the best Batman since Adam West!!

As for Val? He may have undersold Batman.......but has there ever been a better Doc Holiday? Now there's a role he completely owned.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:55 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Loved the interpretation as presented in The Dark Knight movies. Thought Bale was the best Batman since Adam West!!

As for Val? He may have undersold Batman.......but has there ever been a better Doc Holiday? Now there's a role he completely owned.
I loved Adam West. One of my favorite TV shows as a kid.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmc View Post
And here's what the interweb had to say about Mr Ledger playing the Joker when it was first announced (need some wine to wash those words down with)?
Maybe it's me being illiterate but is the part in quotations directed towards me? If so why? :)
Old 08-27-2013, 01:01 AM

Just when I started taking Batman seriously, Bale bounces.

Not looking forward to The Dahk Night.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fur drummer View Post
I loved Adam West. One of my favorite TV shows as a kid.
It had everything didn't it?.........including Julie Newmar!! Mmmmmm Julie Newmar.

Which in turn reminds me of Michelle Pfeiffer. Mmmmmm Michelle Pfeiffer. Has god ever created a more perfect speciman of beauty? And if he has, he sure as hell didn't put her in latex.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:48 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Maybe it's me being illiterate but is the part in quotations directed towards me? If so why? :)
Time for yet another internet misunderstanding I guess : )
Nope, comment was directed towards the people who made those comments "back in the day" (hindsight is always 20/20 I guess)!
Old 08-27-2013, 12:01 PM

I liked Keaton as Batman too. I couldn't stand either Clooney or Kilmer in the role, but that could be because of the director (Joel Schumacher), who tried to make the movies as kitschy and glitzy as possible.

Bale wasn't too bad and I thought the just concluded trilogy was not too shabby, with the one with the Joker standing out the most.

Kind of odd the Joker wasn't one of the criminals freed by Bane in part 3. Think he got the chair?
Old 08-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It had everything didn't it?.........including Julie Newmar!! Mmmmmm Julie Newmar.

Which in turn reminds me of Michelle Pfeiffer. Mmmmmm Michelle Pfeiffer. Has god ever created a more perfect speciman of beauty? And if he has, he sure as hell didn't put her in latex.
Down boy.....roof,roof......Couldn't agree more.Lee Meriwether and Anne Hathaway ...filled....the costume,and role rather well also.

They can all scratch my post anyday.

The role of catwoman nearly went to Sean Young,instead of Michelle Pfeiffer.

Steve B
Old 08-27-2013, 07:46 PM

Well, ok, if not Ben Affleck (and I am not saying he was a good choice) then WHO?
Old 08-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The people that thought Heath Ledger couldn't fill the Jokers shoes,could not have known of the true depth of his talent,nor that he was cast by Christopher Nolan,the mastermind behind the Batman trilogy.

Ben Affleck has yet to display those kind of acting chops,and nothing to date,indicates he has that kind of depth,......but ,we'll see.

Steve B
Old 08-27-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
The people that thought Heath Ledger couldn't fill the Jokers shoes,could not have known of the true depth of his talent,nor that he was cast by Christopher Nolan,the mastermind behind the Batman trilogy.

Ben Affleck has yet to display those kind of acting chops,and nothing to date,indicates he has that kind of depth,......but ,we'll see.

Steve B
But what about Gigli? ; )
Old 08-27-2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Time for yet another internet misunderstanding I guess : )
Nope, comment was directed towards the people who made those comments "back in the day" (hindsight is always 20/20 I guess)!
Ah ok. I figured that much but I wanted to make sure I wasn't stepping on your toes.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:14 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdrummer View Post
Well, ok, if not Ben Affleck (and I am not saying he was a good choice) then WHO?
Mark Wahlberg. His repertoire is fairly large, he is able to do most any type of roll from retarded comedy to serious and intense, and overall is a really good actor. Maybe we could splice an old movie of his with Batman, ladies and gentleman I give you The Boogie Knight!
Old 08-28-2013, 01:39 AM
Platinum Member

On side note, the lead actor from "Breaking Bad" will play Lex Luthor in an upcoming Superman movie. http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/n...steel-20130826
Old 08-28-2013, 03:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
James, I enjoy Christopher Bale's work ever since seeing the scope he brought to the lead villain role in American Psycho.
Did you see "Harsh Times"? Bale does good work in that one, too.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The role of catwoman nearly went to Sean Young,instead of Michelle Pfeiffer.
Definitely the right choice. Mind you, Pfeiffer cast as a bag lady would still be the right choice! :-)
Old 08-28-2013, 01:44 PM
Renegade

Didn't see Harsh Times, Doc. Will YT it.

Quote:
Saw an old Batman episode yesterday. I think I like Adam West best after all.

I always thought of Batman as goofy and found it strange for all these "dark" and gloomy depictions crop up. They're entertaining but no matter how serious they try to be, they're still goofy.

A guy dresses up like a bat to fight crime. Nobody ever recognises him under the mask, despite his high profile. He has an arch enemy. The arch enemy has a theme. The Joker or The Penguin.

Goofy, all of it.

Come to think of it, Ben Affleck could work out ... and bring back the Kapow! captions.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Didn't see Harsh Times, Doc. Will YT it.

Saw an old Batman episode yesterday. I think I like Adam West best after all.

I always thought of Batman as goofy and found it strange for all these "dark" and gloomy depictions crop up. They're entertaining but no matter how serious they try to be, they're still goofy.

A guy dresses up like a bat to fight crime. Nobody ever recognises him under the mask, despite his high profile. He has an arch enemy. The arch enemy has a theme. The Joker or The Penguin.

Goofy, all of it.

Come to think of it, Ben Affleck could work out ... and bring back the Kapow! captions.

True, but that was more for another time. Jumping over giant coins, sleeping next to Dick Grayson... The character has undergone a massive re-imagining since, fighting murderers and rapists. You should check out Batman Year One, one of the best graphic novels out there. Bats is seriously one creepy dude, one step away from the loony bill.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

"I'll be your little huckleberry."...Killmer was born to play that role.Dennis Quade was good ,but Val just killed it.

Steve B
Old 08-28-2013, 08:31 PM
Gold Member

I was pulling for Jack Black...as long as he put on a couple pounds around the waist...and interpreted the role with plenty of dance.