DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 06-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Footwear?

Just stumbled (not literally) upon these Skechers, and they're great!

They're extremely light and comfortable, great grip & feel from the sole, and they really let me control the pedal without my foot shifting/sliding inside the shoe. These grey ones are my everyday shoes, and I have a black pair for touring (they also come in blue a one or two other colors.) I don't usually get excited about clothing, but these were a real revelation when I used them for the first time!

Got them last month at the Skechers outlet for $30, so don't wait too long to check them out.

Bermuda
Old 06-09-2013, 06:14 PM

I started using the Vibram Five Finger barefoot shoes and the feel like gloves for your feet. For me it's the best of both worlds.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

At home, I play with whatever I happen to be wearing, but for gigs, I prefer to have somethign with a higher heel as I find that helps me. Dress boots or western boots are the best for me.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:10 PM

Crocs for years now. Lately, though, I've gone a little more upscale: I discovered the Crocs Cove Sport boat shoe, http://www.crocs.com/crocs-cove-spor...otwear-loafers . Super lightweight, just slippery enough on the footboards, and cool. As a heel-up guy with absurdly sweaty feet, they bring a lot to the party...

And they work on boats, too. (;-)
Old 06-12-2013, 03:01 AM
Platinum Member

Love the lightweight Rockport's, almost like dancing shoes -

I like how comfortable the Sperry canvas boat shoes are, but they make my feet ache after a couple of hours.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:26 AM

I kind of just played in the shoes I had already, and by trial and error and just noticing which ones worked best, I typically use a pair of Nike FREE running shoes. Really light and really flexible sole. It also helps because I also like to play barefoot, and these shoes are the closest I have gotten.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:42 PM

I recall that Cozy Powell always wore boxing boots - not my preference but worth a look.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:48 AM

dude.. just play lol a shoe wont affect how you make music

Best drumsticks for metal?
Best cymbal sleeves for sabian?
Best kick beater height?

None of that matters, it's all preference. If you want to play without shoes play without shoes. Unless you're wearing a lead boot, a shoe that you wear won't affect how you play or how you make music. just make music.

just wear what you think is comfortable
Old 07-08-2013, 06:27 PM

Default The FEET Thread...

As in, do you wear something on your feet when you play? (Barefoot, Socks, Shoes?)
Go into as much detail as you please.

As for me, I have played shoed, socked, and barefooted for good deals of time respectively. However, I choose to play with nothing on my feet as It seems to me that I get more control and precision with my pedals (HiHat and Kicks). The only downsides to this are that I have to wipe down my pedals immediately after an extended practice session, but I do not mind this.

What about you guys?
Old 07-21-2013, 01:20 PM

i was strictly barefooted for 30+ years i switched over to these, great grip, and you still get pretty much the sensitivity as you would with bare feet.

PUMA Speedcat SD
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2013, 07:06 PM

I tried watershoes but that didn't cut it for me, dunno why, then sandals (Teva) worked, but too light, now I wear a pair of Underarmour shoes. These work better because I like the added weight of a shoe combined with the flat bottom. Sorry, no pics. I used to play barefoot, but found that wearing shoes added weight I needed, but just like you, I couldn't do heel-toe with them on. I wear a monstrous size 15 shoe, so as you can imagine, it wasn't easy with a regular length board. But a sandal works well because I can go a few sizes smaller and just have my toes hang over the top. Plus, totally flat on the bottom. I am still thinking on going longboard due my big feet. But try sandals....
Gibraltar
Old 08-21-2013, 11:15 PM

I've been using something similar to the puma speedcats for a while now and I feel that they give me more control over the pedal. I've heard a few drummers use dance shoes.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:29 PM

I can do doubles pretty good with socks.. i tried in several types of shoes and i'm still looking for ones that will let me. The issue with the technique it think were both using.. (look at my video if you want to see it, I'm not here to repost) is that i arch my foot a bit for my heel stroke behind my pedal. with shoes being flat and not allowing my foot to bend i cant get it as easy.

also. with doing double strokes at VERY fast speeds i like to FEEL the hits... shoes make it harder to do so.

i played in shoes live and socks in the house for the first 12 years of my drumming i would say over the last 3 years I play in socks and I like it al ot more.

shoes give you WAY more power in your stroke too though if find.

boating shoes / those individual toe shoes are the next two I'm going to try
Old 08-23-2013, 08:23 PM
Silver Member

I just play in Chucks, usually. I was a socks guy for the longest time, but I wanted to be able to play comfortably in shoes. I've always played heel toe. It took a little getting used to, but now my heel doesn't really even touch the footboard. There are still certain things I can't do with shoes, like the consistent rocking between heel and toe strikes (in socks, I can do pretty consistent 8th notes on a single pedal at around 215bpm). It's gonna' be a slow climb to get to that point with shoes, but It'll be worth it, to me.

Also, I do agree that I seem to get more power out of my strikes when wearing shoes.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeplyTuna View Post
Socks for me, every time. I like to feel the pedal and I don't thinks it's that gross since you're going to get sweaty either way. At gigs I just take off my shoes and still 'em behind me. There's no way I'll go back to wearing footwear while playing. Just my 2 cents.
This.

Based on my experience , any time I'm not playing intricate (read: not constant) double bass at over 200bpms, the shoes matter less. Constant double bass is easier than starting/stopping/16th's 8th's 16th's 16th-rest 16th's, etc...

If I'm playing normal stuff, shoes/drums/sticks - none of that matters. It's only when I'm being pushed to my limits.

Hell, when I play full out - I need a fan. I even have a fan preference. lol!