DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 08-20-2013, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member

Default To da MAX!

Every now and then I must revisit with the master, Max Roach. I remember seeing this performance on tv on PBS back in the early 80s and was mesmerized - the whole concert was about an hour long, but this video clip is of a drum solo he did that was in five - with an ostinato played by his feet the whole time. Amazing musician. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y8Il-yRz_A

And thanks to this video, along with early pictures of Bonham, I was subliminally hooked on natural thermagloss maple ;)
Old 08-20-2013, 02:37 PM

Default Re: To da MAX!

That was simply amazing! And how he's keeping delicate time on the hi hat was yummy. And what was that left hand/arm thing he was doing on the hi hats? That was just incedible! Talk about intricate drum work...very tasteful.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightraider43 View Post
That was simply amazing! And how he's keeping delicate time on the hi hat was yummy. And what was that left hand/arm thing he was doing on the hi hats? That was just incedible! Talk about intricate drum work...very tasteful.
Yeah, Max is the MAN!!

It's a shame this thread doesn't have more views.

You can see more of the hi-hat lick in this video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8syiOwwVyY

You can see how he pivots the stick and plays the hi-hat with the top and bottom of the stick. You can do some really cool stuff with that trick. Not that I've exploited it nearly enough...
Old 08-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

The HH work was stupid good :)

Every Tuesday night, the BF and I go to our local bar/hangout for bike night. They've got the best jukebox in town which includes selections by Mr. Roach. I always play at least one :) This was a great lead in to my Tuesday night!
Old 08-21-2013, 03:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
The HH work was stupid good :)

Every Tuesday night, the BF and I go to our local bar/hangout for bike night. They've got the best jukebox in town which includes selections by Mr. Roach. I always play at least one :) This was a great lead in to my Tuesday night!
Wow Mary, I never took you as a Max fan. I know you're listening to the right stuff!

YouTube also has the entire concert posted where this solo was taken from and the band's first tune was just stupid fast. Max even introduced it that back when he played with Parker and Gillespie, among others, they would always play the fastest song first. And you think Will Kennedy with the Yellowjackets are on speed? Max's band was absolutely flying for the first number of the night! And there's Mr. Roach, looking proper in that suit, not even breaking a sweat! Incredible ;)
Old 08-21-2013, 08:04 AM
Gold Member

Good stuff! Thanks for posting that. It's funny how many drummers were influenced by Max. I know I've heard Bonham and Bruford doing that hi-hat/bass drum pattern during solos.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 08-21-2013, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, Max was the man. I think of all the drummers from the bebop era, Max was my favorite at expressing the really fast uptempo stuff. He just seemed to articulate his ideas so well, even at those breakneck speeds.

A funny story by Bill Cosby (himself a jazz drummer) and how Max "saved" him one night. http://youtu.be/1Zn-P0ZH3_M
Old 08-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Yeah, Max was the man. I think of all the drummers from the bebop era, Max was my favorite at expressing the really fast uptempo stuff. He just seemed to articulate his ideas so well, even at those breakneck speeds.

A funny story by Bill Cosby (himself a jazz drummer) and how Max "saved" him one night. http://youtu.be/1Zn-P0ZH3_M
Good thing Bill Cosby didn't quit his day job ;)