DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Hearing protection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinSD View Post
Actually, those have a decent NRR. When practicing, don't they block out certain frequencies and muffle the tones?
In a live music or full band situation, yes they do somewhat. It is a slight adjustment. You have to pay attention a little more. However, they really offer a great amount of protection and are really comfortable.

Quote:
What have you guys found that has a high NRR (at least 25??) and still gives clarity of your frequencies? (without muffling them)
I went to an audiologist and I had custom hearing protection made for myself. It was more expensive, but high frequencies get through better, and the NRR protection cannot be compared to something off the shelf other than over the ear muffs such as these

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-H10A...I1BP3SINW1SKNE

I love those when practicing by myself.

Here's a photo of the custom ear protection I had made.

These are the same as a custom in ear monitor set up, minus the drivers of course. The doctor puts a camera in your ear on a big screen and checks your hearing and the condition of your inner ear etc. Then you get the molds done and pick your colors and options.

These are not as comfortable as the foam ones, but they offer excellent protection.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:56 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Where/when will you be using the head phones? At your music event?
If you have ever been to a drum day (go to http://drumdaytulsa.com/) there is a lot of down time between evens so EACH drummer plays his/her own thing. It is too loud to do this without ear protection (sounds like sitting under a fully revved jet engine) but I want to play along with some recordings I plan on taking. Can I use the noise canceling headphones WITH the ear plugs or do I take the ear plugs out when I use the head phones? I know this is a stupid question but I am a stupid guy who has never done this before.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:27 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zickos View Post
If you have ever been to a drum day (go to http://drumdaytulsa.com/) there is a lot of down time between evens so EACH drummer plays his/her own thing. It is too loud to do this without ear protection (sounds like sitting under a fully revved jet engine) but I want to play along with some recordings I plan on taking. Can I use the noise canceling headphones WITH the ear plugs or do I take the ear plugs out when I use the head phones? I know this is a stupid question but I am a stupid guy who has never done this before.
If your headphones cancel out enough exterior sound where you don't have to turn them up too loud to play along, then you should be able to take out the earplugs.

It depends on how effective your headphones are to the background noise. Just make sure you don't turn the volume up too loud if they are not that effective.

I do almost the same thing when I play along or record a cover. I use in ear monitors (ear plug type) and then cover those with shooting range ear muffs. In your case, if you're nothing is mic'd, you'll want to hear your drumming as well.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:08 AM

Great to see that some of you guys are taking your hearing seriously. Those that aren't need to take care. I'm 50 and played drums in rock bands in the 70s, 80's and 90's without any hearing protection. My hearing is badly damaged now and those of you that take comfort that the ringing in your ears goes away after a gig will find that over time, it won't go way - EVER. It'll be with you morning, noon and night. The kind of noise levels generated behind an average kit will permanently bend and thus destroy the little hairs in your inner ear (cochlea) creating the endless ringing I hear now as well as wiping out your upper frequencies. My advice to you is take care of your precious ears and enjoy your music for many more years.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:00 AM
Gold Member

Eh? What did you say?
Old 08-20-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
If your headphones cancel out enough exterior sound where you don't have to turn them up too loud to play along, then you should be able to take out the earplugs.

It depends on how effective your headphones are to the background noise. Just make sure you don't turn the volume up too loud if they are not that effective.

I do almost the same thing when I play along or record a cover. I use in ear monitors (ear plug type) and then cover those with shooting range ear muffs. In your case, if you're nothing is mic'd, you'll want to hear your drumming as well.
Noise-cancelling headphones are not very good at handling transient noises, like drums. They are best at eliminating more constant background noises, like a running lawnmower, jet engines, road noise, etc. They just don't react quickly enough to cancel out quick, loud noises.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:38 PM

http://images.nitrosell.com/product_...-ear-plugs.jpg

Have had these for a couple of years. They're pretty comfortable and have inter-changeable
filters. Not too expensive, either.